The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

Since we're now a little less than a week away from the Season Six DVD release, I thought I'd start the reviews thread a bit early.

What are you most looking forward to about this set?

Any particular episodes you're dying to see restored in all their glory?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm super excited about this set. I've only seen the PD episodes of this season (and also the syndicated version of the Joan Crawford ep) so it's one of the few "new" Lucy sets I have to look forward to. Can't wait to read the production notes, I always enjoy those. Can't wait to see the menu art, the other special features...basically want the whole thing.

The episode I'm probably most looking forward to is "Lucy Gets Mooney Fired". Heard great things about it.

The episode I'm probably most looking forward to is "Lucy Gets Mooney Fired".

Me too! One of the classics in this set.

I'm also looking forward to having my very own copy of the uncut Lucy & The Boss of the Year Award. After watching the full version at the Museum of TV and Radio years ago, it's outrageous the syndicators cut out the funniest scene in the show of Lucy and Mary Jane trying to come up with ideas for what would ultimately be the musical finale. :lucyshock::marionstrong:

First off I cannot wait to finish the series of TLS! BUT I can't wait to finally watch all of the season 6 episodes. I haven't seen very many of them. Also to complete all Lucy and Viv related shows too. But also more production notes and pictures. Also her Emmy win, have yet to see the entire speech! :)

Okay so what's the hurry everbody?? Ya know, once we get this and in December, the last HL, THAT'S IT! No more to look forward to, nothing definite anyways. And I for one will be :lucyblah:

TRUE, but Lucy did so much on television that there will always be something else that they can release and milk her legacy for all the money they can get out of us. Lucy in Nashville, Lucy guest shots on other stars' shows, guest stints on talk shows, and quiz shows, and all those glorious tributes to her over the decades etc etc etc . . . lost footage of her in Wildcat, 200 unreleased Let's Talk to Lucy interviews, radio shows including My Favorite Husband, old movies, behind the scenes Home Movies that have yet to be seen, obscure interviews done for Mame all over the US, that famous Canadian interview here in Canada by Pierre Berton that i saw as a kid, and others done in Britain and all over the world, unreleased musical numbers, interviews with her kids, mentions in documentaries about other Lucy related people, just discovered hidden treasures and the like.

Okay so what's the hurry everbody?? Ya know, once we get this and in December, the last HL, THAT'S IT! No more to look forward to, nothing definite anyways. And I for one will be :lucyblah:

debbie-downer.jpg

We have the newly restored version of LDCH coming out in 2013, hopefully some movement with LWL, undoubtedly tentative releases of ILL in BluRay, more films being released by the Warner Archive, random MPI releases with equally random Let's Talk To Lucy episodes...hell, maybe even complete series sets of TLS and HL to take us to the cleaners again! :lucythrill:

Only seen the public domain episodes and maybe one or two others. I can't wait! (Though, I think I'm actually more anxious for HERE'S LUCY Season Six, as I have only seen one episode.)

Of the two Season 6's coming out, I prefer HL's, but you have to get into the season quite a ways before there are a string of good ones. HL-6 contains the most entries in my HL top 10.

I've looked through the episode list of LS season 6 and there's not a single episode I can say I remember with more than a slight degree of fondness--except for "Lucy and Viv Reminisce" ("From an idea by Hilda Josefsburg"--my favorite credit of all time) which does not really qualify because the highlights are season 1 clips. Those of us who around on January 1, 1968 (and who may have seen these when they originally aired but were too young to remember them) were treated to these scenes for the first time. Such a stark contrast to the style and tone of the rest of the season. Take any episode of this season and try to imagine it being played in Season 1's Danfield.

One episode that has grown on me is "Phil Harris". Though the piano bar scene teeters on the edge of too-obnoxious-Lucy, it's really quite funny. Like "Lucy and John Wayne", people seem to love or hate this episode. I love Phil's reactions to Lucy in this (and HL's "Strike Up the Band" from season 6). The episode contains one of the few 'dramatic' scenes as Phil is confronted with the memory of his past sweetheart. Because he is dressed in a frilly bathrobe, Phil gets an unintended laugh, which pisses him off. He then looks directly at the studio audience with a bit of disdain.

