Top TLS episodes from each season

YOU are right Claude.. the special features were a bit skimpy.. however, there may not be much left to give us.. HOPEFULLY, the last season of HERE'S LUCY will prove to be a huge special feature bonanza!

I'm hoping for Lucy in Nashville for THAT one. And maybe a documentary on the producer morty goldapper.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YOU are right Claude.. the special features were a bit skimpy.. however, there may not be much left to give us.. HOPEFULLY, the last season of HERE'S LUCY will prove to be a huge special feature bonanza!

You are right on both counts: we'd pretty well exhausted the vaults in the way of extras for THE LUCY SHOW: Season 6... but I have heard through the grapevine that there are lots of goodies added to the final HERE'S LUCY release...

You are right on both counts: we'd pretty well exhausted the vaults in the way of extras for THE LUCY SHOW: Season 6... but I have heard through the grapevine that there are lots of goodies added to the final HERE'S LUCY release...

Well, that's certainly welcome news. And don't go thinking i was not thrilled with the Lucy show season six special features, it's just that you have spoiled us so far and i can never get enough. Your entire work on this series has been incredible and for that, as we've said many times before, we are eternally grateful and appreciative.

One more THIN, i think this Lucy bonanza has hit us in a fast and furious way so looking back years from now, we'll be quite satisfied with what was given us fans in these season by season special features which are really treasures we never would have seen otherwise. While i watched season six, i found myself yearning for time to watch again the ones given us in the previous five seasons.

One more THIN, i think this Lucy bonanza has hit us in a fast and furious way ...

I think both the CBS and MPI teams would agree... Everyone waited so long to have ANY non-"I Love Lucy" TV material released, then in 2009 it was like a dam burst, and suddenly everything started coming out... Now both THE LUCY SHOW and HERE'S LUCY are finished (or finishing), the latter-day specials are out... And suddenly the well is going to dry up again...

Like you say, though, at least we have them now, and can go back and watch everything whenever we wish...

Would love to do a LUCY EVERYTHING ELSE set, and even proposed such a thing to CBS about a year ago, but it would be VERY problematic... The three problems are (1) the fact that most of her guest appearances on other stars' shows are owned by a zillion individuals, each of whom would have to be compensated; (2) a lot of her appearances involve musical numbers -- and the music is so blasted expensive; and (3) Lucy is identified most -- at least by the general public -- as "Lucy." They LIKE seeing her do other things occasionally, but not as a "steady diet." (In other words, they like seeing some of the non-Lucy items on the various LUCY sets, but would not necessarily buy a complete set of Lucy doing non-Lucy material, especially if it were an expensive set)... I've not given up entirely on the idea, but accomplishing it will not be easy...

Tom, who owns The Good Years? Would that be in the hands of CBS entirely, or would Walter Lord's estate have a stake in it? I would imagine most of the music used in the special would be in public domain. Out of curiosity, what kinds of hoops would you, as a DVD producer, have to go through to get this released? Always an intriguing subject!

Tom, how long does it take to restore one episode, as well as special features that were probably thought to never be restored and are in poorer quality than the episodes?

Great question... but one that deserves a thought-out answer... Lemme try to compose something that makes sense but doesn't ramble too much... Bottom line: every element is different. Sometimes a show is nearly pristine and needs no restoration work; other times the master neg is a mess, good prints are missing, and a ton of work needs to be done... Again, will get back to you with a better answer soon...

Tom, who owns The Good Years? Would that be in the hands of CBS entirely, or would Walter Lord's estate have a stake in it? I would imagine most of the music used in the special would be in public domain. Out of curiosity, what kinds of hoops would you, as a DVD producer, have to go through to get this released? Always an intriguing subject!

CBS owns the special, but there are other "rights" concerns as well... I TRIED (very hard) to include this in LUCY: SEASON 6 but hit a lot of legal snags, which I cannot get into here...

(Not all the music is public domain, by the way: Lucy's big number, "Everybody's Doin' It Now" is by Irving Berlin...)

This show is high on my LUCY: EVERYTHING ELSE list, but, again, might be very problematic...

I think both the CBS and MPI teams would agree... Everyone waited so long to have ANY non-"I Love Lucy" TV material released, then in 2009 it was like a dam burst, and suddenly everything started coming out... Now both THE LUCY SHOW and HERE'S LUCY are finished (or finishing), the latter-day specials are out... And suddenly the well is going to dry up again...

Like you say, though, at least we have them now, and can go back and watch everything whenever we wish...

Would love to do a LUCY EVERYTHING ELSE set, and even proposed such a thing to CBS about a year ago, but it would be VERY problematic... The three problems are (1) the fact that most of her guest appearances on other stars' shows are owned by a zillion individuals, each of whom would have to be compensated; (2) a lot of her appearances involve musical numbers -- and the music is so blasted expensive; and (3) Lucy is identified most -- at least by the general public -- as "Lucy." They LIKE seeing her do other things occasionally, but not as a "steady diet." (In other words, they like seeing some of the non-Lucy items on the various LUCY sets, but would not necessarily buy a complete set of Lucy doing non-Lucy material, especially if it were an expensive set)... I've not given up entirely on the idea, but accomplishing it will not be easy...

