THE LUCY SHOW: Season 3 - Coming to DVD on Nov. 30!

Robert13

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post, Neil! "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey" is my favorite third season episode too. Everyone is in top form. At least Carole gets a couple of lines in this episode unlike the previous one, "Lucy and the Countess Lose Weight!" She only has one in "Lucy Goes to Vegas" too. I wonder if she has any in the unedited version of "Lucy and Phil Harris" because otherwise she's just an extra in that one. I don't think they say her character's name in "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey," but she's credited as "Mrs. Baldwin." Why didn't they just have her play her recurring role as Mrs. Valence again? Max Showalter reprises his role as Vinnie Myers, was his character transferred to the Danfield branch from Jamestown permanently?

I didn't realize that the Ellizon/Jacobs writing partnership ended because Iz Ellison died. They wrote at least one season four episode. I believe "Lucy and Joan" was theirs.

Gale does a cartwheel in:

Ethel Merman and the Boy Scout Show

Lucy and Arthur Godfrey

Lucy and Pat Collins

Lucy Gets Mooney Fired

Lucy Sells Craig to Wayne Newton

Lucy and Carol Burnett

Lucy, the Coed

Lucy's Lucky Day

Are there any more?

I agree, although I think Viv and Gale should be made a little bigger, they look like mini mees! LOL!

LOL I was thinking the same thing,but too big and they wouldnt have looked just right,so I decided on this sixe, but I think it came out okay. I love how you can still see the detail in their faces. That was important 2 me

--Lucy is game and tries for those high notes in "Things Will Be Dandy...". She stops trying at some point and just mouths the words when "the entire cast joins in".

I loved this, Cause I thought i was the only one that heard her do this! I think she learned her lesson from the "No business like show business" number from season 2 at the end of the season.

Lucy was soooo OFF "LESS GAAHHOOOEE ON WITH THAAHH SH---quiet---" lolol

Did the same thing here once it went up to high lol she was trying it already with that note "starting with you and with me" but when she climbed up to "Dandandan dandeeee DAA--quiet--" lololol HILARIOUS lol

I want Brock to check his chest to see if my family coat of arms is tatoo'd there, because we have such similar tastes. Maybe he's my son 'stolen away years ago by some Canadian gypsies'.

:marionstrong: !!!

brockfield.jpg

;)

I was eagerly looking for my copy of Season 3 for one reason first and foremost: to see the uncut version of my favorite of the year (and Brock's!) "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey" in pristine color.

And I wasn't disappointed. It's one of the finest, most ambitious, most professionally produced Lucy Shows of the entire run. You certainly get a lot for your money is this jam-packed half hour.

I KNEW there had to be an opening scene, but I figured Lucy would be part of the committee and suggest 'her good friend' Arthur Godfrey for the lead. It's such a short scene I'll bet something was eliminated because it's not explained why Lucy volunteered Godfrey. Once again Lucy's looking very "Mame"-ish in her riding togs. There were at least 3 other times she wore this same outfit spanning 35 years! The "Founding of Danfield" show is a treat, funny, colorful, really well written with immediately catchy songs. A few notes and questions:

--all the songs seemed to have been done live with the exception of Lucy's "Drop the Hankie" and she fumbles her lipping a couple of times. Wonder why that one was pre-recorded.

--Lucy is game and tries for those high notes in "Things Will Be Dandy...". She stops trying at some point and just mouths the words when "the entire cast joins in".

--Gale's summersault. How many times did we see this? Was 1968 Carol Burnett gym musical the LAST time?

--This is Viv's best 3rd season episode. She's great in the horse scene, but "Steamboat Bessie" is sheer perfection. In retrospect, Lucy's answer to Bessie "Dixie Lucy" probably should NOT have been the same song, because it really shows off who is the singer and who is not.

--What a waste of Carole Cook! I only caught a glimpse or two of her and she was way off to the edge of the shot.

--The joke about Arthur doing the sugar cube commercial for his horse is lost on anyone who is not familiar with the nature of his daytime tv and radio shows. That's exactly how he would do the commercials on his show.

