Does anyone here not like "The Lucy Show" or "Here's Lucy"?

LOTUS BUD: I find Lucy Carter to be much more authoritarian than Carmichael or Ricardo - she's more motherly

ANNALEIGH: I always found she looked great when it was fuller on top or longer at the back. I didn't like her first wig in LDCH - I loved her hair in The Lucy Show (especially in Season 5 and 6). I didn't like her hair in the first couple of seasons of Here's Lucy but liked it again towards the end.

Can we assume you also like it the way she has it while older in your avatar?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOTUS BUD: I find Lucy Carter to be much more authoritarian than Carmichael or Ricardo - she's more motherly

ANNALEIGH: I always found she looked great when it was fuller on top or longer at the back. I didn't like her first wig in LDCH - I loved her hair in The Lucy Show (especially in Season 5 and 6). I didn't like her hair in the first couple of seasons of Here's Lucy but liked it again towards the end.

Yes! She looked great with VOLUME! Haha. I don't like one of the wigs she used in the first season of TLS, I know she wears it in Lucy Waits Up For Chris, Tycoons, I know the wig is in a few more. But the problem I have is that the bottom layer looks a little too long and she wears the side hairs behind the ears. Reminds me of a mullet a little. Haha.

Yes! She looked great with VOLUME! Haha. I don't like one of the wigs she used in the first season of TLS, I know she wears it in Lucy Waits Up For Chris, Tycoons, I know the wig is in a few more. But the problem I have is that the bottom layer looks a little too long and she wears the side hairs behind the ears. Reminds me of a mullet a little. Haha.

Speaking of her hair and wigs, look at the one she wore at The Oscars, a month before she passed on, in exterior shots the wig looks sensational but inside, on the show itself, not so much, never knew LIGHTING could affect the LOOK of the hair that much.

Speaking of her hair and wigs, look at the one she wore at The Oscars, a month before she passed on, in exterior shots the wig looks sensational but inside, on the show itself, not so much, never knew LIGHTING could affect the LOOK of the hair that much.

That is SO true Claude! Her hair looked great on the red carpet but looked flat as a pancake on stage!

That is actually her real hair in those episodes.

Really? I thought the length was around the head but not the top? So unlike Lucy in the 60s! Haha.

In the early seasons of TLS, if Lucy had a big physical stunt to do (like the shower scene in "Lucy and Viv Put in a Shower") or if something had to fit on or around her head as part of a costume, she wore her real hair. Lucy's real hair was also slightly longer than the length of her wig hair, which is probably part of the difference you noticed. :)

In the early seasons of TLS, if Lucy had a big physical stunt to do (like the shower scene in "Lucy and Viv Put in a Shower") or if something had to fit on or around her head as part of a costume, she wore her real hair. Lucy's real hair was also slightly longer than the length of her wig hair, which is probably part of the difference you noticed. :)

I thought of that after I saw the other post. She does have that style in Shower episode. Makes sense!

I completely agree with you. I was going to reply the same thing to the post above saying that only the die-hards would notice the shift. Mega-fans such as ourselves are sometimes unable to see the material with a neutral, unbiased eye which is why the casual fan would be more able to call out the differences in all the shows post ILL.

I am a huge Lucy fan (I don't need to 'splain how much of a fan I am considering I'm here on a Lucy board!) but I admit that I have trouble with both TLS and HL. I'm at the moment trying to revisit TLS--I don't even have all the seasons on DVD and I'm trying to really embrace this series. I can't go into details here why I haven't been able dig this series since I think it would probably offend most peeps on the board--but I'm trying my best to give it a fair shot.

Ah yes. I know what you mean. I think the writing began to suffer. The early years of the Lucy show had some of the I Love Lucy magic. Like the shower story. But after awhile there was a decline in the quality of the scripts. I think Desi put it best,"The situations seem to be arrived at for the sake of the writers,not for the logic of the story. If you don't start off with a strongly motivated setup scene, then what follows will not be funny,but merely ridiculous. Lucy should never take a chance at looking funny or idiotic. She should always have a strong and logical reason to be able to get away with the outlandish situations in which she becomes involved." Thats my main issue with some of her later work. It didn't appear as reasonable to me. But to those of you who love the Lucy Show and Heres Lucy good for you! To each his own. Everyone has their own tastes.

