The Post-Journal

FINALLY . . . The Post-Journal has a write-up in today's (9/20/12) paper, NOT FRONT PAGE - 2 sections back - Region Section - announcing, in a small article, the wonderful news of our (“I Love Lucy”) recent Award!!!!

I tell you, I am so incensed, I could scream.

I wish 'someone' on this Lounge would complain LOUDLY, in letter(S) to the editor why this should be front-page news for the area for all future p.r. involving the Center. BROCK???? You are one of the 'reporters' among us; from another country - in fact, a 'mess' of letters to the editor from other countries would be ENTIRELY WUNNERFUL WUNNERFUL, WUNNERFUL....

And wouldn't you think the Center, itself, would have insisted....

You would think the CENTER would yell this from the top of their P.R. Lungs!!!!!!

No by-line; just a several paragraph article, with a quote by the current exec. dir.: 'Lucy revolutionized TV as we know it'... (duhhh)

The Center has only itself to blame for not pursuing a BIG SPLASH across the front page TWO DAYS' AGO.... (paper goes 'to bed' middle of the night, midnight, I think; certainly, time to 'stop the presses' for the good news.....

Respectfully submitted,

Joyce Kellogg

• Like 4

As i've said many times before, the center would greatly benefit by having R E A L fans working for them, you know, people who would actually promote it and the person they honor there. And the newspaper too, the person they are slighting is the one who put their sorry little hollow on the map in the first place.

As i've said many times before, the center would greatly benefit by having R E A L fans working for them, you know, people who would actually promote it and the person they honor there. And the newspaper too, the person they are slighting is the one who put their sorry little hollow on the map in the first place.

Yes...but one could argue that a "real fan" ran the place -- with the blessing of his dear friend and mentor, yet -- and look what happened with that! Oy! :lucyshock:
  • Like 1

Yes...but one could argue that a "real fan" ran the place -- with the blessing of his dear friend and mentor, yet -- and look what happened with that! Oy! :lucyshock:

I'm not sure if I ever heard a story that he had MET Lucille; but, he lived with Lucie Arnaz' family while writing his first book; that's the story I heard; and that was after Stone Pillow, 1985, when he finished college.

Jury's STILL OUT on whether or not he, in his ambition, was promoting Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, or himself; lest not forget that... In promotion and p.r., he was the BEST... so far...

Additionally, he 'handled' EVERY PIECE of archive 'gifts for display purposes' that came into the Museum, before September, 2008.

FORGOT TO ADD HE WAS A COLLECTOR FOR MANY YEARS, AFTER COLLEGE; SOME OF THOSE DONATED ARTIFACTS MIGHT HAVE BEEN MORE THAN HE COULD RESIST...

Today's Post Journal has an interesting, although very discouraging, article on the financial situations of most of Jamestown's most notable institutions:

http://post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/610550/-truggle-For--uccess.html?nav=5192

Let's keep the jury out until the results of the 2011 and 2012 IRS 990's are revealed. You must see that, in all the articles printed today (added for your perusal what I've added to the chronology); at least those parts which involve the Center for Comedy WITH APPLICABLE QUOTES... I think we shall have a more clear 'picture' about the situation. If it's worse, oh, well.... here it is, remember 2010 records... jk

