The Lucy Show coming to a new Classic TV network in January 2013

mickie

Just saw this article on sitcomsonline about a new network showing classic TV. Its called Cozi and starts in January.

http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2012/10/new-classic-tv-digital-station-cozi-tv.html

We hinted on our message board earlier this week that a new over the air digital subchannel focusing on classic TV will be launching January 1, and now some info has been reported. The new network will be named Cozi TV and will be from NBCUniversal. It will be replacing digital subchannel Nonstop on the NBC Owned Television Stations. So if you're in the NBC owned markets and have Nonstop, you'll have Cozi TV come January 1. Among the series they will have at launch will include comedies like Burns & Allen, The Lucy Show, Ozzie & Harriet, Red Skelton, Groucho Marx; action dramas like Charlie's Angels, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Magnum P.I., and classic family and western series like Lassie, The Roy Rogers Show, The Lone Ranger, The Virginian, The Adventures of Kit Carson and Alias Smith and Jones, Marcus Welby, M.D., and Highway to Heaven. A few movies will be featured in the afternoons. Currently, Highway to Heaven has been airing weekdays at 12 noon on Nonstop on all NBC Owned Television Stations, so it will likely remain at 12 noon when Cozi takes over the space on Jan. 1. Nonstop was first launched in New York in March 2009 and then expanded to the other NBC Owned Television Stations in 2010 and 2011. Of the ten markets that NBC owns, nine of them have a Nonstop station, with only the Hartford market not included. Thus, chances of Cozi TV in Hartford are not certain as the other nine markets NBC owns (NY, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Washington DC, Dallas, Miami, and San Diego).

Cozi TV will join the crowded digital subchannel world that includes fellow classic TV stations like Antenna TV, MeTV, THIStv, Bounce TV and RTV. Stay tuned for the official announcement and full details, like an actual schedule, as soon as it is announced. Much more to come, so get "cozi" and comfortable!

Some more details on the possible schedule of programming:

Quote:

NBCUniversal is getting ready to turn the clock back with a new digital subchannel filled with “retro reruns” and old movies. Nothing is official yet, but from the looks of its tentative lineup, it appears to be a pale imitation of Weigel Broadcasting’s Me-TV and Tribune Broadcasting’s Antenna TV. Set to debut January 1 as COZI TV, the new network will be airing in all 10 markets with NBC-owned stations, including NBC 5 here. A working schedule, obtained Tuesday, kicks off mornings with Lassie, followed by Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, The Virginian, The Adventures of Kit Carson and Alias Smith and Jones. Middays feature Marcus Welby, M.D. and Highway to Heaven. Movies air in afternoons, followed by rotating comedies Burns & Allen, The Lucy Show, Ozzie & Harriet, Red Skelton and Groucho Marx. Prime time includes Charlie’s Angels, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman and Magnum P.I. It’s not known what the new network will replace on NBC 5’s digital tier. Station officials did not respond to calls for comment.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15786636/cozi-tv-nbc-going-retro-on-new-digital-network

Some more details on the possible schedule of programming:

Quote:

NBCUniversal is getting ready to turn the clock back with a new digital subchannel filled with “retro reruns” and old movies. Nothing is official yet, but from the looks of its tentative lineup, it appears to be a pale imitation of Weigel Broadcasting’s Me-TV and Tribune Broadcasting’s Antenna TV. Set to debut January 1 as COZI TV, the new network will be airing in all 10 markets with NBC-owned stations, including NBC 5 here. A working schedule, obtained Tuesday, kicks off mornings with Lassie, followed by Roy Rogers, The Lone Ranger, The Virginian, The Adventures of Kit Carson and Alias Smith and Jones. Middays feature Marcus Welby, M.D. and Highway to Heaven. Movies air in afternoons, followed by rotating comedies Burns & Allen, The Lucy Show, Ozzie & Harriet, Red Skelton and Groucho Marx. Prime time includes Charlie’s Angels, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman and Magnum P.I. It’s not known what the new network will replace on NBC 5’s digital tier. Station officials did not respond to calls for comment.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/15786636/cozi-tv-nbc-going-retro-on-new-digital-network

I read elsewhere that some Nonstop programming MAY air in the late evening on Cozi. The original plan was to air reruns during the day and Nonstop lifestyle programming in primetime. One of the original names for the channel was Bob TV.

