Lucy Fest 2013 -- August 1 - 4

Brock

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just realized this is 2 weeks away. Gypsy and I have been waiting and saving up for over a year, counting the days, and it's 2 weeks away. HOLY SHIZNIT!!!!!

Jamestown better be prepared. You all have been warned. ;)

Remember now, if you stay at somebody's house there, if they give you a rollaway bed to sleep in, OPEN IT PROPERLY!

Added today to the chronology:

The Post-Journal, Jamestown NY - Saturday - A Mental Vacation - Kathleen Madigan to Host an Evening of Comedy in Jamestown - by Dustin Rader - “In the spirit of healing through laughter and funny women, Kathleen Madigan is coming to Jamestown for the first time. As part of the annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, Madigan will appear at the Reg Lenna Civic Center on Friday, August 2, 8: p.m.” published on this date in 2013.

Added today to the chronology:

The Sunday Post Journal, Jamestown NY – Section A-back cover, full-page ad - Jamestown's Comedy Central, August 2-3 - noon - 7 p.m. - “Take part in festivities at the newly-renovated Gateway Train Station. Enjoy beer, wine, food, live music, vendors, and more, along with an interactive comedy exhibit produced by our national partner, Pandora Comedy. Other evening events include classic and independent film screenings, grape stomping ($15) and candy wrapping ($5), a memorabilia auction and fashion show (8/3 at noon); 'StoryCorps of Comedy: Record your Story' with WRFA-LP, and never-before-seen archive exhibits. This full-page color ad also includes the complete Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, agenda, 8/1-4; daily free events; as well as special events, available to ticket holders,” published this date in 2013.

The Sunday Post Journal, Jamestown NY – Engvall Calls Lucy Fest 'A Perfect Match' - Blue Collar Comedy Star to Perform Saturday, by Dusten Rader - “A belly full of laughs awaits area residents when blue-collar comedian, Bill Engvall, comes to Jamestown. During his performance, he will feature material he describes as being similar to the type of comedy portrayed by famous television couples such as Lucy and Ricky, or Laura and Rob from Desilu Studios'-filmed, The Dick Van Dyke Show, who viewers looked up to and thought, 'Oh, that's what marriage is supposed to be like,' he said. Engvall will perform his act Saturday, August 3, at the Reg Lenna Civic Center,” published this date in 2013.

We arrived in Jamestown later this afternoon. Went to see the new mural (which is amazing) and looked at the new paint job at the Playhouse/Studios. I didn't realize that in addition to the new color scheme, they also changed the signs and logo/design all together. Plus, I saw Sirena Irwin and Bill Mendieta (from ILL: Live) walking into the Playhouse, but was unable to talk to them. Below are a few pictures of the new playhouse and the mural.

535718_438888209542883_1067379161_n.jpg

1097957_438888346209536_1696867093_n.jpg

1004658_438888359542868_70155103_n.jpg

1098143_438888399542864_731821842_n.jpg

I just arrive in Town about an hour ago and had a quick look around while the dinner order was being made and the Desilu Playhouse paint job was much better than I anticipated and, aside from the name change to "Studios", I like their new images of Lucy and Desi.

Where abouts are you staying this year, Justin? I was glad to see the Holiday Inn has undergone yet another name change, as is customary. lol

Driving in, it seemed unusual that the Gerry Rodeo ongoing about 10 minutes north of Jamestown is plastered in Lucy Fest advertising but there isn't anything greeting people on the way into town.

Also, have already met up with Mary Jane Fan's parents -- but I haven't spotted MJF himself yet.

I just arrive in Town about an hour ago and had a quick look around while the dinner order was being made and the Desilu Playhouse paint job was much better than I anticipated and, aside from the name change to "Studios", I like their new images of Lucy and Desi.

Where abouts are you staying this year, Justin? I was glad to see the Holiday Inn has undergone yet another name change, as is customary. lol

Driving in, it seemed unusual that the Gerry Rodeo ongoing about 10 minutes north of Jamestown is plastered in Lucy Fest advertising but there isn't anything greeting people on the way into town.

Also, have already met up with Mary Jane Fan's parents -- but I haven't spotted MJF himself yet.

I'm at the Ramada, we already had to switch rooms because of a terrible smell. But I'll have to try the Best Western again, haven't stayed there since '09. I also enjoyed the new colors better than I thought, not at all what I expected. Can't wait to see everyone tomorrow. Goodnight!

We arrived in Jamestown later this afternoon. Went to see the new mural (which is amazing) and looked at the new paint job at the Playhouse/Studios. I didn't realize that in addition to the new color scheme, they also changed the signs and logo/design all together. Plus, I saw Sirena Irwin and Bill Mendieta (from ILL: Live) walking into the Playhouse, but was unable to talk to them. Below are a few pictures of the new playhouse and the mural.

Great pictures, thanks for posting them

GEORGEOUS; thanks for sharing; please send us a re-cap on your time at the Festival; we all love those; each member's perspective on content, numbers, meetings, fun, etc. Thanks....JK

Today's Post-Journal offerings:

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Lucy Comedy Fest Begins Today With Meet-And-Greet Event, by Ryan Atkins - “The opening ceremony for the Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, officially kicks off this morning at 10:00 a.m. The Festival, which has been a mainstay in Jamestown for years, consistently draws visitors from around the country. and, this year, a slew of new additions and old favorites look to bring in crowds yet again. Wanda Clark, former secretary of many years to Lucille Ball, will be holding a meet-and-greet event at 10:00 a.m. at the Jamestown Gateway Train Station. A 'hometown tour' will leave from the Lucille Ball-Desi Arnaz Center at 11 a.m., followed by lunch with Wanda Clark in the Tropicana Room, at noon, followed by nearly continuous events for the weekend, wrapping up Sunday, with a two-hour cruise on the Summer Wind around Chautauqua Lake, departing at 9:30 a.m.,” published this date in 2013.

