Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

I actually LOVE "Lucy Writes a Play," and most of the season 1 episodes. I just loved the cartoon-ish feel it had because they weren't used to being seen on TV, only heard on the radio.

And in TLS, I LOVE "Lucy and the runaway butterfly," "Lucy visits the White House," (especially the diner scene with Alan "Fred Flintstone" Reed) "Lucy & Viv take up chemistry" and "Lucy & Viv Play Softball." I also like a lot of season 4 episodes, but also agree that season 2 is kind of hit and miss for me. Yup there's several gems but it really isn't my favorite.

Not much to say about HL. So far, all the seasons are great. The first one was all right, I quite enjoyed the pilot with Lucy singing and dancing at the party in a brunette wig. Lucie even agreed that she finds it very painful to watch herself play Kim because she was trying too hard. I think I like season 5 of HL the best. The shows just had much more warmth to them and Uncle Harry was a bit easier on Lucy, especially in "Lucy and Uncle Harry's Pot." Plus, I loved Lucy's longer wig. But I've barely seen any S6 episodes so once I get the dvd I'll probably change my opinion. She used the shorter wig more in season 6 but I know she went back to the longer one towards the end which makes it pretty obvious that it's a wig.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here's something really controversial:

I personally feel that all the travel the Ricardo's did in the later years was overdone. I mean, The Golden Girls spent 7 years in that house and rarely left it for more than one episode at a time. Were the writers really that pressed to think of more NYC storylines? Were they really that bored after just a few short years? I mean, the Ricardos barely had one season in their bigger apartment before they were flitting off all across the globe. Then Lucy wanted the characters to move to the country because she was sick of that apartment set? They barely spent any time filming on it after season 3!

It was handled very well, to be sure, and Hollywood and Europe did spawn some enjoyable episodes (though I find most overrated), but especially by the Europe trip it seemed they were trying a bit too hard to me. Had it stuck around until the moon landing they probably would've had the Ricardos and the Mertzes traveling the galaxy by the end of the series and setting up interplanetary colonies. If they were that fickle about globetrotting who knows what would've happened!

Not to mention Lucy's furniture changes! Fidelman was right in The Lucy Book that Lucy Ricardo had more new couches in 6 years than most people have in a lifetime. I love the show, but wish it had been more consistent at times and didn't constantly feel pressure to shake things up so much. Same thing with the hour-long shows. I think the show had gotten way too ambitious by that point...so far removed from its humble origins. And let's face it, episodes filled with new sets, guest stars and crappy stock footage just don't add up to great comedy in a tiny little apartment. That's where the real magic happened.

I'll probably get lynched for this, but do keep in mind I STILL love the show and a number of those later episodes. I just wonder if all of it was really necessary to keep it going.

I LOVED THIS!!! I thought I was the only one. Seemed like they were so eager to get out of the house, the show really never got back into the apartment for a full season after season 3. I wished the writers could have given The Ricardo's a part in the building with Fred, and have had a few episodes with them making the apartment bigger, and redoing it or something.

Not that I don't like the house in the country!, I just wish it was a little more time in the apartment and its different areas, like the roof, or the front porche, or the side of The Ricardo/Mertz apartments, the apartment just seemed so fun and exciting-

My name is LaMarr, but I HATE that name cus its awkward and Im not french, so Ill use my last- Henry lol

AND I ADORE LIFE WITH LUCY. I get it, and although it seems like a revival of I Love Lucy, sans Ric, Ethel, nFred it still is pretty entertaining to look at as a cult classic.

I Hate that Cabbage hair in the hour Lucy Desi Shows

I DONT LIKE the episodes where everyone blames Lucy, though everyone involved was in on it lol

Some times Lucys perfect. yet weird pronunciations, like tomahto, and Praymerre (premiere) get on my nerves or The over pronunciation of "BoDTL "(bottle)

...oh God...heres the big one

....I....I only bought the HL DVDs for support, and for the extras, and for maybe 10 episodes all together, but it's my least of all Lucy shows (tho Lucie and the musical numbers is the saving grace for me sometimes)

Some times Lucys perfect. yet weird pronunciations, like tomahto, and Praymerre (premiere) get on my nerves or The over pronunciation of "BoDTL "(bottle)

LOL, I love the way she talks! It's so crisp and pronounced. She always overly pronounces her "Ts". I think it sounds fancy-like. :lucydaze:

I personally feel that all the travel the Ricardo's did in the later years was overdone. I mean, The Golden Girls spent 7 years in that house and rarely left it for more than one episode at a time. Were the writers really that pressed to think of more NYC storylines? Were they really that bored after just a few short years? I mean, the Ricardos barely had one season in their bigger apartment before they were flitting off all across the globe. Then Lucy wanted the characters to move to the country because she was sick of that apartment set? They barely spent any time filming on it after season 3!

