DECEMBER 18: Here's Lucy Season Six (DVD) -- Cover Art!

Robert13

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me, or has that image been flipped? I feel like we're seeing everyone through a mirror...if so, why would they do that? Unless they just absolutely wanted Lucy on the left for marketing purposes...still kind of bothers me. :P

Looks good to me. Lucie's rings, Gale's "pocket sqare", and Lucy's smaller eye are on the correct side.

I find myself continually coming back to this thread just to look at that beautiful cover. LOL

It is a beautiful and dignified pictured. You wouldn't think these three would get in the gorilla-infused messes they do.

And not to quibble, carp, or squawk, but this is a not a pic from season 6 unless Kim grew out her hair in the summer of 73 and bobbed it off before her first HL appearance---(ala Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby).

Looking through the episode list, I don't remember Kim in many of them, but Lucie Arnaz does some of her best work ("Wandering Mother", "NG" "Lucy Meets Lucy"), capping it off with her greatest appearance in the whole series "Fights the System", perhaps the only Kim-centered episode I like--a Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy nomination-worthy performance.

"Honey, you could EAT in the kitchen"

"If I did favors, I'd have one of my own"

"I'm hip!!" (sly wink)

"Waitress?? What happened to 'pussycat'?"

and some of my favorite Lucy Carter lines:

"Harry for once you've got a great idea. Don't louse it up."

(After having spent her lunch hour shopping, she starts to eat back at the office)

Harry: "You're eating your lunch on MY TIME?" Lucy: "Yes, if I ate during my lunch hour, I'd have to shop on your time and that wouldn't be fair."

"That's a great philosophy. I'll try to remember that when I become 40/SHUT UP"

This is one of the few episode to acknowledge the advancing years:

"Lucille....you're not THAT young" "I'm not but KIM IS".

"Harry, there are companies that won't do business with us because of OUR ages. Now's our chance to fight back."

And of course, the greatest 'end of series' summation by Harry after he's covered with pie:

"I knew it would end like this!"

People can (and do) knock Bob O'Brien's scripts but when he's on a roll in an episode, he's 2nd only to Bob and Madelyn. O'Brien is responsible for practically all my favorite non-B&M LS/HL episodes.

(not sure I got all these lines verbatim)

It is a beautiful and dignified pictured. You wouldn't think these three would get in the gorilla-infused messes they do.

And not to quibble, carp, or squawk, but this is a not a pic from season 6 unless Kim grew out her hair in the summer of 73 and bobbed it off before her first HL appearance---(ala Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby).

The picture is actually from a photo shoot done prior to or at the very beginning of season five. With the exception of season one, none of the DVD covers correspond with the actual season. (This isn't a complaint!)

The picture is actually from a photo shoot done prior to or at the very beginning of season five. With the exception of season one, none of the DVD covers correspond with the actual season. (This isn't a complaint!)

Bingo! Jimmy's right: the photo session dates to May 18, 1972 -- the day they filmed the Totie Fields episode, "Lucy, the Other Woman."

Great photo!

Even though 1972 sounds relatively "late" in the scheme of things, it really was not in terms of publicity photos and color. Even though all of the networks' programs had been color-cast since the mid-1960s, most publishing companies (newspapers, magazines, etc.) still preferred to work with black-and-white (except for magazine cover art)... So the majority of the publicity photos taken were B&W. It's always spectacular to find shots like this that have not been used to death in other venues...

Hooray!

Tjw

Bingo! Jimmy's right: the photo session dates to May 18, 1972 -- the day they filmed the Totie Fields episode, "Lucy, the Other Woman."

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing the date. "Lucy, the Other Woman" was the last episode Lucie shot before she cut her hair, so I knew it could not be any later than that.

Looking through the episode list, I don't remember Kim in many of them, but Lucie Arnaz does some of her best work ("Wandering Mother", "NG" "Lucy Meets Lucy"), capping it off with her greatest appearance in the whole series "Fights the System", perhaps the only Kim-centered episode I like--a Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy nomination-worthy performance.

"Honey, you could EAT in the kitchen"

"If I did favors, I'd have one of my own"

"I'm hip!!" (sly wink)

"Waitress?? What happened to 'pussycat'?"

and some of my favorite Lucy Carter lines:

"Harry for once you've got a great idea. Don't louse it up."

(After having spent her lunch hour shopping, she starts to eat back at the office)

Harry: "You're eating your lunch on MY TIME?" Lucy: "Yes, if I ate during my lunch hour, I'd have to shop on your time and that wouldn't be fair."

"That's a great philosophy. I'll try to remember that when I become 40/SHUT UP"

This is one of the few episode to acknowledge the advancing years:

"Lucille....you're not THAT young" "I'm not but KIM IS".

"Harry, there are companies that won't do business with us because of OUR ages. Now's our chance to fight back."

And of course, the greatest 'end of series' summation by Harry after he's covered with pie:

"I knew it would end like this!"

People can (and do) knock Bob O'Brien's scripts but when he's on a roll in an episode, he's 2nd only to Bob and Madelyn. O'Brien is responsible for practically all my favorite non-B&M LS/HL episodes.

(not sure I got all these lines verbatim)

Could you list the O'brien eps you think are so deserving of your praise? So we could judge too.

96aogl.jpg

:HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING: :HALKING:

I am SO GLAD they were able to user that picture. What a great cover to cap the series.

BUMPED up for us. Just bootiful i tell ya! Taken in her home i presume? Those plastic or silk fake flowers are a giveaway, although she could have had some at work too i guess.

BUMPED up for us. Just bootiful i tell ya! Taken in her home i presume? Those plastic or silk fake flowers are a giveaway, although she could have had some at work too i guess.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think these were shot in Lucy's dressingroom at Universal...

Oh yeah, you're right again, i've seen that beautiful Universal dressing room and those WERE there. Her favorite color scheme of YELLOW yet again too!

Beautiful! I love it! :D I'll have to put the "Deep Discount" HL link on my Christmas list so somebody could order it online for me. I HATE how none of the stores have it until like, a year later. >:(

How come the one of Lucy and her 2 kids from shortest to tallest (shown on the March 1974 TV Guide Cover) never made it to the dvd covers?

Do you know if the photos taken of Lucy, Lucie, and Gale from this photoshoot (illustrated below) were done the same day?

tumblr_lcu983oPE01qd76iqo1_500.jpg

Yes, they were... All on May 18, 1972.

By the way, there's one of these in color somewhere -- can someone remind me what it's been used on? I was looking for it last night and could not find it...

Thx

Beautiful! I love it! :D I'll have to put the "Deep Discount" HL link on my Christmas list so somebody could order it online for me. I HATE how none of the stores have it until like, a year later. >:(

How come the one of Lucy and her 2 kids from shortest to tallest (shown on the March 1974 TV Guide Cover) never made it to the dvd covers?

March of 74? Do you mean March of 69? If so, that photo was probably the property of either the original photographer or TV Guide magazine, so they'd have had to get permission to use it...

March of 74? Do you mean March of 69? If so, that photo was probably the property of either the original photographer or TV Guide magazine, so they'd have had to get permission to use it...

No, I swear it said that was on the cover of the March 1974 TV guide. The picture was taken in spring of 69, yes.

Archived