Viv & Bill in "Shower of Stars: High Pitch"

Here are Vivian and Bill co-starring in Shower of Stars' "High Pitch" with Tony Martin and Marguerite Piazza. This originally aired May 12, 1955 (three days after "Harpo Marx" aired on I Love Lucy).

This show was originally broadcast in color (and I'm sure no longer exists in color). It's interesting that Viv and Bill appeared on color TV more than seven years before Lucy made her color TV debut.

Here are Vivian and Bill co-starring in Shower of Stars' "High Pitch" with Tony Martin and Marguerite Piazza. This originally aired May 12, 1955 (three days after "Harpo Marx" aired on I Love Lucy).

This show was originally broadcast in color (and I'm sure no longer exists in color). It's interesting that Viv and Bill appeared on color TV more than seven years before Lucy made her color TV debut.

Harry: Thanks for sharing; I had not seen this prior to today....Fondly, JK

So was "Danny Kaye Special" Lucy's color TV debut? Weren't any of the Emmy shows broadcast (or other specials she may have appeared on) in color? I'd love to see that DK in pristine condition.

I think this "Shower of Stars" was right before videotape which means it was done live and this would be a kinescope. As far as I'm aware they did not make color kines and I'm not sure why. We'll never know what early live color TV looked like. So how did they insert canned laughter (or at the very least sweetening) into this live show, anyway?

What network was "Shower of Stars" on?

So was "Danny Kaye Special" Lucy's color TV debut? Weren't any of the Emmy shows broadcast (or other specials she may have appeared on) in color? I'd love to see that DK in pristine condition.

I think this "Shower of Stars" was right before videotape which means it was done live and this would be a kinescope. As far as I'm aware they did not make color kines and I'm not sure why. We'll never know what early live color TV looked like. So how did they insert canned laughter (or at the very least sweetening) into this live show, anyway?

Since it was a Desilu Production, wouldn't that mean it was on CBS???

Just wondering....anyone?? JK

The Danny Kaye Show was Lucy's color TV debut... unless we finally discover that "Ricky's Contract" was indeed filmed in color. CBS was rarely in color in those days and Lucy was rarely on NBC. The Paley Center for Media has a good quality color copy of The Danny Kaye Show.

"Shower of Stars" was on CBS. Jack Benny was on the show the most frequently. IMDB says it was a Desilu Production, but that is not true. I believe it was produced directly by CBS.

The Danny Kaye Show was Lucy's color TV debut... unless we finally discover that "Ricky's Contract" was indeed filmed in color. CBS was rarely in color in those days and Lucy was rarely on NBC. The Paley Center for Media has a good quality color copy of The Danny Kaye Show.

"Shower of Stars" was on CBS. Jack Benny was on the show the most frequently. IMDB says it was a Desilu Production, but that is not true. I believe it was produced directly by CBS.

Is there any OTHER WAY we can verify? Otherwise, I have some REALLY large re-editing to do....thanks for suggestions....Love, JK

unless we finally discover that "Ricky's Contract" was indeed filmed in color. CBS was rarely in color in those days and Lucy was rarely on NBC. The Paley Center for Media has a good quality color copy of The Danny Kaye Show.

If Lucy can steal John Wayne's cement footprints, I don't see WHY you can't sneak into the Paley Center, "borrow" their copy, take it home, make a duplicate and then sneak it back again. No one would be the wiser and everybody wins!

Is "Ricky's Contract" the Ben Benjamin Show?

If Lucy can steal John Wayne's cement footprints, I don't see WHY you can't sneak into the Paley Center, "borrow" their copy, take it home, make a duplicate and then sneak it back again. No one would be the wiser and everybody wins!

Is "Ricky's Contract" the Ben Benjamin Show?

"Ricky's Contract" is the one with where Ricky is expecting the phone call about his screen test and Fred leaves the message "Hollywood called. You got the job." It was announced that the episode that would air on that day would be filmed in color and there was a TV Guide ad that stated it was a color telecast. It's unlikely that it actually was filmed it color, though.

"Ricky's Contract" is the one with where Ricky is expecting the phone call about his screen test and Fred leaves the message "Hollywood called. You got the job." It was announced that the episode that would air on that day would be filmed in color and there was a TV Guide ad that stated it was a color telecast. It's unlikely that it actually was filmed it color, though.

This is a pretty good episode as the entire series goes, but one of the weakest in the whole stellar Hollywood arc. (Highlight: Mrs. McGillicuddy as a beany-topped teeny-bopper.)

But I suppose the (near) decision to film in color was based on the week and not the episode. "Gets in Pictures" would have been a good one to do in color, so we could see the chorus girl costumes in color. AND we could see what shade of green Lucy was after her ice cream binge at Schwabs.(Fred: "Well, at least she's not blue anymore." Ethel: "Oh, FRED") Has anyone ever seen any color pictures taken of the chorus girl scene?

And since you didn't even dignify my idea for a routine Lucy souvenir hunt with an acknowledgement, I assume that sort of thing is beneath you. Either that or you tried it already and were detained by the Paley Police. If I ever get to New York, I have a plan.....How much courage do you have??

This is a pretty good episode as the entire series goes, but one of the weakest in the whole stellar Hollywood arc. (Highlight: Mrs. McGillicuddy as a beany-topped teeny-bopper.)

But I suppose the (near) decision to film in color was based on the week and not the episode. "Gets in Pictures" would have been a good one to do in color, so we could see the chorus girl costumes in color. AND we could see what shade of green Lucy was after her ice cream binge at Schwabs.(Fred: "Well, at least she's not blue anymore." Ethel: "Oh, FRED") Has anyone ever seen any color pictures taken of the chorus girl scene?

And since you didn't even dignify my idea for a routine Lucy souvenir hunt with an acknowledgement, I assume that sort of thing is beneath you. Either that or you tried it already and were detained by the Paley Police. If I ever get to New York, I have a plan.....How much courage do you have??

"Ricky's Contract" is actually a New York based episode. At the end of the episode they find out they actually did hear from Hollywood and Ricky will be starring in Don Juan. It also contains the great Ethel telephone exchange:

"Lucy's quite a talker, especially when she gets wound up with one of her gabby friends like Carolyn. I'll leave a message you called Marge... :obrien: OH CAROLYN! I'll leave a message that you called, Carolyn dear.....". :unsure::blink:

"Don Juan is Shelved" is the one with teeny-bopper Mrs. McGillicuddy.

As for your Paley Center plan, I'm chicken!

"Ricky's Contract" is actually a New York based episode.

"Don Juan is Shelved" is the one with teeny-bopper Mrs. McGillicuddy.

As for your Paley Center plan, I'm chicken!

Or as you are more commonly known "Chicken Switch Carter"!

You are hereby demoted from your vice-president (in charge of snicky swishes) position.

Yeah, I got confused about the episode, probably because IMO "Contract" and "Shelved" are the weakest of the great story arc. (I count the New York build up as part of the Hollywood arc.)

You pointed out the highlight of "Contract" followed by that wonderful face Ethel makes as she's hanging up the phone.

Archived