The Post-Journal

PLEASE IGNORE WHAT APPEARS ABOVE; ONLY WAY I CAN POST ANYMORE; IS QUOTE SOMEONE; THEN, ERASE THAT POST; AND CONTINUE WITH NEW ONE - THEN, HAVE TO GO IN TO 'REPLY OPTIONS' COPY IT IN THERE; AND THEN, POST;  ouch!!!!  JK :fabrary:

Just yesterday ran across the following:  [long ago, we were talking about telephone conversations; and I had remembered 'something' from long ago regarding Lucy and long distance....]  Here it is; LONG DISTANCE AND DIRECT DIALING:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Reached as City Phones ‘Cut Over,’ Lucy Asks for Swedish Rye Bread in DDD Call, by Jenny Vimmerstedt, Post-Journal Staff Writer, “Lucille Ball sends love to all friends here; next breath, asks about chances to get some good Swedish rye bread. Speaking from Warner Bros. Studio, Hollywood, our 1st direct distance dialing celebrating ‘cut over’ today; in answer to her telephone call, Memorial Day, when we were away: guests, Marion Strong VanVlack and L. Pauline Lopus, long-time friends from home, took only 30 seconds after dialing 13-digit number, reach Warner Bros. Studio; connected with ‘set’ where Lucille, rehearsing for Critics Choice, with Bob Hope. Lucille still thinks of coming to Chautauqua Lake and bringing husband, and her children, she's always wanted to show her home town;” published, 1962.

The Post-Journal, Information Center, In Years Past, 50 years ago, “Lucille Ball sent love to all friends in area. In the next breath, she asked about chances to get some good Swedish Rye Bread. Post-Journal staff spoke to Miss Ball, Warner Brothers' Studio, Hollywood. It was newspaper's first direct distance dialing, celebrating the 'cut over' this day; in answer to her telephone call to newsroom, Memorial Day, when staff was away. The Post-Journal guests: Mrs. Norman Van Vlack, Miss Pauline Lopus, 30 seconds after dialing 13-digits, reaching Warner Brothers' Studio;” published, 2012.

Very cool. I think I remember from one of my trips a bakery across from the original museum was her go to place for the rye bread. Something makes me think it closed a few years back. Any info on this?

It closed for a year or so, but then re-opened in another location a bit closer to the new Museum buildings.

That limpa rye bread has the most unusual flavour....

Very cool. I think I remember from one of my trips a bakery across from the original museum was her go to place for the rye bread. Something makes me think it closed a few years back. Any info on this?

Will do some checking; but, I believe they are totally out of business now; where old Museum, downstairs, 210 Pine restaurant in business about 100 years, has been replaced, finally, with GIALY's, I think it's spelling; combination of owner's two daughters names; I hear through the grapevine of friends who have been there, GREAT!  A new place for Lucy fans to CHECK when here.  Back to JONES..... I'll get back to ya!!!!  JK :fabrary:

Jones Bakery, which was across the street from the original museum on Pine St., moved into the museum building for a while before moving to Main St. and is now Jones Valhalla Restaurant. Gialy's is a new restaurant that is in the building next door to the original museum building on Pine (in the building that used to be The Town Club) and their food is very good.

November 15,   2015  Sunday paper:             [see posting note on bottom of this post...]

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, The Future of Jamestown, Global Planning Firm To Share Strategic Development Ideas for Downtown Area, by Dennis Phillips, "With a series of successful development projects, anchored by National Comedy Center, what will Jamestown look like 10 years in future? The Gebbie Foundation has hired AECOM Technical Services, Inc., to develop a blueprint for Jamestown's future. Starting with a strategic development plan before the Center is built, local officials can plan out one successful development project after another for next 10 years," published, 2015.

WHAT APPEARS NEXT IS TROUBLESOME FOR ME; BUT, PUTTING IT 'OUT THERE' FOR THOSE OF US WHO MAY BE INTERESTED....

The Sunday Post-Journal, Region, Toying Around, Show Brings Train Enthusiasts Downtown, by Katrina Fuller, “Jamestown Gateway Train Station and its annual Train Collectors Association Upstate NY Chapter Toy Train Show, [partial article, only as it relates to National Comedy Center] “Many visitors, vendors are concerned about future of this event and historic station itself. ' but, now they want to take away 2/3 of it for the National Comedy Center. Train enthusiasts are against that; and are putting out an on-line petition regarding the issue on its website: wwwdotupstate/ny/tcadotcom; paper petition on hand at event garnered 5+ pages of signatures;" published, 2015.