--I'm so used to the butchered up CBS/Nick version that I can tell exactly where the cuts were made. Arthur's "Reconstruction" reprise is gone. One scene cuts to commercial after Arthur's line: "Sometimes daddies can be just plain stupid." and they extend the laugh over that extremely fast end-of-scene music CBS edited in with a quick fade to black. They used this same segue many times. It sounds like lucy Show music but I don't know where it came from.

The next scene ends after "Steamboat Bessie" with Lucy saying "fire with fire." After commercial, it opens up right at the beginning of "dixie Lucy".

--It looks like Arthur is actually playing the banjo. Maybe HE should have joined Lucy, Lucie and Wayne Newton for the "Waiting for Robert E Lee" finale!

--Godfrey is perfect as is Max Showalter, but Gale really rises to the occasion having great fun with this style of comedy. Lucy, too is wonderful (except for an occasional clinker)and looks tremendous

--Notice how the audience oo's and ah's the set which they see before we do. (we see the "founding of Danfield" title sign).

--Scriptwriters were Iz Elinson and Fred Fox, the OTHER Bob and Bob who contributed to season 2. I don't know that they wrote Lucy Shows past this season, but theirs were some of the best. I know elinson died in 1967 or so and Fox teamed up with Seamon Jacobs. His scripts with Elinson were so much better. Someone in the know once told me that "'Izzy' carried Fox" which I can believe.

Great observations! I agree with everything you said. There must have been at least one more Gale cartwheel. Maybe I'm just thinking of the somersault in Mountain Climber, but I think we're missing one.

The name sounds familiar, but WHO was Herbert Grimstead??

I forget the situation but remembered the name as it was the IRVING name for that week, LOL! You know, like Sidney Lipshitz, a name that just sounded funny like that Italian guy Lucy Ricardo called, Mr Zabayohnie, HEY PAISAN!

The name sounds familiar, but WHO was Herbert Grimstead??

Hubert Grimset was the name of some anonymous person Ethel came up within The Benefit.

Ethel: This is like expecting Clark Gable and ending up with Hubert Grimset.

Lucy: Hubert Grimset? I've never heard of HIM!

Ethel: Exactly.

Lucy: :angry:

Hubert Grimset was the name of some anonymous person Ethel came up within The Benefit.

Ethel: This is like expecting Clark Gable and ending up with Hubert Grimset.

Lucy: Hubert Grimset? I've never heard of HIM!

Ethel: Exactly.

Lucy: :angry:

OMG, i didn't even get that weird name right? Oh well, old age you know! Listen, while you're supplying information, i wanna play that OTHER Lucy show where Lucy teaches the choir that Christmas song, which season is that on?

That is the fourth season episode "Lucy, the Choirmaster."

Thank you veddy many. Now i suppose i have to start with . . .i hope they sell enough season threes to warrant bringing out season four, what if they dun't bring it out, OMG what if, what if they stop at season three and i never get to see the choir show again, OMG, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :lucydisgust::lucyhorror::lucythrill:

Thank you veddy many. Now i suppose i have to start with . . .i hope they sell enough season threes to warrant bringing out season four, what if they dun't bring it out, OMG what if, what if they stop at season three and i never get to see the choir show again, OMG, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :lucydisgust::lucyhorror::lucythrill:

They're already working on Season 4, so hush! lucydaze.JPG

That episode denotes Jimmy Garrett's last appearance as Jerry, right? Too bad they didn't figure out a way to work him in the Hollywood eps more, he was a great kid actor with timing that was on par with the old pros!

They're already working on Season 4, so hush! lucydaze.JPG

That episode denotes Jimmy Garrett's last appearance as Jerry, right? Too bad they didn't figure out a way to work him in the Hollywood eps more, he was a great kid actor with timing that was on par with the old pros!

I was just being SARCASTIC, you know, the people who constantly fret about WHAT IF THE NEXT SEASONS ARE NOT RELEASED? Will the world go on, will we still be able to live our lives . . . etc.

It IS on Youtube, lolz, but of course it's a horribly butchered syndicated copy. Hey for now at least it's better than nothing!

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

When I went tree shopping yesterday I kept saying "this tree doesn't seem to say 'Merry Christmas.'"

Archived