The "Bored" And Talented Webmaster... (Pt. 4)

Brock

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Love  the "Lucy in London" pic.  I love all pics from LIL.  She seems so "vibrant".   I had recently watched the fascinating  "Making of LIL" documentary.  Lucy had such incredible energy.  It was a hard shoot and they had very little time.  Apparently to shoot at Madame Tussaud's they had to wait until it closed and worked the entire night so they all (including Lucy, we assume) had a sleepless night.   If Lucy was suffering from fatigue, it did not show on-screen.   Too bad the 'punting on the Thames' scene didn't work out better.  I've never heard an explanation of why it's so clumsily edited.  (and why a shot of Lucy swimming in the Thames, which I saw as stills, wasn't included).  I attended the premiere in LA with Steve Binder, but didn't know how to ask that question without it seeming insulting.  You'd think that Lucy and CBS would have been happy with the high rating LIL got (#3 for the week? citation needed: Harry?) but the lukewarm critical response meant the end of the "Lucy In______" ideas.   For her second special she was contracted for that season, she just reran "The Lucille Ball Comedy Hour" from 1964, rather than produce something new.   Other than the Thames scene and perhaps an overlong (to me) Newley concert at the end, it's wonderful.  And we all owe a HUGE thank you to Tom Watson and crew for not only giving us a long-awaited pristine copy of LIL, but going above and beyond with the "making of" documentary.  

When we got season 4 of The Lucy Show DVD release, I wasn't confident they would go ahead with Season 5, since practically all of those episodes were in public domain and the poor-quality 16mm prints were sold over the years, packaged in so many different (and usually deceptive) ways.  Including "Lucy's LOST Episodes" with a pic of Lucy Ricardo as the cover art.   (Now THAT'S shameless). The fact that Lucy trusted these LIL production people, not her usual Desilu crew, and went out on a limb is even more amazing when you consider how relatively safe and often mundane the episodes of "The Lucy Show" had become.  (If she liked these writers so much, why didn't she hire them for TLS or HL?)

• 6 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 2:02 PM, JoeySoCal said:

Yes! Can we credit/identify the wundaful artist or source? (Lucy looks a little Garlandish if you look at it quickly, no?) :desi1:

I don't know the identity of an artist, but it is taken from a foreign language Meet the People poster.

Image result for "Meet the People" poster

Archived