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - WRFA Partners With Lucy-Desi Center for Funny Oral History Project, by Dusten Rader - “WRFA-LP Jamestown has partnered with the Lucy-Desi Center for Comedy on an oral history project that aims to preserve the “Laughter in Our Lives”. During this year's annual Lucille Ball Comedy Festival, scheduled for today through Sunday, Jason Sample, WRFA 'radio personality and organizer for the project', will be at the Jamestown Gateway Train Station to listen to and record funny stories told by area residents and visitors; available from 2-5 p.m., Friday and Saturday, from 1-5 p.m.,” published this date in 2013.

Jamestown

Thursday, August 1

5.58 p.m.

Day one has been wonderful so far. Well, on the most part, but more on that later.

The day began with Wanda’s Meet and Greet at the newly restored Jamestown Train Station. The main lobby is absolutely beautiful on the inside. The rest, however, is not much to speak about. At least, not yet.

The train station seems to be “Lucy Fest Central” this weekend including the festival box office, silent auction, some giftware tables – and sitting in the centre of the room this morning was the lovely Wanda Clark! Talk about a piece de resistance!

She is just as wonderful as ever and is becoming a whiz at the iPad. She had lots of great pictures to share. Wanda was stationed in front of the beautiful painting of Lucy which was on “loan” for the occasion from the Inn formerly known as Holiday. And there was a moment where Wanda recognized the ring Lucy was wearing in the portrait…on her own finger! So there was a great photo opportunity right there. Soon, a big stack of old stationary from Lucille Ball Productions appeared – the sheets were sold for $15 each and Wanda was able to sign them.

It was great to see that old painting again as it had not been on display last year, and I was surprised to see Lucy Carmichael’s “Little Old Lady” costume on display right beside it. I haven’t seen that on show in many, many years. Rounding the corner of the central display, Lucy’s fur collared post-show gown from Lucy & George Burns was on display, as was the nude Danny Galuppi painting, a gown Lucy wore to a fundraiser in the late 70s, her yellow jacket from Yours, Mine & Ours, and a black dress which was apparently from the Kennedy Centre Honours…but it didn’t seem to match the actual outfit.

After that, it was another welcome dose of Wanda – this time Lunch in the Tropicana Room, hosted by the wonderful TV writer T. Faye Griffin. I didn’t know much about her before this, but now I’d like to know much more. It is nice to see events hosted again by people who really know their Lucy stuff – and she’s a veritable Lucy expert who can think very quickly on her feet.

It was actually a palatable (and identifiable) lunch (Yankee Pot Roast) and Wanda told great stories about getting her job for Lucy, spoke about Gale, Viv, Mary Wickes – her brief time working for Victoria Principal, and some of the guest stars who eventually appeared with Lucy, such as Danny Kaye, The Burtons, and Claude Akins.

The third event was a sneak peek of I Love Lucy Live on Stage. I’m not sure what Joey was talking about, but I was very impressed with what I saw. It was just a flavour of the whole stage show with Serena, the actress portraying Lucy, and Bill playing Ricky doing an abbreviated version of The Benefit. They were fantastic – Bill particularly nailed the accent. Afterwards, there was a Q&A and it was clear they have really grown to love and appreciate the two characters they are playing (they were keen to stress they are playing the Ricardos rather than the Arnazes). It was interesting to note that “Lucy” is good friends with Paula Stewart well before I Love Lucy: Live on Stage was even an idea. She wasn’t all that familiar with ILL but Paula gave her a box set encouraging her to watch the show because she reminded Paula so much of Lucy. I was somewhat looking forward to seeing the show when it gets to Toronto but after this appetizer, I can’t wait for the main course.

Following I Love Lucy: Live on Stage was an event which shall live in infamy.

WHEN LUCY FANS ATTACK (A.K.A. The I Love Lucy Trivia Contest.) :lucyshock:

I have never seen anything quite like this and the behaviour of these people was just…Well, I don’t know how to adequately describe it, but I hope poor T. Faye had a flask with her and drained it very quickly afterwards. It was complete chaos. It was done like a high school pop quiz, which didn’t work last time (not quite sure why they tried it again) and it was a “pass to your partner for marking” kind of a deal. People were getting very insulted – INSULTED!! – when they were eliminated and all hell broke loose.

There was almost a brawl.

The documentary filmmakers who were here last year were on hand once again and I’m sorry to say this event did not paint Lucy Fans in the best of lights. But – they got pure gold for their doc!

Gary Peters’ art seminar is on right now, but I had to come back to the hotel to regroup.

Up next is a night of standup comedy at the Reg Lenna featuring Tammy Pascateli who performed last year. She was a riot then, so I’m looking forward to this show.

I'm glad the day has been (mostly) great so far, Brock! Thanks for keeping us updated. Just yesterday I was wondering what happened to that great Lucy painting. I'm glad to hear it's on display this year.

It was actually a palatable (and identifiable) lunch

This I don't believe.

Archived