Worst TLS Episodes Per Season

I don't get the hate. Music world is easily in my top 20. LOL Whoever doesn't like it probably still have their trousseaux lying on their shelves. :lucythrill:

It's a little hard to see my beloved "Music World" trounced and listed as the worst of the entire series. I don't want to wish someone who disagrees with me ill will, but......may one of the 6 Bare Feet drop a saxophone on YOUR toe, may you have to sit through a whole evening's performance of the Sob Sisters in Oakland doing the "Wingding" song over and over and may YOUR surfboard come back by ITSELF!

"I may not look it but I was a teenager for 7 whole years"

"MRS. CARMICHAEL!!! All I wanted to know is did you get it all down?"

"All except for one thing: what is the title??"

I love it when Lucy's taking dictation and writing a letter to her aunt simultaneously but "only when you pause to think" and then stumbles on the spelling of Schenectady.

I had several conversations with Bob O'Brien right before he died. He told me that HE wrote all the lyrics to the songs (except for Mel's "Whatever Happened to the Moon?" solo), but Mel insisted he be given lyric credit, with Bob getting the "Additional lyrics by" credit. Oh, that Mel! He IS a 'TINKER! I didn't realize until recently that "Whatever..?" and "My Trouseau" have the same basic melody.

I may be wrong, but isn't this the first time, Lucy Carmichael has had some big life changing event--being on national TV and having a hit record (assuming Barney Miller of the Pop Record Company follows through and is correct in his assessment)--which is never mentioned again? That's the only thing that bugs me about "Music World". No stranger to national TV, Lucy Carmichael already had imdb credits, having appeared on "The Danny Kaye Show" and "Boiling Point" the season before, but neither of those were her TV debut. Nor was it the first time she sang on TV. Though just local Danfield news coverage, Lucy and Viv did "I've Been Munching on Some Candy" while shoving chocolates into Larry MacAdoo's mouth, a very funny bit.

If Chris Carmichael caught "Wingding" in her college dorm, what must she have thought about her mother?? Dorm roommate: "Chris, isn't that your MOTHER on 'Wingding'?" Chris: "HOLY COW!"

Again, there WERE shows on TV at the time that resembled "Wingding", specifically ABC's twice weekly "Shindig" which is about as close to "Wingding" as you can get; and Hullaballoo on NBC. It was a fad that sputtered out quickly.

Many shows did Shindig take-offs including "Hazel" when Harold's band goes on "Pandemonium" the same season as "Music World". For its last season when it moved from NBC to CBS, "Hazel" followed Lucy and "Andy Griffith" on Monday night. AND (I know I'm straying off topic), while Lucy and Andy were #3 and #6 respectively for the season, "Hazel" did not finish in the top 30 and this was its last year. I always assumed it was canceled but according to a Shirley Booth biography, CBS wanted to renew it but Shirley bowed out. It would have been interesting if the "Wingding" and "Pandemonium" episodes ran the same night.

This is the year that "The Lucy Show" started its tradition of airing a rerun during the week between Christmas and New Years and "Music World" was it. The following two years it was "George Burns" and "Meets the Berles". "Berles" was rerun again during the summer of 1968 making it the only "Lucy Show" episode to get three airings in one season. (although it's possible "Burtons" did..I don't know).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're GREAT because ANN is the best, and she and Lucy worked so well together, love them all, but the weight one WAS the weakest of the lot. Would have loved to see Ann as the new Viv.

Of Ann's 7 Lucy Shows, I like "Old Mansion" the least, though most people cite "Lose Weight" as their least favorite. I've always wondered Ann thought when she received the script and looked at the title of the episode! Have also wondered why the Countess character wasn't continued with sporadic visits. "My Mother the Car" which aired during TLS's 5th season didn't take too much of Ann's time, so that wasn't the reason.

Of Ann's 7 Lucy Shows, I like "Old Mansion" the least, though most people cite "Lose Weight" as their least favorite. I've always wondered Ann thought when she received the script and looked at the title of the episode! Have also wondered why the Countess character wasn't continued with sporadic visits. "My Mother the Car" which aired during TLS's 5th season didn't take too much of Ann's time, so that wasn't the reason.

