LucyFest 2012

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there were many newbies at the festival and I doubt many will be back. They were not impressed with what the got for the money they paid. Just because the food has always been bad does not mean they should not try to improve it. In fact it gets worse. People pay $45 and cannot even eat the dinner served...that just doesn't seem right. If they

cannot provide decent food then why not modify the events to just eliminate the food altogether.

I get the impression the center will continue to expand the comedy events and offer the same old events for the Lucy fans every year so they can say they still honor her legacy. If they get the comedy hall of fame in Jamestown you can expect the condition of the Archives to get worse and maybe eventually the museum will even be closed and they will just put some Lucy items it the hall of fame. That is the direction this is heading.

yes the Lucie event was as advertised. It was very clear she was brought to Jamestown to attract the Lucy fans and to deliver the message that new comedy is the direction and future of the Center.

Well there were many newbies at the festival and I doubt many will be back. They were not impressed with what the got for the money they paid. Just because the food has always been bad does not mean they should not try to improve it. In fact it gets worse. People pay $45 and cannot even eat the dinner served...that just doesn't seem right. If they

cannot provide decent food then why not modify the events to just eliminate the food altogether.

I get the impression the center will continue to expand the comedy events and offer the same old events for the Lucy fans every year so they can say they still honor her legacy. If they get the comedy hall of fame in Jamestown you can expect the condition of the Archives to get worse and maybe eventually the museum will even be closed and they will just put some Lucy items it the hall of fame. That is the direction this is heading.

yes the Lucie event was as advertised. It was very clear she was brought to Jamestown to attract the Lucy fans and to deliver the message that new comedy is the direction and future of the Center.

Disappointing indeed!

Well, she hasn't been to Jamestown in years, right? What's wrong with doing it again? A lot of newbies might be coming to the festival (like me) and haven't heard these stories before. I'm glad you all had a good time and enjoyed the comedy shows, but I have to say I would've been a bit miffed if that's basically all she did was introduce the comedians.

Good for Gregg and his Q&A sessions. At least someone remembered who/what the festival is really about instead of these new up-and-coming comics.

Well.. Sorry I've been absent..but Holy #&@# What the double hockey sticks happened to celebrating Lucy at LUCY fest. "Gregg did some Q&A about her" I guess now it's all about comedy! WOW I suppose it will be called the "COMEDY fest" next year..Sorry..I had to rant a bit because this is just rubbing me the wrong way. Wouldn't Lucy want LUCIE to do the Q&A and memories part of it about her? smh What a disappointment indeed! :lucyhorror:

My first time in the Jamestown area this past weekend for a wedding that happened to coincide with a "Lucy" weekend! Being from southern CA, I was very curious to see how her hometown would pull of such a feat from a life time fan's point of view. I actually heard about this blog from talking to a couple people this weekend, not sure if they were locals or just fans, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Jamestown, so much to be proud of! A beautiful city with so much to offer! As for the Lucy related activities, not so impressive I am sorry to say. Although the local paper would have you believe otherwise, (does the Executive Director of the Lucy Museum actually submit the articles?), I found it disheartening that so much focus was placed on everything BUT the legacy of Lucy herself. Jamestown should be proud of and focus on THAT! There is only one place in the world that can say it is the birthplace of Lucille Ball! Jamestown should be proud of THAT honor just as Graceland is a tribute to Elvis! I would have liked to have seen a vintage collector's swap meet somewhere or a theater showing non-stop Lucille Ball movies throughout the weekend. I can go to any number of comedy clubs in LA and see up and coming stand-ups, why travel all the way back to western New York for something you can find in not only LA, but Chicago, NYC and every big city in between? The people of Jamestown are missing something so unique and I yet from what I read, unfortunately, decisions seem to be made based on monetary reasoning rather than believing in what is a true gem of a travel destination for true fans of the art and legacy of Lucille Ball. THAT is what needs to be promoted. Lucille Ball was NOT a stand up comedian. It is the craft and art of comedy that needs to be promoted, not the Paula Poundstone's of the world who, by the way, was once charged with multiple counts of lewd conduct upon a child and child endangerment in California, a felon to be exact. This is not hearsay, Goggle her name for the facts. It is beyond belief that a Board of Directors of a Center promoting Lucille Ball's name would want to even be associated with such an individual, not for one year, but two years in a row? By the way, what happened to Whoopi this year? My friends said that she was supposed to be this year's comedic guest. Just curious if anyone has the true answer? As for Joan Rivers last year, I am a die hard fan and have seen her several times, but again she is not the face that should be promoting a center for comedy. Where are Carol Burnett and Betty White? (Actually, both out here in LA!) They are both true physical comedians that don't have to rely on foul mouths and derogatory comments to be funny, natural talents, just like Lucille Ball.

If Jamestown is so set upon making itself the "comedy capital of the world", I think I can speak for most of my west coast friends by saying, that without the focus on the legacy of Lucille Ball's life, a trip back east is not worth the time. From an outsider looking in, it seems that the current direction is the wrong direction. If the current executive director is so set on continuing on that path, than why not turn the current museum and memorabilia over to someone who cares about the artifacts and archives for what they are and will promote them for just that? I would think that there has to be someone in that area who cares more about the value of the Lucy legacy than a money making gift shop with a wall of past and present comedian plaques? Isn't there anyone who would be more than willing to share just that with all of us who will forever love Lucy? Anyone? Why aren't the people back in Jamestown seeing the treasure they already have without trying to latch on to something else?? BE CONTENT AND FOCUS ON WHAT YOU HAVE!

You know what they say..."the grass is always greener..."

no according to Lucie these festivals have turned into something like a star trek convention and her mother would not want a festival about her she would want a festival honoring young comedians...this is why Jamestown should become the copperstown of comedy hmmmmmm

Hi Artie! Welcome to the Lounge. Glad you found us. :)

It is the craft and art of comedy that needs to be promoted, not the Paula Poundstone's of the world who, by the way, was once charged with multiple counts of lewd conduct upon a child and child endangerment in California, a felon to be exact. This is not hearsay, Goggle her name for the facts. It is beyond belief that a Board of Directors of a Center promoting Lucille Ball's name would want to even be associated with such an individual, not for one year, but two years in a row?

There were events which focused on the craft of comedy -- including stand-up, improv, writing, and creating characters this year. And, to be fair to Paula, the charges of "lewd conduct" were dropped.

As for Joan Rivers last year, I am a die hard fan and have seen her several times, but again she is not the face that should be promoting a center for comedy. Where are Carol Burnett and Betty White? (Actually, both out here in LA!) They are both true physical comedians that don't have to rely on foul mouths and derogatory comments to be funny, natural talents, just like Lucille Ball.

I don't get why Joan Rivers wasn't a natural choice. Not only is she a comedy legend, but she actually worked on Here's Lucy. To be honest, I was never a fan of Joan but was very impressed by her appearance in Jamestown. She put in a phenominal amount of effort into meeting everyone who wanted to meet her afterwards.

If Jamestown is so set upon making itself the "comedy capital of the world", I think I can speak for most of my west coast friends by saying, that without the focus on the legacy of Lucille Ball's life, a trip back east is not worth the time. From an outsider looking in, it seems that the current direction is the wrong direction. If the current executive director is so set on continuing on that path, than why not turn the current museum and memorabilia over to someone who cares about the artifacts and archives for what they are and will promote them for just that? I would think that there has to be someone in that area who cares more about the value of the Lucy legacy than a money making gift shop with a wall of past and present comedian plaques? Isn't there anyone who would be more than willing to share just that with all of us who will forever love Lucy? Anyone? Why aren't the people back in Jamestown seeing the treasure they already have without trying to latch on to something else?? BE CONTENT AND FOCUS ON WHAT YOU HAVE!

You know what they say..."the grass is always greener..."

I hope if and when the Comedy Hall of Fame comes to fruition they will have some great programming like induction ceremonies or something. Say in their first year they inducted Carol or Betty as one of the first inductees (I presume Lucy and Desi will get the first honours), how cool would it be to have a whole weekend built around them, culminating in some sort of Gala or lecture?

no according to Lucie these festivals have turned into something like a star trek convention and her mother would not want a festival about her she would want a festival honoring young comedians...this is why Jamestown should become the copperstown of comedy hmmmmmm

All the more reason to turn the archives and artifacts over to someone who cares for only that and give the gift shops, carnival attractions and hall of fame over to those who envision a new direction. Maybe it's time for everyone to see that the two could benefit each other and still be true to what they are or hope to be.

All the more reason to turn the archives and artifacts over to someone who cares for only that and give the gift shops, carnival attractions and hall of fame over to those who envision a new direction. Maybe it's time for everyone to see that the two could benefit each other and still be true to what they are or hope to be.

Hi Artie! Welcome to the Lounge. Glad you found us. :)

There were events which focused on the craft of comedy -- including stand-up, improv, writing, and creating characters this year. And, to be fair to Paula, the charges of "lewd conduct" were dropped.

I don't get why Joan Rivers wasn't a natural choice. Not only is she a comedy legend, but she actually worked on Here's Lucy. To be honest, I was never a fan of Joan but was very impressed by her appearance in Jamestown. She put in a phenominal amount of effort into meeting everyone who wanted to meet her afterwards.

I hope if and when the Comedy Hall of Fame comes to fruition they will have some great programming like induction ceremonies or something. Say in their first year they inducted Carol or Betty as one of the first inductees (I presume Lucy and Desi will get the first honours), how cool would it be to have a whole weekend built around them, culminating in some sort of Gala or lecture?

