Cue cards?

Annaleigh

Sometimes when reading stories of Ms Ball I come across some shocking things. One of the things I've been seeing is that Lucy RELIED on cue cards starting with The Lucy Show, from what I've read. This doesn't seem factual at all. Out of watching all these shows It didn't look like she was staring at cue card once or she really just wasn't looking at the audience, just cards. Or am I mistaken? Doesn't seem like a Lucille thing to do. She was so serious about her work and REHEARSING. Doesn't seem true whatsoever. Understandable to have them there but to say she relied on them and didn't rehearse one line just seems harsh and fiction.

I believe she mainly needed them when the show called for complicated dance and musical numbers. She wanted to make sure she learned those routines and spent most of the time in rehearsal doing that than taking time to memorize all her lines.

[quote name=DroopyDrawers :D' timestamp='1343533558' post='40828]

I understand she did have them. But to have her RELY on them because she didn't rehearse? Does not seem correct.

Here's a little help on this subject. At this time in her life (The Lucy Show) Lucy was running a studio, raising children, being a wife, acting on the show, doing commercials, studying and adding to the scripts, dealing with wardrobe and I'm sure even more on her plate that we even are aware of. She rehearsed every show like mad (it was her nature) when she was available and the cue cards were strictly there as a help, not a crutch. She was older as well and one needs all the help they can get to assure the lines are perfect during the taping of the show. I seriously doubt that she relied on them as a substitute to rehearsing, but she did use them. Yes, one can spot her looking at them during these years and later and that was about her only flaw as she aged.

To get where she got was nothing short of amazing.

Here's a little help on this subject. At this time in her life (The Lucy Show) Lucy was running a studio, raising children, being a wife, acting on the show, doing commercials, studying and adding to the scripts, dealing with wardrobe and I'm sure even more on her plate that we even are aware of. She rehearsed every show like mad (it was her nature) when she was available and the cue cards were strictly there as a help, not a crutch. She was older as well and one needs all the help they can get to assure the lines are perfect during the taping of the show. I seriously doubt that she relied on them as a substitute to rehearsing, but she did use them. Yes, one can spot her looking at them during these years and later and that was about her only flaw as she aged.

I read somewhere that she said one of the hardest things to do was to erase the previous week's script from her memory bank to make way for a new one. She was walking around the same set every week, having dialog with the same people. This must have been particularly hard in HL because many of the scripts had very similar dialog between her and Gale Gordon week to week. ("Harry, you're so cheap that....") I don't think the cue card reading was noticeable until the later Here's Lucy years. Sometimes she kept her face in the direction of the person she was talking to, but her eyes darted to the side. This hurt her performance. I don't know how she could be saying her line and reading her next line at the same time. If you look at the Here's Lucy rehearsal footage, particularly the Burton show, she seems to have her lines down perfectly, also Burton's (much to his chagrin).

The only early Lucy show that the cue card reading is obvious (to me) is when she's giving her testimony is "L is her Own Lawyer". She lays out the narrative of Mooney's dog barking. It's not TOO obvious though because shes' not actually having a conversation with someone (since as the title suggests, she is her own lawyer). I didn't notice this until someone pointed out that she used them during the 2nd season.

I never saw Gale Gordon glance at cue cards, even during "Life With.." when he was 80, so I don't know if the cards were just for Lucy and whatever memory-challenged guest star of the week. Two of the worst that come to mind were Sid Caesar and Van Johnson. Caesar wrote in his autobiography that he was pretty strung out during the late 60s, so that may account for his reliance, but Johnson had no excuse. Unless of course he had spent too much time in make up.

I never saw Gale Gordon glance at cue cards, even during "Life With.." when he was 80, so I don't know if the cards were just for Lucy and whatever memory-challenged guest star of the week. Two of the worst that come to mind were Sid Caesar and Van Johnson. Caesar wrote in his autobiography that he was pretty strung out during the late 60s, so that may account for his reliance, but Johnson had no excuse. Unless of course he had spent too much time in make up.

