Bea Benaderet

Bea was incredible. It's a shame she died so young, as she could have made appearances in later Lucy shows. I think she voiced Liz's mom early on. I am kind of happy that they went with Eleanor Audley for that one.

Actually, she voiced George's mother for the character's first appearance. This was before she was cast as Iris, when she was doing numerous bit parts on the show. Mrs. Cooper was her first big role. Funnily enough, Gale Gordon played her love interest in that episode!

I agree that Eleanor Audley was better suited for the part, but Bea certainly made the most of Iris.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought a new tower; a-h's deleted all my favorites; one of which I used extensively in my research for My Favorite Husband, showed every episode, short paragraph about content of each; dates; stars; etc.  Loved that site;

been looking - can't find it - the SITE, that is; does anyone out there have the site; so, I can put it back in my favorites folder?  THANKS from ME, if you can.

JK

DISREGARD - JUST FOUND IT!!!!!!! :HALKING:

Since Vivian Vance made Ethel Mertz her own, It's hard to imagine someone else in the role, but if you couldn't have Viv, I think Bea would have worked.   Same way with Sandra Gould as the "new" Gladys Kravitz.  Could be that the scripts were getting stale but she can't hold a candle to Alice Pearce.  ("She's not fit to touch the strap of her binoculars"), but if we hadn't had Alice first maybe Sandra wouldn't have seemed so bad.   After Alice got too sick to work, they subsituted Mary Grace Canfield as "miss Kravitz", Abner's sister before recasting Gladys with Gould.   MaryGrace had a different approach that worked in its own way.  I wondered if they considered Mary Wickes as a possible replacement.  In the bio of Mary, it states that some people got her and Alice confused.  Both played lovelorn spinsters on Dennis the Menace, though Mary as Miss Cathcart was on more episodes.     Here's my edit of an episode featuring the two of them at the absolute top of their game.

What Dennis overheard was the Wilsons talking about being partners in a bridge game.

Actually, she voiced George's mother for the character's first appearance. This was before she was cast as Iris, when she was doing numerous bit parts on the show. Mrs. Cooper was her first big role. Funnily enough, Gale Gordon played her love interest in that episode!

I agree that Eleanor Audley was better suited for the part, but Bea certainly made the most of Iris.

I think they should have given Sandra a different "Gladys Kravitz-Type" character rather than have her be a replacement. Alice Pearce is one of those performances that needs to be held on a pedestal as one of the funniest in TV history. It's a bit degrading to give the character to Sandra. Oh well, she did the best she could.

• 3 years later...

Archived