I agree... We should have seen more of Madame Framboise... Isn't she the ONLY character, other than Lucy, Viv, Jerry, and Mr. Mooney, who bridged both the Danfield and Los Angeles episodes?

I agree... We should have seen more of Madame Framboise... Isn't she the ONLY character, other than Lucy, Viv, Jerry, and Mr. Mooney, who bridged both the Danfield and Los Angeles episodes?

Of characters that are seen and not just heard (or heard about), we also have Nelson Mooney. ;)

Old Mansion had a great setup but a rather lackluster conclusion, IMO. I enjoy the opening scenes tremendously. It was very exciting seeing Lucy, Ann and Viv all together. It's a shame there couldn't have been more occasions to showcase all three of them. Plus Lucy constantly whacking Mooney's ass with the beam of wood was hilarious.

It's a little hard to see my beloved "Music World" trounced and listed as the worst of the entire series. I don't want to wish someone who disagrees with me ill will, but......may one of the 6 Bare Feet drop a saxophone on YOUR toe, may you have to sit through a whole evening's performance of the Sob Sisters in Oakland doing the "Wingding" song over and over and may YOUR surfboard come back by ITSELF!

"I may not look it but I was a teenager for 7 whole years"

"MRS. CARMICHAEL!!! All I wanted to know is did you get it all down?"

"All except for one thing: what is the title??"

I love it when Lucy's taking dictation and writing a letter to her aunt simultaneously but "only when you pause to think" and then stumbles on the spelling of Schenectady.

I had several conversations with Bob O'Brien right before he died. He told me that HE wrote all the lyrics to the songs (except for Mel's "Whatever Happened to the Moon?" solo), but Mel insisted he be given lyric credit, with Bob getting the "Additional lyrics by" credit. Oh, that Mel! He IS a 'TINKER! I didn't realize until recently that "Whatever..?" and "My Trouseau" have the same basic melody.

I may be wrong, but isn't this the first time, Lucy Carmichael has had some big life changing event--being on national TV and having a hit record (assuming Barney Miller of the Pop Record Company follows through and is correct in his assessment)--which is never mentioned again? That's the only thing that bugs me about "Music World". No stranger to national TV, Lucy Carmichael already had imdb credits, having appeared on "The Danny Kaye Show" and "Boiling Point" the season before, but neither of those were her TV debut. Nor was it the first time she sang on TV. Though just local Danfield news coverage, Lucy and Viv did "I've Been Munching on Some Candy" while shoving chocolates into Larry MacAdoo's mouth, a very funny bit.

If Chris Carmichael caught "Wingding" in her college dorm, what must she have thought about her mother?? Dorm roommate: "Chris, isn't that your MOTHER on 'Wingding'?" Chris: "HOLY COW!"

Again, there WERE shows on TV at the time that resembled "Wingding", specifically ABC's twice weekly "Shindig" which is about as close to "Wingding" as you can get; and Hullaballoo on NBC. It was a fad that sputtered out quickly.

Many shows did Shindig take-offs including "Hazel" when Harold's band goes on "Pandemonium" the same season as "Music World". For its last season when it moved from NBC to CBS, "Hazel" followed Lucy and "Andy Griffith" on Monday night. AND (I know I'm straying off topic), while Lucy and Andy were #3 and #6 respectively for the season, "Hazel" did not finish in the top 30 and this was its last year. I always assumed it was canceled but according to a Shirley Booth biography, CBS wanted to renew it but Shirley bowed out. It would have been interesting if the "Wingding" and "Pandemonium" episodes ran the same night.

This is the year that "The Lucy Show" started its tradition of airing a rerun during the week between Christmas and New Years and "Music World" was it. The following two years it was "George Burns" and "Meets the Berles". "Berles" was rerun again during the summer of 1968 making it the only "Lucy Show" episode to get three airings in one season. (although it's possible "Burtons" did..I don't know).

