The Mothers-in-Law on DVD and TV

HarryCarter

That's great although I don't think my cable gets ME-Tv.....With the thousands of hours (hundred's of thousands?) of TV programs sitting in vaults, there could be a dozen of these channels. And I'd think it would be a buyer's/programmer's market and that most of them would be pretty cheap. Not only TV series but what about all those made for TV movies, and one-time-shown specials---like "Lucy Gets Lucky"--and those great plays done for TV that swept the Emmys in the past. AND those great NET Playhouse shows. (what PBS is today)

It's a crying shame that musician union-dictated music rights mean that all those great variety specials can't be re-shown--above board anyway. I don't know what the rules are exactly but I think some are shown here and there with the hope that nobody will notice.

My friend gets the "Jewish TV" channel ("The Chosen Network" is their slogan and I'm not making that up). They run bad kinescopes of The Dinah Shore Show, the variety series of the late 50s and early 60s. Why? Because Dinah evidently is of Jewish decent.

According to the ME-TV website, The Mothers-in-Law is joining the channel lineup soon.

THE MOTHERS-IN-LAW

I wish my cable company carried ME-TV. I have all the episodes of the show on DVD, but it's nice to know that they are in syndication again.

That's great although I don't think my cable gets ME-Tv.....With the thousands of hours (hundred's of thousands?) of TV programs sitting in vaults, there could be a dozen of these channels. And I'd think it would be a buyer's/programmer's market and that most of them would be pretty cheap. Not only TV series but what about all those made for TV movies, and one-time-shown specials---like "Lucy Gets Lucky"--and those great plays done for TV that swept the Emmys in the past. AND those great NET Playhouse shows. (what PBS is today)

It's a crying shame that musician union-dictated music rights mean that all those great variety specials can't be re-shown--above board anyway. I don't know what the rules are exactly but I think some are shown here and there with the hope that nobody will notice.

My friend gets the "Jewish TV" channel ("The Chosen Network" is their slogan and I'm not making that up). They run bad kinescopes of The Dinah Shore Show, the variety series of the late 50s and early 60s. Why? Because Dinah evidently is of Jewish decent.

They are showing Jack Benny over there, as well....enjoyable...Wherever we can 'see' them is fine with me.

• 9 months later...

Man I would love access to those Dinahs - that's the sort of rare old tv I like to see most, old talk shows because they pretty much never reappear after the initial broadcast. Wouldn't surprise me if there are dozens of Lucy appearances of this nature (and Desi, Viv, etc.) from the 50s/60s we don't know about because nobody here saw them or remembers them and there's no information ever been published about them. Has the music been cut from the Dinah shows or have they not been edited?

Joyce, the MIL shows were funny! I bought the DVDs online after reading glowing reviews here a long time ago. I think Kaye was the best actress in the ensemble. They replaced her husband with another actor in the second season & I didn't care for him -- so monotone. I hope you get to see it. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I love The Mothers-In-Law. I also have the DVD set, and was watching some episodes this past week. Eve and Kaye get into alot of Lucy & Ethel/Viv type mischief.

I just watched the episode where Susie has been checked into the hospital, to have her twins. Alice Ghostly is running the nurses' station, and Vanda Barra is also a nurse.

• 4 months later...

I pick

Premiere/Pilot (and does anyone GET that Lonergan title?)

"Locked in department Store/Call Desi in Spain"

"Meatball Cooking"

"The Kids Move into the Garage" (hide in shower, go up with garage door)

"Kids Move into the New Apartment" (all of them hide in hutch---they sure did a lot of hiding on this show)

"Susie Has the Baby"

"Didn't You Use to be Ossie Snick?"

"Not So Grand Opera"

I hope they don't pick the picker that picked the original Best of Here's Lucy box set episodes!

It's amazing that the original pilot and the one that followed are identical except for the casting of Susie. I think I prefer the other actress. Deborah Walley always seemed a tough harsh--and that heavy eye make-up didn't help.

My picks:

"A Night to Forget"

"The Newlyweds Move In"

"How Do You Moonlight a Meatball?"

"Here Comes the Bride Again"

"Hail, Hail the Gang's All Here"

"Didn't You Used to Be Ozzie Snick?"