It was handled very well, to be sure, and Hollywood and Europe did spawn some enjoyable episodes (though I find most overrated), but especially by the Europe trip it seemed they were trying a bit too hard to me. Had it stuck around until the moon landing they probably would've had the Ricardos and the Mertzes traveling the galaxy by the end of the series and setting up interplanetary colonies. If they were that fickle about globetrotting who knows what would've happened!

Not to mention Lucy's furniture changes! Fidelman was right in The Lucy Book that Lucy Ricardo had more new couches in 6 years than most people have in a lifetime. I love the show, but wish it had been more consistent at times and didn't constantly feel pressure to shake things up so much. Same thing with the hour-long shows. I think the show had gotten way too ambitious by that point...so far removed from its humble origins. And let's face it, episodes filled with new sets, guest stars and crappy stock footage just don't add up to great comedy in a tiny little apartment. That's where the real magic happened.

I'll probably get lynched for this, but do keep in mind I STILL love the show and a number of those later episodes. I just wonder if all of it was really necessary to keep it going.

Part of it is -- "ya had to be there..." Experience it first hand, if you will...

When I LOVE LUCY became the #1 show (almost overnight), it spawned a zillion Lucy wanna-be's, all these little domestic sitcoms that had one or two interior sets, with husbands and wives facing their problems comedically... So while the Ricardos and Mertzes may have done only 100 or so episodes (which is a lot!) in their original abode, the audience had witnessed MANY other domestic sitcoms doing almost the same thing... It all began to get "old" rather quickly... If Bob-Madelyn-Jess had not done a given story, someone ELSE had on yet another program...

So Desilu was always "pushing the envelope," trying to "stay ahead of the curve" (to use two expressions that had not been coined yet!) They wanted to stay fresh, do new things...

Plus TV itself was all so NEW to the audience... Many people across the country had HEARD of "Sunset and Vine" on the radio, by few people had actually GONE there... I LOVE LUCY took many viewers to Hollywood for the very first time, and let them, through Lucy Ricardo, do all the crazy things they'd always dreamed of doing themselves -- meet big movie stars, visit Grauman's, etc. Same with Europe. The WW2 vets had seen it at its worst, but most in the audience had never experienced it (in their own livingroom!) I know that's difficult for modern day viewers to comprehend -- especially when we can get on a web site or access skipe and visit friends on the other side of the globe from our laptops... But that's the way it was (sorry, Mr. Cronkite) in the mid-1950s...

So by taking us all new places and bringing in new storylines, Desilu was truly keeping the show fresh -- and on top.

I personally feel that all the travel the Ricardo's did in the later years was overdone. I mean, The Golden Girls spent 7 years in that house and rarely left it for more than one episode at a time. Were the writers really that pressed to think of more NYC storylines? Were they really that bored after just a few short years?

I'm not a fan of The Golden Girls, but . . . I went on imdb.com and counted 31 writers, plus another 4 story editors for the 177 episodes of that show. I Love Lucy had a total of only five writers for 180 half-hour episodes and 13 hour episodes. For the first 127 episodes, there were only 3 writers. I'm sure it's a lot easier coming up with story ideas when you have 35 people contributing. Personally, I've always liked the fact that they changed locales on I Love Lucy. Shows that never try new things often become stale. The very idea of those big story arcs, I think, was pretty ingenious. I don't think any show had ever done that before I Love Lucy. Then the year after the Ricardos and Mertzes headed to Hollywood, George and Gracie left Hollywood and went to New York for a year. A year after the Ricardos and Mertzes were traveling in Europe, the Kramdens and Nortons took a season-long European vacation of their own. I Love Lucy inspired all that, I'm sure.