Great post Neil, so many fun facts. As for Burtons, i'm sure CBS reran the sheeyite out of it to make their investment back. Same as they would have the Presley one had it come about.

Old mansion and that new highrise apartment had good points and bad, liked them both. I think Ann was wise to the fact that she was quite pleasingly PLUMP, but she carried it very well. And any lady who asks for a sugar break of ice cream scoops with oreos sprinkled on top and just calls it a LITTLE SUGAR to boost her energy level is fully aware that people will comment and even make snide remarks. :marionstrong:

Are you saying Ann was as big as a bridge??? LOL! But what a beautiful and funny one. I never did try those Maisie movies you mentionned, maybe i should as i adore her in anything she's in.

You can call me "Miki with the trousseaux lying on my shelf". I really don't like that episode! I can't wait to share my favourite and least favourite episodes with you all (I only have 2 left to watch from Season 6). No doubt some of you will be shocked with my choices because I have found one episode that I am pretty sure is my favourite from Season 6 listed as someone's LEAST favourite episode! LOL! But I'm sure my choices won't shock any of you - after all, it is ME we are speaking about!

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!

Season 1: Lucy Visits The White House

Season 2: Lucy Takes Up Golf

Season 3: Lucy Meets Danny Kaye

Season 4: Lucy Saves Milton Berle

Season 5: Lucy & Pat Collins

Season 6: Lucy & Robert Goulet

Wow, surprisingly, aside from White House, your list is pretty damned good for a guy who usually goes against the grain.

Season 1: Lucy Visits The White House

Season 4: Lucy Saves Milton Berle

Season 5: Lucy & Pat Collins

Season 6: Lucy & Robert Goulet

I love everything about Pat Collins UNTIL they get hypnotized in the nightclub act. I would assume the script writers just turned it over to Pat at that point and said 'do whatever you want to do'.

The last half would certainly qualify as the worst and it spoils the show overall, but the first half, especially the scene in the fur salon, is Lucy at her best. I have to admit that I like freakish-looking, non-actor style of Pat Collins in spite of both.

People seem to hate the Robert Goulet show. It would have played much better as a live variety skit. Goulet's quick changes lose the punch they have with a live audience and are not as impressive or funny in a filmed show. However the episode, written by one-script writer Douglas Morrow, doesn't show Lucy to any particular advantage. And this IS "The Lucy Show" after all.

"White House" is among a big batch of 2nd half first season shows that are weak overall. But, they usually have SOMETHING in them that's good. This one has that great shot of the horse jumping its cue and galloping off stage before Lucy has fully mounted it. Unfortunately it happens to quickly for the camera to capture it well. I'm convinced this was unplanned as Lucy is barely hanging on and the horse is moving too fast. One of her more dangerous stunts. The horse running along side the train outside Viv's window is SO phony, but I don't know why, it works for me. One of the few times the phoniness makes it funnier.

I think "Shower" was the last show in which Desi served as Executive Producer (am I right?) I've never gotten a feel for how dedicated Desi's involvement was in the production of TLS, but could his absence be the reason for the 2nd half yielding too few classics in comparison with the first half?

Unfortunately Desi's "A Book" stops its timeline before TLS begins; and "Another Book" was never completed. That's a shame because I think his post-divorce story is equally intriguing.

"Golf" is as good a pick as any for 'worst' 2nd season show, though (as I have already stated), this is the one season that I don't think contains a TRULY bad episode. Gary does a fine job and would have been a good as a recurring role, mainly for the real-life coupling ala Lucy/Desi...as long as the characters had an 'open relationship'.

Can't argue with either "Danny Kaye" or "Milton Berle". Danny was a BIG disappointment because a) it's a Schiller/Weiskopf script and B) it's such a waste of the Lucy/Danny teaming opportunity.

You can't fault the actors for the quality of "Berle": a perfect example of Lucy committing to the material, weak as it is. It DOES contain one of my favorite Mr. Mooney lines: "Mrs. Carmichael, whatever you're going to do, (slight tremor in his voice) are you going to do it to ME?" Milton's brashness may have been part of his schtick, but if you're not on board with that, it just comes across as arrogant and makes him unlikeable. It had been 10 years since he had a hit series.