"Void Where Prohibited By In-Laws"

I'll have to look these up. Can't remember what the plots of "Gang's" and "Prohibited" are.

I'll have to look these up. Can't remember what the plots of "Gang's" and "Prohibited" are.

"Hail, Hail the Gang's All Here" is when the entire neighborhood ends up watching TV at the Hubbards and Eve and Herb have to hid because they lied to the Buells about not being home.

"Void Where Prohibited By In-Laws" is the Blimpo cereal contest. There's a lot of stretching believability here, but I think it's a very funny one.

"Joe Namath" while not a quality episode was much easier for me to take than "

Generation Gap" "Sammy Davis" or "Donny Osmond". I think Lucie had a hand in picking these. Yes, it's impressive that they could put on a musical in 4 days in "Gap". Would have been even more impressive if it had been entertaining. If indeed Lucie did the picking and wanted the set to lean more to highlighting Kim, I'm surprised she didn't pick "Working Daughter", "Kim Moves Out" , "Wandering Mother" or (the ONE episode where Lucie steals the show and didn't make me want to call a cop) "Fights the System".....or even "Shoily the Secretary", though I'm not wild about that one. Of the 24 Best of HL selections, I count only FOUR from the last three seasons, whereas my picks would have been the opposite.

I'm glad they included "Pickle" and "ginger" though.

Back to MIL, "Void Where Prohibited" does have that great bit of Eve spinning around atop the barrel at the market, probably the Lucy-est thing Eve was required to do, but has the worst special effects ever.....though it's a bit charming in its naive execution. (I'm repeating myself but...) That bit never really worked. Something going amok and churning out something that spills out of a door when it's opened. It always defied too much logic. Even in "Tycoons", in order to fill up the closet the popcorn machine would have to be re-fed raw kernels. MIL did it again with the mimeograph machine filling the small room with paper--again where did the original paper come from?

Yes, when viewing wild comedy one must keep one eye closed to full logic, the some of these require you to close both eyes and wear dark glasses!

I can't think of other examples of this bit, but there has to be more.....Am I'm missing one where it worked well?

Not quite the same thing, but without that maddening bit-spoiling wide shot (where back-up foam-firers were revealed) in "One Good Grandmother", the fire extinguisher filling the hardware store with foam ALMOST worked.

"Joe Namath" while not a quality episode was much easier for me to take than "

Generation Gap" "Sammy Davis" or "Donny Osmond". I think Lucie had a hand in picking these. Yes, it's impressive that they could put on a musical in 4 days in "Gap". Would have been even more impressive if it had been entertaining. If indeed Lucie did the picking and wanted the set to lean more to highlighting Kim, I'm surprised she didn't pick "Working Daughter", "Kim Moves Out" , "Wandering Mother" or (the ONE episode where Lucie steals the show and didn't make me want to call a cop) "Fights the System".....or even "Shoily the Secretary", though I'm not wild about that one. Of the 24 Best of HL selections, I count only FOUR from the last three seasons, whereas my picks would have been the opposite.

I'm glad they included "Pickle" and "ginger" though.

Back to MIL, "Void Where Prohibited" does have that great bit of Eve spinning around atop the barrel at the market, probably the Lucy-est thing Eve was required to do, but has the worst special effects ever.....though it's a bit charming in its naive execution. (I'm repeating myself but...) That bit never really worked. Something going amok and churning out something that spills out of a door when it's opened. It always defied too much logic. Even in "Tycoons", in order to fill up the closet the popcorn machine would have to be re-fed raw kernels. MIL did it again with the mimeograph machine filling the small room with paper--again where did the original paper come from?

Yes, when viewing wild comedy one must keep one eye closed to full logic, the some of these require you to close both eyes and wear dark glasses!

I can't think of other examples of this bit, but there has to be more.....Am I'm missing one where it worked well?

Not quite the same thing, but without that maddening bit-spoiling wide shot (where back-up foam-firers were revealed) in "One Good Grandmother", the fire extinguisher filling the hardware store with foam ALMOST worked.

Oh you're referring to Shout! Factory's best of set, too. I was just thinking of MPI's "7 best" set. That selection was a little odd to me. Having seen the whole series now I also agree that Shout's selection was perhaps a bit strange, but then again, "best of" sets would consiset of different episodes for everyone if we were allowed to pick our own.