:marionstrong: Adrienne Barbeau wrote in her autobiography that when Van Johnson he guest starred on Maude depended on cue cards and lost his concentration whenever someone walked behind them. I think he only has one scene in that episode too!

See the way this is worded is true, like I knew she used them. But the whole reliance on them just shocked me that someone would say that, like she didn't look at that script once. Now watching HL I see it. Only flaw I see is that honestly. She still does a great job.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes when reading stories of Ms Ball I come across some shocking things. One of the things I've been seeing is that Lucy RELIED on cue cards starting with The Lucy Show, from what I've read. This doesn't seem factual at all. Out of watching all these shows It didn't look like she was staring at cue card once or she really just wasn't looking at the audience, just cards. Or am I mistaken? Doesn't seem like a Lucille thing to do. She was so serious about her work and REHEARSING. Doesn't seem true whatsoever. Understandable to have them there but to say she relied on them and didn't rehearse one line just seems harsh and fiction.

When you're a pro like Lucy, the audience will never be able to tell that she's using cue cards. But she did. Pop in Season 2 of The Lucy Show and watch "Lucy Decides to Redecorate"...it's very apparent in nearly every scene. At one point, in the beginning while talking to Mr. Mooney in the living room before the scene is over, you can see she's practically reading straight off the cue card...not making eye contact with anyone in the scene for several seconds. This particular episode is pretty bad, she tries her best to not use them but it happens throughout the show. It's like watching an episode of SNL! Study her eyes. Every time she doesn't look at another actor...look at where she's looking. If it's off to the side then you know it's cue cards. She knows the basic idea of the scene but simply needs the exact wording--so she takes a guick glance. It's impressive how seamless she does it.

In a way, it sort of shows how much Lucy thought of the writing on TLS that she didn't memorize every line and that she needed cue cards to assist her. The writing on ILL sparkled in every scene: it was fresh and vibrant, with four wonderful actors bouncing off each other...Lucy had to learn those lines because the quality of the writing and performances simply required it. Her taking a more relaxed approach on TLS and HL, I personally believe, says a lot about what she thought about the writing. TLS was more physical than ILL since nearly every episode of TLS contained one major physical scene that had to have been choreographed and rehearsed to the tee. It looks as though Lucy's priority was getting down the physical aspects over the dialogue. Plus, I'd imagine with Lucy now being the boss and no Desi or anyone else around, she felt it was okay to cheat a little and have the cue cards on hand. You also factor in how much busier she was during these days (as others have mentioned above) it's no surprise why she had cue cards available.

When you're a pro like Lucy, the audience will never be able to tell that she's using cue cards. But she did. Pop in Season 2 of The Lucy Show and watch "Lucy Decides to Redecorate"...it's very apparent in nearly every scene. At one point, in the beginning while talking to Mr. Mooney in the living room before the scene is over, you can see she's practically reading straight off the cue card...not making eye contact with anyone in the scene for several seconds. This particular episode is pretty bad, she tries her best to not use them but it happens throughout the show. It's like watching an episode of SNL! Study her eyes. Every time she doesn't look at another actor...look at where she's looking. If it's off to the side then you know it's cue cards. She knows the basic idea of the scene but simply needs the exact wording--so she takes a guick glance. It's impressive how seamless she does it.

In a way, it sort of shows how much Lucy thought of the writing on TLS that she didn't memorize every line and that she needed cue cards to assist her. The writing on ILL sparkled in every scene: it was fresh and vibrant, with four wonderful actors bouncing off each other...Lucy had to learn those lines because the quality of the writing and performances simply required it. Her taking a more relaxed approach on TLS and HL, I personally believe, says a lot about what she thought about the writing. TLS was more physical than ILL since nearly every episode of TLS contained one major physical scene that had to have been choreographed and rehearsed to the tee. It looks as though Lucy's priority was getting down the physical aspects over the dialogue. Plus, I'd imagine with Lucy now being the boss and no Desi or anyone else around, she felt it was okay to cheat a little and have the cue cards on hand. You also factor in how much busier she was during these days (as others have mentioned above) it's no surprise why she had cue cards available.