Well.. Sorry I've been absent..but Holy #&@# What the double hockey sticks happened to celebrating Lucy at LUCY fest. "Gregg did some Q&A about her" I guess now it's all about comedy! WOW I suppose it will be called the "COMEDY fest" next year..Sorry..I had to rant a bit because this is just rubbing me the wrong way. Wouldn't Lucy want LUCIE to do the Q&A and memories part of it about her? smh What a disappointment indeed! :lucyhorror:

Sorry about the minus, I was going for the plus and my cursor hit the damn minus instead. Massive FAIL. :lucydisgust:

Thank you, Artie. I loved your first post and I agree 100%. Sounds very disappointing what is becoming of Jamestown. :lucyshock: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad I ran into the right people to point me in this direction and I will be interested to follow how this whole comedy thing unfolds in the future.

Again, these are just my impressions and observations. I am just saying that I would hate to see the archives and Lucy memorabilia take a back seat or get totally lost in a grander vision. After talking to several people around town and seeing things with my own eyes, there seemed to be many glitches and not so positive things being said this weekend although one wouldn't know it by the overly positive press releases. Just wondering how they could ever handle something even larger, that's all.

As for Paula, yes charges were dropped, but with the right attorney as we all know, almost anything can be dropped and be made to go away. Still doesn't mean it didn't happen! It is LA after all!

Joan - still a fan and always will be a fan, but when people in the audience actually get up to walk out mid-show that says something. Just not the time nor place for that sort of comedy, comedy legend or not. There is no way one can or should compare her stand up routine to the "Lucy and Joan Rivers Do Jury Duty" episode on "Here's Lucy".

Let's just hope Jamestown can get this whole thing figured out in a timely matter before too many other truly deserving comedy legends are no longer with us.

The director of the center knew little to nothing about Lucille Ball when she started the job so it is not surprising that her vision is to move towards the comedy hall of fame direction. I think she and the Board believe that young people are not interested in Lucy and that attendance at the festival will begin to dwindle in future. What they don't realize is they drive away people with the disorganized events that they put on. Even fans get sick of paying high ticket prices and getting very little in return!

The director of the center knew little to nothing about Lucille Ball when she started the job so it is not surprising that her vision is to move towards the comedy hall of fame direction. I think she and the Board believe that young people are not interested in Lucy and that attendance at the festival will begin to dwindle in future. What they don't realize is they drive away people with the disorganized events that they put on. Even fans get sick of paying high ticket prices and getting very little in return!

I agree with Artie and Jessica. The archives are a mess, the whole damn town is talking about comedy and it's the wrong kind of comedy. I would have loved to see re-enactments of episodes done by comedians. Stand up is not the answer and neither is Cooperstown. The board is a bunch of buddies that think they can make Jamestown the place to spend your hard earned money. The employees know nothing about Lucy and they are not fans. Get a grip here! I would love to take everything I ever donated there back. IT was the biggest mistake of my life to donate so much to one place! Very, very sad!

I agree with Artie and Jessica. The archives are a mess, the whole damn town is talking about comedy and it's the wrong kind of comedy. I would have loved to see re-enactments of episodes done by comedians. Stand up is not the answer and neither is Cooperstown. The board is a bunch of buddies that think they can make Jamestown the place to spend your hard earned money. The employees know nothing about Lucy and they are not fans. Get a grip here! I would love to take everything I ever donated there back. IT was the biggest mistake of my life to donate so much to one place! Very, very sad!

wish you were able to get it back! You do have the most important Lucy related item in the Jamestown area though and the center will never get that :rolleyes:

Plus its the best place to be during the festival!

Another thing...

Journey said they got a grant for 50,000.00 and did a study on the impact of comedy in Jamestown. Why the hell didn't they preserve Lucy's legacy instead. Archives need help. Instead they are worried about the money in Jamestown. Many fans donated to the Archives fund. There is a plaque in the Playhouse for this. Nothing is being done with the archives.

I agree that the News is exaggerating everything Lucy related. Tom Benson begged locals to show up to every event so they looked full and Jamestown could brag. Whatever!

Another thing...

Journey said they got a grant for 50,000.00 and did a study on the impact of comedy in Jamestown. Why the hell didn't they preserve Lucy's legacy instead. Archives need help. Instead they are worried about the money in Jamestown. Many fans donated to the Archives fund. There is a plaque in the Playhouse for this. Nothing is being done with the archives.

I agree that the News is exaggerating everything Lucy related. Tom Benson begged locals to show up to every event so they looked full and Jamestown could brag. Whatever!

PS-Hear me now-believe me later!

wish you were able to get it back! You do have the most important Lucy related item in the Jamestown area though and the center will never get that :rolleyes:

Plus its the best place to be during the festival!

Thank you Jessica. It was great to see you and it was a hoot. I love Lucy Lane. It is the best place to be:)

I am just wondering if you are by any chance related to the couple who were pictured in one of the Jamestown gift shops? I know it didn't say Rappy but seems that it was something similar and I see you have mentioned donations and Lucy Lane. Is there a connection? I never made it to her house but I heard Lucie Arnaz was there this weekend too. Is that true? How lucky for you!

Archived