When I first saw this announcement, I thought "yes!" Then I actually read through it and saw two words that spell trouble: "Universal television." In 2007, they announced The Chiller Channel for Direct-TV, again a Universal television channel. All the PR blurbs said it would be all horror, 24 hours a day. Television shows were announced, like "Twin Peaks" and "Friday the 13th" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." They also said movies would be running, as well--just like the announcement for this channel.

Then, the channel premiered. Right away, there was a problem. They began with "Tales From the Crypt," a syndicated "horror" show from the 1990s. Think of it as their version of "Highway to Heaven." Not only did they show Tales From the Crypt, they ran it ENDLESSLY, as a marathon. Only a marathon that lasted several days. It lasted so long that they began repeating episodes, three days into the premiere of this new "horror" channel. There were no ads to speak of between shows, just promos for other shows. And the promos were repeated ENDLESSLY--the same ones, over and over, until it became almost mind-numbing. Then, the movies started. They began with "Creepshow II" and "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Demon Seed," which they proceded to run endlessly, over and over, until all the dialogue could be memorized by anyone numb enough to keep watching.

The Chiller Channel was highly touted on message boards dealing with horror. But as the weeks wore on, I saw the enthusiasm leaking out of them like air from a balloon. Now, five years later, Chiller (as it's now known) is virtually unwatchable and buried on cable TV. No one mentions it anymore. They stopped showing classic films and now show new, cheap horrors made by independent filmmakers--all heavily edited to take out anyone even remotely disturbing or frightening. So much for the chills from "Chiller."

And now I'm reading about Cozi, or whatever it's called. Believe me, once you see the first season of The Lucy Show repeated 12 times, it'll take the shine off the channel. Of course, if you like seeing endless reruns of Highway to Heaven and the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, this just might be for you. For me, I'm sticking to MeTV, which is also showing repeats...but at least they're not showing garbage like "Highway to Heaven."

When I first saw this announcement, I thought "yes!" Then I actually read through it and saw two words that spell trouble: "Universal television." In 2007, they announced The Chiller Channel for Direct-TV, again a Universal television channel. All the PR blurbs said it would be all horror, 24 hours a day. Television shows were announced, like "Twin Peaks" and "Friday the 13th" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." They also said movies would be running, as well--just like the announcement for this channel.

Then, the channel premiered. Right away, there was a problem. They began with "Tales From the Crypt," a syndicated "horror" show from the 1990s. Think of it as their version of "Highway to Heaven." Not only did they show Tales From the Crypt, they ran it ENDLESSLY, as a marathon. Only a marathon that lasted several days. It lasted so long that they began repeating episodes, three days into the premiere of this new "horror" channel. There were no ads to speak of between shows, just promos for other shows. And the promos were repeated ENDLESSLY--the same ones, over and over, until it became almost mind-numbing. Then, the movies started. They began with "Creepshow II" and "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Demon Seed," which they proceded to run endlessly, over and over, until all the dialogue could be memorized by anyone numb enough to keep watching.

The Chiller Channel was highly touted on message boards dealing with horror. But as the weeks wore on, I saw the enthusiasm leaking out of them like air from a balloon. Now, five years later, Chiller (as it's now known) is virtually unwatchable and buried on cable TV. No one mentions it anymore. They stopped showing classic films and now show new, cheap horrors made by independent filmmakers--all heavily edited to take out anyone even remotely disturbing or frightening. So much for the chills from "Chiller."