I am looking forward to the "Boss of Year" songwriting scene. "Meets the Berles" has a few laughs, but the only stellar Lucy moment of the season I can think of is in "Carol Burnett-part 1" when the plane's movie projector malfunctions and spews film in Lucy's face. "Lost Star/Joan Crawford" is more infamous than enjoyable, though it's pretty good up until the "Speakeasy Days" skit. (Lucy Carmichael would not write such a skit!!)

I haven't seen episodes from this season in years so maybe they'll surprise me.

LS Season 6 is notable for me because of just how successful it was: on paper anyway. For the better part of the season, it was TV's NUMBER ONE show and would have held that position for the end of season averaged tally had it not been for the inroads "Laugh In" made when it debuted in January and caught on quickly, though by the time it was really popular "LS" was already in reruns.

This season had the most Emmy nomination for the show. Ironic for me because it's my least favorite season, while my favorite season (#2) received none, not a one. "The Lucy Show" was passed over for the likes of "The Bill Dana Show" and "farmer's Daughter". S2 was the only LS season where Lucy did not get a Best Actress in a Sitcom nomination when there was that category (there was that one silly Emmy year 64-65 where they did away with nominations) Instead it was Inger Stevens. And not to knock her, but she wasn't required to do much but look adorable.

1968: Lucy was definitely on a roll.

I completely agree with you -- Season Six of HL is miles ahead of Season Six of TLS from a quality standpoint. Personally, looking at the episodes themselves, Season Six of TLS is not as bad as some people make it out to be. In addition to the ones Neil mentioned above, some underrated gems, in my opinion are Lucy & The Stolen Stole with Buddy Hackett and Lucy, The Pool Hustler with Dick Shawn. The former is particularly funny, and Mary Jane has a great moment in it too. Gale steals the show in Pool Hustler.

Only seen the public domain episodes and maybe one or two others. I can't wait! (Though, I think I'm actually more anxious for HERE'S LUCY Season Six, as I have only seen one episode.)

Hear Hear! Couldn't agree more - excited to see both - more excited to see Season 7 or The Lucy Show and Season 7 of Here's Lucy because I DEFINITELY HAVEN'T seen any of those episodes :gary:

I completely agree with you -- Season Six of HL is miles ahead of Season Six of HL from a quality standpoint. Personally, looking at the episodes themselves, Season Six of TLS is not as bad as some people make it out to be. In addition to the ones Neil mentioned above, some underrated gems, in my opinion are Lucy & The Stolen Stole with Buddy Hackett and Lucy, The Pool Hustler with Dick Shawn. The former is particularly funny, and Mary Jane has a great moment in it too. Gale steals the show in Pool Hustler.

LOL! Season Six of HL is miles ahead of Season Six of HL???? :lucyshock:

Fixed. ;)

I personally can't wait to see

"Lucy Gets Trapped" in restored crystal clear quality

"Lucy & Viv Reminisce"

"Lucy & the Boss of the Year award"

and several others. I have only seen a quarter of this season, and that includes almost the whole entire half.

Since the menu is different for every season, I wonder how this one will be? The same as season 4 since they used the Kaleidoscope intro for that whole season?

This season had the most Emmy nomination for the show. Ironic for me because it's my least favorite season, while my favorite season (#2) received none, not a one. "The Lucy Show" was passed over for the likes of "The Bill Dana Show" and "farmer's Daughter". S2 was the only LS season where Lucy did not get a Best Actress in a Sitcom nomination when there was that category (there was that one silly Emmy year 64-65 where they did away with nominations) Instead it was Inger Stevens. And not to knock her, but she wasn't required to do much but look adorable.

1968: Lucy was definitely on a roll.

I still think Lucy finally got some recognition in those later years because people saw her in interviews and saw she really had to be quite an actress to play dumb like that when she was running the studio in real life AND she was showing off her many talents on other people's shows, had aquired her main titles at this point, First Lady of of Television and Queen of Comedy, was in HIT movies on the side AND was training NEW audiences who were watching her reruns worldwide too. Among other things.

Did anyone's leave the Amazon warehouse yet? Wonder if they will wait until the release date to ship.

Nothing here yet. Since you asked, I went on Amazon.ca to check the status and noticed the price has gone up $7 from the time I ordered it. :lucyshock: Love the price guarantee system!

Archived