Bea Benaderet

We need a thread about Bea Benaderet, Lucy's costar on MY FAVORITE HUSBAND and the first choice for Ethel Mertz. I've always known who she was, being a young kid when PETTICOAT JUNCTION was on. She was a wonderful comedienne although regrettably she was the "straight man" on PETTICOAT. Bea was at her best IMO on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES as the man-hungry hick Pearl Bodine, her bitch fights with Granny (the fabulous Irene Ryan) were as hilarious as Lucy and Ethel's wars. Bea was also excellent on THE GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN SHOW (her only Emmy nominations and the reason she couldn't do ILL)and of course is was the voice of Betty Rubble on THE FLINTSTONES.

Much as I love Bea, I think Viv was the most perfect Ethel Mertz that could be and I don't think the chemistry would have been as strong between Lucy and her "second banana". And frankly I hate Bea's lone appearance on ILL as that caricature of an old lady, a badly written, broadly drawn part totally out of sync with the show. I would have much rather have seen her guest as a new friend who becomes a rival to Ethel as Lucy's best friend (or maybe a new friend of Ethel's that Lucy is jealous of.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a thread about Bea Benaderet, Lucy's costar on MY FAVORITE HUSBAND and the first choice for Ethel Mertz. I've always known who she was, being a young kid when PETTICOAT JUNCTION was on. She was a wonderful comedienne although regrettably she was the "straight man" on PETTICOAT. Bea was at her best IMO on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES as the man-hungry hick Pearl Bodine, her bitch fights with Granny (the fabulous Irene Ryan) were as hilarious as Lucy and Ethel's wars. Bea was also excellent on THE GEORGE BURNS AND GRACIE ALLEN SHOW (her only Emmy nominations and the reason she couldn't do ILL)and of course is was the voice of Betty Rubble on THE FLINTSTONES.

Much as I love Bea, I think Viv was the most perfect Ethel Mertz that could be and I don't think the chemistry would have been as strong between Lucy and her "second banana". And frankly I hate Bea's lone appearance on ILL as that caricature of an old lady, a badly written, broadly drawn part totally out of sync with the show. I would have much rather have seen her guest as a new friend who becomes a rival to Ethel as Lucy's best friend (or maybe a new friend of Ethel's that Lucy is jealous of.)

I A D O R E Bea, always have, always will. Even though her lone appearance on ILL was not perfect, she WAS, playing an old lady like that so convincingly. And i'm currently watching Hillbillies so i agree about her performance on that show as being her all time best, she and Irene were flawless pros, no question about that. I liked Petticoat Junction but found it weak compared to the other two bucholic comedies of Hillbillies and Green Acres. But when Bea passed away, the show suffered a lot, she was the glue. I forget if it was June Lockhart who replaced her but although she had her beauty, she didn't have her warmth.

Loved Bea too and always thought it was funny after learning eons ago that she was Lucy's first choice as Ethel that she never had her on more times -- especially since she was "gussied up" as an old lady and most viewers wouldn't have known the difference -- as you say, another friend of hers, perhaps in the women's league or a new neighbor or (great idea!) even as new "friend" and rival between Lucy and Ethel -- certainly could have enhanced story possibilities plus we know how well they worked together!

Also funny she never appeared in at least one TLS since it would have been great to see them work together again. Oh what could have been but never was! lucydisgust.JPG

Loved Bea too and always thought it was funny after learning eons ago that she was Lucy's first choice as Ethel that she never had her on more times -- especially since she was "gussied up" as an old lady and most viewers wouldn't have known the difference -- as you say, another friend of hers, perhaps in the women's league or a new neighbor or (great idea!) even as new "friend" and rival between Lucy and Ethel -- certainly could have enhanced story possibilities plus we know how well they worked together!

Also funny she never appeared in at least one TLS since it would have been great to see them work together again. Oh what could have been but never was! lucydisgust.JPG

Yes, but wasn't Bea always working on other projects anyway and therefore did not need the work?

Yes, but wasn't Bea always working on other projects anyway and therefore did not need the work?

Very true, she was working nonstop with PETTICOAT JUNCTION and THE FLINTSTONES both running at the same time, really no time for nothing else, still it would have been wonderful to see her reunited with Lucy in something, maybe Lucy's radio show?. I've always found it a little curious that Lucy and Bea appear to have never been photographed together in the 1960's when they were both major sitcom stars, I guess they were both so busy for their paths to have crossed and of course nobody knew Bea wouldn't survive the decade.

Very true, she was working nonstop with PETTICOAT JUNCTION and THE FLINTSTONES both running at the same time, really no time for nothing else, still it would have been wonderful to see her reunited with Lucy in something, maybe Lucy's radio show?. I've always found it a little curious that Lucy and Bea appear to have never been photographed together in the 1960's when they were both major sitcom stars, I guess they were both so busy for their paths to have crossed and of course nobody knew Bea wouldn't survive the decade.

