The Post-Journal

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Region, Riverwalk Work Continues, Phase V, VI Work Moving Ahead This Summer, by Dennis Phillips, “Work to finish 2 phases of the Greater Jamestown Riverwalk will continue this summer; V may be completed by fall; Chadakoin Park trail and bike path between McCrea Point Park, Clifton Ave.; blacktop bike, pedestrian path. VI will be finished following, continuing at McCrea, along Steele St.; some parking available; landscaping completed; [see: 7/16,23/1749; 9/15/1797; 6/1/1812; 10/1/1859; 5/18/1894; 10/1/2004; 8/9,18/2013; 10/14,16/13; 12/12/13; 1/13,17,22/2014; 3/2/14; 4/14,19/14; 5/15/14; 7/16/14; 8/3,6,8,9,11,26/14; 9/9/14; 10/22,28/14; 12/2,12,18,27,30/14; 1/10/2015; 3/4,6,19,28/15; 6/11,24,26,28/15; 7/3,11/15; 8/12,18,19,29/15; 9/22/15; 10/3,6,9,28/15; 1/18/2016; 2/21/16; 3/2,16/16; 7/4/16]; published, 2016.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Making Connections, Pedestrian Bridge Project Across Chadakoin To Begin In 2017, 'I think that is a key word 'connectivity.' Matthew Driscoll, State Transportation Commissioner, by Dennis Phillips, “Commissioner received 1st-hand view, Greater Jamestown Riverwalk and future location, 2 intermodal bridges. October 2014, state officials announced city would receive $1.6 million [$2 million project] funding for bridges; Jamestown receiving $4 hundred thousand from First Instance Urban Development Action Grant, matching funds making up difference. Bridges are slated for completion end of 2017, making way for folks to opt crossing Chadakoin River;" published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Editorial Page, Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down column, “Thumbs up to state decision to spend thousands on NY & Lake Erie Railroad, Inc., upgrade line between 2 north county Villages, allowing passenger travel again from other local villages; one step in local rail owner's desire to upgrading and return of passenger runs, Buffalo to Jamestown, passengers flowing to festivals; rail tourism may be on the rise for our area;” published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Region, Ready For A Close-Up, Celoron's New Lucy Statue To Be Unveiled During August 6 Ceremony, by Post-Journal Staff, "Noon, Saturday, 8/6, Carolyn Palmer, sculptor, Hudson Valley NY region, [hugh donation by Subaru of New England's, Ernie Boch, Jr.]  Junior Guilders perform; birthday cupcakes will celebrate Lucille Ball birthday; coinciding with a new event in Lucille Ball Memorial Park, 8/5,6, the Chautauqua Lake Dragon Boat Race and Festival; food, craft vendors on site during weekend; adult beverage tent available and band, We Speak Canadian, performs in Desi Arnaz Bandshell, 8/6;" published, 2016.

I'm in awe of what they've done on the lakefront; and so Proud to be a Celoronian.  Can't wait for the new Hotel to start construction; YES, I'm told by someone close to the Village Board, (grew up with her; she has an in-law on the Board) it will be GREAT!!!! 

They are also going to do 'something' with the island, just off Ellicott Shores, where I lived for 20 1/2 years 1989-2010; just 4 days moved when my building caved in!!! 

The FIELD, SWAMP, next to our building, which was tree-covered all those years; has been cleared; the Moose Club has done much work in the OLD PARK area [west side] lakefront over the past 5 or so years; it's gonna make Celoron alive again!!!!  Can't wait; always thought if it EVER happened, Celoron would have been a perfect place for the Museum.  Now, of course, it's too late - ER....isn't everything???? 

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Back On Track, Trolley Car Celebrating Special Anniversaries This Year, by Dennis Phillips, “In 1891, 1st electric trolley car traveled streets of Pearl City [Jamestown]. Like railroad tied the country together, trolley car tied the city together. Headline in Evening Journal 125 years ago read: 'Goodbye, Horse Cars.' Ken Springirth, train, rail historian who's written 30 books on region transit lines, said trolley tranportation was important to city, region. At one point, someone could travel 1082 miles through 20 different region trolley stops;” published, 2016.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Railway Hereitage Center To Apply For Non-profit Status, by Dennis Phillips, “Next stop for newly-formed Jamestown Area Railway Heritage Center committee is to become non-profit. Lee Harkness, Committee spokesperson: 'It'll be all new; we'll start efforts with fresh approach,' form board of directors, produce by-laws; invite other area railroad committee groups – Dunkirk, Gowanda, Buffalo, to join; sell memberships to raise project funds; renovation of former engine building, 2nd St.; just west of Jamestown Gateway Train Station/National Comedy Center. Restoration project for facility announced earlier this month;” published, 2016.

