Oh, Those Traveling Props!

I hope I'm not late on this prop but I was watching Viv Visits Lucy and look at what I found in The Hairy Ape on top of the fire hydrant. You have no idea how excited I was when I spotted it.

IMAG1978_zpsa85a1315.jpg

Sorry about the quality. Just took it on my phone from my TV!

What the heck is The Hairy Ape? Looks a lot like the head Lucy wore in Bullfight Dance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Since the Lounge Archives are working at the moment, here's an import from good ole' HC:

There's a statue of what appears to be a cat with a long neck that appears in several Here's Lucy episodes. The two that immediately come to mind for me are "Lucy and Flip Go Legit" (it's in Flip's office) and "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon" (it's in Frankie's dressing room.) Tonight was was watching the movie version of Sweet Charity and saw the same cat in Charity's apartment! The movie was a Universal Picture, so I assume it was filmed at Universal Studios like Here's Lucy and it's the same exact cat.

Here's the cat in both Here's Lucy and Sweet Charity:

377444491.jpg

Flip's cat also appears in the background of the ceramic store in Lucy & Harry's Pot.

• 10 months later...

Since the Lounge Archives are working at the moment, here's an import from good ole' HC:

There's a statue of what appears to be a cat with a long neck that appears in several Here's Lucy episodes. The two that immediately come to mind for me are "Lucy and Flip Go Legit" (it's in Flip's office) and "The Carters Meet Frankie Avalon" (it's in Frankie's dressing room.) Tonight was was watching the movie version of Sweet Charity and saw the same cat in Charity's apartment! The movie was a Universal Picture, so I assume it was filmed at Universal Studios like Here's Lucy and it's the same exact cat.

Here's the cat in both Here's Lucy and Sweet Charity:

377444491.jpg

I just spotted this cat in the 1971 Universal picture Play Misty for Me starring Clint Eastwood, Jessica Walter, and Donna Mills. It appears in Donna Mills' character's house.

Very interesting. I was thinking of you last night as I watched Mame, is the set of Mame, the apartment on Beekman Place, especially those stairs featured in anything else? It's such a grand staircase. Reminds me of the Hillbillies mansion.

I don't know if the set of Mame was used anywhere else, but the staircase from Roz Russell's Auntie Mame was a Warner Bros. staple.

And what can you tell us about that famous dressing room, used by Babs Streisand in a movie, then obtained by gary for Liz Taylor when she did that Here's Lucy ep, then, used by Lucy or maybe not as it was huge and damaged by breaking in half while being transported to her.  You know the one that gary promised Lizzie without checking with boss lady Lucy first so she jettisoned the deal, LOL!

Speaking of props and costumes, on Burns and Allen last night Gracie and Blanche tried to sneak into a burlesque show as chorus girls and Gracie's dress and headgear looked suspiciously like Lucy's "I Get Ideas/Raggity Ricky" outfit.  How many senorita outfits could that costume rental place have?   I'll try to get a screen cap of B&A after I dig out my ILL episode copy to compare.  I would say this B&A episode was 1957.

J C, you mean to say they're using the same bag on all those shows, just how cheap are these studios anyway?

"Hollywood" can be a small town, especially in "the Industry": they probably coincidentally just happened to use the same prop house which supplied them with the bags, an item that probably hasn't had to change much over the years. ;)

So what do you think?  Do Lucy and Gracie rent from the same costume company?  Or is this Mrs. Trumble's Cielito Linda outfit.  I recognize it from somewhere.  (The image doesn't seem to be copying from photobucket, but the link will show you.  Tech support please!)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nlwlb/media/GracieSpanishStill1_zps28793727.jpg.html]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/nlwlb/media/GracieSpanishStill2_zpsc376011a.jpg.html]

• 1 year later...