The Vivian and Bill feud

Since none of us were actually backstage during the tapings and rehearsals of I Love Lucy, do you think all of the facts about those two hating each other was true? I'm sure it was to some degree, but when Vivian won her Emmy, I saw Bill pat her on the back as she walked onstage. And they were talking to each other during the warm up scene in the I Love Lucy movie. And those facts about Bill not caring about anything else but his own lines seemed kind of hard to believe because in a few episodes he was trying not to crack up in some scenes, especially the end of "Lucy Wants New Furniture." Maybe it was because of Lucy that made him laugh. He was always in awe of her talent. But I also agree about when he'd fall asleep--I saw a picture of it. I wonder if he hated Vivian as much as she hated him. I mean, there are some people I can't stand working with but it's not enough to make me pull my car over and throw up!

Also have you ever heard the story about in "Lucy's Showbiz Swan Song" about how Bill insisted he do the repeats in the Sweet Adeline number because Lucy sounded terrible? (Which was supposed to happen?) Somehow it became Viv's job to shut him up. I read this excerpt in "Ball of Fire" which I think is about 60% true in terms of the Lucy universe.

I don't think it was as bad as it's been made out to be. Viv and Bill certainly weren't pals but I don't think they wanted to kill each other. They were both very professional and you can never tell they 'hated' each other if that were the case.

I wish we could talk to Lucy and find out the real story of what went on, as well as Viv but that sure ain't happening anytime soon. Yeah they didn't like each other, that's for sure, but from what I've seen it wasn't as bad as people say.

Lucy told somebody that the Viv and Bill feud was not what everyone made it out to be. So I dunno...

Funny how none of us knew this was going on while they were the most popular show on tv, it only came out much later like the feud between Bea and Betty on Golden Girls, well, Bea anyway. Betty didn't stoop so low.

Funny how none of us knew this was going on while they were the most popular show on tv, it only came out much later like the feud between Bea and Betty on Golden Girls, well, Bea anyway. Betty didn't stoop so low.

Based on that comment, it seemed like V & B liked each other just a little bit but they definitely weren't friends. About the GGs, I sometimes feel the same way about one of my co-workers at work--she's so optimistic and bubbly sometimes and it's too much for me, but I never express distaste to her face, like Bea.

I wish we could talk to Lucy and find out the real story of what went on, as well as Viv but that sure ain't happening anytime soon. Yeah they didn't like each other, that's for sure, but from what I've seen it wasn't as bad as people say.

LOL @ "anytime soon" :lucythrill:

Archived