And now I'm reading about Cozi, or whatever it's called. Believe me, once you see the first season of The Lucy Show repeated 12 times, it'll take the shine off the channel. Of course, if you like seeing endless reruns of Highway to Heaven and the Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, this just might be for you. For me, I'm sticking to MeTV, which is also showing repeats...but at least they're not showing garbage like "Highway to Heaven."

well i hope its not that and Yes, I love my ME-TV, wish they would run The Lucy Show or Here's Lucy

Im hoping we get it here in NYC. We just got ME-TV, have Antenna TV and TV Land.

mickie: Please let us know, and what channel; I'm in NY, as well; but, 500 miles away from you, as far west and south as you can get by about 45 miles (east of Erie, PA) and 11-15 miles (north of Sugar Grove, PA); so, it will no doubt be on channels I get. We have Time Warner Cable; how about you? Thanks. Love, JK

Update on COZI channel, although no mention of Lucy in this article: http://blog.sitcomsonline.com/2012/10/fox-midseason-2013-schedule-nbc.html

Thanks for keeping us up on this new way to see TLS and other great classics.... I was too busy raising little ones, and working around the clock to that end to watch much tv. JK

Thanks for keeping us up on this new way to see TLS and other great classics.... I was too busy raising little ones, and working around the clock to that end to watch much tv. JK

I will post as soon as I hear anything. I also have Time Warner, so I am hoping it will be on a digital channel. When Antenna TV launched here, it was available on Channel 11.4, so for people who did not have cable, they got the channel. We did get it thru Time Warner a week later.

So true, we have the exact same situation heere in Canada with this new Comedy Gold channel, same damned shows over and over from the first two seasons of ILL, annoying as hell, i'm now skipping some for regular programming as they play at 8 and 8:30, i can skip them as i can also see the same shows at Midnight or noon and yes, when they do the marathons, same shows again. :lucydisgust:

• 1 month later...

The Cozi network debuted yesterday, December 20th. Here in NY is on over the air on NBC Channel 4.2, on Time Warner Cable Channel 161 on RCN Advanced Fiber Optic 189 and on Verizon FiOS TV - Queens 460

Here is the link for the web site where you can check and see where you can see Cozi in you area: http://www.cozitv.com/

From what I have seen on the schedule, they will be showing several Lucy Shows starting on Thursday (12/27) from 3-6pm, on Friday (12/28) 6-7pm and then late night around 3 am. I am not sure when they will show daily or not. I thought it was planned for the afternoons, but I have not seen any confirmation for that as of yet.

The Cozi network debuted yesterday, December 20th. Here in NY is on over the air on NBC Channel 4.2, on Time Warner Cable Channel 161 on RCN Advanced Fiber Optic 189 and on Verizon FiOS TV - Queens 460

Here is the link for the web site where you can check and see where you can see Cozi in you area: http://www.cozitv.com/

From what I have seen on the schedule, they will be showing several Lucy Shows starting on Thursday (12/27) from 3-6pm, on Friday (12/28) 6-7pm and then late night around 3 am. I am not sure when they will show daily or not. I thought it was planned for the afternoons, but I have not seen any confirmation for that as of yet.

Never mind that, you have the most beautiful Lucy avatar i have ever seen, anywhere.

Hopefully we get it here!

COZI has quite an "interesting" (!) schedule to say the least. WIth TLS buried amongst many other dissimiliar programs, I'm not sure who's behind programming this thing but there certainly seems to be no rhyme or reason!

Here however is what they've scheduled (according to zap2it.com listings, anyway) for the next week or so for The Lucy Show -- and yes, it appears it's only the public domain eps (hopefully, just for now) and they certainly aren't concerned about showing them in order! (But at least they're premiering with one of the best/funniest Season 5 episodes! :) )

Also, it appears there's going to be a 3 hour post-New Year's marathon; however, they didn't list which episodes they plan to show! Weird. :lucydisgust:

Here's the schedule (Note: for LA area time & channel)

Lucy and the Ring a Ding Ring

S05, E05 (First Aired: Oct. 10, 1966)

Mrs. Mooney's diamond ring gets stuck on Lucy's finger.

