NO LAUGHING MATTER 8/25/12

Front page, above the fold - LEFT:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - No Laughing Matter - Lucy-Desi Exec Seeks Support From City Council, by Liz Skoczylas - "The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy is seeking support from City Council for upcoming festivals - though what kind of support it is looking for remains to be seen.

During Monday night's City Council work session, Journey Gunderson, Executive Director of the Lucy-Desi Center, spoke about the progress the festival has made over the course of its years.

'Our goals in presenting to City Council were to update them on the progress of the festival and the organization, and ask for their support as a partner,' Gunderson told The Post-Journal.

During her presentation, Gunderson said the center needs more support because it cannot continue to put on Lucy Fest alone. Over the last several years, the Lucy Festival has received more than $33,000 from the county to help with marketing and promotion.

'We could not have done this without those funds . . . We are here to ask for your feedback; but, also to ask for your support going forward, so we can continue our momentum,' Gunderson said Monday.

The article goes on . . . with MANY more 'words'.... nothing substantial in the way of suggestions, etc. There is a huge full-2 column-half-page above-the-fold TIMELINE on page A6 - Area News - commencing with 1991 and through to 1992-Present.... outlining monies received and/or 'used' to 'build and move, etc.' so far - no mention of donations over the years mentioned from 'others'... [for instance: family, foundations, grants, gifts, bank loans, out-right cash donations, memberships, archival support, donations for operating expenses, etc.]

The words that jump out of the page to me, alarmingly, are these in bold print above.... just sayin . . . respectfully submitted, JK

Wonder why. It seems they had sponsors coming out the wazoo this year.

I thought so, as well....I'll keep an eye out for further gossip...

In the meantime, today's Post-Journal [sunday a.m.]

"Question of the Day": How should the city increase support for the Lucy Festival?"

reduce fees 15%; Assist with Grants 21%; Budget Item 18%; No increase 47%!!!!

Following are a sampling of comments:

"It looks like a majority want some form of increased support, but I prefer the b/c approach, which is likely new revenue as opposed to a trade-off. it does not normally take a lot of funding to improve projects, it really takes good research on what does/does not work to attract people and good ideas to make improvements."

"Jamestown cannot expect to survive on Lucy-Desi alone. The Lucy generation is getting old and the younger generations do not have the history and likely will not support continuing to rely on Lucy-Desi to pump up the local economy."

[The Question of the Day can be found by visiting our Web site, www.post-journal.com] - results as of 10:00 p.m. Saturday night

I'm going to call the Post-Journal this morning to see how many voted.....that way, we can get a more clear view of percentages. I'll report on this tomorrow... JK

no mention of donations over the years mentioned from 'others'... [for instance: family, foundations, grants, gifts, bank loans, out-right cash donations, memberships, archival support, donations for operating expenses, etc.]

JK, what about writing a letter to the editor about these omissions in the article? Then again, maybe not if it keeps the town from helping the center financially. If the center can't pay its bills/make enough profit ...yikes, I don't even want to think about if it ever closes. (What would happen to all the artifacts??) Thanks for keeping us updated.

I keep telling myself someday I'll get to Jamestown to see the museum & exhibits. My gut tells me I better start making some concrete plans, & soon ...

I'm going to call the Post-Journal this morning to see how many voted.....that way, we can get a more clear view of percentages. I'll report on this tomorrow... JK

Called; got a recording; hoping for a phone call today...

Never HAVE been able to navigate their website; and wouldn't know where to look if I did....

LATER...

In the meantime, today's Post-Journal [sunday a.m.]

"Question of the Day": How should the city increase support for the Lucy Festival?"

reduce fees 15%; Assist with Grants 21%; Budget Item 18%; No increase 47%!!!!

Following are a sampling of comments:

"It looks like a majority want some form of increased support, but I prefer the b/c approach, which is likely new revenue as opposed to a trade-off. it does not normally take a lot of funding to improve projects, it really takes good research on what does/does not work to attract people and good ideas to make improvements."

"Jamestown cannot expect to survive on Lucy-Desi alone. The Lucy generation is getting old and the younger generations do not have the history and likely will not support continuing to rely on Lucy-Desi to pump up the local economy."

[The Question of the Day can be found by visiting our Web site, www.post-journal.com] - results as of 10:00 p.m. Saturday night

Just received the following from Andrew, at the Post-Journal:

To: Joyce Kellogg <babe4barney@yahoo.com>

Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 8:15 PM

Subject: Re: Question of the Day - 8/26/12

Joyce,

Here are the exact number of votes--

1) Reduce city service fees for the event (DPW, police, etc.)

34 votes [15%]

2) Assist in securing state or federal grants

52 votes [21%]

3) Create a budget line and provide annual funding

43 votes [18%]

4) Do not increase support

115 votes [47%]

47%, of 115 votes, is the number for 'no increase in support'

I AM surprised at the large number of votes .... JK

Archived