Now there's a MOD idea for you. Offer a complete series set, or allow fans to pick their 10 favorites for a custom MOD release just for those who want to own a select few.

• 5 months later...

We in Portland are snowed in.  A foot fell in the last two days and now is covered by a layer of frozen rain, so I've been housebound and decided to get out "the Mothers In Law" for a little marathon.

When "MIL" was on-target, it could be delightful.  The best episodes were centered around some event: the wedding, the re-wedding, the birth of the twins even though the last was a virtual remake of Little Ricky's birth with "Nursery School" thrown in.

Often though, they had no show: virtually no plot and really no script. They started to run out of ideas pretty early on; and that was the big downfall of MIL.

The baby's birth wasn't the only ILL remake.  I didn't realize there were so many:

"Never Do Business"'s remake substituted a refrigerator for the washing machine.  One of the more blatant steals was "The matador Makes a Movie" featuring Desi in his recurring role.  It combined elements of "talent Scout" (they all audition for Desi) "Bull fight Dance" (Eve and Kaye upstaged Desi's with a dancing camel and there was actually the same insert-shot winking that Lucy's bull does) and "Home Movies" (when the camel scene is screened for the head of the studio, Desi is shocked and embarrassed! But the executive loves it!  "How did you think of it?"  Desi and Ricky: "It just came to me....")

I haven't been able to find it but I SWEAR in one episode Eve called out "Herb?  Herb?  Whoa, Herb!" like Lucy's  "Viv? Viv? Whoa, Viv!" or Jerry's "Mom? Mom? Whoa, Mom!"

It's just too bad this show couldn't have been more consistent because when it was funny, it was very funny.  Eve was great--and game considering they gave her so much "Lucy" to do, not her forte.  But Kaye is the life of the show, getting the most spontaneous audience response, with a character and delivery we hadn't seen in a sitcom.  

I don't notice audience response sweetening on MIL and if a joke fell flat, they left it there.
Roger C and Herb are better than I remember, but the adult kids are as bland as LWL's.  Deborah Walley with her thick eye make-up actually looks a little trashy.  Richard Deacon is not bad, but a pale Roger C substitution.

I looked at the 67-68, 68-69 TV schedules to see the shows that were on simultaneously to MIL and NOTHING else was really funny in the LOL sense.  Bewitched had lost much of its charm, saved only by  Marion Lorne's last appearances.  The two MIL seasons ran concurrent to the last of The Lucy show, by far my least favorite, and the first of HL.   These two shows were the only ones doing "stick your neck out" comedy.  When it works, it's great but when it doesn't, it looks REALLY bad.  Compared to say, "My Three Sons" one of several shows churning out episodes so bland, it's impossible to tell a good one from a bad one.

Of the 95 or so network series on during the 67-68 season, there were only 20 comedies ( if you count "Batman"---which I GUESS is one).  Here's the list and most of the familiar ones had outstayed their welcome by this season:  11 on CBS, 5 on ABC, 4 on NBC

Sunday's only comedy Mothers in Law.
Monday: Lucy Show, Andy Griffith, Family Affair
Tuesday: I Dream of Jeannie, Good Morning World*
Wednesday: 2nd Hundred Years*, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, He &She*
Thuirsday: Batman, Flying Nun, Bewitched That Girl
Friday: Gomer Pyle, Accidental Family*
Saturday: My 3 sons, Hogan's Heroes and Petticoat Junction Get Smart

*Debuting shows cancelled either mid-season or at the end of their one season. "flying Nun" and "MIL" were the only new comedies renewed.

There are several of these I have a scant memory or didn't see any episodes of....including "Hogan's Heroes".

The Emmy nominees were (with their age in parenthesis) The Lucy Show, its only one (6), Family Affair (2), Bewitched (4), Hogan's Heroes (3) and the winner Get Smart (3).  It would have been nice for TLS to win one, even for this flawed season, which was as good as any of the other nominees.  With all the critical praise of "he&She" and Emmy nods for Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, it's surprising it didn't get a Best Comedy nom.  I don't remember it but someone who does, caught an episode more recently and said though Paula is charming, it really doesn't hold up.

