"I Love Lucy" DVD Release(s) For 2013

Little Stevie

Hiya. I'm Little Stevie and I'm a huge Lucy fan who is posting for the very first time. So here goes:

Thomas Watson has posted in his Lucyfan newsletter an interesting bit of "I Love Lucy" dvd news.

http://www.lucyfan.com/stillweek120911.html

Quote:

As I mentioned in my earlier newsletter, CBS Home Entertainment is repackaging its I Love Lucy DVD releases -- the new artwork is featured above. Each set will be packaged in a single multi-disc plastic jewel-box case, similar to those currently being use on CHE's releases of The Lucy Show.

The new releases are scheduled to hit retail outlets in two waves: Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 will be released Tuesday, October 9th, and Seasons 5, 6 and 7-8-9 a month later, on November 6th.

Included in each single-season set are virtually the same discs as were released in the 2009 Full Series Box Set (aka "The Whole McGillicuddy"). No content or design changes have been made to those discs.

In fact, the only set to be different from previous single-season releases is Season One, which was remastered and had additional "special features" added for that 2009 full-series release. This will be the first time those discs will be available on a single-season basis.

There were rumors afloat that the set containing Seasons 7, 8 and 9 (the "Lucy-Desi" hour shows) would also be remastered, but that is not the case. CBS hopes to do a deluxe edition of this set -- perhaps on Blu-ray -- sometime in 2013, and the shows will be remastered for that.

Hiya. I'm Little Stevie and I'm a huge Lucy fan who is posting for the very first time. So here goes:

Thomas Watson has posted in his Lucyfan newsletter an interesting bit of "I Love Lucy" dvd news.

http://www.lucyfan.com/stillweek120911.html

Quote:

As I mentioned in my earlier newsletter, CBS Home Entertainment is repackaging its I Love Lucy DVD releases -- the new artwork is featured above. Each set will be packaged in a single multi-disc plastic jewel-box case, similar to those currently being use on CHE's releases of The Lucy Show.

The new releases are scheduled to hit retail outlets in two waves: Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 will be released Tuesday, October 9th, and Seasons 5, 6 and 7-8-9 a month later, on November 6th.

Included in each single-season set are virtually the same discs as were released in the 2009 Full Series Box Set (aka "The Whole McGillicuddy"). No content or design changes have been made to those discs.

In fact, the only set to be different from previous single-season releases is Season One, which was remastered and had additional "special features" added for that 2009 full-series release. This will be the first time those discs will be available on a single-season basis.

There were rumors afloat that the set containing Seasons 7, 8 and 9 (the "Lucy-Desi" hour shows) would also be remastered, but that is not the case. CBS hopes to do a deluxe edition of this set -- perhaps on Blu-ray -- sometime in 2013, and the shows will be remastered for that.

Welcome!!!

Hey Brock, Im confused... It says seasons 5,6 and 7,8, 9 are to be released in November but I already bought them at Target. Plus, I cant find them online anywhere, what is the whole deal with these dates?

My understanding is Target had an exclusive deal to sell Seasons 5 and 6 and the LDCH sets before everyone else.

My understanding is Target had an exclusive deal to sell Seasons 5 and 6 and the LDCH sets before everyone else.

Yep, that's correct, Brock. Target bought a one-month "exclusivity" on the last three sets... Everyone will have them November 6th...

Are there actually any official hints about blu-ray or just speculation?

Right now it's just a big "maybe." I think the powers-that-be are examining the entire DVD/Blu-ray market, and weighing their options.

I was reading an article recently about yet another series, but the questions raised are valid to this I LOVE LUCY discussion. The article asked:

(1) If all the episodes have all been remastered and released on DVD, accompanied by most of the great "extras," would fans be interested in buying the same material all over again on Blu-ray, just to get a marginally better picture?

TJW Comment: I am not sure... Oddly enough, the fact that all the I LOVE LUCY, THE LUCY SHOW and HERE'S LUCY sets have had wonderful "extras" makes doing a Blu-ray even more problematic. There ain't a lot of other "extras" lying around to be added to these discs. (Lucy's appearances on other people's programs are possible, but not always available.)

(2) Even with Blu-ray, there is only so much space on a disc. Should a Blu-ray release have all the same material as the DVD release, with new material added (if available) -- as opposed to new "extras" replacing old?

TJW Comment: This is tricky. I like seeing things I don't already have... but I don't want to have to keep two sets of a given title, just to have all the "extras." (Various movie releases have done this... A classic film will be released on DVD with wonderful extras; then when a Blu-ray comes out, it has different extras. In order to have all the extras, you have to have both sets -- and remember which has what...)

(3) Should the Blu-ray sets be re-issued on a season-by-season basis (like the DVDs), or should one massive "Full Series Set" be offered instead? Both "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Friends" are currently using the latter option. This allows fans to get the whole enchilada (or, in our case, "the whole McGillicuddy") all at once in Blu-ray, but it means forking over something like $250-300 to get it...

TJW Comment: I like the idea of the whole series set, but don't like the price tag that goes with it... I'm guessing we'd have to settle for the "one season-at-a-time" pattern, but who wants to wait two or three years for all of this?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks...

TJW

1. The picture quality, if properly restored in HD from the original film elements, won't be just "marginally" better, it will be much much better. See what The Twilight Zone looks like on blu-ray, a comparable type of series.

2. For extras, again, see The Twilight Zone. The blu-rays kept all the extras and added new ones (isolated scores, radio dramas, audio commentaries, more vintage stuff).

3. Once again, I think the model used to release The Twilight Zone is probably best: release each season separately, maybe in accelerated fashion (I don't recall the span between The Twilight Zone seasons, but I think it was pretty short). Then a complete set can also be released. The entire series right away is definitely too rich for most people, which is why I won't be getting Dick Van Dyke, unless it's very heavily discounted.

Archived