Hollywood Byline: Lucille Ball

This is an extremely interesting, unedited radio press conference with Lucy from January 1950.

Lucy gives her opinion on television (she hopes they can get it on film) and talks about My Favorite Husband, Bob Hope, Dream Girl, The Big Street (she calls it a comedy, as usual, but seems to consider it a bit more dramatic than she later did), her upcoming tour with Desi, her marriage, and lots of other topics. The second half has Lucy asking questions to the press.

HOLLYWOOD BYLINE

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 27 minutes into this thing. When does she start hurling dishes or other objects at the tedious people who keep wanting to repeat her answers? LOL

Yeah, interesting to hear her candid responses in the unedited form.

Love to hear her shout "I WON'T DO THIS SHIT" and hurl a chair like she did at Jess over a MFH script she didn't like.

It'd be great to see some of her responses incorporated into a teleplay for a new biopic. Like the way the writers of the Judy Garland miniseries incorporated some of her dialogue from her private tape recordings that got leaked a few years back.

They're saving them for the BIG SCREEN version of her life, Julia Roberts is rehearsing her voice to sound like Lucy. I read Julia's driving all over town screaming her guts out in an open convertible. :lucythrill:

This is an extremely interesting, unedited radio press conference with Lucy from January 1950.

Lucy gives her opinion on television (she hopes they can get it on film) and talks about My Favorite Husband, Bob Hope, Dream Girl, The Big Street (she calls it a comedy, as usual, but seems to consider it a bit more dramatic than she later did), her upcoming tour with Desi, her marriage, and lots of other topics. The second half has Lucy asking questions to the press.

HOLLYWOOD BYLINE

WOW - Harry, THANKS for sharing!!!!

Very revealing how Lucille felt - WAY BACK THEN; I appreciate it very much....Loving you, JK

HOLLYWOOD BYLINE

Thank you so much for posting this link :ill: !! I'd give you more than +1 if I could, +100 is more like it!! I've wanted to hear this recording since I found out it existed on a different old-time radio site (never knew about this one so another thank you!)

Here's how it's described on another OTR website which didn't have details on how to obtain the recording:

Hollywood Byline. January 14, 1950. ABC net. Unedited tape. Lucille Ball is interviewed by Lloyd Sloane (Hollywood Citizen News), Robert Thomas (A. P.), Darr Smith (Los Angeles Daily News) and Frances Moor (Photoplay). Lucy describes her second appearance on television (with Ed Wynn). She says that she may do a regular television series (if color comes in), but that it takes a lot of time. She makes some prophetic comments; fascinating listening. Lucille Ball, Lloyd Sloane (Hollywood Citizen News, Movie Life Magazine), Robert Thomas (Associated Press), Darr Smith (The Los Angeles Daily News), Frances Moor, Jack Latham (announcer), William Johnson (director). 50:32.

Lots of interesting things here. First is how much her normal voice here still sounds pretty much the same as she does in the 60's on Let's Talk to Lucy. Makes you realize how far she pushed her voice, espically in the first season.

Also enjoyed the talk about TV. If she only knew what was to come.

She talks about going to Europe. This never happened correct? Was this about the time that she got pregnant (the miscarriage one) and therefore it was cancelled?

She talks about going to Europe. This never happened correct? Was this about the time that she got pregnant (the miscarriage one) and therefore it was cancelled?

Yes, that's right. A few years later, there was talk of the Arnazes finally doing their show in London, but Lucy got pregnant with Desi Jr. and had to cancel again.

Yes it's uncut. You can hear the director talking and also they do the questions twice or rephrase as well. There's also that part in there when the moving crew or whatever comes through.

Thanks for the follow up on the Europe booking. I thougjt that was the story as well.

I also thought it was really interesting to hear Lucy talk about the times of separations in her marriage. I wonder if what she says she how she felt at the time, was her made up reason to look good in these press stories or if it was a way to keep herself happy. Seems like everything we've ever read and heard was how difficult these times were and how they needed to find that project to keep them together.