I love everything about Pat Collins UNTIL they get hypnotized in the nightclub act. I would assume the script writers just turned it over to Pat at that point and said 'do whatever you want to do'.

The last half would certainly qualify as the worst and it spoils the show overall, but the first half, especially the scene in the fur salon, is Lucy at her best.

I think "Shower" was the last show in which Desi served as Executive Producer (am I right?) I've never gotten a feel for how dedicated Desi's involvement was in the production of TLS, but could his absence be the reason for the 2nd half yielding too few classics in comparison with the first half?

Desi's last show was "Lucy and Her Electric Mattress." The first show to be done without him was "Lucy and Viv are Volunteer Firemen." But I think Desi's absence hurt the shows a lot...

As for "Pat Collins," I know the last half of the script was re-written a few times, because everyone (studio, network & sponsor execs) were very interested in not having the people in Ms. Collins' act do things that are not possible under hypnosis. Apparently the first draft was hilarious, but not realistic... (I think at that point I'd have walked away, but I was not there!)

The last half would certainly qualify as the worst and it spoils the show overall, but the first half, especially the scene in the fur salon, is Lucy at her best. I have to admit that I like freakish-looking, non-actor style of Pat Collins in spite of both.

People seem to hate the Robert Goulet show. It would have played much better as a live variety skit. Goulet's quick changes lose the punch they have with a live audience and are not as impressive or funny in a filmed show. However the episode, written by one-script writer Douglas Morrow, doesn't show Lucy to any particular advantage. And this IS "The Lucy Show" after all.

"White House" is among a big batch of 2nd half first season shows that are weak overall. But, they usually have SOMETHING in them that's good. This one has that great shot of the horse jumping its cue and galloping off stage before Lucy has fully mounted it. Unfortunately it happens to quickly for the camera to capture it well. I'm convinced this was unplanned as Lucy is barely hanging on and the horse is moving too fast. One of her more dangerous stunts. The horse running along side the train outside Viv's window is SO phony, but I don't know why, it works for me. One of the few times the phoniness makes it funnier.

Unfortunately Desi's "A Book" stops its timeline before TLS begins; and "Another Book" was never completed. That's a shame because I think his post-divorce story is equally intriguing.

"Golf" is as good a pick as any for 'worst' 2nd season show, though (as I have already stated), this is the one season that I don't think contains a TRULY bad episode. Gary does a fine job and would have been a good as a recurring role, mainly for the real-life coupling ala Lucy/Desi...as long as the characters had an 'open relationship'.

Can't argue with either "Danny Kaye" or "Milton Berle". Danny was a BIG disappointment because a) it's a Schiller/Weiskopf script and B) it's such a waste of the Lucy/Danny teaming opportunity.

You can't fault the actors for the quality of "Berle": a perfect example of Lucy committing to the material, weak as it is. It DOES contain one of my favorite Mr. Mooney lines: "Mrs. Carmichael, whatever you're going to do, (slight tremor in his voice) are you going to do it to ME?" Milton's brashness may have been part of his schtick, but if you're not on board with that, it just comes across as arrogant and makes him unlikeable. It had been 10 years since he had a hit series.

Well said! :peachonthebeach:

Classic Neil post, babe, you just HAVE to write a book on all this, your observations are so perfect! I'd love to see a conversation between you and Mr Watson.

Season 1: Lucy Becomes A Reporter

Season 4: Lucy and the Countess Loose Weight

Season 5: Lucy and Pat Collins

Season 6: Lucy the Starmaker

Yeah, I agree with you on the first 4 but I disagree with Starmaker - that episode really makes me smile! It's a fun episode in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree with you on the first 4 but I disagree with Starmaker - that episode really makes me smile! It's a fun episode in my opinion.

Lucy the Starmaker is so entertaining. Frankie is giving a chance to shine. He is funny, cute, and sings great. I like how Lucy always wanting to be a star promotes him. However, this is one of the shows that Lucy gives to the Guest Star. She is so gracious at times to step aside to present other talent.

Archived