The Lucille Ball Specials Double Feature

Robert13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS**************************************************

I got my copy yesterday and I watched "Happy Anniversary & Goodbye" last night. The dvd is just wonderful. Don't be swayed by the comment about it not being remastered at all. It definitely had some remastering done. It's definitely a superior improvement to the bootleg copies that were circling, I'm sure. Let's face it. It wasn't filmed in high-def like many programs are today. So if you're used to perfect picture quality, you will notice the age. But you have to remember when it was made. And for that, it looks excellent. It looks to be remastered as much as possible IMO. :maryjane1:

Now for the special itself, I was actually surprised at the sexual references in it. It was all done very tastefully, I'm just not used to hearing Lucy talk about sex. So that was very refreshing and funny. I got the impression that Peter Marshall had difficulty working with Lucy. And I had no idea he was the same actor who played Lucy's brother-in-law in the episode of "The Lucy Show" where she and Viv throw a wedding.

The outtakes were hysterical. I think they should have left the "sh*t" un-beeped though.

Haven't watched "What Now Catherine Curtis?" yet but I will this week.

All-in-all, it is a tremendous dvd and I am happy to own it. Looking forward to "Lucy Moves to NBC" to round out the set of specials put out by MPI. Incidentally, they do show some brief clips of Lucy playing backgammon. I think these are from "Lucy Moves to NBC".

Does anyone know why the clips are in standard picture frame as oppose to widescreen when they are used in the special features? This happens in the other Lucy dvds from MPI. Just curious as to why they can't make them all uniform with the rest of the new interview footage.

My copy arrived a little while ago and I just finished all the special features. MPI did a fantastic job, as usual! I'm so glad they included the Mary Tyler Moore "Let's Talk to Lucy." I really enjoyed Joseph Bologna's interview and thought it was very interested that he blamed Jackie Gleason for the final result of "Three For Two."

My copy arrived a little while ago and I just finished all the special features. MPI did a fantastic job, as usual! I'm so glad they included the Mary Tyler Moore "Let's Talk to Lucy." I really enjoyed Joseph Bologna's interview and thought it was very interested that he blamed Jackie Gleason for the final result of "Three For Two."

"Blamed" in what way? Lack of interest? Not wanting to rehearse? Curious! Thank you!

"Blamed" in what way? Lack of interest? Not wanting to rehearse? Curious! Thank you!

Bologna said Jackie was just phoning it in. He said he thinks Jackie Gleason was going through a rough time because he was no longer a major star at the moment and not yet a legend. Bologna said he thought that "Three for Two" was better than the first two specials that he and Renee wrote (one won an Emmy for them and they were nominated for the second it) and he was hurt that Jackie "ring-a-ding-ding'ed" (his words. lol) it.

Sadly the place I bought mine from off eBay decided to "overlook" my order and totally forgot about it! Now they are waiting for another load of shipments to come in! I don't think positive feedback is going to be given to them!

God knows how long I'll have to wait now! :lucymeh:

p.s - I think 342 was fantastic! Don't know why people make out as though it's really bad! Lucy Gets Lucky was bad, not 342!

Sadly the place I bought mine from off eBay decided to "overlook" my order and totally forgot about it! Now they are waiting for another load of shipments to come in! I don't think positive feedback is going to be given to them!

God knows how long I'll have to wait now! :lucymeh:

p.s - I think 342 was fantastic! Don't know why people make out as though it's really bad! Lucy Gets Lucky was bad, not 342!

Oh you can be so nutty in your reviews, Lucy Gets Lucky was vintage Lucy and VERY VERY GOOD! The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a studio audience.

Oh you can be so nutty in your reviews, Lucy Gets Lucky was vintage Lucy and VERY VERY GOOD! The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a studio audience.

I will have to watch it again, from what I remember it just didn't do anything for me, apart from the car bit, that was VERY funny! I think the fact that Dean Martin sang so much during it was a bit of a turn off LOL!

Archived