Finding Lucy documentary

Do any of you enjoy this? I certainly do--when I was a teenager I used to always watch it on tape and even memorized a lot of the female narrator's dialogue such as "The future Lucy Ricardo is slowly emerging, like a photograph in a developing bath." I still have that tape but my VCR is being stubborn. I love the jazzy background music they selected. LOL.

But is it true about what they said about Here's Lucy? How the scripts were bad and she had no enthusiasm? And she was only concerned about making money and not for creating something wonderful?

I kind of wish they would've said WHEN Here's Lucy first went on the air, and Life With Lucy as well, and WHEN she passed away. And Lucy was 41 when she had Desi Jr.

I like Finding Lucy but I don't watch it very often. I think it's a little unnecessarily maudlin, particularly when discussing Lucy's post I Love Lucy life/career.

I love it and play it at least once or twice a year but agree with you, they ALL describe that period that way.

I love it and play it at least once or twice a year but agree with you, they ALL describe that period that way.

certainly bothers me. She loved performing no matter how much money she made. And was it true what Dick Martin said about how she didn't have a good happy ending? I think it was LWL's cancellation and Desi's subsequent death that really affected her health. I certainly would have gone through a lot of depression/anxiety at that point.

Only watched it once and remembered it as mostly rehash of everything we've already known. I suppose reading enough books about her didn't help. But also, when you have to go up againt "Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie"...no other documentary can really top that.

Only watched it once and remembered it as mostly rehash of everything we've already known. I suppose reading enough books about her didn't help. But also, when you have to go up againt "Lucy and Desi: A Home Movie"...no other documentary can really top that.

Oh I totally agree the home movie is by far the best documentary, "FInding Lucy" is good, but I get bored after watching it once, unlike the home movie. I talked with Elisabeth Edwards (Lucy author and Lucie Arnaz's assistant) and she got her job as Lucie's assistant because she lived next to the producer or director of the home movie, which I never knew. I had like a fifteen minute talk with her and I learned so much, such a nice lady! (lol, i got off topic) :P

certainly bothers me. She loved performing no matter how much money she made. And was it true what Dick Martin said about how she didn't have a good happy ending? I think it was LWL's cancellation and Desi's subsequent death that really affected her health. I certainly would have gone through a lot of depression/anxiety at that point.

Yes sadly it is true that she didn't have a very happy ending. She was very sad toward the end of her life because of LWL and Desi's death. Many of the people she loved best were gone and she was depressed. Did anyone see some of the notes Susie Morton tried to sell in 2010? Very sad.

Without work, she just felt useless or worthless, if she'd had job offers till the end like it's going for Betty White today, she'd have been fine. Of course a better manager would have helped also.

Without work, she just felt useless or worthless, if she'd had job offers till the end like it's going for Betty White today, she'd have been fine. Of course a better manager would have helped also.

How MANY managers did Lucille EVER have? It seems unlike her to change; do you know, Claude? I don't think I've ever run across the names of any of them, unless I've just overlooked them...Thanks if you can reply....or....ANYONE? JK

Another bad thing about it is that there are only VHS copies available, they haven't put it on DVD! WTH? :lucydisgust:

I've contacted American Masters about putting it on DVD, because it has quite a bit of demand. But they just gave me a bunch of BS about how they have other focuses at the time being and need to work on future projects, but maybe "some day".

How MANY managers did Lucille EVER have? It seems unlike her to change; do you know, Claude? I don't think I've ever run across the names of any of them, unless I've just overlooked them...Thanks if you can reply....or....ANYONE? JK

I was referring to the stinky manager she was married to at the end of her career. You know, the one that looked for HIS cut or HIS renumeration in any project he got for her. Like his salary on Life with Lucy that was even bigger than hers. Although i think someone here showed us the REAL figures and that last one was not true. :lucydisgust:

I've contacted American Masters about putting it on DVD, because it has quite a bit of demand. But they just gave me a bunch of BS about how they have other focuses at the time being and need to work on future projects, but maybe "some day".

Just get a VHS copy and have it transferred to dvd instead.

I was referring to the stinky manager she was married to at the end of her career. You know, the one that looked for HIS cut or HIS renumeration in any project he got for her. Like his salary on Life with Lucy that was even bigger than hers. Although i think someone here showed us the REAL figures and that last one was not true. :lucydisgust:

SHOULD HAVE READ your reply a little more closely, Claude. HOWSOMEVER....who was her manager over the years? Thanks...Love, JK

I remember reading the name of her early managers in books, and one later manager in radio or tv, Charlie Pomerantz wasn't it?

HarryCarter says Pomerantz was publicist; as was Watson....

HARRY????? - is manager the same as publicist? If not, enlighten us....ANYONE else? neil? rickee?

Let's have a go at it.... Thanks.....Love, JK

"If somewhere there is a book of days in which is written our future possibilities, you can be sure that at the top of Lucille Ball's were the words 'Lucy Ricardo'. All other possibilites were merely prelude to the creation of that one character we will never forget." :marionstrong:

Gotta love it. It's true, albeit a little too philosophical.

I enjoy this one, but it's more emotional than informational. It has its inaccuracies, but I really like the 2 part GoodTimes documentary "The Funny World of Lucy" for a more detail-oriented overview of her career. Great use of PD footage.

Archived