What about Lucy in Nashville? As for the sets of other things, how about just concentrating on Lucy with Dinah, or the best of Lucy talk shows and just show Dinah, Merv, Mike and Johnny, although i understand Johnny and Merv as well as Dick Cavett have already done special discs, Dick being the only one who showed HER. I envision just random clips, that would not include any expensive music, like those we've already gotten years ago, i forget what they were called but they showed the old appearances on the Hope show, and such. I'd certainly buy, LUCY ON QUIZ SHOWS, LUCY ON TALK SHOWS AND LUCY ON OTHER PEOPLE'S SHOWS. They could be cut to omit music rights, but there is such a wealth of material here, LUCY ON AWARD SHOWS, LUCY TRIBUTES (Variety Clubs, Kennedy Center Honors, TV Hall of Fame to mention just three).

I wish they included more skits with Lucy on The Carol Burnett Show, besides just the Rent-a-Car one, for Season 6 extras.

I wish they included more skits with Lucy on The Carol Burnett Show, besides just the Rent-a-Car one, for Season 6 extras.

True, me too, but they DO want Lucy to help sell Carol's shows so . . .I remembered that sketch, i know i have ONE Carol Burnett show with Lucy, maybe it's that one. Speaking of that, one of the very best specials ever made with Lucy, as a guest on Carol's Carol Plus Two, with Zero Mostel, which i have and enjoy periodically, wish that one would come out on DVD. It served as Carol's pilot for her long running variety show.

Me, too... But Carol's company was already under contract with other companies for the release of her shows, so we could use only three minutes of material. (Carol's people, however, were very nice and accomodating...)

True, me too, but they DO want Lucy to help sell Carol's shows so . . .I remembered that sketch, i know i have ONE Carol Burnett show with Lucy, maybe it's that one. Speaking of that, one of the very best specials ever made with Lucy, as a guest on Carol's Carol Plus Two, with Zero Mostel, which i have and enjoy periodically, wish that one would come out on DVD. It served as Carol's pilot for her long running variety show.

I have heard rumors that "Carol + 2" and a couple more of her early specials are going to be included on a new DVD release... It was originally planned as a fourth quarter (2012) release, but has been delayed...

Bob Banner's company has just released "The Garry Moore Show Presents A Carol Burnett Christmas," which includes three episodes from the early 1960s, all relating to Christmas.

So at least these companies are waking up to the fact that there is a market for these vintage television programs!

Bob Banner's company has just released "The Garry Moore Show Presents A Carol Burnett Christmas," which includes three episodes from the early 1960s, all relating to Christmas.

Is Bob Banner still alive? Bob was involved in the Carol Burnett Show the first four seasons--coincidentally the seasons Lucy made her 4 appearances. After that they parted and Carol owned the show which is why the collections and "CB and Friends" featured shows from 1971 on. Was there some 'bad blood' between Carol and Banner that makes these shows unavailable?

When these musical variety contracts were set up, I doubt those involved ever envisioned the trouble they would cause in the future. Variety series were rarely shown past their original runs (if EVER) and who could have envisioned the DVD market? Too bad the Lucy Carter-like CBS secretary whose blunder allowed the copyright renewals of all those 60s sitcoms to lapse wasn't in charge of variety show details.

At what point did music rights become so expensive? Clearing the rights, especially to Irving Berlin's music, seems very problematic now. There was a day when these tunes could be slipped into shows, when other music would have sufficed so I assume it wasn't a big deal "back then". Case in point "Lucy Gets In Pictures" features "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody", a Berlin tune, though the actual melody line does not stand out-anything would have worked. These picky purists who complain about this or that being cut from shows, or other music substituted are not considering that the cost of obtaining these music rights is often the make-or-break factor that determines whether shows are released at all. Instead of carping about what's missing, they should be grateful that someone took the trouble to attempt a solution to this issue. I assume that "Pretty Girl" was also used in the Opening Night recreation of "Gets in Pictures". Another tune was expertly substituted and no one was the wiser.

I was able to skim through "Good Years" several years ago at some facility. This was probably a kinescope, because I detected some shaky edits indicating that the original was done on videotape at a time when editing was done with a razor blade! The special gets slammed, I think unjustly because it seems very interesting from a historic perspective. Being under viewing time constraints, I had to zip past the non-Lucy segments. These "Good Years" depicted were 1900-1914. I don't know what made them good, but 1914 was the beginnings of Europe descent in to WW1, although the US didn't enter until 1917. (Our involvement was a mere year and a half.)

And just for a sobering perspective: those fourteen Good Years looked back on in 1961 when the special was shot (for a Jan. 1962 airing) would be the equivalent of 1951 to 1965 if the special was done in 2012---which were definitely 'good years' for Lucille Ball's career!

CBS owns the special, but there are other "rights" concerns as well... I TRIED (very hard) to include this in LUCY: SEASON 6 but hit a lot of legal snags, which I cannot get into here...

(Not all the music is public domain, by the way: Lucy's big number, "Everybody's Doin' It Now" is by Irving Berlin...)

This show is high on my LUCY: EVERYTHING ELSE list, but, again, might be very problematic...

Ah, thanks! Very interesting. Who do we direct our letters to help get Lucy: Everything Else underway? I'm fully prepared to deploy my left hand (and foot) for the letter writing campaign.

On a similar topic: Has anything been considered by way of putting the Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse out on DVD either as season sets or in "Best Ofs"? That would be incredible.

Is Bob Banner still alive? Bob was involved in the Carol Burnett Show the first four seasons--coincidentally the seasons Lucy made her 4 appearances. After that they parted and Carol owned the show which is why the collections and "CB and Friends" featured shows from 1971 on. Was there some 'bad blood' between Carol and Banner that makes these shows unavailable?

Bob Banner died last year.

Archived