MIL's 2nd season1968-69 continued the laugh-less sitcom tradition.  Lost 4 of the above (He&She, Good Morning, Accidental, 2nd Hundred Years) and added:

Doris Day, Julia, Ugliest Girl in Town, Blondie and Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and The Good Guys with Here's Lucy replacing The Lucy Show.

Oh the new comedies introduced these two years only Doris Day had a significant run : 5 years.  Nun and Julie ran 3, Ghost/Muir  and Mothers: 2.  (Bob Denver's "Good Guys" was renewed for a 2nd season but was cancelled by January.)

Comparing MIL and Lucy with what was on at the time makes me appreciate them much more. 

It wasn't until 1971 when we had good comedy choices again.  MTM, All in Family, Odd Couple all hit their strides in their 2nd seasons and we were treated to a  vastly improved HL when Bob and Madelyn were back contributing 1/3 of the scripts.

So (for those who made it to the end of this wordy post), what do people think of "MIL"?

Speaking of Kaye Ballard .....just ran across this announcement for those interested in seeing her "live" -- had heard about this being in the works and have been looking for confirmation of it and now, here it is!  Just one beef: Doesn't ANYONE ever appear in Palm Springs on a weekend??? I swear every major act/performer/show I've wanted to attend this past year and those coming up in 2014 are scheduled on weekday evenings!!!  Hopefully I can work it out but a guy can only ask for so much time off, ya know?? Guess I'll start practicing my cough! ;)

Kaye Ballard’s “Going Out of Business!” Farewell Show

kayeB.jpg?%20width=131

Veteran actress, Kaye Ballard,  is happy to present her “Going Out of Business!” Farewell Show. The “Going Out of Business!” Farewell Show will be hosted at Camelot Theatres on Tuesday, March 11th beginning at 7pm. The show will be almost two hours of live entertainment, with a 15 minute intermission. “There’s lots of singing and entertainment,” Ballard continued. “Plus some very special guest appearances and, of course, some fun surprises along the way!”

Veteran actress, Kaye Ballard, has been performing for more than sixty four years! To say she is a survivor is a bit of an understatement! But now, at eighty eight, Kaye has decided to retire. That’s the bad news. The good news is that Kaye’s giving Palm Springs area audiences one last chance to see her. “I wanted to do one last show before I retired,” Kaye said recently. “But the only business I know is show business, so I decided to just say I was going out of business!”

The show, aptly entitled “Kaye Ballard…is Going Out Of Business!,” is scheduled to take place on March 11, 2014, at the Camelot Theatres in Palm Springs. “It’s one show only,” Kay says. “None of this coming and going and coming and going for me. This is really it!” The show, which features almost two hours of live entertainment, begins at 7pm, and will include one 15 minute intermission. “There’s lots of singing and entertainment,” Ballard continued. “Plus some very special guest appearances and, of course, some fun surprises along the way!”

TICKET INFORMATION:

NOTE: The screening will be held at Camelot Theatres

TICKETS:

Regular: $55.00
Couples Special: $100.00 (Two Regular Tickets)
Premium Ticket: $88.00 (Reserved Front Row Section + Autographed Poster)

To purchase your tickets in-person, visit:
Camelot Theatres Box Office
(Open Daily, Call for Hours)
2300 E. Baristo Road,
Palm Springs, CA, 92262,
Box Office: 760-325-6565

Telephone Orders: 888-718-4253

Order online: Camelottickets.com

http://www.camelottheatres.com/2014/01/24/kaye-ballards-going-out-of-business-farewell-show/

Great post, Neil! It's interesting that almost no NBC sitcoms prior to the 1970s ever had any life in syndication. The exceptions would probably be I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart, and Hazel. The latter two both completed their runs on CBS. It looks like during the seasons The Mothers -in-Law ran the only sitcoms filmed before a live studio audience were it, Lucy, He & She, and Good Morning World.

I saw Kaye in concert a year and a half ago and she was marvelous. I strongly recommend anyone who has the chance to see her to do so. I went to a Gavin MacLeod book signing a few months ago and he said he would be joining his pal Kaye onstage in this show.

Archived