The Lucy Show -- Season Six -- Reviews and First Impressions!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine shipped today to. Guess if you select release-day delivery it ships out the day before for 1-day delivery. Makes sense.

Columbus Day is only partially observed in the states. But Canadian Thanksgiving would shut everything down cold.

As I remember, everything in Canada closes at the merest suggestion of a holiday ;)

I ordered from Barnes & Noble and mine shipped on Friday. If there had been mail today, I think I would have gotten it. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Which episode are you guys going to watch first? I think I'm jumping to the last disc first.

I'm going to go in order, likely skipping over most of the PD episodes I've already seen.

I'm going to go in order, likely skipping over most of the PD episodes I've already seen.

Well, you should watch them in beautifully restored "HD" quality, after seeing scratchy color-drained low quality prints. I personally can't wait to see "Lucy Gets Trapped" in pristine crystal clear quality.

Review's up on Sitcoms Online here:

http://www.sitcomson...6dvdreview.html

Here's an excerpt (the "Final Comments" of the review):

Final Comments:

I didn't enjoy the quality of the episodes included on the fifth season as much as the previous ones and my recollection of this season was not really that positive either... but in watching these episodes, I have to say that they are better than I remember, and these episodes are actually a little better than those fifth season episodes. These episodes are mostly just Lucy and Mr. Mooney (and occasionally Mary Jane) along with their "guest star of the week," but we do get to see some great episodes which only focus on the main cast here, and I feel that they did a better job of working in the guest stars in this season by giving them less ridiculous plots. Although it was technically a different series, I feel that the retooling made as the series transitioned to Here's Lucy did make a major improvement to the series, almost bringing it up to the excellent quality that this series had in the first three seasons.

I'm also glad that CBS did an excellent job not only on this set, but on all of these releases. We've gotten episodes which are about 99.9% unedited, a healthy collection of special features for ALL six seasons (I honestly expected them to transition to "episodes only" sets around after a season or two), and on top of that, we got it all wrapped up in just a little over three years. The same can be said for the fine folks at MPI who are in the process of completing Here's Lucy. The mutual cooperation and cross-promoting from both studios seems to have made these both of these series, which are certainly a less memorable part of Lucille Ball's legacy, thrive on DVD. I feel that now we can really close the book on this series and call it a wrap, but I can't help but to wonder if we'll see a complete series release in the future with even more special features. These sets would be hard to top, and really, that statement in and of itself is a great compliment.

Video Quality: 4.5/5

Audio Quality: 4.5/5

Special Features: 3.5/5

Menu Design/Navigation: 5/5

Overall: 4.5/5

Review's up on Sitcoms Online here:

http://www.sitcomson...6dvdreview.html

Here's an excerpt (the "Final Comments" of the review):

Final Comments:

I didn't enjoy the quality of the episodes included on the fifth season as much as the previous ones and my recollection of this season was not really that positive either... but in watching these episodes, I have to say that they are better than I remember, and these episodes are actually a little better than those fifth season episodes. These episodes are mostly just Lucy and Mr. Mooney (and occasionally Mary Jane) along with their "guest star of the week," but we do get to see some great episodes which only focus on the main cast here, and I feel that they did a better job of working in the guest stars in this season by giving them less ridiculous plots. Although it was technically a different series, I feel that the retooling made as the series transitioned to Here's Lucy did make a major improvement to the series, almost bringing it up to the excellent quality that this series had in the first three seasons.

I'm also glad that CBS did an excellent job not only on this set, but on all of these releases. We've gotten episodes which are about 99.9% unedited, a healthy collection of special features for ALL six seasons (I honestly expected them to transition to "episodes only" sets around after a season or two), and on top of that, we got it all wrapped up in just a little over three years. The same can be said for the fine folks at MPI who are in the process of completing Here's Lucy. The mutual cooperation and cross-promoting from both studios seems to have made these both of these series, which are certainly a less memorable part of Lucille Ball's legacy, thrive on DVD. I feel that now we can really close the book on this series and call it a wrap, but I can't help but to wonder if we'll see a complete series release in the future with even more special features. These sets would be hard to top, and really, that statement in and of itself is a great compliment.

Video Quality: 4.5/5

Audio Quality: 4.5/5

Special Features: 3.5/5

Menu Design/Navigation: 5/5

Overall: 4.5/5

W O W , sounds like a rave to me!

Archived