Any word on Life with Lucy on DVD?

yendor1152

Awww, so sorry! Feel free to bypass my posts, darling! I'll be sure to do the same for yours!

Have a nice life, 'kay? Bye bye!

:lucyhaha:

Funny thing? I adore Zac Efron and I have had a the hugest celebrity crush on him since 2006. I give props to your signature. Please excuse me while I drool... :)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'd rather see Lucy and Gale fighting than watch that annoying video of Zac Ephron over and over again! Not to mention the one of Lucy flipping through that notepad. Once is fine. Even twice ain't bad. But every page is full of both vids. Stop the madness! Why isn't someone playing the Lucy clip of her and Vivian as the witches?

Are you for real? :lucydisgust:

Funny thing? I adore Zac Efron and I have had a the hugest celebrity crush on him since 2006. I give props to your signature. Please excuse me while I drool... :)

Thanks Annaleigh! We'll start our own Zac Drool Bucket-worthy thread! ;):lucythrill:

Ya know, it sure is disheartening when someone so snarkily opinionated comes along in this space where we usually are allowed to be ourselves, do our own thing and share our interests -- aside from LB & Company -- in this forum of free speech. Oh well....to each his own. :lucyblah:

Thanks Annaleigh! We'll start our own Zac Drool Bucket-worthy thread! ;):lucythrill:

Ya know, it sure is disheartening when someone so snarkily opinionated comes along in this space where we usually are allowed to be ourselves, do our own thing and share our interests -- aside from LB & Company -- in this forum of free speech. Oh well....to each his own. :lucyblah:

Hear Hear! Well said, I can't believe what I read!

You're right, it's free speech. And I'm also entitled to speak my mind as a member of the forum.

You guys might all have a fast Internet connection, but I don't. Therefore, animated stuff throws everything off, and I have to sit and wait for it to download. I can understand if this was a Zac Efron site, but it's a Lucy site, isn't it?

As for Lucy flipping the pages, must it be repeated that many times for someone to adequately "express themself?"

You're right, it's free speech. And I'm also entitled to speak my mind as a member of the forum.

You guys might all have a fast Internet connection, but I don't. Therefore, animated stuff throws everything off, and I have to sit and wait for it to download. I can understand if this was a Zac Efron site, but it's a Lucy site, isn't it?

As for Lucy flipping the pages, must it be repeated that many times for someone to adequately "express themself?"

Sorry about your slow connection, but those who have a decent one and can take advantage of the "perks" of this board now shouldn't utilize them?? Plus, Zac and the "flipping the pages" aren't being repeated per se they're part of our respective signatures, which is why they show up on all our posts.

As I mentioned earlier, I respectfully suggest you simply overlook my posts and not read them. I certainly won't be offended! :lucythrill:

I think I'd rather see Lucy and Gale fighting than watch that annoying video of Zac Ephron over and over again! Not to mention the one of Lucy flipping through that notepad. Once is fine. Even twice ain't bad. But every page is full of both vids. Stop the madness! Why isn't someone playing the Lucy clip of her and Vivian as the witches?

How about the galloping Doris Singleton one, that's been driving me nuts for years now, LOL! Well, seems like years anyway, LOL!

Oh come on Joey, no big deal, one person's opinion, which i happen to share when it comes to Doris's gallopin around, keep making those terrific bottom avatars, yours are absolutely fantastic. We all have different tastes and you happened to select mine perfectly, LOL!

Sorry about your slow connection, but those who have a decent one and can take advantage of the "perks" of this board now shouldn't utilize them?? Plus, Zac and the "flipping the pages" aren't being repeated per se they're part of our respective signatures, which is why they show up on all our posts.

As I mentioned earlier, I respectfully suggest you simply overlook my posts and not read them. I certainly won't be offended! :lucythrill:

Who says us Queens can define Bitchy huh? LOL! Well, Lucy was called that many times so i guess we're back on topic, LOL!

Who says us Queens can define Bitchy huh? LOL! Well, Lucy was called that many times so i guess we're back on topic, LOL!

How much Lucy "schtick" was repeated in Life with Lucy? I know the "eating something sour" one was done, but where there any other? I saw one clip where she's trying to hit a bug with a flyswatter, and that was old with The Lucy Show.

And the least you could do was show Zac shirtless, for heaven's sake.

How much Lucy "schtick" was repeated in Life with Lucy? I know the "eating something sour" one was done, but where there any other? I saw one clip where she's trying to hit a bug with a flyswatter, and that was old with The Lucy Show.

And the least you could do was show Zac shirtless, for heaven's sake.

Well, there ya go, you actually liked the Zac thing but you wanted more, it's just that it interfered with your viewing posts as it slowed things down, i can dig it. Yeah, that whole Lifw with Lucy repeating things, yeah, that's why they should have aimed at character humor which is always funnier anyway and more sophisticated VERBAL humor instead of slapsticky old fashioned dated humor.