Ah yes. I know what you mean. I think the writing began to suffer. The early years of the Lucy show had some of the I Love Lucy magic. Like the shower story. But after awhile there was a decline in the quality of the scripts. I think Desi put it best,"The situations seem to be arrived at for the sake of the writers,not for the logic of the story. If you don't start off with a strongly motivated setup scene, then what follows will not be funny,but merely ridiculous. Lucy should never take a chance at looking funny or idiotic. She should always have a strong and logical reason to be able to get away with the outlandish situations in which she becomes involved." Thats my main issue with some of her later work. It didn't appear as reasonable to me. But to those of you who love the Lucy Show and Heres Lucy good for you! To each his own. Everyone has their own tastes.

I love all T H R E E series, but it never helped that gary was there to look for cheap writers and cheap actors all the time, that reduces the quality a bit. I Love Lucy was a tough act to follow, greatest sitcom ever made and all, BUT the comedic genius that was Lucy made all three series great in my book. I just imagine what it would have been like had she been matched with other comedic geniuses for her work, writers, producers, the top echelon of creative people.

I love all T H R E E series, but it never helped that gary was there to look for cheap writers and cheap actors all the time, that reduces the quality a bit. I Love Lucy was a tough act to follow, greatest sitcom ever made and all, BUT the comedic genius that was Lucy made all three series great in my book. I just imagine what it would have been like had she been matched with other comedic geniuses for her work, writers, producers, the top echelon of creative people.

LOL! I agree that Gary wasn't much help. I don't think it was that she had cheap writers. Some of the old I Love Lucy writers would come back and work with her many times. I think not having Desi there to help with script editing hurt her a bit. And the writers ran out of ideas. I also dont think some of the writers she had later on understood how to write for her. Now back to Gary. He may have given her some personal peace but professionally (sp?) the guy was kind of a tool.

LOL! I agree that Gary wasn't much help. I don't think it was that she had cheap writers. Some of the old I Love Lucy writers would come back and work with her many times. I think not having Desi there to help with script editing hurt her a bit. And the writers ran out of ideas. I also dont think some of the writers she had later on understood how to write for her. Now back to Gary. He may have given her some personal peace but professionally (sp?) the guy was kind of a tool.

Oh ditto, babe! I wasn`t referring to the great Bob and Madelyn, i meant the scumbags he knew and gave work to. :lucydisgust:

Oh ditto, babe! I wasn`t referring to the great Bob and Madelyn, i meant the scumbags he knew and gave work to. :lucydisgust:

We seem to be on the same page when it come to Gary! Sometimes I think im being unfair to the guy. After all, I never knew him. But there was just something about the guy that doesnt set right with me. I cant put my finger on it. And in my case anyway its NOT that he "replaced" Desi. It was a great love affair and a great partership but I see why the marriage had to end. You cant go on living in a self-destructive situation. Desi,sadly, went down a path that Lucy had to get off. So of course she should find peace and a happy stable relationship. No Gary bothers me because he never seemed to be his own man. He just seemed to look for all his importance through her.

We seem to be on the same page when it come to Gary! Sometimes I think im being unfair to the guy. After all, I never knew him. But there was just something about the guy that doesnt set right with me. I cant put my finger on it. And in my case anyway its NOT that he "replaced" Desi. It was a great love affair and a great partership but I see why the marriage had to end. You cant go on living in a self-destructive situation. Desi,sadly, went down a path that Lucy to get off. So of course she should find peace and a happy stable relationship. No Gary bothers me because he never seemed to be his own man. He just seemed to look for all his importance through her. Maybe im being unfair but its the vibe ive always gotten from the guy.

Well, what do you SPECT? Second string hack comic finds a meal ticket, but i like to think some of her class did rub off on him though.

And you know Gary and Desi had to have disliked one another, and just put on a good show for Lucy and the kids. I never bought they were friends like Lucy said they were, going golfing together and all that.

Well, Lucy rarely let facts get in the way of a good story. LOL!

And you know Gary and Desi had to have disliked one another, and just put on a good show for Lucy and the kids. I never bought they were friends like Lucy said they were, going golfing together and all that.

Ya I never bought tht either. I really wonder how Gary felt about Desi. It was like he had to go through his life with Lucy with an exhusband-in-law.