Ok, but be fair, could you write 180 episodes and never repeat anything or go into the same territory? Could you come up with even more ESCAPADES when writing 35 shows in as many weeks?

No I realize that. But The Golden Girls lasted for 180 shows and they rarely left the Miami house. Granted Lucy didn't have grown up kids and estranged relatives showing up causing a crisis every week, so they did have to find other things to work with.

Part of it is -- "ya had to be there..." Experience it first hand, if you will...

When I LOVE LUCY became the #1 show (almost overnight), it spawned a zillion Lucy wanna-be's, all these little domestic sitcoms that had one or two interior sets, with husbands and wives facing their problems comedically... So while the Ricardos and Mertzes may have done only 100 or so episodes (which is a lot!) in their original abode, the audience had witnessed MANY other domestic sitcoms doing almost the same thing... It all began to get "old" rather quickly... If Bob-Madelyn-Jess had not done a given story, someone ELSE had on yet another program...

So Desilu was always "pushing the envelope," trying to "stay ahead of the curve" (to use two expressions that had not been coined yet!) They wanted to stay fresh, do new things...

Plus TV itself was all so NEW to the audience... Many people across the country had HEARD of "Sunset and Vine" on the radio, by few people had actually GONE there... I LOVE LUCY took many viewers to Hollywood for the very first time, and let them, through Lucy Ricardo, do all the crazy things they'd always dreamed of doing themselves -- meet big movie stars, visit Grauman's, etc. Same with Europe. The WW2 vets had seen it at its worst, but most in the audience had never experienced it (in their own livingroom!) I know that's difficult for modern day viewers to comprehend -- especially when we can get on a web site or access skipe and visit friends on the other side of the globe from our laptops... But that's the way it was (sorry, Mr. Cronkite) in the mid-1950s...

So by taking us all new places and bringing in new storylines, Desilu was truly keeping the show fresh -- and on top.

Very well said.

I do still adore the series and love those later shows equally...it was more just a pondering of "what could've been".

And I agree that I Love Lucy was incredible at pushing the envelope. Considering those early, "modest" episodes were groundbreaking, it does stand to reason that they'd want to continue breaking new ground. It really was a feeler TV show in so many ways.

And I appluad them for their storyarcs. Few sitcoms since, if any, have had so much buildup, continuity and continuing storylines handled so well.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective (though I DO still wish the apartment building had gotten a bit more focus towards the end, but I digress.) :)

I'm not a fan of The Golden Girls, but . . . I went on imdb.com and counted 31 writers, plus another 4 story editors for the 177 episodes of that show. I Love Lucy had a total of only five writers for 180 half-hour episodes and 13 hour episodes. For the first 127 episodes, there were only 3 writers. I'm sure it's a lot easier coming up with story ideas when you have 35 people contributing. Personally, I've always liked the fact that they changed locales on I Love Lucy. Shows that never try new things often become stale. The very idea of those big story arcs, I think, was pretty ingenious. I don't think any show had ever done that before I Love Lucy. Then the year after the Ricardos and Mertzes headed to Hollywood, George and Gracie left Hollywood and went to New York for a year. A year after the Ricardos and Mertzes were traveling in Europe, the Kramdens and Nortons took a season-long European vacation of their own. I Love Lucy inspired all that, I'm sure.

Right, I realize the dynamics of television had changed considerably by then. As I stated above, it was basically wondering "what if...what would've happened had they done this instead?"

Read my above response for further re-evaluation.

Right, I realize the dynamics of television had changed considerably by then. As I stated above, it was basically wondering "what if...what would've happened had they done this instead?"

Read my above response for further re-evaluation.

Point taken. I think it's a good question. There did still seem to be energy left with that format before they took off for Hollywood. I think it was Claude who mentioned when they returned to the apartment in the last season, some of those episodes were among the weakest. But perhaps that had something to do with the absence of Jess Oppenheimer? We'll never know, obviously. But I think if you look at most long-running sitcoms -- not all, but most -- there is a major retooling that happens at about the same point, if not before. Whether it's changing a location, bringing in new characters, or reformulating the basic premise. Take All in the Family, for example. When its 6th season began, it was episode 110 and in the episode, Mike and Gloria by the house next door and prepare to move out, and she learns she's pregnant. "Ricky's Movie Offer" was episode 103. Cheers was taking twist and turns all along the way, ending each season with a cliffhanger. As it was approaching its 100th episode, they brought in Lilith. At episode 121, Diane bid farewell and the show moved in a different direction. Granted, they never left that bar for eleven years, but there was a revolving door of characters and plot changes. That's just a couple examples. I'm sure there are many.