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Struggle for Success - Nonprofits Suffer Annual Deficits, by Liz Skoczylas - “Many of the area's non-profits run at a deficit each year. For organizations that rely on outside funding in order to run, with the economy the way it is, money can be tight, which in turn can affect their value to the community. Based on most-recent available figures from IRS forms 990 - the 2010 figures - the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center's deficit came in at $59,060. [ed. note: Robert H. Jackson Center deficit $135,776; Lucille Ball Little Theater, -$44,333; Audubon Society, -$89,158; Fenton History Center, -$24,500; Reg Lenna Civic Center -$204,912]. When the economy tanked in 2008, some of the city's non-profit attracting agents took a hit in more ways than one; i.e., decrease in contributions and grants, and to offset decreases, non-profits have worked around the lack of funding by combining resources to work together for events. According to Journey Gunderson, of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center for Comedy, the economic impact brought in by the center is enormous. 'That money from outside Chautauqua County very directly impacts the bottom lines of numerous for-profits in the county and allows them to pass the income or revenue onto residents of the county in the form of salaries and wages as well'. A non-profit organization adds value to a community in a way that cannot be measured by cash flow. These groups rely on grants, donations, and other forms of public support in order to remain open. Often, they end their year with a deficit. However, the value these attractors add to the area come in the form of education. They promote tourism into the area, which, in turn, brings people into other area businesses, benefiting restaurants, hotels and other for-profit businesses,” published this date in 2012.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown NY, Area/State News - City Organizations work Together For Betterment of Community, by Liz Skoczylas - “Attractors are working together more than ever before to ensure their missions are being met and to secure their place in the community. According to Journey Gunderson, of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center for Comedy, she 'traveled recently to Chicago to unveil a new exhibit at the Museum of Broadcast Communications. We're so fortunate to have essentially the Lucy-Desi Museum and Desilu Studios at the moment when the nation has voted it the Best Television Show of All-Time. Our goals are to continue the growth we've seen in the last couple of years, both in terms of visitors from outside the County and offering quality arts and culture programming for visitors within the County.'” published this date in 2012.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown NY, by Cindy Aronson, resident, Bemus Point NY - 'I Love Lucy' Makes Ball's Hometown Proud -“Congratulations to ('I Love Lucy') for being named No. 1 Television Show of All Time. In the past six decades, television has debuted many outstanding shows; yet, based on the results of the ABC and People Magazine poll, announced by Barbara Walters Tuesday night, ('I Love Lucy') is still the favorite in the hearts of viewers everywhere, based on one million-plus on-line voters. Congratulations, Lucille Ball. Your hometown is proud of you!” published this date in 2012.

• 4 months later...

Didn't get to this one yesterday; should have; but, no time:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Live, Laugh & Run - Lucy Town Half-Marathon and 5K Scheduled for Columbus Day Weekend - “The Jamestown Savings Bank Arena, Chautauqua Striders, and The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy, three local not-for-profit organizations, are partnering to present the inaugural Lucy Town Half-Marathon and 5K. Runners of all abilities will come to the Jamestown area on Columbus Day weekend, October 12, 13, for a weekend of events, including a 5-kilometer run, a sports expo, and a 'Night of Comedy'. The festivities will culminate with a 13.1-mile run, October 13. The goal of the weekend is to promote a healthy lifestyle and promotion of the area of Jamestown. The USATF-certified course, begins and ends in Jamestown, running through the neighboring villages of Lakewood and Celoron, travelling near the childhood neighborhood home of Lucille Ball, as well as the Lucille Ball Memorial Park, Universal Healthcare the title sponsor for the weekend's events.” published this date in 2013.

A THIRD EVENT for the new year, promoted by the Center; there are MANY running events around and along the Lake during each year; this one through downtown Jamestown, and Celoron; let's pray this helps in the way of promotion.

• 2 months later...

AS A REMINDER OF P.R. ADVANCE ON THIS EVENT:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Live, Laugh & Run - Lucy Town Half-Marathon and 5K Scheduled for Columbus Day Weekend - “The Jamestown Savings Bank Arena, Chautauqua Striders, and The Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy, three local not-for-profit organizations, are partnering to present the inaugural Lucy Town Half-Marathon and 5K. Runners of all abilities will come to the Jamestown area on Columbus Day weekend, October 12, 13, for a weekend of events, including a 5-kilometer run, a sports expo, and a 'Night of Comedy'. The festivities will culminate with a 13.1-mile run, October 13. The goal of the weekend is to promote a healthy lifestyle and promotion of the area of Jamestown. The USATF-certified course, begins and ends in Jamestown, running through the neighboring villages of Lakewood and Celoron, travelling near the childhood neighborhood home of Lucille Ball, as well as the Lucille Ball Memorial Park, Universal Healthcare the title sponsor for the weekend's events.”

Post-Journal THIS DATE - 4/24/13:

Not Short on Laughs - Martin Short to Perform for Lucy Town Half-Marathon and 5K - "Comedian, Martin Short, will be the featured performer for the Lucy Town Half-Marathon and 5K weekend. Chautauqua Striders, the Jamestown Savings Bank Arena and the Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy announced Tuesday the comedian will take the Reg Lenna Civic Center stage October 12 for a 7:30 p.m. performance. Short is widely known for his work in comedy . . ." published this date in 2013.

• 3 months later...

The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum opens its Gift Shop, corner Third & Pine Streets, Jamestown NY, [see 8/6/2013], this date, 4/10, in 2002.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Arts Council, Reg Lenna Boards Approve Merger - “After decades of close collaboration and support, the Arts Council of Chautauqua County and the Reg Lenna Civic Center will merge into one organization. The boards of both non-profits have voted on and approved the merger with the expectation that it will be finalized by late summer. The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, was, until 2002, part of the Arts Council of Chautauqua County,”[see 4/10/2002, 8/9/2013], published this date, 8/6, in 2013.

There were questions surrounding the 'opening ceremonies' for the Festival this year, which, for the past several years, have occurred on Tracy Plaza, City Hall, Jamestown.

Today's (8/11) Post-Journal: Tracy Plaza Construction Progressing, by Ryan Atkins - "After approving more than $1 million in renovations to Tracy Plaza, construction is moving along quickly on the parapet wall project. 'The Plaza will have a new open look and feel to it,' says Mayor Sam Teresi. 'This is something people have been talking about and asking for. It will create better visibility and eliminate the walling effect the Plaza has had since it opened.' In 2010, following an earthquake, an ongoing concern with the parpet wall and plaza, and its deterioration of caulking around tiles resulting from the 'quake, prompted the DPW to monitor seepage from rainwater, which has affected offices in the lower level of the building . There will be a concrete cap where the parapet wall is currently, and stainless steel railing in place when the project, which is right on schedule, is complete by October," published this date in 2013.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Letters to the Editor: Please Give The Lucy Center Team A Round of Applause - To The Readers' Forum: “Many thanks to everyone who attended the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, including 57 percent from in-state; 43 percent from out-of-state; and five countries represented. It's a pleasure to receive positive feedback from the community, with some points of ways to improve, as always. While any constructive feedback should come my way, the congratulations and kudos really need to be directed to the incredible Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy team behind the scenes, the team not identified on stage. Join me in congratulating and thanking them for their hard work and service to this community; Board of Directors (year-round): Cindy Aronson, Tom Benson, Michael Calimeri, Lou Deppas, Mike LaTone, George Panebianco and Bill Stevenson. (Research: Staff is named: (year-round employees and tour guides; some folks called 'key-event players'; 2013 interns; as well as long-term volunteers); This is the Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy team. Please give them a round of applause. Sponsors (listed); Hope to see everyone August 6-10, 2014. Journey Gunderson, Executive Director,” published this date in 2013.

To anyone interested, I shall list all sponsors not named above, many NOT long-termers, as far as I can remember; as well as employees, who ARE named in Journey's letter. I personally recognized two folks still among the employees, each of whom were volunteers when I left in 2007; two of the long-term volunteers still present since 2002, when I started; recognized NO names from intern list; from the ever-changing Board of Directors since 2007, there remain 2 names, of 7 listed. I'll be glad to reproduce for those of you who might be interested in seeking out familiar names. JK

I'd love the breakdown of which countries were well-represented. There was the U.S. and Canada, of course, but one person staying at the Best Western was visiting from some place very out-of-the-way and it is driving me CRAZY to remember which country it was. Somewhere in Asia-minor. I want to say Lebanon, but I don't think that was it.

