World's Greatest Grandma

HarryCarter

Yup, that episode doesn't seem as bad a quarter century later. The SET sure looked cheap compared to her warm Here's Lucy one. Her wardrobe was nice though and i agree about the hair, it looked great. It's always nice to insert HEART in a comedy episode but jokes and laughs would have helped too. She was still pretty agile for her age, did you see her climb those stairs?

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, what's that all about? Been here all along you know, reading YOUR posts which i love as well. Just starting to get used to the new digs here on Roxbury but i still miss the little ranchito in the Valley though.

Dunno :) Just thought I'd say how I feel :) xx

• 3 weeks later...

Dunno :) Just thought I'd say how I feel :) xx

I feel that this show has great warmth and has aged well. Life With Lucy is better than a lot of the trash out there today. I feel bad the show didn't have more than a chance. My parents watched it with me in the womb and I have seen Lucy the Guard Goose, One Grandparent Deserves Another, Lucy's Green Thumb (these two now off Youtube) and this one and I like all of them and found them all had their funny moments and charm except for Lucy's Green Thumb. That one was horrible; not funny, unrealistic, and made Lucy look strange. Lucy looked great for her age.

Thanks for posting this! First complete Life With Lucy episode I have seen. It was cute, & she looked wonderful & sounded the same, just a lower pitch to her voice. I loved when she started tap dancing -- the years seemed to melt away & for a moment I thought I saw Lucy Ricardo :) .

Agree with those who believe CBS treated her horribly by canceling the series. In deference to her megastar status, plus all the gazillions of dollars she brought in for the network over several decades, at the very least they should have kept the show on the air for one full season & then just not renewed it. From what I have read she felt so badly about being yanked off the air after only a few episodes. Shame on whoever at CBS made that decision.

Thanks for posting this! First complete Life With Lucy episode I have seen. It was cute, & she looked wonderful & sounded the same, just a lower pitch to her voice. I loved when she started tap dancing -- the years seemed to melt away & for a moment I thought I saw Lucy Ricardo :) .

Agree with those who believe CBS treated her horribly by canceling the series. In deference to her megastar status, plus all the gazillions of dollars she brought in for the network over several decades, at the very least they should have kept the show on the air for one full season & then just not renewed it. From what I have read she felt so badly about being yanked off the air after only a few episodes. Shame on whoever at CBS made that decision.

Yeah, well, except for one thing, the show aired on ABC. Aaron Spelling was affiliated more with them so the show was offered to them, shame on CBS for not attempting to buy it though, and NBC who had signed her away from CBS in 1980 also. ABC had this show which was the costliest for that year, instead of airig it in a protected slot after a big hit until it built an audience, led off the night with it and so the shows that followed it suffered as well. They had no choice when their whole Saturday night was going downhill. They should have insisted on a pilot and then been able to work out the kinks before it aired.

Thanks Miki :)

And thanks Claude, for setting me straight :D . I didn't know that it aired on ABC, or that it was pulling down all the shows that followed it. I guess from a business perspective it had to be done (but how I wish they hadn't hurt her so by doing it).

But that wasn't just THEIR fault, blame her hubby who was more interested in his huge paycheck than her reputation. He assembled a bunch of has beens instead of going with the creme of the crop in Hollywood who would have offered her a better show. Whether the show HIT or not did not matter to him, he got paid the same anyway.

Archived