I always wondered why another great sitcom actress never crossed paths with Lucy and that's the mom on Everybody Loves Raymond, Doris Roberts.

Bea is great on the Beverly Hillbillies. irene and her had great chemistry together. While the straight man on Pettiocat Junction she handled the dramatic, warm scenes in it like the weeding, baby birthplace shows, with great skill and reality. She was great also on the Flintstones. I am young but I remember a few George Burns and I don't think she was used enough. With I Love Lucy her old lady is charming but it is a strange show and not my favorite.

I A D O R E Bea, always have, always will. Even though her lone appearance on ILL was not perfect, she WAS, playing an old lady like that so convincingly. And i'm currently watching Hillbillies so i agree about her performance on that show as being her all time best, she and Irene were flawless pros, no question about that. I liked Petticoat Junction but found it weak compared to the other two bucholic comedies of Hillbillies and Green Acres. But when Bea passed away, the show suffered a lot, she was the glue. I forget if it was June Lockhart who replaced her but although she had her beauty, she didn't have her warmth.

I feel she's too obviously not an old lady, kind of like Carol Burnett in a variety show sketch but it just doesn't work in a "realistic" sitcom setting. PJ was one of those nice little shows nobody really got excited about watching but it was a pleasant way to kill a half hour, kind of the 60's answer to the Ann Sothern Show guess.

Love June Lockhart too and think she did as well as anyone could on PJ and it was nice to see a quasi-feminist character in one of the "rural" sitcoms, heck it was rare enough on a citified show.

I always wondered why another great sitcom actress never crossed paths with Lucy and that's the mom on Everybody Loves Raymond, Doris Roberts.

Was Doris in Hollywood before 1978's ANGIE? I don't remember seeing her in anything earlier. And of course 1978-89 Lucy didn't work very much so I'm not surprised they didn't cross paths. Doris had REMINGTON STEELE in the 1980's but that was kind of a throwaway role on the show as I recall (wasn't a regular viewer), she didn't really come into her on as a famous character actress until after Lucy's death.

I would have loved to have seen Irene Ryan get a guest gig on HERE'S LUCY after the Hillbillies ended but then she was gone within two years of the last BH so it would have had to have been in a limited window of tme.

And Imogene Coca!! Now there's one comedienne I would have adored seeing work with Lucy. I remember when Lucy was put in the Television Hall of Fame she mentioned a half-dozen or so names she expected to be inducted in the near future and Imogene was the only woman she mentioned. Outrageously, Imogene (who died about ten years ago) still has not been inducted.

Was Doris in Hollywood before 1978's ANGIE? I don't remember seeing her in anything earlier. And of course 1978-89 Lucy didn't work very much so I'm not surprised they didn't cross paths. Doris had REMINGTON STEELE in the 1980's but that was kind of a throwaway role on the show as I recall (wasn't a regular viewer), she didn't really come into her on as a famous character actress until after Lucy's death.

I would have loved to have seen Irene Ryan get a guest gig on HERE'S LUCY after the Hillbillies ended but then she was gone within two years of the last BH so it would have had to have been in a limited window of tme.

And Imogene Coca!! Now there's one comedienne I would have adored seeing work with Lucy. I remember when Lucy was put in the Television Hall of Fame she mentioned a half-dozen or so names she expected to be inducted in the near future and Imogene was the only woman she mentioned. Outrageously, Imogene (who died about ten years ago) still has not been inducted.

Doris has a sporadic movie and television career from the early sixties, which became steadier by the end of the decade and has been going strong ever since. Two of my favourite pre-Angie roles of Doris' was her story arc as Mrs. Flotsky and as Helen, who shared a classic scene with Cloris in the MTM episode Phyllis Whips Inflation.

The earliest Doris Roberts sitcom appearance I am aware of is her role as Helen Farrell, employment agency clerk who has a run-in with Phyllis in Mary Tyler Moore. That was in 1975. She had done small movie roles and dramatic TV guest parts. According to Rue McClanahan, Doris was originally cast as Vivian on Maude, in 1972, but was replaced by Rue before she filmed her first episode. Doris Roberts played Mary's maid om The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, but was replaced by Dodie Goodman after only one episode. Since Lucy appeared on the show (although neither maid character was in the episode), that could be the closest she came to Doris.

Doris has a sporadic movie and television career from the early sixties, which became steadier by the end of the decade and has been going strong ever since. Two of my favourite pre-Angie roles of Doris' was her story arc as Mrs. Flotsky and as Helen, who shared a classic scene with Cloris in the MTM episode Phyllis Whips Inflation.

Remind us oh kind sir what her scene with Clitoris entailed, it's been eons since I've seen a Phyllis ep. :D

I guess Doris is another classic example of a middle-aged working actress who didn't "come into her own" until later in life (not unlike Kathy Joosten, who comes to mind, late of Desperate Housewives and West Wing.) Among her many other "small" roles were fave-of-mine turns as a lonely gal in Kelsey's Bar who befriends an out on the town Edith Bunker in All in the Family, a foul-mouthed clerk to Dan Bucatinsky in his All Over the Guy and in a part that seemed to end up on the cutting room floor, Bette Midler's mother in The Rose.