Only way I could post this was to quote Dubarry; so, just kindly ignore the top 'flag'.... JK :fabrary:

• 2 weeks later...

XXXX  see above - gremlins made me do it​

November 29, 2015 - Post-Journal Comedy Center, Celoron [archive] articles:

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Tourism Key To Revitalizing Downtown Economic Development, by Dennis Phillips, “There is opportunity for downtown Jamestown to revitalize with $23+ million arriving each year via tourism. They've laid out a plan for short, medium, and long-term goals [short-term: brewery project, indoor/outdoor space; additional 1, 2 restaurants; specialty food outlets; food hall; retention of existing downtown office tenants; continuation of NCC; continuation 3rd St. landscaping and arena site; traffic calming, N-S streets; one additional mixed-use housing project; riverfront area completion, with NCC programming; medium: antique mart in Furniture Mart; small grocery store; additional retail; mixed use office project; additional housing; continuation riverfront; possible hotel; tours; kayaking trips; etc.; long: boutique movie theater; student housing; boutique hotel/riverfront resort hotel; excursion train to Buffalo; nature/birdthemed attraction; development south side/river] within next ten years' anticipated growth; much as has been accomplished since the Urban Design Study, 2006;” published, 2015.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Rolling Out Plans, Confidence, Collaboration, Controlling Expectations Key to Bringing Strategic Plan to Life, by Dennis Phillips, “Viking Social Club, 318 Washington St., [note: immediately across 4th St., north on Washington, just up from proposed NCC], empty for several years, one building highlighted for redevelopment in AECOM Technical Services, Inc., [hired by Gebbie Foundation to develop blueprint for Jamestown's future] strategic plan. 'This opportunity (with the National Comedy Center) is a chance for someone to visit, creating potential for them having an interest in starting business downtown or possibly move here to invest in area. We're trying to create a detination that could bring outside creative, visionary people here,' Vince DeJoy, Jamestown City Development Director;” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Information Center, In Years Past, 25 Years Ago, “1990, $70 thousand state matching grant awarded to Village of Celoron to refurbish Lucille Ball Memorial Park likely not to be affected by recent contract freezes announced by Governor Cuomo, easing state's $1 billion budget deficit. Richard Slagle, mayor and co-chair, Celoron Parks Commission, said residents have asked; and 'we haven't received the $ yet, even though grant awarded in April;” published, 2015.

I didn't know the Viking Club building was vacant. It seems like one of the better maintained downtown buildings.

All this talk of a new hotel -- boutique or otherwise -- is funny. Their top priority should be getting the old Holiday Inn/Ramada/Comfort Inn/Whatever back in working order.

• Like 1

I didn't know the Viking Club building was vacant. It seems like one of the better maintained downtown buildings.

All this talk of a new hotel -- boutique or otherwise -- is funny. Their top priority should be getting the old Holiday Inn/Ramada/Comfort Inn/Whatever back in working order.

I believe that was something in the long-term goal by these professional (MEANING:  paid to do a job) people have in their dreams; If they're going to bring in 13000 year-round, gonna need many more rooms.  Can't, for the life of me, figure out WHY Holiday Inn won't be open....SOON!  It's been in so many 'other' hands over the years, it's difficult to believe it EVER will.  Must need major renovation and $$ to do so.  Could be politics, as well; who the heck knows.

Viking building is beautiful; was damaged by vandals (and I believe they were an out-of-town sports team of some sort - can't remember right now) - who broke in there and did much damage in the thousands; it was vacant at the time; too much $$ to operate when they already were maintaining the lodge on the Lake to maintain.  Downtown, didn't support a close enough parking for them, either; but, don't think it was a major consideration; or it may have been that the ramp was in some stage of repair/closed/or whatever.

Loving you, JK :fabrary:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Family, #Giving Tuesday, CRCF Celebrates With Facebook Contest, “In honor of #Giving Tuesday, global day of giving, sharing through social media, Chautauqua Region Community Foundation (CRCF), hosts Facebook contest awarding one community betterment project $5 thousand; this year, 5 participating organizations have projects: of our concern: Chadakoin Park Playground Rebuild Project; and Trolley 93 Restoration: [likes: to 5 p.m. 12/8, will be awarded the $]; published, 2015.

