Worst TLS Episodes Per Season

I love everything about Pat Collins UNTIL they get hypnotized in the nightclub act. I would assume the script writers just turned it over to Pat at that point and said 'do whatever you want to do'.

The last half would certainly qualify as the worst and it spoils the show overall, but the first half, especially the scene in the fur salon, is Lucy at her best. I have to admit that I like freakish-looking, non-actor style of Pat Collins in spite of both.

People seem to hate the Robert Goulet show. It would have played much better as a live variety skit. Goulet's quick changes lose the punch they have with a live audience and are not as impressive or funny in a filmed show. However the episode, written by one-script writer Douglas Morrow, doesn't show Lucy to any particular advantage. And this IS "The Lucy Show" after all.

"White House" is among a big batch of 2nd half first season shows that are weak overall. But, they usually have SOMETHING in them that's good. This one has that great shot of the horse jumping its cue and galloping off stage before Lucy has fully mounted it. Unfortunately it happens to quickly for the camera to capture it well. I'm convinced this was unplanned as Lucy is barely hanging on and the horse is moving too fast. One of her more dangerous stunts. The horse running along side the train outside Viv's window is SO phony, but I don't know why, it works for me. One of the few times the phoniness makes it funnier.

I think "Shower" was the last show in which Desi served as Executive Producer (am I right?) I've never gotten a feel for how dedicated Desi's involvement was in the production of TLS, but could his absence be the reason for the 2nd half yielding too few classics in comparison with the first half?

Unfortunately Desi's "A Book" stops its timeline before TLS begins; and "Another Book" was never completed. That's a shame because I think his post-divorce story is equally intriguing.

"Golf" is as good a pick as any for 'worst' 2nd season show, though (as I have already stated), this is the one season that I don't think contains a TRULY bad episode. Gary does a fine job and would have been a good as a recurring role, mainly for the real-life coupling ala Lucy/Desi...as long as the characters had an 'open relationship'.

Can't argue with either "Danny Kaye" or "Milton Berle". Danny was a BIG disappointment because a) it's a Schiller/Weiskopf script and B) it's such a waste of the Lucy/Danny teaming opportunity.

You can't fault the actors for the quality of "Berle": a perfect example of Lucy committing to the material, weak as it is. It DOES contain one of my favorite Mr. Mooney lines: "Mrs. Carmichael, whatever you're going to do, (slight tremor in his voice) are you going to do it to ME?" Milton's brashness may have been part of his schtick, but if you're not on board with that, it just comes across as arrogant and makes him unlikeable. It had been 10 years since he had a hit series.

I too love the first half of the Pat Collins but not the second one.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo, what's wrong the with Pat Collins episode?? I think it's pretty good compared to some. :huh:

I like it too.

The first half at, as Lucy would say, the fur "say-lon", is a classic and although the nightclub scenes are completely plot-free they are so much fun to watch. Mooney's interpretation of the coffee pot kills me every time.

I like it too.

The first half at, as Lucy would say, the fur "say-lon", is a classic and although the nightclub scenes are completely plot-free they are so much fun to watch. Mooney's interpretation of the coffee pot kills me every time.

I love Lucy's "voodoo dance." Cracks me up. :marionstrong:

The fur salon scene in "Lucy and Pat Collins" is one of my very favorites from the California format of the series. I especially love Mary Jane's "why dontcha buy it?" and Lucy's glare at her. Patricia Cutts as the saleswoman is my favorite one-time only character actress on the series.

I seem to recall that saleslady having a very weird voice, am i right?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know I changed my season 1 worst episode from "White House" to "Butterfly" - I totally forget how much worse that episode is! LOL!

Finally! YOU know what we are talking about!!!! Because really.. the White House one isn't that damn bad.. seriously.. look at Viv's reaction when Lucy rides by on the horse.. THAT is pure comedy gold.. NO one can touch Vivian Vance and Lucille Ball as a team.. they are just great.. THAT material in the hands of anyone else would fall FLAT on its ass!!!!

Finally! YOU know what we are talking about!!!! Because really.. the White House one isn't that damn bad.. seriously.. look at Viv's reaction when Lucy rides by on the horse.. THAT is pure comedy gold.. NO one can touch Vivian Vance and Lucille Ball as a team.. they are just great.. THAT material in the hands of anyone else would fall FLAT on its ass!!!!

You find that out every single time anyone tries to do their material. N O B O D Y can touch them!

Season 4: Lucy and the Countess Loose Weight

Unless there was a countess episode in the 4th season about her flab flopping around (hence the "loose" weight in the title) so much so that Mrs. Goldapper downstairs started complaining again, this one was from the 3rd season. It's such a great Mooney episode I don't mind it.

Worst Episodes by Season (imo)

Season 1 - Can't Decide

Season 2 - Lucy Goes Into Politics

Season 3 - Lucy and The Monsters

Season 4 - Lucy, The Superwoman (worst episode of the whole series!)

Season 5 - Lucy, The Fight Manager

Season 6 - Lucy and The French Movie Star

Re. Season 1: Is that because you think there are too many to choose from? :marionstrong:

Re. Season 2 & 3: - sort of agree - the episodes weren't that great but Lucy & The Monster was a good Halloween sort of episode

Re. Season 4: Agree! (even though I didn't pick that one)

Re. Season 5: Definitely don't agree with - I really enjoyed that episode

Re. Season 6: 100% don't agree with! That episode was fantastic!

Re. Season 1: Is that because you think there are too many to choose from? :marionstrong:

Re. Season 2 & 3: - sort of agree - the episodes weren't that great but Lucy & The Monster was a good Halloween sort of episode

Yeah, me too, i agree with his 4 but certainly not his 5 or 6.

To be honest, I need to go back and watch season 1 again. Seasons 2 & 3 also. But seasons 4-6 are fresher in my mind. (Not sure why I didn't like French Movie Star, I just didn't)

Archived