Any word on Life with Lucy on DVD?

yendor1152

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what the plot of "Twas the Flight Before Christmas" concerned. I'd love to see the script someday (yes, as you may have seen, I'm going through a rare script kick :) )

It was a cute show. Lucy's old boyfriend (played by Peter Graves in one of the episodes) has invited the family to spend Christmas in his ski lodge in Colorado... Unfortunately, a snow storm hits, and everyone gets stranded in the Denver airport on Christmas Eve...

(UGH... Just realized it was 26 years ago this next week that the show was cancelled. I think we did the last episode ("World's Greatest Grandma") on November 6, 1986!)

It was a cute show. Lucy's old boyfriend (played by Peter Graves in one of the episodes) has invited the family to spend Christmas in his ski lodge in Colorado... Unfortunately, a snow storm hits, and everyone gets stranded in the Denver airport on Christmas Eve...

(UGH... Just realized it was 26 years ago this next week that the show was cancelled. I think we did the last episode ("World's Greatest Grandma") on November 6, 1986!)

It's unfortunate that the show fell victim to a too-short trial period. Had it been given more time to find itself it could've lasted a few years. These things take time to find their groove. It wasn't given a fair shake.

It's unfortunate that the show fell victim to a too-short trial period. Had it been given more time to find itself it could've lasted a few years. These things take time to find their groove. It wasn't given a fair shake.

The Dick Van Dyke Show AND Cheers were just two of the many shows that were at the bottom of the ratings in their first seasons and people like Lucy fought for them to stay on.

Wasn't there a feeling that Lucy was such a ratings powerhouse that she could somehow add life to the moribund ABC network and be another Cosby? I recall reading that somewhere. I was very eager to watch Life with Lucy and vividly remember sitting down to experience what I'm sure would be a great viewing experience. The theme song was perky enough, though I hated the cheapo writing for the title and the credits. And right away, I could tell this was a throwback to Here's Lucy, with everyone talking VERY loudly. No realism here! When Lucy made her entrance carrying a plant, the audience went wild, and I think it was the best moment of the entire series. But it was business as usual, with Lucy doing the vitameatvegimin schtick with some health conconction, doing all the sour faces, etc. I never really cared for the relationship between Gale and Lucy's characters, not even on The Lucy Show. The beauty of Lucy as a character is that she was sometimes a conniver, sometimes a child, sometimes a very sophisticated woman, but someone who always wanted to better herself in some way. It wasn't as a bubble-headed woman who created havoc so a man could scream at her in exasperation. Not even Ricky did that. The whole dynamic of the Lucy enterprise changed when it was Lucy vs. Mooney, then Lucy vs. Harry, then Lucy vs. Curtis. It just never worked.

What Lucy needed was a husband in the show, instead of playing still another widow. Milton Berle would've fit that part perfectly. He was hilarious!

Wasn't there a feeling that Lucy was such a ratings powerhouse that she could somehow add life to the moribund ABC network and be another Cosby? I recall reading that somewhere. I was very eager to watch Life with Lucy and vividly remember sitting down to experience what I'm sure would be a great viewing experience. The theme song was perky enough, though I hated the cheapo writing for the title and the credits. And right away, I could tell this was a throwback to Here's Lucy, with everyone talking VERY loudly. No realism here! When Lucy made her entrance carrying a plant, the audience went wild, and I think it was the best moment of the entire series. But it was business as usual, with Lucy doing the vitameatvegimin schtick with some health conconction, doing all the sour faces, etc. I never really cared for the relationship between Gale and Lucy's characters, not even on The Lucy Show. The beauty of Lucy as a character is that she was sometimes a conniver, sometimes a child, sometimes a very sophisticated woman, but someone who always wanted to better herself in some way. It wasn't as a bubble-headed woman who created havoc so a man could scream at her in exasperation. Not even Ricky did that. The whole dynamic of the Lucy enterprise changed when it was Lucy vs. Mooney, then Lucy vs. Harry, then Lucy vs. Curtis. It just never worked.

What Lucy needed was a husband in the show, instead of playing still another widow. Milton Berle would've fit that part perfectly. He was hilarious!

No, it never worked...just for over 11 plus seasons! lucythrill.JPG Milton BERLE???! Yuk!