July 19, 2016 paper:

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, City Officials Look To Light Up Riverwalk, by Dennis Phillips, “Several city organizations working to light up Greater Jamestown Riverwalk; purpose being: lighten a safer, more vibrant riverfront. Project Volt Vision-created, partners with Jamestown Renaissance Corp., City; Board, Public Utilities; NCC; Gebbie; Johnson Foundations; each funding, 50/50 grant partnership with State Regional Economic Development Council program. Maintenance, JRC, raising funds through sponsorship donations. Johnson funds initial electricity, fixture costs. Riverfront Complex: 9 Riverwalk locations; private-public partnership enhancing downtown Jamestown;” published, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Train Grants To Improve Railroad Infrastructure, Assist In Future Excursion Train Travel,, by Dennis Phillips, “$4 million+ received, railroad improvements; 3 grants assist Jamestown officials bring back passenger train travel, not occurring in city since 1970s; assists Southern Tier Extension Rail Authority; bridge re-construction to begin 2017;” published, 2016.

Yesterday's Post-Journal Question:  Are you attending any comedy performances this week?  Today's response (Jamestown usual response:  Y 12% - N 88%

The Post-Journal, Several Activities Planned For Dragon Boat Race, Festival, by Dennis Phillips, "Food, live music and unveiling of new Lucy statue are among activities planned for 2016 Chautauqua Lake Dragon Boat Race & Festival.  August 4-6, McCrea Point Park and Lucille Ball Memorial Park.  Thursday, 8/4, practice between 4-8 p.m.  Public welcome.  Friday, 8/5, activities move to Celoron; food, craft vendors open at 3 pm.  Dragon boat practice 4 pm.  6 pm  Race kick-off party starts live music We Speak Canadian.  7 pm pontoon boat parade; starting Lakewood Rod & Gun Club; held at Lucille Ball Memorial Park; Saturday 8/6 opening ceremonies 9 am.  Racing between 9 am to 3 pm race finals 3 pm  A race starts every 15 minutes.  Noon unveiling statue, Saturday.  Artist on site;" published, 2016.

The Post-Journal, Laugh While You Can, Trevor Noah To Share 'A Little Bit Of Everything' During Upcoming Performance, by Katrina Fuller, Trevor Noah, host, The Daily Show, a first visit to area, eager to share stories, insights and more for his part in the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival..'One thing is common for everyone - everyone loves laughter,' Noah says.  He's been doing stand-up for 12 years.  Noah scheduled Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, Saturday 8:30 pm;" published, 2016.

The Post-Journal this morning:  No time to print articles:

Just a few headlines:

Rain Pryor Talks Father's Influence, First Jamestown Visit 'Comedy Legacies' (including Carlin, Bruce relatives) Reg, Friday 6 pm

Comedy Fest Offers Full Lineup of Events, Activities (you all here already have that in your program)

Story Pirates To Perform At Reg Lenna Center - Reg, Saturday 11

• 2 weeks later...

The Post-Journal, ​Jamestown NY, Pescatelli To Perform October 8, Former Headliner, LucyFest event, Pescatelli will appear Willow Bay Theater 10/8, during weekend events 2016 Lucy Town Half Marathon and 5K. Tickets, $17.50 on sale lucyrace.com and registration can be effected that site, as well.  10/9, race itself, sponsor; Univera Healthcare; a program of the National Comedy Center, which produces Lucille Ball Comedy Festival; operating year-round Museum;" published, 2016.

Funny her first name isn't mentioned in the blurb! :blink:

Columbus Day Weekend 2016 – Oct. 8-9: The Lucy Town Half Marathon & 5K race weekend has attracted participants from across the country annually since its creation in 2013, including both elite runners and Lucy fans alike. The inaugural year was headlined by Martin Short, and during the 2014 race weekend, Jamestown welcomed comedian Bob Newhart and paid tribute to the iconic I Love Lucy grape stomping scene as 1,232 people set a new world record for most people treading grapes.

Who the hell "treads" grapes??! :blink:

Hey, I like this "Lucy Town" idea!! Why don't we have a parade down Main Street and get a petition going to rename her hometown!!?? :lucycoy:

Funny her first name isn't mentioned in the blurb! :blink:

Columbus Day Weekend 2016 – Oct. 8-9: The Lucy Town Half Marathon & 5K race weekend has attracted participants from across the country annually since its creation in 2013, including both elite runners and Lucy fans alike. The inaugural year was headlined by Martin Short, and during the 2014 race weekend, Jamestown welcomed comedian Bob Newhart and paid tribute to the iconic I Love Lucy grape stomping scene as 1,232 people set a new world record for most people treading grapes.

