Lucy Related Trivia

HarryCarter

Damn, I forget the crowd I'm dealing with who knows as much/more than I do! Most of the time I thoroughly stump Lucy lay-men!

Was there a Here's Lucy that established her maiden name as McGillicuddy too? I knew Hinkley, but wasn't aware of McGillicuddy.

Lucy says her maiden name is McGillicuddy in "Lucy and the Professor."

:lucy2: I gave him my maiden name.

:gale1: I'm surprised you could remember that far back.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Frank Sinatra ever appear on any of Lucy's shows over the decades?

I don't believe he appeared on any of her shows, Claude; wish someone could enlighten me, though. Here's what I have where they appeared 'together':

Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' long-time friend; with Lucille, A Tribute to 'Mr. Television', Milton Berle, and with Lucille, Gene Kelly: An American in Pasadena, 1978; with Lucille and Desi, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, archivally, That's Dancing! 1985; with Lucille, archivally, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996, as well as with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1915.

SEPTEMBER 21, 2011; ADDENDUM TO YESTERDAY'S POSTING....

I'VE FOUND LOTS MORE 'STUFF' THE TWO APPEARED IN TOGETHER; WILL ADJUST AND RE-SEND WHEN I GET IT FINALIZED....THANKS FOR HELPING WITH MY 'EDITING' PROCESS. jk

I don't believe he appeared on any of her shows, Claude; wish someone could enlighten me, though. Here's what I have where they appeared 'together':

Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz' long-time friend; with Lucille, A Tribute to 'Mr. Television', Milton Berle, and with Lucille, Gene Kelly: An American in Pasadena, 1978; with Lucille and Desi, American Masters: Judy Garland: By Myself, 1983; with Lucille, archivally, That's Dancing! 1985; with Lucille, archivally, The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, 1992; with Lucille, archivally, Bob Hope: Hollywood's Brightest Star, 1996, as well as with Desi and Lucille, via archival footage, Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's, 1997, is born this date in 1915.

Yes he DID Joyce, in a way. When one of the ILL episodes ran a bit short, Desi decided to fill it up with one of the best two minute clips he could get his hands on, he asked a BIG studio to allow him to use a Frank Sinatra clip from his latest big screen hit, Guys and Dolls i believe it was. Frank got calls from everybody the day after it aired and he called asking how the hell he wound up on I Love Lucy? Of course this bit should have been on one of the dvds but wasn't, and it only aired the first time the show aired on National TV i believe.

..Waits up for Chris and can't think of the title -- Great Bank Robbery (3rd Season)...why? :D

Isn't that Viv's bedroom in both of those episodes? Definitely in Waits Up For Chris.

We see Lucy Carmichael's bedroom in Lucy Buys a Sheep and Lucy & The Monsters, I think.

Yes he DID Joyce, in a way. When one of the ILL episodes ran a bit short, Desi decided to fill it up with one of the best two minute clips he could get his hands on, he asked a BIG studio to allow him to use a Frank Sinatra clip from his latest big screen hit, Guys and Dolls i believe it was. Frank got calls from everybody the day after it aired and he called asking how the hell he wound up on I Love Lucy? Of course this bit should have been on one of the dvds but wasn't, and it only aired the first time the show aired on National TV i believe.

I DO remember reading that; but, chose not to put it in; seems Frank Sinatra made some 'stink' about it, didn't he? ANYONE???? JK

I DO remember reading that; but, chose not to put it in; seems Frank Sinatra made some 'stink' about it, didn't he? ANYONE???? JK

A star of his stature just wondered how he wound up singing a song on the medium's biggest television show without anybody even asking him if he wanted to do it, the studio decided for him and i''m sure Frank would have wanted some sort of compensation for appearing on a hit television show.

Yes! Strangely enough, her bedroom set in Lucy & The Monsters was identical to the layout Viv's room had in the pilot!

Well, ya know they still weren't big on continuity plus the bedroom would have been a swing set, not one of the standing regular ones used in most episodes (kitchen/dining area/living room). :D

A star of his stature just wondered how he wound up singing a song on the medium's biggest television show without anybody even asking him if he wanted to do it, the studio decided for him and i''m sure Frank would have wanted some sort of compensation for appearing on a hit television show.

If Frank objected to appearing on a television show, it must have been during a brief career peak in the 50s: his "Fron Here to Eternity" Oscar, because he had TWO flop variety shows, one in the early 50s before "Eternity" and one in the latter 50s on the lowly ABC network, no less.

If Frank objected to appearing on a television show, it must have been during a brief career peak in the 50s: his "Fron Here to Eternity" Oscar, because he had TWO flop variety shows, one in the early 50s before "Eternity" and one in the latter 50s on the lowly ABC network, no less.

I know, that's why the ratings prompted him to make that comment that he had had it with TV and Lucy could have it. His complaint about appearing on I Love Lucy was probably only because he wasn't even consulted on it, the studio just sent the film to Desi without even mentioning it to him. I'm sure, deep down, when everybody told him they had seen him on the show, he had to be happy about it.

There was ONLY ONE of the color-filmed episodes of The Lucy Show's 2nd and 3rd season that CBS actually aired in color in prime time. Can you name it?

(I pretty sure I'm right about this)

"Lucy and the Ceramic Cat," which was part of the Here's Lucy summer replacement cycle?

"Lucy and the Ceramic Cat," which was part of the Here's Lucy summer replacement cycle?

As Lucy says when Ethel gets the Italian movie part: OOOOOHHHHHHHHH!

Yes, you're mostly right.

(I'm pretty sure) it aired during the summer of 1968 before Here's Lucy debuted. Because the TV season started so early back them, usually right after Labor Day, TLS started reruns in March usually before any other series and initially they ran season 6 episodes, but and then ran shows from previous seasons, but this was the only pre-California that was originally shown in b/w. Though TLS reruns replaced Here's Lucy for the next three summers, this one was not shown again. It's no wonder TLS and HL are meshed together as one series so often.

TLS allowed itself ONE rerun during the season before it officially went into "the first in a series of reruns" (as TV Guide used to say). I only remember the episode selected for the last three years of TLS, seasons 4,5 and 6. Any guesses as to what they were?

• 11 months later...

Archived