Top TLS episodes from each season

At what point did music rights become so expensive? Clearing the rights, especially to Irving Berlin's music, seems very problematic now. There was a day when these tunes could be slipped into shows, when other music would have sufficed so I assume it wasn't a big deal "back then". Case in point "Lucy Gets In Pictures" features "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody", a Berlin tune, though the actual melody line does not stand out-anything would have worked. These picky purists who complain about this or that being cut from shows, or other music substituted are not considering that the cost of obtaining these music rights is often the make-or-break factor that determines whether shows are released at all. Instead of carping about what's missing, they should be grateful that someone took the trouble to attempt a solution to this issue. I assume that "Pretty Girl" was also used in the Opening Night recreation of "Gets in Pictures". Another tune was expertly substituted and no one was the wiser.

This makes me appriciate all the dozens and dozens of musical scores that DID get cleared for the dvd releases of all 3 shows. I remember being pleased when "Good Girls Don't Cry", sung by Lucy & Vivian was intact on The Lucy Show episode, Lucy Is A Chaperone.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a similar topic: Has anything been considered by way of putting the Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse out on DVD either as season sets or in "Best Ofs"? That would be incredible.

Another of my "pet projects." Unfortunately, anthology shows have never been very successful... DESILU PLAYHOUSE was a true anthology, in that one week was a comedy, the next a Western, the next a melodrama, etc.

The only anthologies that have done well recently are those that are themed -- i.e., THE TWILIGHT ZONE, THE OUTER LIMITS, etc., in which all the shows are of a given "genre."

But, trust me, I'm working on it!

Bob Banner's company has just released "The Garry Moore Show Presents A Carol Burnett Christmas," which includes three episodes from the early 1960s, all relating to Christmas.

So at least these companies are waking up to the fact that there is a market for these vintage television programs!

Oh yes, every year i scramble to find any show that has a new DVD featuring Christmas episodes, i have quite a few of them, they're never that funny but rather more sentimental and always enjoyable in the memories they bring forth. Of course i lost many in the Beta/VHS wars but am starting again to collect them now on DVD which will last till the day i croak, thank God. :sid:

Not to mention the other times it was an actor NOT recognized like Milton Berle, Ginger Rogers or even Joan Crawford.

To be fair, Ginger Rogers was not going to reveal her ego trip by going to a Ginger Rogers Film Festival as Ginger Rogers and raided Spike's closet for a (rather unflattering) disguise.

The WORST example of this is the revered Burtons episode in which Lucy does not recognize her plumber as Richard Burton despite that voice, reciting Shakespeare no less, and NO attempt at a disguise other than "Sam The Plumber" coveralls, and the fact that she's there to see....Richard Burton.

The WORST example of this is the revered Burtons episode in which Lucy does not recognize her plumber as Richard Burton despite that voice, reciting Shakespeare no less, and NO attempt at a disguise other than "Sam The Plumber" coveralls, and the fact that she's there to see....Richard Burton.

T O U C H E, on all points.

As i watched the Crawford one, i could hear the nervousness in her voice, you can even tell at the end how relieved she is that the whole thing is over. Did you notice her doing her lines so loud in the speakeasy sketch? Guess boss lady told her.

She was probably wearing 2 pairs of Depends that night. You don't mess with The Lucy.

As i watched the Crawford one, i could hear the nervousness in her voice, you can even tell at the end how relieved she is that the whole thing is over. Did you notice her doing her lines so loud in the speakeasy sketch? Guess boss lady told her.

Yeah. It's hard for me to say this, but Crawford really brought down the episode for me.

You are right on both counts: we'd pretty well exhausted the vaults in the way of extras for THE LUCY SHOW: Season 6... but I have heard through the grapevine that there are lots of goodies added to the final HERE'S LUCY release...

Considering how many CBS/Paramount releases tend to skip special features for later seasons of a number of shows, I think Lucy did pretty darn well right up to the end! Thank you for your exhaustive research and including everything possible.

I'll admit I was rather bummed at first that the season 1 set didn't include any deleted footage (extended shower scene, for instance) like I Love Lucy did, but then it hit me...all deleted scenes from I Love Lucy were included in the original broadcasts and later excised, hence the 16mm backup prints. Obviously all cuts for TLS were made prior to air, so no copies remain. What a treasure trove if those snippets turned up somewhere, though...

Yeah. It's hard for me to say this, but Crawford really brought down the episode for me.

Well, she was terrified of being in front of a live audience. If you want to see her doing something really horrible, lots worse than this, try watching her the week she replaced her daughter Christina on her soap opera for a week or so. I think that was LIVE, he could hardly get the lines out.

Considering how many CBS/Paramount releases tend to skip special features for later seasons of a number of shows, I think Lucy did pretty darn well right up to the end! Thank you for your exhaustive research and including everything possible.

I'll admit I was rather bummed at first that the season 1 set didn't include any deleted footage (extended shower scene, for instance) like I Love Lucy did, but then it hit me...all deleted scenes from I Love Lucy were included in the original broadcasts and later excised, hence the 16mm backup prints. Obviously all cuts for TLS were made prior to air, so no copies remain. What a treasure trove if those snippets turned up somewhere, though...

I just wish Lucy in London had made it on to this though.

I meant Lucy in Nashville of course. I am so old and confused, this is Sitcoms Online, right? :lucydisgust::lucythrill:

Oh, thank goodness... For a minute there, I thought I was losing it!

Would love to use "Lucy Comes to Nashville" sometime, someplace... but it's a strange duck, too... Not really a "Lucy show" as much as a "Lucy appearance" on someone else's show. (She just happened to be the host.) It's owned by a company out in Nashville, and maybe they will want to release it someday on DVD...

Oh, thank goodness... For a minute there, I thought I was losing it!

Would love to use "Lucy Comes to Nashville" sometime, someplace... but it's a strange duck, too... Not really a "Lucy show" as much as a "Lucy appearance" on someone else's show. (She just happened to be the host.) It's owned by a company out in Nashville, and maybe they will want to release it someday on DVD...

Oh i know it wasn't perfect, BUT, it was so nice to see her on TV again. My copy is old and has been transferred more often than Patreus, it would be nice to see what the colors really looked like, it's sorta washed out Lucy in London like now. AND look at what you guys did with THAT one. And she did have that great comedy bit with the hick orchestra.

• 4 weeks later...

What amazes me about that episode is that the entire last scene -- which runs something like 11 minutes -- is done entirely without dialog. It's all musical pantomime -- her faces and body language do all the "talking." Fabulous performance!

You are correct: this often gets overlooked when people think of "Lucy's finest."

I agree - it really is a fabulous performance! Just watched it last night. She reminds me very much of Charlie Chaplain whilst conducting the symphony. I just marvel at her work!

Archived