Well, there ya go, you actually liked the Zac thing but you wanted more, it's just that it interfered with your viewing posts as it slowed things down, i can dig it. Yeah, that whole Lifw with Lucy repeating things, yeah, that's why they should have aimed at character humor which is always funnier anyway and more sophisticated VERBAL humor instead of slapsticky old fashioned dated humor.

I wonder if the verbal humor would've worked--Lucy was never knowm for "verbal reparte," as Mame clearly showed. Her attempts at witticisms in that film fell flat and seemed so out of character. And let's face it, she really was playing Lucy playing "big movie stah."

I didn't mind the slapstick in Life with Lucy. She could still pull it off. What bothered me was the relationship between Lucy and Gale, as established way back during the Mr. Mooney days. It starts with Lucy doing or saying something that sets him off. In The Lucy Show, he'd work himself up into a lather and exclaim, "MRS. CARMICHAEL!" In "The Lucy Show," it was "LUCILLE!" I don't recall if he even called her by name in Life with Lucy. Gale had only one reaction to Lucy--bombast and anger. It didn't work for me. In I Love Lucy, the premise was often an "us against them" scenario--the girls against the boys. Sometimes, the girls fought, which was always hilarious. But they had the buffer of the husbands. Ricky wasn't always angry at Lucy, and he wasn't always an authority figure--not like Gale's characters. In The Lucy Show, Lucy still had Vivian and her great writers. The first season is absolutely the best, right up there with the earlier I Love Lucy's, all because everything gelled beautifully. But when Mr. Mooney entered the picture, the dynamic changed. He was unbending, the "boss," and not a very likeable one, in my opinion. But at least we still had Vivian to help soften the edges. When she left and that wimpy Mary Jane (with the most annoying delivery EVER--reminds me of a female Squidward) became more prominent, all the weight fell on Lucy's shoulders. She could no longer be the little girl with big dreams. Instead, she was always yelling and flailing her arms about and running here and there, while the display of soup cans falls over in the store, or she "accidentally on purpose" pushes someone through a wall or ruins some priceless antique. Suddenly, Lucy became totally slapstick, without the human moments. And I read somewhere that Desi was very protective of the Lucy character and always wanted her shenanigans to originate from a realistic and believable premise. All that went out the window in the 4th season of The Lucy Show and became worse and worse as the other series progressed.

I remember watching Here's Lucy during the fall of 1971. Desi, Jr. had left by then, allegedly to pursue a film career that went in the toilet eventually, and that left the very annoying Lucie, whining and screeching in a loud voice as her mother's surrogate Ethel. The episode I recall most vividly from that fall was the Ginger Rogers one, again a premise that had no basis in real life. And I also noticed how old Lucy looked. I think that was the first time I realized she was getting up there in age. I don't know about you guys, but I preferred my Lucy younger and with a brighter voice. When her voice dropped and the make-up began being applied with a trowel, with an atrocious clown orange wig to top it all off, the whole thing became a satire.

So, getting back to Life With Lucy--I'd love to see the episodes because I want to see if my memory of them as horrid is accurate. The loud-mouthed kids, the too bubbly daughter and stick in the mud nerdy husband, the wacky handyman at the store, and a "guest starring" appearance by John Ritter, again a premise that probably would not happen in real life. These are all coalescing in my mind, and I need an actual DVD set to straighten them out. Bring on Life with Lucy!

I wonder if the verbal humor would've worked--Lucy was never knowm for "verbal reparte," as Mame clearly showed. Her attempts at witticisms in that film fell flat and seemed so out of character. And let's face it, she really was playing Lucy playing "big movie stah."

I didn't mind the slapstick in Life with Lucy. She could still pull it off. What bothered me was the relationship between Lucy and Gale, as established way back during the Mr. Mooney days. It starts with Lucy doing or saying something that sets him off. In The Lucy Show, he'd work himself up into a lather and exclaim, "MRS. CARMICHAEL!" In "The Lucy Show," it was "LUCILLE!" I don't recall if he even called her by name in Life with Lucy. Gale had only one reaction to Lucy--bombast and anger. It didn't work for me. In I Love Lucy, the premise was often an "us against them" scenario--the girls against the boys. Sometimes, the girls fought, which was always hilarious. But they had the buffer of the husbands. Ricky wasn't always angry at Lucy, and he wasn't always an authority figure--not like Gale's characters. In The Lucy Show, Lucy still had Vivian and her great writers. The first season is absolutely the best, right up there with the earlier I Love Lucy's, all because everything gelled beautifully. But when Mr. Mooney entered the picture, the dynamic changed. He was unbending, the "boss," and not a very likeable one, in my opinion. But at least we still had Vivian to help soften the edges. When she left and that wimpy Mary Jane (with the most annoying delivery EVER--reminds me of a female Squidward) became more prominent, all the weight fell on Lucy's shoulders. She could no longer be the little girl with big dreams. Instead, she was always yelling and flailing her arms about and running here and there, while the display of soup cans falls over in the store, or she "accidentally on purpose" pushes someone through a wall or ruins some priceless antique. Suddenly, Lucy became totally slapstick, without the human moments. And I read somewhere that Desi was very protective of the Lucy character and always wanted her shenanigans to originate from a realistic and believable premise. All that went out the window in the 4th season of The Lucy Show and became worse and worse as the other series progressed.