Loves me some Doris and sorry the pilot she was supposed to do recently was shuttled due to an unfortunate accident suffered by co-star Delta Burke. Pity.

Bea Benadaret's son, Jack Bannon, had a small role in the Here's Lucy episode "Lucy, the Conclusion Jumper," which aired one week after Bea's death.

Wow I never knew she'd had children. I can't picture him but from his IMDB bio, he certainly did a lot of episodic television, played lots of doctors. Cool! :D

Wow I never knew she'd had children. I can't picture him but from his IMDB bio, he certainly did a lot of episodic television, played lots of doctors. Cool! :D

Trivia: He's also John Travolta's brother-in-law, married to Ellen of Welcome Back, Kotter and Charles In Charge fame. ;)

He was a regular on "Lou Grant" playing Art Donovan. He was thin and semi-bald on that show. I never knew until checking on IMDb that he made multiple appearances in small roles on his mama's show and was Dash Riprock rival Bolt Upright on "The Beverly Hillbillies", very young back then (born in 1940). I remember he was profiled once in TV GUIDE during the LG run and it mentioned he was quiet like his mother which kind of surprised me given Bea's lively personality in most tv appearances but then of course Lucy wasn't "Lucy" either.

Bea is great on the Beverly Hillbillies. irene and her had great chemistry together. While the straight man on Pettiocat Junction she handled the dramatic, warm scenes in it like the weeding, baby birthplace shows, with great skill and reality. She was great also on the Flintstones. I am young but I remember a few George Burns and I don't think she was used enough. With I Love Lucy her old lady is charming but it is a strange show and not my favorite.

I was surprised at the voice over at the end saying what a great pleasure it had been to have the great Edward Everret Horton as a guest on the show. He was a HUGE name back then and they acknowledged that.

I feel she's too obviously not an old lady, kind of like Carol Burnett in a variety show sketch but it just doesn't work in a "realistic" sitcom setting. PJ was one of those nice little shows nobody really got excited about watching but it was a pleasant way to kill a half hour, kind of the 60's answer to the Ann Sothern Show guess.

Love June Lockhart too and think she did as well as anyone could on PJ and it was nice to see a quasi-feminist character in one of the "rural" sitcoms, heck it was rare enough on a citified show.

But, like the way guests stars played different characters on ILL and i never did like that, ruined the reality of it all, they did the same thing when they cast Bea on Hillbillies and then changed her completely for the role on Petticoat Junction, so when they did these shows where they intercrossed, it made it weird to have Pearl now playing the matriarch on Petticoat Junction.

The earliest Doris Roberts sitcom appearance I am aware of is her role as Helen Farrell, employment agency clerk who has a run-in with Phyllis in Mary Tyler Moore. That was in 1975. She had done small movie roles and dramatic TV guest parts. According to Rue McClanahan, Doris was originally cast as Vivian on Maude, in 1972, but was replaced by Rue before she filmed her first episode. Doris Roberts played Mary's maid om The Mary Tyler Moore Hour, but was replaced by Dodie Goodman after only one episode. Since Lucy appeared on the show (although neither maid character was in the episode), that could be the closest she came to Doris.

Oh, so they DID come close then, thanks.

Remind us oh kind sir what her scene with Clitoris entailed, it's been eons since I've seen a Phyllis ep. :D

I guess Doris is another classic example of a middle-aged working actress who didn't "come into her own" until later in life (not unlike Kathy Joosten, who comes to mind, late of Desperate Housewives and West Wing.) Among her many other "small" roles were fave-of-mine turns as a lonely gal in Kelsey's Bar who befriends an out on the town Edith Bunker in All in the Family, a foul-mouthed clerk to Dan Bucatinsky in his All Over the Guy and in a part that seemed to end up on the cutting room floor, Bette Midler's mother in The Rose.

Loves me some Doris and sorry the pilot she was supposed to do recently was shuttled due to an unfortunate accident suffered by co-star Delta Burke. Pity.

Oh my yes, forgot about Doris being in All Over The Guy. She was Bette's mom in The Rose?????

He was a regular on "Lou Grant" playing Art Donovan. He was thin and semi-bald on that show. I never knew until checking on IMDb that he made multiple appearances in small roles on his mama's show and was Dash Riprock rival Bolt Upright on "The Beverly Hillbillies", very young back then (born in 1940). I remember he was profiled once in TV GUIDE during the LG run and it mentioned he was quiet like his mother which kind of surprised me given Bea's lively personality in most tv appearances but then of course Lucy wasn't "Lucy" either.

Oh yeah, i knew the name was familiar, he was on Lou Grant, that's right and i also remember him now as Bolt Upright too.

Archived