THE LUCY SHOW: Season 3 - Coming to DVD on Nov. 30!

Robert13

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure that's true since they were originally broadcast in black and white! ;):D

That promo was terrific! Thanks for posting it!

Well, true. Guess I'm mentally comparing them to the chopped up washed out looking syndicated prints I'm accustomed to growing up... the difference is BEYOND "night and day"! lucythrill.JPG

Well, true. Guess I'm mentally comparing them to the chopped up washed out looking syndicated prints I'm accustomed to growing up... the difference is BEYOND "night and day"! lucythrill.JPG

Let's not forget the tv SETS WE WERE WATCHIG THEM ON ALSO, I SAW ALL OF ILL AND THE LDCH ON A 21 INCH BLACK AND WHITE SET WE USED TO REFER TO AS THE CANCEROUS SET AS IT WAS ALWAYS BEING REPAIRED. Sorry, pressed the caps by mistake.

Let's not forget the tv SETS WE WERE WATCHIG THEM ON ALSO, I SAW ALL OF ILL AND THE LDCH ON A 21 INCH BLACK AND WHITE SET WE USED TO REFER TO AS THE CANCEROUS SET AS IT WAS ALWAYS BEING REPAIRED. Sorry, pressed the caps by mistake.

Us too! We had a tall "blonde" vertical set (probably from Sears --don't remember the brand now) not unlike the Ricardos/Mertzes as featured in The Courtroom -- well, except ours had a real glass picture tube, no loose red and green wires in the back and when we kicked in the glass, the glass didn't break until AFTER we actually stuck our foot through it!! marionstrong.gif

We didn't get color till about 1968 or 69; again, I can't remember exactly. Damn! I can't remember any fine "details" anymore -- so frustrating!

AND THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION -- I THOUGHT MAYBE YOU WERE PISSED AT ME FOR SOMETHING OR OTHER!! ;)

Us too! We had a tall "blonde" vertical set (probably from Sears --don't remember the brand now) not unlike the Ricardos/Mertzes as featured in The Courtroom -- well, except ours had a real glass picture tube, no loose red and green wires in the back and when we kicked in the glass, the glass didn't break until AFTER we actually stuck our foot through it!! marionstrong.gif

We didn't get color till about 1968 or 69; again, I can't remember exactly. Damn! I can't remember any fine "details" anymore -- so frustrating!

AND THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION -- I THOUGHT MAYBE YOU WERE PISSED AT ME FOR SOMETHING OR OTHER!! ;)

LOL! I am having so much trouble typing, if i had a dollar for every time HTE comes out instead of THE, i could retire! Me and my dyslexic prepositions. What a coninkidink, i got my parents their first color set in '68 also. It was an RCA and they watched it in brown and white till someone came over and told us to adjust the colors, i paid 500 bucks for a used set that had a scratched cabinet as it would have been a thousand bucks normally. I had just started working and was making like a hundred bucks a week so that was pretty SPENSIVE, i had a twelve inch black and white in my first apartment, that's where i saw her on The Mike Douglas show showing some home movies of the kids walking around naked at the pool, i did not have cable back then so i watched it come in and out with a stupid antenna.

GOT IT! :HALKING: I was at the mall this morning before everything was open. First time in a while I've been out of bed, showered, checked email, and been out the door in 20 minutes flat. LOL!

:lol: Brock, I did the same thing. I was up early and drove over to my local Target. I spotted the orange cover a mile away. They only had 2 copies (same thing happened with Season 2). I grabbed it and now I'M SO EXCITED!!! I watched a bunch of eps from Season 2 last night. "Lucy and the Bank Scandal" is a classic! Also "Lucy and Viv Redecorate".

Thanks to DoreSchary for posting the video promo link. It's great to see the preview knowing I just bought the set.

:)

:lol: Brock, I did the same thing. I was up early and drove over to my local Target. I spotted the orange cover a mile away. They only had 2 copies (same thing happened with Season 2). I grabbed it and now I'M SO EXCITED!!! I watched a bunch of eps from Season 2 last night. "Lucy and the Bank Scandal" is a classic! Also "Lucy and Viv Redecorate".

