DECEMBER 18: Here's Lucy Season Six (DVD) -- Cover Art!

Robert13

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It first aired December 1, 1975. Lucy was on to promote Three for Two.

which explains the dark wig. I've seen a short clip of this interview, but can't remember where. As part of some other show.

Did I ever mention that the original VHS tape I got of "3 for 2" had a LAUGH TRACK? The explanation I got was that Gary had it inserted for foreign markets. (?!)

It's one of the few VHS tapes of Lucy oddities that I don't have anymore. I think I lent it to someone who never returned it.

As long as you're not expecting TOO much, 3 for 2 is not bad.

Too bad Lucy could not command better scripts for her specials. (Honestly I still think "Gets Lucky" is head and shoulders above the rest and that's written by Bob O'Brien) She inserts what comedy she can into "3" but there's little in the script for her to work with.

Though she tries hard to make us care, the characters are not fully rounded enough that we're actually drawn into their storyline.

I don't know if it's the bad transfer, but the production values aren't exactly stellar. I'm sure they used the best they had, but Gleason looks absolutely PINK.

You gotta give her credit for TRYING something different, even if they were not total successes.

which explains the dark wig. I've seen a short clip of this interview, but can't remember where. As part of some other show.

Did I ever mention that the original VHS tape I got of "3 for 2" had a LAUGH TRACK? The explanation I got was that Gary had it inserted for foreign markets. (?!)

It's one of the few VHS tapes of Lucy oddities that I don't have anymore. I think I lent it to someone who never returned it.

As long as you're not expecting TOO much, 3 for 2 is not bad.

Too bad Lucy could not command better scripts for her specials. (Honestly I still think "Gets Lucky" is head and shoulders above the rest and that's written by Bob O'Brien) She inserts what comedy she can into "3" but there's little in the script for her to work with.

Though she tries hard to make us care, the characters are not fully rounded enough that we're actually drawn into their storyline.

I don't know if it's the bad transfer, but the production values aren't exactly stellar. I'm sure they used the best they had, but Gleason looks absolutely PINK.

You gotta give her credit for TRYING something different, even if they were not total successes.

Yeah, I worked on that "laugh track"... We hoped that it would somehow perk up the show, but no, it just laid there...

Everyone hoped "Three For Two" would give Gleason and Lucy some hip, "All in the Family" type relavant comedy -- but the script(s) just did not work... And it SHOULD have been done in front of an audience. The skits are very simple and could have easily been staged with an audience... Don't know why they decided not to use one... I know Lucy had her hands full getting Gleason to rehearse. She told me once that they had a big argument during rehearsal, and he slammed out of the studio and headed out to LAX to go home to Florida... They sent someone out to the airport to reason with him, and he came back...

Too bad they didn't film THAT. It had more comedic possibilities than the script they used...

Yeah, I worked on that "laugh track"... We hoped that it would somehow perk up the show, but no, it just laid there...

Everyone hoped "Three For Two" would give Gleason and Lucy some hip, "All in the Family" type relavant comedy -- but the script(s) just did not work... And it SHOULD have been done in front of an audience. The skits are very simple and could have easily been staged with an audience... Don't know why they decided not to use one... I know Lucy had her hands full getting Gleason to rehearse. She told me once that they had a big argument during rehearsal, and he slammed out of the studio and headed out to LAX to go home to Florida... They sent someone out to the airport to reason with him, and he came back...

Too bad they didn't film THAT. It had more comedic possibilities than the script they used...

Hit the nail right on the head, it might have been so much better filmed in front of a live audience. Gleason looked terrible there, nice story you told though, funny, Dino hated rehearsing also but he did great with her. Gleason looked like he was phoning it in.

Love Catherine Curtis though. Wish she had done more drama at this point in her career.

Or so many other things, voice for cartoon characters for Disney, still in films but without worries about her looks. On the stage doing Tallulah or anything really great. Subbing for Merv or Mike or Dinah hosting a talk show. Looking for supporting roles in films. It's a shame they never thought of doing comedy films late in her career, LUCY on the big screen. Jerry Lewis was doing it, why not someone really talented like HER? Oh, that's right, lewis claimed women just weren't funny!

• 4 weeks later...

LMAO! This did make me laugh! Yes, I also wonder as to why there was never a Christmas episode! Very slack! :lucyeww:

I think she always remembered how bad the ILL one was so she never wanted to do any more, she ahd done it for The Lucy Show and also knew that in reruns those shows were always a problem playing in the summer or something.

Tennessee Ernie Ford special?

The only one I remember also starred Andy Griffith.

He and Lucy did a sketch about a couple who lived in a small trailer and how they managed a morning.

Another segment had Ernie trying to sing a chorus of 16 Tons but Lucy and Andy kept interrupting him talking about different episodes of their TV series. I think Lucy described she and Viv in the shower.

The TV Guide close up listed a sketch with Lucy as a Carrie Nation character singing "Stay Off the Whiskey". Unless I missed it,this sketch was cut prior to the airing.

I don't remember Lucy doing anything else on the special but there had to have been something.

Not one of Lucy's more memorable guest shots but it's nice to see anything.

That's probably it, circa 1970-72 right? I don't think that special is listed on IMDb or anywhere on the net like quite a few tv specials pre-1980.

I remember Ernie wanting to sing 16 Tons and Lucy pretending never to have heard of such a song and shortly after her snapping her fingers to the music as he sang but not much else. I didn't remember Andy on it but I do recall somebody else was in that skit with Lucy and Ernie. I'm glad it's on this set as I'd love for EVERY Lucy tv appearance to surface on dvd.

Obviously. Sorta like when we tape things of Lucy's, i have some tapes with just HER part of the Kennedy Center Honors, HER part of the TV Hall of Fame etc . . .LOL! :lucythrill:

I think everybody did that back then for favorite stars. Tape wasn't that cheap in the 80s, $5 or 6 each unlike in the 90's when you could get them for under two bucks. One of my big regrets in collecting is not taping MORE stuff in the 80s particularly talk shows, specials, music that will never again show on tv.

I think everybody did that back then for favorite stars. Tape wasn't that cheap in the 80s, $5 or 6 each unlike in the 90's when you could get them for under two bucks. One of my big regrets in collecting is not taping MORE stuff in the 80s particularly talk shows, specials, music that will never again show on tv.

Yeah, she did loads of talk shows during the day but most of us were working and i never did get the hang of having it record when i was away, LOL!

Archived