[Facebook Folks:  Please add your 'LIKES' prior to 5 p.m. 12/8, to vote for improvements to either project, ultimately part and parcel of the Comedy Center (i.e. McCrea Point Park Playground, 8th & Fairmount) ​and Trolley project, lower level Comedy Center; refurbishing the original and only remaining Jamestown trolley in existence, a once-thriving mode of transportation, early 20th century/Jamestown, Chautauqua County area)...

Thanks for your LIKES on Facebook page:   crcfonline.org

:fabrary:

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Making Progress, State Awards NCC More Than $2M, by Dennis Phillips, “The National Comedy Center has, once again, been awarded state funding in the millions. The more than $2 million follows the $1.5 million in 2014. Three grants were received: $1 million for general construction; $500 thousand for public plaza; and $525 thousand as part of Market NY's I Love New York campaign. The Jamestown Renaissance Corporation also received $500 thousand in funding to redevelop the Lillian V. Ney Renaissance Center, located corner 3rd and Washington for a microbrewery and restaurant complex; with The Reg Lenna Center for the Arts receiving $24,700 to outfit its current marquee with LED panels drawing more attention to theater and its events,” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Editorial, If The National Comedy Center draws anywhere near the predicted 114,000 annual visitors, Jamestown and beyond will see significant benefits. The global planning from AECOM Technical Services, Inc., a Gebbie Foundation hiree, predicts 92,000 comedy center annual visitors will travel to Jamestown from outside Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany counties. The strategic plan sets its sights on 2nd & 3rd Streets, between NCC and the Reg, redeveloping buldings, a microbrewery on 3rd, excursion train traffic returning to the city and a more travel-friendly downtown,” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal:

IDA Working Closely With Hotel Developers - Celoron Hotel Could Begin In 2017, by Jimmy McCarthy, "Throughout 2015, the Chautauqua County Industrial Development Agency (IDA) worked closely with groups interesting in pursuing hotel- and tourism-related businesses.  A hotel project on 9 acres, waterfront property in Celoron (between Dunham and Ellicott Shores Apartment complex, on Lakeshore) has been partnered by two developers for possible construction in 2017, after The Chautauqua Harbor Destination Hotel ( for Celoron project) gained momentum Thursday as NYS Regional Economic Development Council awarded the project $1.9 million as incentive for the $24 million resort hotel.  Additionally, the IDA is working closely with completion of a financial package to re-develop the former Ramada Jamestown Hotel, vacant several years; former Holiday Inn, 4th & 5th @ Washington Sts., a definite complement to Jamestown's planned National Comedy Center; both 'different' Hotel Groups from Buffalo area," published, 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

December 30, 2015:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question Of The Day, “Have you ever taken a tour of the Lucy-Desi Museum and Center for Comedy?” published, 2015.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, To-Do List, Area Entertainment Outlook For 2016 Taking Shape, by Gavin Paterniti, Several area performance venues still in process of filling entertainment schedules for 2016; but handful of events have been lined up. Lucy-Desi: Center's Festival of Comedy and Lucy Town Half Marathon, 5K respectively set for 8/4-7/16, 10/8,9/16; Valentine's Day dinner show tentatively set for 2/20; subject to change; no currently scheduled National Comedy Center events while under construction; lucy-desidotcom actively informs on current stats;” published, 2015.

December 30, 2015:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Question Of The Day, “Have you ever taken a tour of the Lucy-Desi Museum and Center for Comedy?” published, 2015.

December 31, 2015 [after three TELEPHONE MESSAGE attempts last time a museum question was put up; no response, I'm not going to call this time];  I'm so tempted to name the editor (in chronology when published) (John Whittaker) who ignored my requests to reply with numbers; here, at least, are the  printed %'s, if not actual numbers of voting public:

​YES:  26%      NO:  74%

January 1, 2016  [this is truly way above and beyond the exhaustion of my duty to provide the Lounge with information:  been trying to post this for 1/2 an hour PLEASE, SOMEONE, help - some days, the post goes in regularly; some days not - TODAY, NOT!!!!  Thanks, JK

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Year Past, Region, Most-Read Stories, 'Scary Lucy', (& others) Dominate 2015 Online Clicks," [see 4/2, and several follow-up stories, Post-Journal]; published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Halfway Point, Horrigan Enters Final Two Years With More To Accomplish, 'A structurally-balanced budget has been a goal for years', by Jimmy McCarthy,County Executive Horrigan feels good about Chautauqua County last 2 years beginning his 4-year office term. Among others: the upswing with $20 million in state funds for County projects including the National Comedy Center and the Chautauqua Harbor Destination Hotel in Celoron;" published, 2016.