I understand her having cue cards completely. She was busy, but the whole saying that she 'relied' just isn't right. But I will watch it as soon possible, to see it more.

I suppose it's up to you how you want to interpret the word "relied." In the scenes I've seen her using them, it looks to me that she really needed them otherwise she wouldn't look over at them as much as she does. They were there for her and she used them often...that to me would fit under the definition of "rely"...if she didn't really need them--she wouldn't have had them there and she would have been able to do the scenes all by herself without any assistance.

I don't respect Lucy any less just because she used them or if she in fact, "relied" on them. Even the perfectionist that she was needed some help here and there.

Exactly what i was going to say, thank you!

I suppose it's up to you how you want to interpret the word "relied." In the scenes I've seen her using them, it looks to me that she really needed them otherwise she wouldn't look over at them as much as she does. They were there for her and she used them often...that to me would fit under the definition of "rely"...if she didn't really need them--she wouldn't have had them there and she would have been able to do the scenes all by herself without any assistance.

I don't respect Lucy any less just because she used them or if she in fact, "relied" on them. Even the perfectionist that she was needed some help here and there.

The way I usually read things bout this subject on the internet is rude. Not on here though! Like saying her talent went down, didn't look over scripts any longer, didn't rehearse or think the script over, just read it that filming on a cue card. So people saying she didn't know anything about the episode until she started reading cue cards that day. That's why it baffled me, everything said on here makes sense and is logical of what Lucy did do. People are just jerks to Miss Ball sometimes.

The way I usually read things bout this subject on the internet is rude. Not on here though! Like saying her talent went down, didn't look over scripts any longer, didn't rehearse or think the script over, just read it that filming on a cue card. So people saying she didn't know anything about the episode until she started reading cue cards that day. That's why it baffled me, everything said on here makes sense and is logical of what Lucy did do. People are just jerks to Miss Ball sometimes.

Balderdash, she studied the script for 4 days, Monday thru shooting on Thursday, constantly repeating every line, of course SHE was the one with the most dialogue to learn, everybody else had small parts, imagine if she forgot lines while filming in front of a live studio audience.

I'm not sure where exactly you read such comments from people (the comment section on YouTube???) but I would really like to know. I'm sure Lucy would be proud to know that she's got a fan who's willing to stick up for her even on the topic of cue cards.

I'm not sure where exactly you read such comments from people (the comment section on YouTube???) but I would really like to know. I'm sure Lucy would be proud to know that she's got a fan who's willing to stick up for her even on the topic of cue cards.

I forgot exactly where, it wasn't in comments. It was a site about her with quotes from people that were at only filmings. It was bull crap the way they said everything. Whoever said it or made it up is a dbag. :)

I forgot exactly where, it wasn't in comments. It was a site about her with quotes from people that were at only filmings. It was bull crap the way they said everything. Whoever said it or made it up is a dbag. :)

It was probably mostly those a-hole sexist men who had to work for her that said those things, right? Sounds like something they'd say.

It was probably mostly those a-hole sexist men who had to work for her that said those things, right? Sounds like something they'd say.

That would make sense. People are just rude. They always make Lucy sound like a overpowering, rude, selfish, conceited beotch.

I honestly didn't notice any cue card reading in the early Lucy Show years until someone pointed it out. I don't think it really interferes with her performance until the latter HL years and then just occasionally. I don't know if it's the cue card reading but her style did become broader, doing takes to the audience that you never see in ILL.

And while the 2nd season "Redecorate" is not one of my favorites, I would not call it bad. In fact for episode enjoyment consistently, I think season 2 is the best. I can't think of a real duffer in the bunch---and I mean along the lines of "Superwoman", "Mooney/Monkey" or season 1's "Runaway Butterfly".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived