The Post-Journal

You're movin' on up!

Just 3rd floor [L-shaped building; about 180 apartments on 3 floors; overlooking local cemetery and golf course (Hunt Road); but, ALL BRAND NEW 55+ community!! Build started 2014.  Just opened March 2016; 65% filled to date; Security; homey; friendly; activity-oriented; monthly tureen-dinner with any interested and guests [ dining area, with kitchen, available for private parties]; crafts; community household sale in one of the garages upcoming; work out room; lovely library; rest areas; game room; in-house (daily) maintenance; central air in apartments [a first for me!]; heat/water paid with rent; what a lovely way to wait for death! :D  [after I get back to, and finish my chronology, though!; hopefully....]

Love, JK :fabrary:

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Comedy Center Listed As WNY Priority Project, by Dennis Phillips, "For 3rd year, the NCC has been listed as a priority project for Western New York.  The WNY Regional Economic Development Council released its Empire State Development funding priority list, including in $1.5 million gap funding for the NCCCenter entrance, foundation constructed last fall; entrance building and walkway connecting BPU and Gateway Train Station building(s) will finish in mid-November; fund raising continues; only using funds available currently;" published, 2016.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Editorial Page, Thumbs UP, DOWN column, "Thumbs UP to ongoing efforts to improve Celoron's Lucille Ball Memorial Park with addition of a new hotel to lakefront area homage to a time when Celoron was a bustling tourist attraction much like Coney Island, Atlantic City, NJ [turn last century]; Village accepting donations to dedicated fund raising money for park seawall; construction of kayak-canoe launch; boardwalk and new amenities building within the Park; project making Celoron more tourist friendly; adding nice public amenity for those living here year round;" published, 2016.

Looked for a thread for the chronology; can't find; but, in my new 'digs', I've met YET ANOTHER Lucille Ball 'information' expert, along this VERY long 12-year journey!!!

Yesterday, on my way to bring another load to the annual (this is the first) household sale, met one of the 'ladies' in the common room who 'heard' I'm writing a chronology:

'WHERE DO YOU HAVE HER AS BEING BORN?"  (I REPLIED) - as I'm replying, SHE'S VEHEMENTLY SHAKING HER HEAD:

"MY GRANDFATHER IS FROM CHARLOTTE CENTER; AND TOLD ME SHE WAS BORN RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO HIM."

[walking away, I stated:  'we have to talk further...."]

Yeah, that's why I was puzzled. Thought there was some official documentation but I could still see that as maybe the residence they were living and just used that.

Not like you couldn't lie back then. Look at both her marriage licenses. Can't do that now. We actually had to prove our real ages.

The registered birthplaces of people of this era are always fascinating. The Queen Mother, for instance, claimed for the first 70-odd years of her life that she was born at her parents' country house, where her birth was registered. Later on, it was revealed she was born in London but the circumstances of her being born there were vehemently taken to the grave. It's speculated the reason for the secrecy was she was born in the back of a horse drawn ambulance which, apparently, came with a stigma, but who knows.

If Lucy wasn't born on Stewart, what reason could there have been to muddle with facts? Being born on a farm in that area and that era seems perfectly respectable. Not as exotic as Montana, but respectable. Haha

• Like 1

I've heard that the birth location was either the well known house on Stewart, or that it might have been on a family farm.

WOW!  Thanks, luv; that kinda says it; since there IS MENTION somewhere about Charlotte Center as a family/relative  homestead; perhaps, they did Stewart Ave. for p.r. purposes of a City-born, at the very least...... 

ANYONE ELSE?

I will be talking to this woman; at length; mostly, because I'm interested; and seeing what I can 'cull out' of the conversation.

Finding out her grandfather's info; name, date of birth; how long he lived there, etc.; and the family name who lived next door to him; Hope she knows;  Otherwise, to the Fenton I go for further research; and I don't have the time; but, will take it.

Thanks, again; you are the best!  Loving you, JK :fabrary: 

What's this family farm angle?

Brock:  I KNOW I've read that relatives, (of whom there are many Balls and Hunts around) lived somewhere ELSE in Chautauqua County; so, entirely possible it's Charlotte Center (north county, near Fredonia - 29 miles from Jamestown); I am on the trail of the 'poop'; I'll be in touch; meanwhile, I KNOW you will read my reply to luvs....  Loving you, JK :fabrary:   STAY TUNED.............

Joyce (since you're the lukel), isn't there a public library or Hall of Records that would have this information? If not in Jamestown proper but somewhere in the County? I would imagine it's available to the public if one wanted to "dig" for it bad enough! :blink:

Well, Prendergast Library, Jamestown, has all CITY (Jamestown) directories; not sure how far back they go in print; but Fenton Historical certainly has the ability; perhaps written records of County residents. 

As I told Brock, I'm on the case; guess I will have to be 'on the trail' of the long-ago descendants; both Ball and Hunt OTHER THAN WHAT HAS already been authored.   I know there are Orcutts; let's see who else pops up!!!!  JK :fabrary:  

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Carrier, Adams Are Top Finishers at 4th Annual Race, by Scott Kindberg, "Runners from 26 states and 5 foreign countries toed the start line Sunday morning, beginning and ending, downtown Jamestown," published, 2016. [Our own Desilutoofan, Gregg McCullough, walked for the 4th time in the race, as did parents, Marsha and Gregg, Sr., in a mini-walk, followed by lunch at Taco Hut, with leenorman, 12:30; the McC's attended the evening Willow Bay comedy program, as well; no report yet; since it takes them 8 hours to get back to home and jobs, leaving 11 a.m. Sunday; report to follow].... 

Don't know. Bill mentioned it to me in passing but didn't get much into it. Seems it's like one of those depends on who you ask things, so no confirmation. I know there was a family farm as isn't that where Lucy learned to ride horses.

Meant to get back to you, Luvs, WHO is BILL?  Thanks for taking the time to reply.  JK  :fabrary: 

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, GoFundMe Established to Appeal Sheldon House Variance, by Dennis Phillips, "Account set up to help support Lakeview Avenue residents opposing corporate presence at Sheldon House [sH]State Supreme Court​, in August, dismissed petition filed opposing use variance granted by City Zoning Board of Appeals to allow Lynn Development to establish office space at SH. JCC Board/Trustees [owner/building] entered into purchase agreement, January, with Lynn; City approved variance of office space in residential zone; Lakeview 'close' neighbors opposed variance in May; now have filed with NYS Court of Appeals, (final legal stronghold) to reverse Zoning Board granting variance;" published, 2016.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, IDA Approves Incentives, Harbor Hotel, by Jimmy McCarthy, “Plans to construct 4-story hotel along Chautauqua Lake, less than 100 feet from Lake shoreline - old Celoron Park, [now Lucille Ball Memorial Park] west, ballfield property; on fast track; with few steps awaiting breaking ground. With zoning approval, $30 million project intends to break ground November, anticipated opening spring, 2018;” published, 2016.

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY, IDA Board Approves Al Tech Loan For City Brewery, by Jimmy McCarthy, “Officials supporting full-service manufacturing craft, farm brewery, Jamestown Brewery, in Renaissance Center, W. 3rd St., with $300 thousand loan for renovations to building, a total $5.2 million project;” published, 2016.