Lucy and Desi photo thread :)

Annaleigh

With all the discussions in the What If and Book threads I thought this might be a good photo.  I think this is around 1980?

44.jpg

Yup...this one never gets old...by his reaction it sort of appears she snuck up on him!

This was at Lucie's outdoor wedding to Larry, so ..whatever year that was!  :D

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for placing that photo.  I've seen the other 3 that made the rounds from the wedding but never saw this captioned being from the same event. 1980 then is correct.  Was there some photo spread done for the wedding.  Where are these coming from?

A People Magazine article about the wedding.  7/7/1980

They met on Broadway. She was starring in They're Playing Our Song; he was doing Chapter Two. Now, after a courtship of less than a year—and before the birth of a baby, expected in December—Lucie Arnaz, 28, and Laurence Luckinbill, 45, have gotten their acts together and taken them to Hawaii for a three-week honeymoon. "It's chapter two in my life and hers too," announced Luckinbill, referring to their failed first marriages. "Now they're playing our song." 

Held in a Kingston, N.Y. orchard on a steamy June afternoon ("There were no apple blossoms, but plenty of bugs," said a guest), the ceremony was devised by Larry and Lucie, and left at least one of them drained. "We were looking so hard at each other I didn't realize I was soaking through my shirt," said Luckinbill, previously married to actress Robin Strasser. "It's the one time in your life when it's permissible to be totally panic-stricken." 

Adding to the dampness was mother of the bride Lucille Ball, who burst into tears each time ex-husband Desi Arnaz was called on to serenade the guests. As for Arnaz, did it bother him to give his daughter away in marriage for the second time (she was briefly wed at 20 to actor-producer Phi Vandervort)? "Not at all," said Desi. "I'm going to keep doing it until she gets a husband she's happy with." "Stop it, Daddy," Lucie protested. "Larry's the one."   

Thank you for placing that photo.  I've seen the other 3 that made the rounds from the wedding but never saw this captioned being from the same event. 1980 then is correct.  Was there some photo spread done for the wedding.  Where are these coming from?

A People Magazine article about the wedding.  7/7/1980

They met on Broadway. She was starring in They're Playing Our Song; he was doing Chapter Two. Now, after a courtship of less than a year—and before the birth of a baby, expected in December—Lucie Arnaz, 28, and Laurence Luckinbill, 45, have gotten their acts together and taken them to Hawaii for a three-week honeymoon. "It's chapter two in my life and hers too," announced Luckinbill, referring to their failed first marriages. "Now they're playing our song." 

Held in a Kingston, N.Y. orchard on a steamy June afternoon ("There were no apple blossoms, but plenty of bugs," said a guest), the ceremony was devised by Larry and Lucie, and left at least one of them drained. "We were looking so hard at each other I didn't realize I was soaking through my shirt," said Luckinbill, previously married to actress Robin Strasser. "It's the one time in your life when it's permissible to be totally panic-stricken." 

Adding to the dampness was mother of the bride Lucille Ball, who burst into tears each time ex-husband Desi Arnaz was called on to serenade the guests. As for Arnaz, did it bother him to give his daughter away in marriage for the second time (she was briefly wed at 20 to actor-producer Phi Vandervort)? "Not at all," said Desi. "I'm going to keep doing it until she gets a husband she's happy with." "Stop it, Daddy," Lucie protested. "Larry's the one."   

You see, your compilation here would be just perfect in a book.  You could do that with everything.

Was Edie cut off?  Nice wedding SMOCK Lucie.  Did she have a shift at the local hospital afterwards?

Well she was like 4 months pregnant there, so she had to wear a lab coat to cover up baby bloat.  LOL.  Poor Edie, always getting shoved aside.  I'm guessing the lady inbetween Lucie and Desi is Larry's mom?

I was wondering if that was his mom too.

From the few photos I've seen of Lucy and Desi from this wedding, I think there was a lot of sentimental love on display this weekend.

Didn't Lee mention in his book, Lucy was apprehensive about seeing him? Doesn't look that way to me. Also they talked a lot, and saw each other when circumstances allowed. Lee makes it seem like she hadn't seen or talked to him in years.

That would have been my other guess but I have no idea on their marriage dates so didn't know if they were together then.

So this photo is post wedding then. I'd love to see more from this wedding if anyone has them. Other than these 2 I've only seen the cake one, the one with Lucy crying, and the one where they are both holding the flowers.

Well she was like 4 months pregnant there, so she had to wear a lab coat to cover up baby bloat.  LOL.  Poor Edie, always getting shoved aside.  I'm guessing the lady inbetween Lucie and Desi is Larry's mom?

Oh yeah, forgot she was PREGGARS!  O M G how could you think that was Larry's mom, he was 45 here and Linda was so much younger than that, LOL!

I was wondering if that was his mom too.

From the few photos I've seen of Lucy and Desi from this wedding, I think there was a lot of sentimental love on display this weekend.

Didn't Lee mention in his book, Lucy was apprehensive about seeing him? Doesn't look that way to me. Also they talked a lot, and saw each other when circumstances allowed. Lee makes it seem like she hadn't seen or talked to him in years.

You didn't know that was actress Linda Purl?  Desi jr's first wife???

That's Linda Purl between Lucie and Desi Jr. (Poor Linda. Lol) Lucie had changed out of her wedding gown and I believe they were all taking a bus back to New York City from upstate.

Wow. Linda looks real old there! Not a flattering pic of her for sure. Maybe it's cause it's in black and white. And she has her hair up like that, reminds me of an old society matron. Lol

Archived