Thu 12/27 12:00PM-12:30PM

Lucy Gets a Roommate

S05, E07 (First Aired: Oct. 31, 1966)

Lucy takes in an aggravating roommate (Carol Burnett).

Thu 12/27 12:30PM-1:00PM

Lucy and Carol in Palm Springs

S05, E08 (First Aired: Nov. 7, 1966)

Lucy feigns illness for time off to go to Palm Springs.

Thu 12/27 1:00PM-1:30PM

Lucy and the Submarine

S05, E02 (First Aired: Sep. 19, 1966)

Lucy sneaks aboard a submarine to find Mr. Mooney.

Thu 12/27 1:30PM-2:00PM

Lucy Gets Caught in the Draft

S05, E09 (First Aired: Nov. 14, 1966)

Lucy is drafted into the Marines.

Thu 12/27 2:00PM-2:30PM Ch. 304

Lucy and Paul Winchell

S05, E04 (First Aired: Oct. 3, 1966)

Lucy asks ventriloquist Paul Winchell to perform.

Thu 12/27 2:30PM-3:00PM

Fri 12/28 3:00PM-3:30PM

Lucy and the Submarine

Fri 12/28 3:30PM-4:00PM

Sat 12/29 12:00AM-12:30AM

Lucy and the Submarine

Sat 12/29 12:30AM-1:00AM

No Episode Title

(First Aired: Oct. 1, 1962)

Widow Lucy Carmichael raises her kids on the West Coast.

Thu 1/3

12:00PM-12:30PM

12:30PM-1:00PM

1:00PM-1:30PM

1:30PM-2:00PM

2:00PM-2:30PM

2:30PM-3:00PM

3:00PM-3:30PM

3:30PM-4:00PM

Sat 1/5

12:00AM-12:30AM

12:30AM-1:00AM

Im hoping we get it here in NYC. We just got ME-TV, have Antenna TV and TV Land.

Just this morning found ME-TV!!!! YAYYYYYYYY! Now, if I had times for Lucy shows, I'd be in heaven!

Anyone here have times; my TV GUIDE channel is the only one I have until I can figure out what I've done wrong with my remote; it won't let me in to its GUIDE, showing the larger number channels. Time Warner: I go up to 916; some of the in-between channels from 195 down to about 100, I have to do the hard way; my TV GUIDE channel, #21, only goes up to 95; I'm somewhere in between; and it's driving me nuts.

Just this morning found ME-TV!!!! YAYYYYYYYY! Now, if I had times for Lucy shows, I'd be in heaven!

Anyone here have times; my TV GUIDE channel is the only one I have until I can figure out what I've done wrong with my remote; it won't let me in to its GUIDE, showing the larger number channels. Time Warner: I go up to 916; some of the in-between channels from 195 down to about 100, I have to do the hard way; my TV GUIDE channel, #21, only goes up to 95; I'm somewhere in between; and it's driving me nuts.

Joyce, I don't know where you are exactly but using Buffalo NY as the city I looked up this channel as it airs in that area on Time Warner on Channel 5 (WBBZDT), as well as Antenna TV, which is on channel 114 (WGRZ-DT2). Hope this helps!

Give it a whirl! ;)

If you read through that schedule carefully, you can already see that it's peppered with repeats. Eventually, they'll schedule a marathon of, say, Ozzie and Harriett. Then, you'll see most of the early episodes and probably none of the ones where Ricky and Dave marry and move out. And, of course, they'll follow with another marathon, say, The Beverly Hillbillies. Follwowed by another marathon and another marathon. Then, when all the marathons have been exhausted, they'll show the Ozzie and Harriett marathon again.

This is exactly how Chiller Channel started. It eventually evolved from a station that showed "classic" and not so classic horror themed material to a channel that now shows independent and direct-to-DVD horror films, starring no name actors. It took three years for that to happen.

Archived