LucyFest 2012

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Yes, we love Lucie too. :lucie: It's just that the fact of the aggravation Taylor and I are stating is not that she HASN'T done anything..it's that the FESTIVAL is going downhill..Well..to some of us. :lucysmirk:

It's called the LucyFest..right? :peachonthebeach:

So..it should be about LUCY if it's in HER home town and has HER name..just sounds right to most people. :lucythrill: and you're right Annaleigh..it is just sad and disappointing. :lucyeww:

But I guess some people think that because Lucie is still participating it is fulfilling her mom's legacy Yeah I know..I can just hear ya "But her mom TOLD HER she wanted a comedic center built there!!" I can't see it being done that way but it's just my opinion. :lucyblah:

Have a good night and don't fight too much! (I know I know I know..we're not fighting..just voicing opinions!)

Gypsy Rose :lucy2:

If the Comedy Hall of Fame comes to Jamestown, It wouldn't be run by the same administration as the Lucy-Desi Museum, Playhouse, et al, correct? Just playing devil's advocate for a moment... Could it be that Journey and the board want to get the CHOF (weird initials) into Jamestown to draw more business, donations, etc in for the Lucy stuff? Certainly another attraction, one of that size, could only help the Lucy-Desi Center, right? Perhaps the ultimate goal is for the CHOF to host a festival Memorial Day Weekend (with some Lucy-related fun) while Lucy Birthday weekends are Lucy-centered with some CHOF fun? As many/most of you know, I don't like/agree with the way things are being handled, but these are some things I've wondered lately.

Strange article in today's Post-Journal, "Comedic Timing - Hall of Fame Talk Deemed Premature, by Liz Skoczylas - Lucie Arnaz may have been premature in announcing plans for a comedy hall of fame and museum during a Friday night Lucy Fest show. She said she would like to see the hall of fame and museum in the renovated Erie-Lackawanna Railroad Station..." (ed a station used MUCH by Lucille Ball in the early years, when she revisited Jametown several times over the years, and when rail travel was THE preferred mode of transportation). Comments follow by present Ex. Dir., Gunderson: Lucie apparently loves the idea of that space being used to carry this through; making it part of the four-pillar vision of the Center. The Center, (ed. apparently), intends to submit a proposal to explore using the renovated train station as a potential location for that.... (ed. There are, of course, MANY other ideas for the use of the Station.....)

Just a portion of article I've used for your information; more to follow, if more is published....JK

What are some of the other proposed uses for the train station?

I haven't been cutting those articles out; and memory is fuzzy; but, I believe it was more of a Welcome Center for Jamestown, with businesses who wanted to 'reside' there, doing so.

First I'd heard of a Museum atmosphere; but, it's a good one.....

We've had so many locations with the Lucille/Desi connection, trying to get situated; why not?

I remember when the first Executive Director had all kinds of architectural drawings of the old Grants' Building, too.

Your thoughts???? JK

I went to the Burbank festival every year except one. From an outsider's viewpoint, it seemed to be more successful every year. This was a labor of love (or labour of louve, for you Canadians) and not money-motivated as I heard their goal was to at least break even, so they may have been losing money. These had a huge advantage over the current Jamestown festival of having all those people involved still around and living right in the same town. 1996-2001: so many of those are now sadly gone. The producers put a LOT into these conventions. Tom Watson did a tremendous job. We all have so much to thank Watson for. Everything was done top-notch with class. (except perhaps the food, but like Harry-or Brock--said about jamestown: I don't care about the food). They put on an original stage show with Lucy impersonator Suzanne Larush and some surprising guest stars (Tab Hunter!) recreating original sets. And they were always trying to dig up something rare to show than had not been seen before. For instance, they got a 35mm print of "Facts of Life" before it was released on DVD. (It had not been seen on TV since 1965. I had never seen it.) One of the reasons for disbanding it was because they had done everything and run out of rare things to show.

My suggestion to them and one I would make to the Jamestown folk. Why not just show some classic episodes? Maybe have a theme night. Yes, we've seen them all before but I always thought it would be great fun to watch something we all love as a group. Afterwards they could have someone knowledgeable (Tom Gilbert, Tom Watson, or our own Siskel and Ebert: Harry and Brock! :D ) comment on the making of the episode.

Though impractical, I would suggest they do this in TWO separate venues: one for folks who want to recite the dialogue along with the actors; and another for those of us who just want to watch and enjoy.