I Love Lucy is my favorite of Lucy's series, followed by the first season (maybe 2 & 3 also, because of Viv)) of TLS, then HL. I think one of the main reasons is the continuity of the characters & their lives on ILL. There were adventures at home, across the US, across Europe, & then all of them made the big move to the country.

In TLS, it was fun to explore the dynamic of Lucy, Viv & their kids sharing a home, but the writers seemed to quickly phase out the family aspect & all the scenarios they could have written for that. By season 3 the kids were gone, & so was Viv, yet the series continued for 3 more years. I also think some of Lucy's best work in both series included scenes with Vivian, & it was sad to see her go.

In HL there is the same continuity problem with the kids disappearing. One the reasons HL is my least favorite is that Lucy whining, & especially Lucy arguing with Gale Gordon, had gotten annoying. When a young Lucy Ricardo whined & argued you smiled & thought it was cute. When a 60 plus year old woman is still doing the same thing it came across, to me anyway, as unbelievable & not an age appropriate way for her character to act.

In terms of quality I think ILL is the best. Both TLS & HL had some really wonderful episodes, but the lack of continuity & repetition of plots, & poor quality of some of the scripts (I had to fast forward Lucy & Gale arguing in the HL jungle episode -- awful!) detracted from the TLS & HL for me.

I thought many of her hairstyles were flattering. Can't place one in particular as my favorite look, though I always liked how she looked when a scene called for her to look really dressed up, like when she was going on dates.

Gary? I don't like dishonest people & I really struggle with believing his claim that when he met Lucy he had never seen ANY of the ILL episodes & didn't know who she was.

I really wish Lucy & Desi could have worked things out & enjoyed their old age & all their accomplishments together.

I Love Lucy is my favorite of Lucy's series, followed by the first season (maybe 2 & 3 also, because of Viv)) of TLS, then HL. I think one of the main reasons is the continuity of the characters & their lives on ILL. There were adventures at home, across the US, across Europe, & then all of them made the big move to the country.

In TLS, it was fun to explore the dynamic of Lucy, Viv & their kids sharing a home, but the writers seemed to quickly phase out the family aspect & all the scenarios they could have written for that. By season 3 the kids were gone, & so was Viv, yet the series continued for 3 more years. I also think some of Lucy's best work in both series included scenes with Vivian, & it was sad to see her go.

In HL there is the same continuity problem with the kids disappearing. One the reasons HL is my least favorite is that Lucy whining, & especially Lucy arguing with Gale Gordon, had gotten annoying. When a young Lucy Ricardo whined & argued you smiled & thought it was cute. When a 60 plus year old woman is still doing the same thing it came across, to me anyway, as unbelievable & not an age appropriate way for her character to act.

In terms of quality I think ILL is the best. Both TLS & HL had some really wonderful episodes, but the lack of continuity & repetition of plots, & poor quality of some of the scripts (I had to fast forward Lucy & Gale arguing in the HL jungle episode -- awful!) detracted from the TLS & HL for me.

I thought many of her hairstyles were flattering. Can't place one in particular as my favorite look, though I always liked how she looked when a scene called for her to look really dressed up, like when she was going on dates.

Gary? I don't like dishonest people & I really struggle with believing his claim that when he met Lucy he had never seen ANY of the ILL episodes & didn't know who she was.

I really wish Lucy & Desi could have worked things out & enjoyed their old age & all their accomplishments together.

I couldn't agree more with practically everything you said, Viv, especially the very last comment. Wouldn't that have been something?? I always flash back to that brief scene in Lucie's documentary where they show new grandparents Lucy & Desi playing with Simon in the pool (and I'm still not clear but would love to know where that took place -- did Lucie's house at that time have a pool? Or where they all back together at Roxbury? Sigh....) and in what I perceived as a loving, "wifely" gesture, moved some wet hair out of Desi's face..... Priceless and how fortunate are we that such a private moment was shared. Wundaful! lucycoy.JPG

I couldn't agree more with practically everything you said, Viv, especially the very last comment. Wouldn't that have been something?? I always flash back to that brief scene in Lucie's documentary where they show new grandparents Lucy & Desi playing with Simon in the pool (and I'm still not clear but would love to know where that took place -- did Lucie's house at that time have a pool? Or where they all back together at Roxbury? Sigh....)

Lucie says in her voiceover with the clip that it was her own pool.

Archived