I'm re-printing, from August 10, 2013, entries regarding Arts Council & the Reg; and a Question of the Day published for the 10th I needed additional numbers, other than the percentages given, and received them today from the P-J editor:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Question of the Day - Will the Arts Council and Reg Lenna merger help to promote arts in the community? Yes - 65%, or 164 votes; No - 35%, or 87 votes - No readers' comments are included, published this date, 8/10, in 2013.

Regarding the MERGER, here's what the Post-Journal has published just prior to the above P-J Question of the Day - recently:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY – Arts Council, Reg Lenna Boards Approve Merger - “After decades of close collaboration and support, the Arts Council of Chautauqua County and the Reg Lenna Civic Center will merge into one organization. The boards of both non-profits have voted on and approved the merger with the expectation that it will be finalized by late summer. The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, was, until 2002, part of the Arts Council of Chautauqua County,” published this date, 8/6, in 2013.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – 'An Exciting Time' - Combined Reg Lenna Arts Center Looks To Enrich Community, by Dusten Rader - “ The Arts Council of Chautauqua County, having a 30-year non-profit entity history, and the Reg Lenna Civic Center, as well as the local arts community are excited, according to Nate Arnone, Arts Council of Chautauqua County board president. The newly-merged organization will be the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts. The Reg Lenna Civic Center has a 90-year history of delivering perorming arts, cinema and productions from community organizations, and will continue to expand these traditions with the merger. Both organizations have been without an executive director for five years and the first order of business, therefore, will be to choose such to oversee the newly-merged entities, now known as Reg Lenna Center for the Arts. The Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, was, until 2002, part of the Arts Council of Chautauqua County,” published this date, 8/9, in 2013.

Other pertinent information regarding these two major Jametown/Chautauqua County entities, can be found in my May 15, 1996 entries. ENJOY!

Having Lucy fans run the Center would be fine, as long as they know how to run an organization (specifically, college degrees in business admin or something like that) and the fans are there for the betterment of the Center, not their own personal goals and/or collections.

Having Lucy fans run the Center would be fine, as long as they know how to run an organization (specifically, college degrees in business admin or something like that) and the fans are there for the betterment of the Center, not their own personal goals and/or collections.

'BOUT TIME you got in the fray!!!! Loving you, JK

Added to the chronology today:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Editorial - Merger Boosts Local Arts Scene - “The Jamestown area has many fantastic art venues, with the Reg Lenna Civic Center standing front and center. A vibrant arts scene . . . is about filling those venues with artists by attracting performers from out of the area and providing a space to nurture the county's homegrown talent. The recent merger of the Reg Lenna Civic Center and the Arts Council for Chautauqua County into the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts should do just that. Each has been without executive director for more than five years. The all-volunteer boards of the organizations coming together . . . should have the resources to bring in an executive director to strength programs and more clout when it comes to finding outside grants. Creation of the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts will build on decades of hard work and further strengthen the arts in Chautauqua County,” published for this date in 2013.

Interesting article in today's Post-Journal:

Greg Edwards, our Chautauqua County Executive, two terms, I believe, who decided awhile back not to run for re-election - today, P-J informed us he will be the CEO of the Gebbie Foundation, in place of current CEO, by the name of John Merino, who resigned this week. NOW, read the P-J article from yesterday CAREFULLY: THEN, I have a gossipy comment from that time.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Front Page Headline - At The Head Of It All - Gebbie Foundation CEO Looks Back On a Decade Of Revitalization, by Ryan Atkins - “After nearly a decade at the helm of one of the largest foundations in Jamestown, John Merino will be leaving the Gebbie Foundation this week. 'Sometimes you need to shake things up a little bit in order to get fresh ideas and a new perspective'. Merino, hired in 2003 as CEO, has overseen more than 120 projects that the foundation has taken part in, totalling more than $85 million in reinvestment in downtown Jamestown. 'I've been here almost 10 years. I think that's about the most that any organization ought to look for out of its primary leadership position, but it's also the most, I think, that an individual ought to look for out of an organization. That's especially true for non-profits with volunteer boards. Everybody gets settled in their ways and sometimes you need to shake things up a bit in order to get fresh ideas and a new perspective.'[Research: Merino (and Gebbie) was a heavy $$ supporter of the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Museum, reportedly, loudly disagreed with the 'great fire'], published this date in 2013.

