Oh, Those Traveling Props!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Ricardo's Franciscan Ivy dinnerware magically worked it's way onto another Bill Asher-directed TV show...from East 68th Street in New York, right into Larry and Louise Tate's kitchen in Westport, Connecticut on "Bewitched" and Samantha had nothing to do with it! ^_^

Ivy1.jpg

Ivy2.jpg

Ivy3.jpg

Ivy4.jpg

• Like 1

What a GREAT catch Rick!! :peachonthebeach: 

My guess would be that since Desilu (Cahuenga, anyway) and Sunset Gower ("Bewitched" & "Jeannie's" sound stages, where this scene would have been shot) Studios were within blocks of each other, they must have shared (coincidentally?) the same prop house and therefore, the dishware in common....at least that's the best I can come up with!  Would Mr. Asher actually have gone to the "trouble" to request these specific dishes?? I doubt it! :lucythrill:

It's amazing what -- particularly with the slo-mo and freeze-frame capabilities of DVDs and Blu-Rays -- detail we're still "discovering" despite having seen each episode of BOTH our all-time favorite sitcoms hundreds of times over the course of 50+ years (BW) and 64+ for ILL! Whoa! :vanda:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well now that I think I've found something related I can't find related pics of Ethel's infamous chenille bathrobe -- worn by others, that is -- that I would have sworn were on this thread but now can't find, apologies in advance if this has already been shared but in the event it hasn't, here ya go:  I'm working my way through the complete Here's Lucy set in broadcast order (OMG that garboona ep was as bad as everyone said!! :blink: ) and in one of the (IMHO) worst episodes of the series (and first season) is this scene in which Our Heroine appears in a very loud "commercial" for Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Fun Farm" (Season One, Episode #23, OAD 3/10/69): 

Anyone else find this to be an almost unwatchable affair (in no small part to this scene featured here, which basically consists of Lucy and Gale yelling at one another (you'd almost think Norman Lear produced it but it was slightly ahead of his time!!)?? :HALKING:

25148922351_1c319f1714_b.jpg

Have Wardrobe, Will Travel starring Barbara Morrison:

HL: Lucy's Working Daughter

jacqyx.jpg

The Mothers-in-Law: Even Mothers-in-Law Have Mothers-in-Law

1zv641u.jpg

A perfect size 14 on any series.

Have you ever noticed this?  For a woman who always plays society matrons, Barbara Morrison has very bad teeth.   I guess Size 14 dresses are more expensive because of the yardage.  Given that these were two different series, she probably provided her own wardrobe.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Ricardo's Franciscan Ivy dinnerware magically worked it's way onto another Bill Asher-directed TV show...from East 68th Street in New York, right into Larry and Louise Tate's kitchen in Westport, Connecticut on "Bewitched" and Samantha had nothing to do with it! ^_^

Ivy1.jpg

Ivy2.jpg

Ivy3.jpg

Ivy4.jpg

What a GREAT catch Rick!! :peachonthebeach:

My guess would be that since Desilu (Cahuenga, anyway) and Sunset Gower ("Bewitched" & "Jeannie's" sound stages, where this scene would have been shot) Studios were within blocks of each other, they must have shared (coincidentally?) the same prop house and therefore, the dishware in common....at least that's the best I can come up with!  Would Mr. Asher actually have gone to the "trouble" to request these specific dishes?? I doubt it! :lucythrill:

It's amazing what -- particularly with the slo-mo and freeze-frame capabilities of DVDs and Blu-Rays -- detail we're still "discovering" despite having seen each episode of BOTH our all-time favorite sitcoms hundreds of times over the course of 50+ years (BW) and 64+ for ILL! Whoa! :vanda:

Another Desilu-Screen Gems inter-studio loan?

lucy-hazel-phone.jpg

Another Desilu-Screen Gems inter-studio loan?

lucy-hazel-phone.jpg

Just another reason I'll stick to my "theory", especially since both shows were shot at different -- NEARBY each other -- but different studios but it is conceivable that they both utilized the same Prop house, even nowadays I don't think there are that many around and I'm sure back then there were even fewer.  I can't think of anything else that makes sense, unless the studios had some sort of "loan out" deal where if they (e.g. Sunset Gower (Screen Gems then) for "Hazel") needed a prop for a few days that they didn't have in-house they'd call around to the "neighbor" studio (Desilu Cahuenga in this example) to see if they could "borrow" it.

I'm really curious now how this actually worked back then! (circa 1962 for both shows)!! I wonder if there's anyone around still that might be able to answer this!!

I'm gonna start digging!! :HALKING:

Just put a sticker over Danfield.

I know right?? You can clearly see it's taped over!! :HALKING:

• 4 weeks later...

The Countess' pink robe seems to have come out of Ann Sothern's personal closet. 

412376670.jpg

Left: The Lucy Show: My Fair Lucy, 1965                    Right: Love American Style: Love and the Bachelor, 1969

Probably... but also perhaps Paramount's wardrobe department, since Desilu Gower "became" PS and is where LAS was filmed later! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I was watching the 1937 musical "The Life of the Party" (I don't recommend it) and noticed in the opening scene of the movie that singer Betty Jane Rhodes was wearing the same exact outfit Lucy wore in "That Girl From Paris." It is the same coat and hat. It looks like "That Girl From Paris" was filmed first. Both RKO movies star Gene Raymond.

Betty Jane Rhodes behind Ann Miller and in front of Franklin Pangborn in "The Life of the Party":

tumblr_o5ixmgZjJc1uwp6gyo1_1280.jpg

Lucy in "That Girl From Paris"

lilylucyjackoakiefrankjenks.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today I found out that Mame's glass piano was reused three years later for...wait for it... Sextette!

I think Sextette was completed a couple years earlier than its release date (March 1978 according to wikipedia) but considering Mame was filmed in 1973, 3 years might be about right.

In the 6 or so years between Myra Breckenridge and Sextette, Mae must have had a slight stroke.  She actually looks and moves around pretty good in Myra and is the only reason to see that atrocity.  Though top billed, Mae does not appear in the first 25 minutes of the film and then her scenes have nothing to do with the plot, such as it is.  "Myra" is probably the worst movie ever released by a major studio (Fox).  It is unbelievably bad.

The plot of Sextette had Mae as a femme fatale movie star (what else?) who's set to marry husband #6, but her ex-husbands keep showing up.  If the husbands had been cast with actors within THIRTY years of Mae's age, she might not have been subject to the ridicule she got.  Husband #6 was played by Timothy Dalton, over 50 years younger than Mae.  We are never subjected to a shot of the couple actually kissing, but Dalton deserved some kind of an award for convincingly looking adoringly and longingly at Mae as if she were in her prime.  

Sextette is a musical but rather than an original score, the songs were all familiar, old "After Your Gone"and new "Love Will Keep Us Together" which Dalton sings to Mae changing the lyrics from "Young and beautiful, someday your looks will be gone" to "your looks will never be gone".  There is one original song "Marlo", the name of Mae's character, sung by a chorus over the closing credits with these lyrics "Marlo! The female answer to Apollo!".  Oh, Mae don't drag in your childhood pals...

In one of the most cruelly accurate reviews of Mae in Sextette, Rex Reed wrote "it's as if they smeared mascara on an old sheep and taught it to walk on its hind legs".   Mae moves like a weighty barge being pushed around by tugboats. 

• Like 2

For all the people who decry Lucy's age in Mame and her allegedly "stiff" dance moves, they should just be pointed toward the nightmare that is Sextette.

Although it's said Mae was eighty-something during filming, I've also heard that, being the egomaniac she was, there's a chance she was actually a lot older than she claimed!

• Like 1