Interesting reading in this thread. :lucy1: I'll add to the mix the following:

I don't like that Lucy's characters got more bossy/demanding/borderline rude to the other characters as time went on. You would only rarely hear the words "please" and "thank you", & after ordering people around lots of times she would then add an insulting or condescending remark. Ethel especially was a saint! :viv1:

I enjoy a lot of Desi's songs, but when he does some of the slower ones with exagerrated facial expressions, I can't reach the remote fast enough. Love the fast forward button at those times! (Sorry, Desi)

This amuses me more than bothers me (but I bet it bothered Keith Thibodeaux!) She drags that poor kid around by the arm so much! Or grabs his arm/shoulder & pushes him where she wants him to be & holds him tight by the upper arm instead of a gentler, motherly arm around the shoulder. I don't think she ever even ruffles his hair as an expression of affection.

The show where Lucy babysits the two chimps -- the older male one with the very unusual face gave me the creeps. Shudder.

I don't mind when Fred sings, because he usually performs the song, too, & really seems to come alive. I get a glimpse of the younger man he once was when he sparkles like that. (Love when he does the Red, Red Robin! :bill1: )

BUT -- I love so much about a majority of the shows, too. The "Lucy wants to get into show biz" angle added so many laughs & scenarios, the Hollywood episodes are a hoot, & the move to the country was done so well, down to the clever way the Mertz's became permament residents there. (If I ignore the overly simplistic line that relieved them of their NYC landlord responsibilities --"Mrs. Trumbull's sister wants to move in & manage the building!")

Also enjoyed Lucy & Viv as momma's in TLS, & Lucy & Gale interacting (as long as the fighting & screaming didn't get out of hand). I could go on & on :lucy1: , but I'll stop here.

Hello there, Tom! Thanks for that perspective. It reminds me of when I was a kid seeing those episodes for the first time, I hadn't been to any of those places at that point, so it was exciting watching them on their adventures. So you make an excellent point. By the way, I'm near the conclusion of my own story arc. After three years back in DC, I'm heading back to San Diego next month! If I could frame my life in six seasons, with the coming months as the sixth season, during that time I will have lived in three places -- a condo, and apartment, and now a house -- and in two cities. I've also been out of the country several times during this period and changed jobs twice. So when you think about it, that's life. We don't necessarily remain living in the same place doing the same job for six years. Life goes on and things change. Anywho, I'm excited to get back to San Diego.

On another note, I just got my TLS S6 last week and I'm as impressed as usual. You guys always manage to top yourselves. It's amazing. Kudos to you and Jonathan and Larry and the rest. The set is classy and beautiful!

Point taken. I think it's a good question. There did still seem to be energy left with that format before they took off for Hollywood. I think it was Claude who mentioned when they returned to the apartment in the last season, some of those episodes were among the weakest. But perhaps that had something to do with the absence of Jess Oppenheimer?

My least favorite episodes of the entire series (not counting the first few episodes of the first season) are the handful between the California and Europe shows and Jess was still there at the time. I have no problem with the sixth season New York apartment episodes.

Very well said.

I do still adore the series and love those later shows equally...it was more just a pondering of "what could've been".

And I agree that I Love Lucy was incredible at pushing the envelope. Considering those early, "modest" episodes were groundbreaking, it does stand to reason that they'd want to continue breaking new ground. It really was a feeler TV show in so many ways.

And I appluad them for their storyarcs. Few sitcoms since, if any, have had so much buildup, continuity and continuing storylines handled so well.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective (though I DO still wish the apartment building had gotten a bit more focus towards the end, but I digress.) :)

I may be veering a little "off topic," but all of this discussion has reminded me of the one big difference of opinion I had with both Jess and Gregg Oppenheimer about I LOVE LUCY. Given that all three of us loved the entire series (or, for the Oppenheimers, at least the first five years)...

I have always really enjoyed Season Three, whereas Jess (and Gregg) consider it the weakest...