Who the hell "treads" grapes??! :blink:

Hey, I like this "Lucy Town" idea!! Why don't we have a parade down Main Street and get a petition going to rename her hometown!!?? :lucycoy:

Okay, guy, SPILL!  Where did you get THIS article; date, etc.  Thanks, Love, JK

Okay, guy, SPILL!  Where did you get THIS article; date, etc.  Thanks, Love, JK

Originally found this site:

https://runsignup.com/Race/NY/Jamestown/2015LucyTownHalfMarathon5K

and then on the top half of the page, you see:

Race Website

Additional race information can be found at http://www.lucyrace.com.

Click on that "lucyrace" link and it takes you there with all the race info. :D

• Like 1

Better Late Than NEVER:  From P-J, 8/19/2016:

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY, Jame$town, NY, State Awards City $10M For Downtown Revitalization Initiative;” published, 2016.

August 21, 2016:

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Chautauqua County Chamber, Commerce, Todd Tranum, President, CEO, Exec. Director, Manufacturers Association, Southern Tier, “A highly-anticipated Jamestown announcement tremendous news for entire region. $10M grant award under Downtown Revitalization Initiative goes a long way toward boosting business downtown, surrounding area and region. A product of good planning, collaboration was competitive; and proposal emerged as best in large part due to stakeholders working toward common objective; a planning component inclusive, well-prepared. $100M, 10 communities statewide, one in each economic development region; an effort designed as coordinated multi-agency approach to community revitalization: housing, economic development, transportation, community projects to attract, retain residents, visitors, businesses; a criteria based on population, economic decline; making possible exciting projects, initiatives emerging throughout Chautauqua County; i.e. the National Comedy Center; and many more, attracting interest by private developers and creating jobs;” published, 2016.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, The Water’s Just Fine, Lake Rally Draws Crowds To Discuss Lake Initiatives, Programs, by Katrina Fuller, “Large crowd gathered to discuss one of area’s biggest resources, beloved landmarks: Chautauqua Lake; published, 2016.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, Developing Vision, Familiar Faces Included In Southern Tier West’s 2016 Development Plan, by John Whittaker, “The National Comedy Center and Northern Chautauqua County Water District remain top-ranked economic development projects in county by Southern Tier West; as well as several other county projects;” published, 2016.

The Sunday Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY, After The Announcement, What Happens Now After City’s Designation As State DRI Winner? ‘This stamp of validation (from state: Gov. Andrew Cuomo) on what we are trying to do here.’ Mayor Sam Teresi, by Dennis Phillips, “Waterfront enhancements, a new Pearl City Brewery and building redevelopment projects are a few improvements Jamestown residents, business owners will witness because of $10M state grant to be invested downtown. Next Step Is To Form Plan To Spend Money, plan details including past, current, possible future projects for downtown Jamestown; one of which is National Comedy Center;” published, 2016.

• 4 weeks later...

The Post-Journal,Tammy Pescatelli to Perform At Willow Bay Theater During Lucy Town Half Marathon October 8, by Gavin Paterniti, "Tammy will make return to Jamestown, 7:30, October 8, part of series of events making up 2016 Lucy Town Half Marathon, Univera Kids 2K and 5K race weekend; her 4th overall visit to Jamestown," published, 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, Run With Lucy, Half Marathon, 5K Run/Walk Set For Next Weekend, by Matt Spielman, "Brooke Adams will attempt to win a pair of races in Lucy Town 1/2 Marathon , 5K next weekend, sponsored by Univera Healthcare, Northwest Arena, 9 a.m. Runners from 28 states, 3 countries will compete; 2014 champ, Kip Tisia, Rochester NY, returns;" published, 2016.

The Post Journal, Jamestown, NY, ‘Lovable Lucy’ Returns, Improvement Fund Seeking Donations, by Gavin Paterniti, Celoron, “It took nearly a month; but Lovable Lucy has been returned to her home in Lucille Ball Memorial Park. The 800-# statue was shipped to the Polich Tallix Foundry, Rock Tavern, beginning of September to fix issues resulting from improper mounting upon its base. [when I find THAT particle, I'll re-print...] Expecting it back in 2 weeks, the statue finally returned Monday, installed during the morning hours. Village is also seeking donations for replacement park sea wall funding construction of a kayak-canoe launch; boardwalk and new amenities building;” published, 2016.

​[Please note:  I'm WAYYYYYY behind in my chronology; so, incorporated two articles into this one to explain the 'return'; (have moved past 30 days, my residence, into 55+ community, all brand-new, and at nearly same rent I was paying in sub-human conditions in my old place of 6 1/2 years; forgive me); I'll get back on track soon; last two days of moving things; then, I'll get back to my work with Lucy...... :D  :fabrary:]