Thanks to DoreSchary for posting the video promo link. It's great to see the preview knowing I just bought the set.

:)

ME TOO!! Went out at lunch time as I had scoped out the local Targets yesterday and sure enough, there were already placeholders for the DVDs ready and waiting, so I was able to zip out and grab a copy, which left only two behind (at least out on the racks). Glad I didn't wait till after work -- they might be all gone by then!!

Can't wait to get home to see 'em tonight ASAP. WOOHOO!!! :marionstrong:

I want Brock to check his chest to see if my family coat of arms is tatoo'd there, because we have such similar tastes. Maybe he's my son 'stolen away years ago by some Canadian gypsies'.

I was eagerly looking for my copy of Season 3 for one reason first and foremost: to see the uncut version of my favorite of the year (and Brock's!) "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey" in pristine color.

And I wasn't disappointed. It's one of the finest, most ambitious, most professionally produced Lucy Shows of the entire run. You certainly get a lot for your money is this jam-packed half hour.

I KNEW there had to be an opening scene, but I figured Lucy would be part of the committee and suggest 'her good friend' Arthur Godfrey for the lead. It's such a short scene I'll bet something was eliminated because it's not explained why Lucy volunteered Godfrey. Once again Lucy's looking very "Mame"-ish in her riding togs. There were at least 3 other times she wore this same outfit spanning 35 years! The "Founding of Danfield" show is a treat, funny, colorful, really well written with immediately catchy songs. A few notes and questions:

--all the songs seemed to have been done live with the exception of Lucy's "Drop the Hankie" and she fumbles her lipping a couple of times. Wonder why that one was pre-recorded.

--Lucy is game and tries for those high notes in "Things Will Be Dandy...". She stops trying at some point and just mouths the words when "the entire cast joins in".

--Gale's summersault. How many times did we see this? Was 1968 Carol Burnett gym musical the LAST time?

--This is Viv's best 3rd season episode. She's great in the horse scene, but "Steamboat Bessie" is sheer perfection. In retrospect, Lucy's answer to Bessie "Dixie Lucy" probably should NOT have been the same song, because it really shows off who is the singer and who is not.

--What a waste of Carole Cook! I only caught a glimpse or two of her and she was way off to the edge of the shot.

--The joke about Arthur doing the sugar cube commercial for his horse is lost on anyone who is not familiar with the nature of his daytime tv and radio shows. That's exactly how he would do the commercials on his show.

--I'm so used to the butchered up CBS/Nick version that I can tell exactly where the cuts were made. Arthur's "Reconstruction" reprise is gone. One scene cuts to commercial after Arthur's line: "Sometimes daddies can be just plain stupid." and they extend the laugh over that extremely fast end-of-scene music CBS edited in with a quick fade to black. They used this same segue many times. It sounds like lucy Show music but I don't know where it came from.

The next scene ends after "Steamboat Bessie" with Lucy saying "fire with fire." After commercial, it opens up right at the beginning of "dixie Lucy".

--It looks like Arthur is actually playing the banjo. Maybe HE should have joined Lucy, Lucie and Wayne Newton for the "Waiting for Robert E Lee" finale!

--Godfrey is perfect as is Max Showalter, but Gale really rises to the occasion having great fun with this style of comedy. Lucy, too is wonderful (except for an occasional clinker)and looks tremendous

--Notice how the audience oo's and ah's the set which they see before we do. (we see the "founding of Danfield" title sign).

--Scriptwriters were Iz Elinson and Fred Fox, the OTHER Bob and Bob who contributed to season 2. I don't know that they wrote Lucy Shows past this season, but theirs were some of the best. I know elinson died in 1967 or so and Fox teamed up with Seamon Jacobs. His scripts with Elinson were so much better. Someone in the know once told me that "'Izzy' carried Fox" which I can believe.

I'm saving "World's Fair" for a special time.