I remember watching Here's Lucy during the fall of 1971. Desi, Jr. had left by then, allegedly to pursue a film career that went in the toilet eventually, and that left the very annoying Lucie, whining and screeching in a loud voice as her mother's surrogate Ethel. The episode I recall most vividly from that fall was the Ginger Rogers one, again a premise that had no basis in real life. And I also noticed how old Lucy looked. I think that was the first time I realized she was getting up there in age. I don't know about you guys, but I preferred my Lucy younger and with a brighter voice. When her voice dropped and the make-up began being applied with a trowel, with an atrocious clown orange wig to top it all off, the whole thing became a satire.

So, getting back to Life With Lucy--I'd love to see the episodes because I want to see if my memory of them as horrid is accurate. The loud-mouthed kids, the too bubbly daughter and stick in the mud nerdy husband, the wacky handyman at the store, and a "guest starring" appearance by John Ritter, again a premise that probably would not happen in real life. These are all coalescing in my mind, and I need an actual DVD set to straighten them out. Bring on Life with Lucy!

Wow, great post, even if i disagree with lots of it . . . bullshit on Lucy not being able to do verbal repartee, her timing might have been a little off and difficulty in getting her lines out but watch Betty White today and you'll see that's normal with age. Lucy could always do verbal repartee, even if it was with stupid ass lame bob hope jokes that dated back to Mark Twain. Blame the horrible Mame script for Lucy's inability to deliver comedy well, not Lucy herself, Mame had one thing going for it, great music, and what was Lucy going to do with just music? Everything you say about Gale is true, i won't go into it here remembering that the Lord and Master of this site is his biggest fan. Nuff said! Now you happened to pick a great show to criticize, the Ginger Rogers one you mentionned, Lucy looks terrific for her age and at that time, she still had the legs, the vivacity to BE the show with her energy and personality. Desi jr's career in movies ended because of drugs, not his lack of talent, he was always one of the best things about Here's Lucy, i agree also with everything you said about Lucie, again due more to the lousy scripts than her lack of talent. Those kids were great then and are still remembered fondly NOW, the only BAD thing i ever did see them do was that horrible impression of their parents on that Thalians tribute, but as long as Lucy liked it, so be it. Lucy always was Lucy even if the writers didn't always supply the goods, she, like Bob Hope endured with lousy material as the years went on because people loved her to death and remembered her best moments. Now, Life with Lucy, no, you're right, it WAS bad, the writing and delivery, most of the cast but especially that horrible writing. If her asshole husband had paired her with Hollywood's best, surrounded her with great supporting players and given her funny but VERBAL and SOPHISTICATED scripts, Lucy would have delivered them a TV Elaine Stritch. Every time i hear Ladies who lunch or I'm still here, i think of her and the acid delivery she was capable of, as a matter of fact, the best career move gary could have gotten her was a show on Broadway playing a Tallulah like character with the acid tongue or voice overs on cartoon type movies, NOT a reboot of her old format with the same old tired people and their same old tired ideas.

No matter how many people may not like this show or think Lucy lacked at her performance. I will still wanna see all episodes on DVD. I'm sure MPI will release it in the next coming years. C'mon LWL is probably more famous or equally as known as those specials. Lucy fans will eat those up because these episodes are rare to many, including me. I've only seen 2 episodes and it drives me crazy I haven't seen the rest yet. Plus the episodes will more than likely be remastered and way more easier to watch compared to the quality of YouTube or those bootlegged copies.

*cough* CLAUDE! *cough* :gary:

Just kidding.

:hlLOL:

No matter how many people may not like this show or think Lucy lacked at her performance. I will still wanna see all episodes on DVD. I'm sure MPI will release it in the next coming years. C'mon LWL is probably more famous or equally as known as those specials. Lucy fans will eat those up because these episodes are rare to many, including me. I've only seen 2 episodes and it drives me crazy I haven't seen the rest yet. Plus the episodes will more than likely be remastered and way more easier to watch compared to the quality of YouTube or those bootlegged copies.

*cough* CLAUDE! *cough* :gary:

Just kidding.

:hlLOL:

Get off my back lady! LOL! Beau said he would DO them next time he's here, this last visit was to hook me up computer wise, so you should have them in a few weeks or less.

Wouldn't it have been great if somewhere along the line--and I doubt this could've been done with Life with Lucy, since he was ill--Desi had made an appearance in a Lucy show? They apparently got along, except for her infrequent dumping on him, and were business partners long after their divorce. Think of the ratings that episode would've garnered! Wonder why that never happened?

Archived