Miss Ball's Make up

Annaleigh

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have that picture on my phone. I don't see why everyone thought it was terrible. I think she looks hawt. :marionstrong:

I totally agree Taylor. I think she looks great. I mean, if anything, I'd say that the blush is poorly placed on her face - it's below her cheekbones. Apart from that it looks great - it's very au van gade and looks exactly like her!

The whole idea of the Blackglama Legend campaign (which despite today's standards towards fur is still going) was indeed to be instantly recognizable as the star they were. While it would have been great to have Lucy back as the "Queen of the Gypsies" look for the ad, in my mind, it may have been very odd for a woman of her age at that time to try and go back again...all those years later. It may have worked, but when you look at the whole campaign of amazing faces, Lucy may have stuck out like a sore thumb and regretting the decision to do it. Yes, she was known as a beautiful clown and the Queen of Comedy but to have a wacky image represent her as an older woman...just not sure. While Lee Tannen, Peter Rogers and the team wanted her to do it...I think the fact that they ended up with a glamour shot was not a bad idea at all. Let's not forget that Lucy did the glam thing for years and years and those always worked as well.

The whole idea of the Blackglama Legend campaign (which despite today's standards towards fur is still going) was indeed to be instantly recognizable as the star they were. While it would have been great to have Lucy back as the "Queen of the Gypsies" look for the ad, in my mind, it may have been very odd for a woman of her age at that time to try and go back again...all those years later. It may have worked, but when you look at the whole campaign of amazing faces, Lucy may have stuck out like a sore thumb and regretting the decision to do it. Yes, she was known as a beautiful clown and the Queen of Comedy but to have a wacky image represent her as an older woman...just not sure. While Lee Tannen, Peter Rogers and the team wanted her to do it...I think the fact that they ended up with a glamour shot was not a bad idea at all. Let's not forget that Lucy did the glam thing for years and years and those always worked as well.

I think that's what they wanted. Glamour shots of the greats. Plus that shot looks marvelous! Plus I think her blush looks so weird because of the way they edited the photo.

I wonder why she never really used it? I'm sure because of the styling process but still she had lovely red locks!

I'm pretty sure it was because the wigs covered that lift contraption thing. BUT, it sure was a shock to see her much later at the Kennedy Center to honor one of Bob's birthdays and she's wearing her own hair and her face all natural as she was definitely NOT wearing any lift of any kind. And it showed! In that blue dress singing Hey Look Him Over.

I'm pretty sure it was because the wigs covered that lift contraption thing. BUT, it sure was a shock to see her much later at the Kennedy Center to honor one of Bob's birthdays and she's wearing her own hair and her face all natural as she was definitely NOT wearing any lift of any kind. And it showed! In that blue dress singing Hey Look Him Over.

You're right Claude - she originally started wearing the wig because she was told about it from another actress (forget her name) who also used to wear that skin lift contraption thing LOL!

I think that's what they wanted. Glamour shots of the greats. Plus that shot looks marvelous! Plus I think her blush looks so weird because of the way they edited the photo.

My two objections to the photo is that her hair looks like they dipped her head-first into a vat of shellac and the photo retouchers had to sketch her nose back in with a pencil after airbrushing off the whole damn thing.

Duh! I knew that. I feel dumb for saying it now! Haha.

You're right Claude - she originally started wearing the wig because she was told about it from another actress (forget her name) who also used to wear that skin lift contraption thing LOL!

It's called the Gene Hibbs make up and it was her good friend Ann Sothern who introduced her to it, at first Lucy recoiled at the idea of wearing it, but when she saw the results, she was all for it and sure was right!

You're absolutely right, and look at all the other women who have done this, they all have that sophisticated LOOK.

I totally agree Taylor. I think she looks great. I mean, if anything, I'd say that the blush is poorly placed on her face - it's below her cheekbones. Apart from that it looks great - it's very au van gade and looks exactly like her!

Way Bandy, who i believe was THE best and most famous make up man at that time, later died of AIDS i think, did a terrific job on her.

This shot appeared in loads of fashion magazines at the time, let's face it, they were selling FUR COATS to the affluent types and i swear, the first time i saw it, i wasn't sure it was Lucy. We had NEVER seen her look like that before. And let's face it, Lucy was the whitest white woman the world ever knew, she was always pale like Conan O'brien, never got any sun on her (caused excess wrinkling dontcha know).

My two objections to the photo is that her hair looks like they dipped her head-first into a vat of shellac and the photo retouchers had to sketch her nose back in with a pencil after airbrushing off the whole damn thing.

She first encountered shellacked hair back at MGM when she had those Campbell's Soup can sized hair curls that wouldn't move in a storm. Must have been Ann Miller's hair person who convinced her, YOU CAN DANCE ALL YOU WANT, DO SLAPSTICK, THAT HAIR WILL NEVER MOVE!

Here's a tidbit: I remember in 1963 or so, my little sister was given the Lucy and her Family paper doll set. I played with it, too, and I always thought--really, for the longest time--that Lucy was much MUCH younger than Vivian, even on the Lucy Show. She always had a very youthful way about her, and that helped preserve the impression of youth.

Lucy had the advantage over Viv that she retained a lithe and graceful body. Watch the 2 of them perform "Mama's Muumuu" from "Goes Hawaiian Part 2". Viv's thick in the middle and moves stiffly. Lucy has a slender figure and moves like a young woman.

Lucy had the advantage over Viv that she retained a lithe and graceful body. Watch the 2 of them perform "Mama's Muumuu" from "Goes Hawaiian Part 2". Viv's thick in the middle and moves stiffly. Lucy has a slender figure and moves like a young woman.

Yup, you gotta give Lucy that, she always kept in shape and kept herself busy, Viv only read with Mr Dodds, i mean what else could she do with a gay hubby? LOL!

Yup, you gotta give Lucy that, she always kept in shape and kept herself busy, Viv only read with Mr Dodds, i mean what else could she do with a gay hubby? LOL!

This is totally random, but according to Viv, Dodds kept her pretty happy in the hay. So wouldn't that have made Dodds bisexual instead of strictly gay? Or was Viv lying? :lucythrill:

It's called the Gene Hibbs make up and it was her good friend Ann Sothern who introduced her to it, at first Lucy recoiled at the idea of wearing it, but when she saw the results, she was all for it and sure was right!

If I remember correctly, Lucy had to be convinced to use the "Gene Hibbs' method," and when she came out after having it applied, she asked someone, "does my mouth look like an asshole to you?" That quote was in the Desilu book!

Incidentally, Gene Hibbs worked with many veteran actresses, and he was someone who pioneered using different colored foundations on their faces and necks to achieve a youthful glow. Watch Ann Sothern in the later Lucy episodes--underneath her chin and down her neck are much darker than her actual face. Hibbs also used this method on Bette Davis in "Dead Ringer." It's especially evident on Bette when she's in outside shots, and I assume--in real life--she must've been quite a sight. Almost like she was wearing a kabuki mask!

This is totally random, but according to Viv, Dodds kept her pretty happy in the hay. So wouldn't that have made Dodds bisexual instead of strictly gay? Or was Viv lying? :lucythrill:

I think Dodds was gay but found love for Vivian. After all, it was quoted that Viv said "I've used muscles that I've never used before" after their honeymoon! :lucyhaha:

Archived