The Original Color of Thee Apartment

Just what was the original colors of the Ricardo's Second Apartment in the brownstone?

Sometimes, in pictures, it looks grey and beige, then there are other times it looks blue and grey, or blue and blue.

What was this shows hate with color?? lololol Seems like it was the technicolor 50s! Its so hard to find anything in natural real color

Just what was the original colors of the Ricardo's Second Apartment in the brownstone?

Sometimes, in pictures, it looks grey and beige, then there are other times it looks blue and grey, or blue and blue.

What was this shows hate with color?? lololol Seems like it was the technicolor 50s! Its so hard to find anything in natural real color

Always wondered this myself!! I always thought the bricks in the apartment were a brownish-red but I guess from the pictures I seen that it was a white/grey. What is that? Also I've heard they had yellow walls in the apartment. But maybe the set was repainted a lot?

BUUUUUT.

I have no idea! Hopefully someone can enlight us in this!

I always read that it was done up in various shades of grey to photograph better in black and white. The first season of The Lucy show also had those dull shades. And of course, it also was shot in black and white.

In addition to what Claude said about the need to use gray when filming black & white, check out the bonus features in the I Love Lucy boxed set. An audience member snuck in a movie camera & filmed bits of scenes from the Tropicana (the band uniforms were minty green!) & also some of the apartment. Supposedly this is the only know color footage from the set.

I don't remember what the exact shade was on the walls as I was too distracted by the colors & pattern of the loveseat :lucyshock: . Let's just say that if that was the kind of loveseat Lucy wanted, she sure got a good one! :lucythrill:

As far as I know this is the grey used. I think the shades of grey changed a bit throughout the 1953-1956 seasons.

Thanks so much. Ive seen a lot of pictures and everytime the tint is off. Ill see about playing with some.

I just hate that more things werent in color, thinking how colorful each show was.

As far as I know this is the grey used. I think the shades of grey changed a bit throughout the 1953-1956 seasons.

Thanks for the picture too. This is about the same grayish color I saw, in Lucy holding Rickys cigarette in the comic covers.

Those are about the only color pics of I Love Lucy left around through comic covers.

Archived