The New Favourite Lucy Photos Thread! (Vol. 2)

Brock

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

img0010A.jpg

I've always wondered whether the general public was taken aback by the NEW Lucy look, so different from even the last LDCH only two years previous with her up-swept hairdo. And other than those who tuned into "the Good Years' that hadn't seen her since. I like the new look, but IMO her resemblance to the Lucy of 5 year previous, the last time she wore the Ricardo bun, is only passing.

Never did like Danny Kaye - that Lucy Show episode with him would have to be my least favourite episode of the entire season if I had to pick one! Not sure what people liked about him. He got on my nerves terribly!

Really? Odd. Danny Kaye is one of those comedics destined for slapstick. White Christmas made me fall in love with him! But you have to agree that Lucy and him did mesh well together comedicly!

Never did like Danny Kaye - that Lucy Show episode with him would have to be my least favourite episode of the entire season if I had to pick one! Not sure what people liked about him. He got on my nerves terribly!

You have every right not to like someone, but take a look at his many accomplishments and see what the world truly admired him for. He was a very popular performer. If anything, clearly, the redhead loved him.

Danny Kaye was a celebrated American actor, singer, dancer, and comedian. His best known performances featured physical comedy, idiosyncratic pantomimes, and rapid-fire nonsense songs.

Kaye starred in 17 movies, notably The Kid from Brooklyn (1946), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947), The Inspector General (1949), Hans Christian Andersen (1952), and – perhaps his most accomplished performance – The Court Jester (1956). His films were extremely popular, especially his bravura performances of patter songs and children's favorites such as "Inchworm" and "The Ugly Duckling". He was the first ambassador-at-large of UNICEF in 1954 and received the French Legion of Honor in 1986 for his many years of work with the organization.

Kaye was sufficiently popular that he inspired imitations:

The 1946 Warner Bros. cartoon Book Revue had a lengthy sequence with Daffy Duck impersonating Kaye singing "Carolina in the Morning" with the Russian accent that Kaye would affect from time to time.

Satirical songwriter Tom Lehrer's 1953 song "Lobachevsky" was based on a number that Kaye had done, about the Russian director Constantin Stanislavski, again with the affected Russian accent. Lehrer mentioned Kaye in the opening monologue, citing him as an "idol since childbirth".

Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster also fashioned a short-lived superhero title, Funnyman, taking inspiration from Kaye's public persona.

AMONG HIS AWARDS, TRIBUTES AN HONORS:

Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award (1981)

Asteroid 6546 Kaye

Danny Kaye has three stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for his work in music, radio, and films.

Danny Kaye was knighted by Queen Margrethe II of Denmark in 1983 for his 1952 portrayal of Hans Christian Andersen in the film of the same name.

Kennedy Center Honor (1984)

Grand Marshal of the Tournament of Roses Parade (1984)

French Legion of Honor (Chevalier of the Légion d'honneur) on 24 February 1986 for his UNICEF work.

The song "I Wish I Was Danny Kaye" on Miracle Legion's 1996 album Portrait of a Damaged Family

On 23 June 1987, Kaye was posthumously presented with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Ronald Reagan. The award was received by his daughter Dena.

UNICEF's New York Visitor's Centre is named to honor Danny Kaye.

In December 1996, the PBS series, American Masters, aired a special on the life of Danny Kaye.

Really? Odd. Danny Kaye is one of those comedics destined for slapstick. White Christmas made me fall in love with him! But you have to agree that Lucy and him did mesh well together comedicly!

Frankly I found Lucy just as annoying as Danny Kaye during that episode. Nothing against Danny Kaye and I appreciate his accomplishments but he's just not my cup of tea. Sorry :(

Susan Peters was an Oscar nominated (for "Random Harvest") actress who was at MGM the same time as Lucy. She was also married to director Richard Quine. Susan was shot in a hunting accident and paralyzed for the rest of her short life.

Never heard of him either. As soon as i noticed the wheelchair, i thought, hey, she cold have remade The Big Street.

Archived