I just listened to the entire thing and I had to laugh when Lucy said "damn." Did they have the beeper back then? Pretty funny. :peachonthebeach:

I'm sure that part was cut for the broadcast version. This is the recorded master obviously. They wouldn't have aired it with all the breaks and muffled conversation deciding what to ask next I'm sure.

I'm sure that part was cut for the broadcast version. This is the recorded master obviously. They wouldn't have aired it with all the breaks and muffled conversation deciding what to ask next I'm sure.

No, I know that, I was just kidding. This was 1950 after all.

I'm rather surprised this program was recorded in advance since even as late as 1950 most radio programs appear to have been broadcast live and something as fairly simple as an interview you would think wouldn't need to be prerecorded (though maybe they were afraid of more than "damns" flying from stars having to speak at length off the cuff without a script :lucythrill:)

I LOVE this interview though and wish more episodes of this program existed; apparently only three or four others do. It's amazing how little Lucy changed over the years comparing this to her later tv interviews from the 1980's, she's generous in her praise, blunt in her comments, good-humored but never "on" or phony, just an awesome gal!!

Thank you so much for posting this link :ill: !! I'd give you more than +1 if I could, +100 is more like it!! I've wanted to hear this recording since I found out it existed on a different old-time radio site (never knew about this one so another thank you!)

Here's how it's described on another OTR website which didn't have details on how to obtain the recording:

Hollywood Byline. January 14, 1950. ABC net. Unedited tape. Lucille Ball is interviewed by Lloyd Sloane (Hollywood Citizen News), Robert Thomas (A. P.), Darr Smith (Los Angeles Daily News) and Frances Moor (Photoplay). Lucy describes her second appearance on television (with Ed Wynn). She says that she may do a regular television series (if color comes in), but that it takes a lot of time. She makes some prophetic comments; fascinating listening. Lucille Ball, Lloyd Sloane (Hollywood Citizen News, Movie Life Magazine), Robert Thomas (Associated Press), Darr Smith (The Los Angeles Daily News), Frances Moor, Jack Latham (announcer), William Johnson (director). 50:32.

THANKS SO MUCH, Lucyilove, for the above information; was listening to it, trying to write down all the above to include in the chronology; missed some; was trying to find the time to go back and re-listen.

You are the best for doing it for me; and I appreciate it more than I can tell you. Thanks, again, Harry, for bringing it to us in the first place; it's a great piece of history for the chronology. Loving you both, and everyone else on the Lounge....JK

THANKS SO MUCH, Lucyilove, for the above information; was listening to it, trying to write down all the above to include in the chronology; missed some; was trying to find the time to go back and re-listen.

You are the best for doing it for me; and I appreciate it more than I can tell you. Thanks, again, Harry, for bringing it to us in the first place; it's a great piece of history for the chronology. Loving you both, and everyone else on the Lounge....JK

Cannot wait to listen to this, Lucy talking naturally about what's happened to her in her career is just my all time favorite thing, which is why she should have helmed a talk show at some point. My computer should be fixed later this week so i can enjoy this, no sound here at work damnit!

Finally had time to listen to this today. Wowzers!! What a fabulous find - thanks so much, HC! :peachonthebeach: It doesn't get better than Lucille Ball speaking candidly about her life and career, especially at this time. So many prophetic comments and I love pre-I Love Lucy Lucy. I'm sure I'll listen to this many more times! :lucythrill:

Finally had time to listen to this today. Wowzers!! What a fabulous find - thanks so much, HC! :peachonthebeach: It doesn't get better than Lucille Ball speaking candidly about her life and career, especially at this time. So many prophetic comments and I love pre-I Love Lucy Lucy. I'm sure I'll listen to this many more times! :lucythrill:

Can you list ANY examples, as i might not get the computer fixed for another week damnitall!

Archived