OR if they need something that is more of draw than that for the people who are more casual fans, bring in the LA troupe that re-enacts episodes. I haven't seen this but hear it's great.

I am in the camp of those who think the Jamestown festivals have gone too far afield of Lucy. Stand up comedy was not her thing.

My suggestion to them and one I would make to the Jamestown folk. Why not just show some classic episodes? Maybe have a theme night. Yes, we've seen them all before but I always thought it would be great fun to watch something we all love as a group. Afterwards they could have someone knowledgeable (Tom Gilbert, Tom Watson, or our own Siskel and Ebert: Harry and Brock! :D ) comment on the making of the episode.

They do have screenings of classic episodes. They don't have an expert comment on the episodes, though,

• 2 weeks later...

Wellllllll... not everyone is gone. There are still a couple of people who worked with Lucy every week for years... and years... with amazing memories and still very much able (and with a little nudging, perhaps willing) to bring some amazing Lucy memories to the forefront of Jamestown.

Jamestown just may need a little nudging to bare this in mind.

After all, the 50th anniversary of The Lucy Show is passing us all by.

For shame.

And woe. :-(

I agree with Artie and Jessica. The archives are a mess, the whole damn town is talking about comedy and it's the wrong kind of comedy. I would have loved to see re-enactments of episodes done by comedians. Stand up is not the answer and neither is Cooperstown. The board is a bunch of buddies that think they can make Jamestown the place to spend your hard earned money. The employees know nothing about Lucy and they are not fans. Get a grip here! I would love to take everything I ever donated there back. IT was the biggest mistake of my life to donate so much to one place! Very, very sad!

I'm sure you know, you're not alone!

And in regards to the terrible state of the artifacts... yes, lots of people are astonished at their precious artifacts not being given the care they assumed they would deservedly receive. Maybe it's time the North spilt from the South.

Wellllllll... not everyone is gone. There are still a couple of people who worked with Lucy every week for years... and years... with amazing memories and still very much able (and with a little nudging, perhaps willing) to bring some amazing Lucy memories to the forefront of Jamestown.

Jamestown just may need a little nudging to bare this in mind.

After all, the 50th anniversary of The Lucy Show is passing us all by.

For shame.

And woe. :-(

Would be a wonderful 'coup' if we could AT LEAST get them to drop by here with their GREAT KNOWLEDGE of our girl.... we're VERY HUNGRY for that knowledge and those memories; much of it needs to be preserved....I'm one trying to do that, as all our Lucy authors are.... If you know one or some of them, urge them to join us; we are a loyal bunch....Loving submitted, JK

I'm sure you know, you're not alone!

And in regards to the terrible state of the artifacts... yes, lots of people are astonished at their precious artifacts not being given the care they assumed they would deservedly receive. Maybe it's time the North spilt from the South.

The 'folks' you mention, THOSE GIVING ARTIFACTS TO BE UP FRONT IN THE MUSEUM et al should, EVERY ONE OF THEM, send letters to Journey Gunderson and demand she either prove their existence, or non-existence, and correspond what is planned for those items....

I've heard, FOR YEARS NOW, that there are valuables having been donated that have never seen the light of day - you protect the guilty parties by NOT DEMANDING ANSWERS....

To me, that is insulting to the memory of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, their heirs, the Museum itself, and yourselves for allowing so much time to have gone by with no response about your donation(s)...

Respectfully submitted, Joyce Kellogg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a great video recap of the festival:

http://vimeo.com/48889524

Bonus points for those who can spot Maggie in the video. LOL

WOW...Thanks for sharing...

I spied the McCulloughs, a 'fixture' in this town at all things Lucy! Great folks, from Shrewsbury PA; come in here four times a year; stay at Best Western; buy MUCHO !!!! JK

Ok, this has nothing to do with this year's festival, but I've checked and the Best Western is already all booked up for next August's festival. What are some of the other hotels close to all the activities and do they have shuttles from the airport and all that? Thanks to all the J-towners who would know. :lucythrill:

Ok, this has nothing to do with this year's festival, but I've checked and the Best Western is already all booked up for next August's festival. What are some of the other hotels close to all the activities and do they have shuttles from the airport and all that? Thanks to all the J-towners who would know. :lucythrill:

That can't be right...they haven't even announced the dates yet. Did you call the Best Western in Historic Jamestown, Virginia? LOL

Archived