YES, BUT they expected her to lead right away, instead they should have let her build an audience while following some established show. YES, the writing and the screaming lines from those actors was bad but what i disliked right away was the lousy show script ideas. Look at Who's the Boss from the same peiord, terrible show, no laughs, all fake, except for the two lady leads. By the time they got it right with Lucy and Audrey Meadows, it was too late. As much as i was never BIG on Gale, good ole one dimensional Gale, showing every emotion from angry to mad, it WAS a GREAT idea to have them in the same family, fighting over some things but the one best scene i remember was the one where he backed her up on the wedding dress, finally they were showing another side of him. Lucy herself talked about the show saying she SHOULD HAVE TRIED SOMETHING NEW, man, she sure got that right. We still wanted a Lucy Ricardo type, now a grandma but her comedy could have been more verbal than slapsticky, more sophisticated but still conniving as you say, a still dating Lucy but with more REAL situations, more contemporary situations, these plots were so simple and they just went nowhere comedically. Yeah, i too would have wanted her married but i guess as long as Desi was still alive she could never bring herself to do that, unfortunately.

Remember though it had been 12 years since Here's Lucy ended and I think considering how successful the Mooney/Carmichael and Carter/Carter "fighting" was, they wanted to capitalise on that and continue down the same path - sadly though it failed.

Remember though it had been 12 years since Here's Lucy ended and I think considering how successful the Mooney/Carmichael and Carter/Carter "fighting" was, they wanted to capitalise on that and continue down the same path - sadly though it failed.

But that's where you're wrong kiddo, the fighting was always the least appealing part of the show for most of the people watching. Funny fighting as in Lucy/Ricky or Lucy/Ethel or any other combo on ILL was fine but the Lucy/Mooney or Carter/ Carter ones were just screaming and ranting and raving and the decibel level got so high that only old people with their hearing aids turned down could actually enjoy it, LOL! :lucythrill: In other words, to many of us it was just the boss driving the employee crazy or for us fans it was the man constantly screaming his head off at our Lucy. :gale1::lucy2:

But that's where you're wrong kiddo, the fighting was always the least appealing part of the show for most of the people watching. Funny fighting as in Lucy/Ricky or Lucy/Ethel or any other combo on ILL was fine but the Lucy/Mooney or Carter/ Carter ones were just screaming and ranting and raving and the decibel level got so high that only old people with their hearing aids turned down could actually enjoy it, LOL! :lucythrill: In other words, to many of us it was just the boss driving the employee crazy or for us fans it was the man constantly screaming his head off at our Lucy. :gale1::lucy2:

To us loyal fans it became irritating but to the occasional watcher it was funny. Personally I found it annoying every episode (apart from the occasional few episodes where they didn't fight - they were the best!)

To us loyal fans it became irritating but to the occasional watcher it was funny. Personally I found it annoying every episode (apart from the occasional few episodes where they didn't fight - they were the best!)

A LOT of people found it annoying, and some just stopped watching after a while. Yes, consistency can be comfortable, but it can also bore the hell outta people after it goes on too long. You see, we're back to the main idea, if they had enjoyed a great relationship most of the time, their fights would not have been so intolerable but because both their characters became one dimensional, she the dummy and he the tyrant, it did become annoying. AND they brought all the past history to this new series instead of making them equals, which they did businesswise at least. BUT, i did enjoy it when she hit his sunburned nose repeatedly, LOL! :marionstrong:

A LOT of people found it annoying, and some just stopped watching after a while. Yes, consistency can be comfortable, but it can also bore the hell outta people after it goes on too long. You see, we're back to the main idea, if they had enjoyed a great relationship most of the time, their fights would not have been so intolerable but because both their characters became one dimensional, she the dummy and he the tyrant, it did become annoying. AND they brought all the past history to this new series instead of making them equals, which they did businesswise at least. BUT, i did enjoy it when she hit his sunburned nose repeatedly, LOL! :marionstrong:

Hear Hear! Well said Claude

The worst part to me was the 2 & 3 season of TLS. You can only find Lucy asking Mr Mooney for money funny for a few episodes. Not almost 2 seasons full of it.

I think I'd rather see Lucy and Gale fighting than watch that annoying video of Zac Ephron over and over again! Not to mention the one of Lucy flipping through that notepad. Once is fine. Even twice ain't bad. But every page is full of both vids. Stop the madness! Why isn't someone playing the Lucy clip of her and Vivian as the witches?

Archived