Here it comes: Allegedly, he was 'seeing' the former Mayor of Jamestown, a woman, who was a 'good friend' of half the great fire TEAM....

• 4 months later...

November 26, 2013 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Family Section - Making a Comeback - Ray Evans Seneca Theater Seeks New Life in Salamanca - by Chris Chapman - "A building, originally having its grand opening, 8/27/1942, standing on Broad & Main Streets, Salamanca (30 miles east of Jamestown), via a 30-year project of love and restoration efforts has succeeded in giving 'home' to a performing arts stage through constant renovation as the Ray Evans Seneca Theater, so named for Lucille Ball friend, Salamanca native, Ray Evans, with partner, Jay Livingston, writers of 'Silver Bells' and many other Academy Award songs," published this date in 2013.

December 3, 2013   - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Never Seen Before - Lucy Desi Exhibit to Showcase Relics At WCA Grand Opening - 'This one-of-a-kind exhibition commemorates Lucille Ball's lifetime heritage of bringing joy and laughter to those she touched throughout her life,' Journey Gunderson, Executive Director.  Museum pieces to be shown at The Healing Power of Love and Laughter Lucy-Desi Exhibit at the WCA ENT [ear, nose, throat specialty center] grand opening; a Circus of Stars costume donated personally to WCA Hospital by Lucille; an outfit worn by Lucille at the Emmys; and a rare photograph and original outfit worn by Lucille during a visit to children's hospital, Beverly Hills, CA," published this date in 2013.

December 4, 2013   - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - More Than 700 'Like' Lucy for #GivingTuesday - The Chautauqua Region Community Foundation celebrated #GivingTuesday, a national movement to encourage giving during the holiday season, by announcing the Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy as the winner ($5,000) of a  Facebook contest, users having the opportunity to 'like' a photo representing one of six local non-profit organizations.  Monies will be deposited in the Center's endowment fund," published for this date in 2013. 

December 12, 2013 - The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - by Dennis Phillips - Early Christmas Present - WNY Receives $60.8M From Economic Development Council Grant Program - “Among 'other' monies received locally, the Village of Celoron will receive $83,845 for improvements to Lucille Ball Memorial P ark; The Greater Jamestown Riverwalk Trail will receive $499,955; and The Reg Lenna Civic Center will receive $75,000 for a digital projection project,” published this date in 2013.

• 3 weeks later...

Brock:  Thanks for posting; having serious war with Microsoft tekkies, who have seriously impacted my machine in several attempts at whatever they were trying to do that failed. 

My word processing has also been seriously slowed down; so, my attempts at typing e-mails has slowed to a crawl.

Lisciandro's will re-open the 18th according to the P-J; but, modifications to the Pub will take much longer, a were more heavily impacted by the fire, which is determined to be electrical (at the entrance) in nature.  Strong feeling they WILL re-open by the Festival times.

• Like 1

I love this kind of creativity and fun going down at the museum:

http://post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/633901/Set-For-Life.html?nav=5192

Man, that DOES look pretty cool! Dare I say it looks a lot better ie. better, brighter color and somehow more "life-like" than it looked on TV, both broadcast and DVD versions, IMHO.  Wow.... wonder how they did it???  :lucywow:

Thanks for the heads up! :D

• Like 1