True, it had no "story arc." But what I love about it is -- it gets us out of that apartment (at least a little bit) and introduces us a little bit to the surrounding neighborhood and the New York environs... I love going down the street to Mrs. Hanson's dress shop, seeing Carolyn's apartment, visiting Speedy Laundry and the newspaper office, eating at the Ricardo/Mertz diner, etc. Even spending an afternoon on top of the Empire State Building (in what Jess considered I LOVE LUCY's worst episode.) Oddly enough, taking us to these other locales only made the Ricardos and Mertzes seem more like real people, living in a real community with real friends and neighbors.

If the Ricardos and Mertzes had NOT gone off to Hollywood and Europe for seasons 4 and 5, I would have liked to have seen more of these kinds of episodes that were set at 623 East 68th Street, but let us see a little more of the community as well... (And, yes, I have always LOVED Season 6's "Lucy and the Loving Cup" and its visit to the New York subway!)

Sorry if I veered... (You know how I am...)

T.

I may be veering a little "off topic," but all of this discussion has reminded me of the one big difference of opinion I had with both Jess and Gregg Oppenheimer about I LOVE LUCY. Given that all three of us loved the entire series (or, for the Oppenheimers, at least the first five years)...

I have always really enjoyed Season Three, whereas Jess (and Gregg) consider it the weakest...

True, it had no "story arc." But what I love about it is -- it gets us out of that apartment (at least a little bit) and introduces us a little bit to the surrounding neighborhood and the New York environs... I love going down the street to Mrs. Hanson's dress shop, seeing Carolyn's apartment, visiting Speedy Laundry and the newspaper office, eating at the Ricardo/Mertz diner, etc. Even spending an afternoon on top of the Empire State Building (in what Jess considered I LOVE LUCY's worst episode.) Oddly enough, taking us to these other locales only made the Ricardos and Mertzes seem more like real people, living in a real community with real friends and neighbors.

Totally agree. Love Season Three. Such a consistently strong season.

I love your reasoning, Tom! I never thought of that. I love the Danfield years of The Lucy Show for that reason. It seems like a real little town with real people and places.

Agreed!!!... I still wonder whatever happened to Grandma Sutton and her cat... Loved the references to the various other townsfolk!

Simple references to these other people add nothing to the actual action/plot, but "filled in" the background. This is what was so sorely missing from the California episodes, especially those set in the bank. Both Lucy and Mr. Mooney seemed to live in a vacuum. I loved the little "moment" with Lucy and Doris Singleton in Season 6's "Diploma" episode... I know it was written for Mary Jane, and am sorry MJ was ill, but having Doris do the part at least proved that Lucy Carmichael had more than one friend in all of LA!

I would have liked to have seen more of that!

Hello there, Tom!

On another note, I just got my TLS S6 last week and I'm as impressed as usual. You guys always manage to top yourselves. It's amazing. Kudos to you and Jonathan and Larry and the rest. The set is classy and beautiful!

Thanks, BR...

Let me know when you get back to California... Maybe we can get together!

I don't mean the superstars Lucy met like the movie legends on I LOVE LUCY who might not be so famous today with the general public but the frequently "B list" of celebrities who appeared on the 60s and 70s shows as themselves who weren't all that big even at the time and yet Lucy seems as impressed as if she's meeting Clark Gable or Mae West.

Yeah, but those are the ones i'm talking about, they might be almost unknown today but back then, some of them were really BIG in the industry and i guess she got them by having her writers buttering them up in the scripts. And she was just happy to get them on her show so she fawned on them to get the audience to respond to them more.

Re Gale, I was so used to the screaming Gale of the Lucy's boss years with tv reruns and pd dvds it was something of a shock to see him as a mellower Mr. Mooney in the early seasons of TLS when he generally has a calmer reactions to Lucy. I definitely think turning up the volume on the character in the later seasons was a mistake but then this sort of exasperated screamer was then a staple on many sitcoms with Frank Sutton, Alan Hale, and to a lesser degree Dick York and Raymond Bailey, can't imagine why audiences back then enjoyed seeing the stars yelled at though.

Oh trust me, they didn't, i've said many times how she lost some fans with that constant screaming on the show, some people who loved her were turned off by the yelling and shouting constantly. We watched comedy shows to be entertained, not to referee.

Archived