"Lucy and Joan" is actually the episode with Joan Blondell and notJoan Crawford. :)

Lucy and Joan is a great season 4 show because it has some great comedy moments and it is nice to see Lucy with an attractive guy. I love the ending when he takes his mother instead of Lucy out and Lucy says she hopes her son will do that for her someday. I love that emotion as well as reference to her family. I miss not just Viv but also the kids after season 3 because they gave the show not just a more realistic feel but also emotional storyline as well. Lucy and the Lost Star with Joan Crawford was entertaining but I found it not Lucy's best.

I want Brock to check his chest to see if my family coat of arms is tatoo'd there, because we have such similar tastes. Maybe he's my son 'stolen away years ago by some Canadian gypsies'.

I was eagerly looking for my copy of Season 3 for one reason first and foremost: to see the uncut version of my favorite of the year (and Brock's!) "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey" in pristine color.

And I wasn't disappointed. It's one of the finest, most ambitious, most professionally produced Lucy Shows of the entire run. You certainly get a lot for your money is this jam-packed half hour.

I KNEW there had to be an opening scene, but I figured Lucy would be part of the committee and suggest 'her good friend' Arthur Godfrey for the lead. It's such a short scene I'll bet something was eliminated because it's not explained why Lucy volunteered Godfrey. Once again Lucy's looking very "Mame"-ish in her riding togs. There were at least 3 other times she wore this same outfit spanning 35 years! The "Founding of Danfield" show is a treat, funny, colorful, really well written with immediately catchy songs. A few notes and questions:

--all the songs seemed to have been done live with the exception of Lucy's "Drop the Hankie" and she fumbles her lipping a couple of times. Wonder why that one was pre-recorded.

--Lucy is game and tries for those high notes in "Things Will Be Dandy...". She stops trying at some point and just mouths the words when "the entire cast joins in".

--Gale's summersault. How many times did we see this? Was 1968 Carol Burnett gym musical the LAST time?

--This is Viv's best 3rd season episode. She's great in the horse scene, but "Steamboat Bessie" is sheer perfection. In retrospect, Lucy's answer to Bessie "Dixie Lucy" probably should NOT have been the same song, because it really shows off who is the singer and who is not.

--What a waste of Carole Cook! I only caught a glimpse or two of her and she was way off to the edge of the shot.

--The joke about Arthur doing the sugar cube commercial for his horse is lost on anyone who is not familiar with the nature of his daytime tv and radio shows. That's exactly how he would do the commercials on his show.

--I'm so used to the butchered up CBS/Nick version that I can tell exactly where the cuts were made. Arthur's "Reconstruction" reprise is gone. One scene cuts to commercial after Arthur's line: "Sometimes daddies can be just plain stupid." and they extend the laugh over that extremely fast end-of-scene music CBS edited in with a quick fade to black. They used this same segue many times. It sounds like lucy Show music but I don't know where it came from.

The next scene ends after "Steamboat Bessie" with Lucy saying "fire with fire." After commercial, it opens up right at the beginning of "dixie Lucy".

--It looks like Arthur is actually playing the banjo. Maybe HE should have joined Lucy, Lucie and Wayne Newton for the "Waiting for Robert E Lee" finale!

--Godfrey is perfect as is Max Showalter, but Gale really rises to the occasion having great fun with this style of comedy. Lucy, too is wonderful (except for an occasional clinker)and looks tremendous

--Notice how the audience oo's and ah's the set which they see before we do. (we see the "founding of Danfield" title sign).

--Scriptwriters were Iz Elinson and Fred Fox, the OTHER Bob and Bob who contributed to season 2. I don't know that they wrote Lucy Shows past this season, but theirs were some of the best. I know elinson died in 1967 or so and Fox teamed up with Seamon Jacobs. His scripts with Elinson were so much better. Someone in the know once told me that "'Izzy' carried Fox" which I can believe.

I'm saving "World's Fair" for a special time.

I think "Drop the Hankie" wasn't live because Lucy knew she had to have a higher pitch to her voice. I love this show because it is so funny and musical. Vivian shines here and she shows that she could have been a star but she was happy with doing her thing (Lucy and theatre work).

Archived