YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT LUCILLE

Irene Kampen Tripp

I think the Lucille Ball story is a tremendous UNDERDOG story. When she started out, Joan Blondell and Bette Davis were in the same acting school with her. Joan Crawford was a BIG star when Lucille arrived in Hollywood... Barbara Stynwyck and Ida Lupino and Rita Hayworth and Claudette Coubert.. Most of her peers were MOVIE STARS and she pretty much was Queen of the B pictures.. AND the tide turned and her peers were all but fogotten.. and Lucille was the UNDISPUTED Queen of TV. I really like that part of the Lucille story... Gives me hope everyday!

I think the Lucille Ball story is a tremendous UNDERDOG story. When she started out, Joan Blondell and Bette Davis were in the same acting school with her. Joan Crawford was a BIG star when Lucille arrived in Hollywood... Barbara Stynwyck and Ida Lupino and Rita Hayworth and Claudette Coubert.. Most of her peers were MOVIE STARS and she pretty much was Queen of the B pictures.. AND the tide turned and her peers were all but fogotten.. and Lucille was the UNDISPUTED Queen of TV. I really like that part of the Lucille story... Gives me hope everyday!

My thoughts, as well (but, leaving out the names you've mentioned) because I believe she learned from each of them in some way; but, most of her 'heroes/mentors, etc.' were MEN; and add to the fact (for me personally...) that SHE was an 'escapee' of my hometown!

Yet, after all the 'gossip' surrounding her early childhood and 'career', she came back and was humble enough to invite friends from her childhood to come visit with her. I'm told most of THOSE INVITES were to men, as well; and asked they not bring their wives, so she could 'interact' personally with each without the 'green-eyed monster' lurking by each of their side(s).

I've never heard even ONE BAD COMMENT that came from that 'reception'....

....except, from those 'green-eyed monsters', of course.

Lucy's strength is the thing that always stood out to me. We all know this gal went through heaven and hell in her life but she stayed strong through it all and continued to fight. Even taking control of that studio and becoming the boss, she knew she had to become a stronger more firm person to get the job done! That ability to have such problems in her home life but being able to make people laugh day after day, week after week. Her dedication for her work and her love of performing is another love. Her art of comedy, watching her is spectacular. A Picaso at comedy timing. It was just her that got me to appreciate all comedy and get into silent movies and adore slapstick. Her liberal views for the human race, here I go with my equal opportunity rights! Haha.

Lucy's strength is number one though. The reason she became my inspiration.

Lucy's strength is the thing that always stood out to me. We all know this gal went through heaven and hell in her life but she stayed strong through it all and continued to fight. Even taking control of that studio and becoming the boss, she knew she had to become a stronger more firm person to get the job done! That ability to have such problems in her home life but being able to make people laugh day after day, week after week. Her dedication for her work and her love of performing is another love. Her art of comedy, watching her is spectacular. A Picaso at comedy timing. It was just her that got me to appreciate all comedy and get into silent movies and adore slapstick. Her liberal views for the human race, here I go with my equal opportunity rights! Haha.

Lucy's strength is number one though. The reason she became my inspiration.

Sorry, can't think of a thing, never really cared for the woman.

Oh. You aren't a starry eyed blind fan?! :D

Ques ce que c'est, BLIND FAN? Oh yeah, T H A T ? Well, i guess so, kinda. Been one since the age of five, admire her talent, her perseverance, her hard work ethic, the way she was able to balance everything with her one drawer at a time thinking mode, her philosaphy on religion, her lifelong obsession to succeed, her helping others her entire life, her always taking care of family and friends and making sure they were always at the center of her life, even if she did not always do enough playing with her children when guests stayed over at the house. Her fostering her kids' ambitions and encouraging and helping along their getting into the family business. Her learning NOT to spoil her kids and always being there when they needed her. Her caring about the 3000 employees at the studio when she went skiing SPOOKED fearing she'd break a leg and put them out of a job. Her being able to find the love of her life and keeping him at her side or in her thoughts every day of that life till the day she died. Her being able to put out the waterworks every time she thought of one of them being gone but never out of her thoughts for one second. Her famous motto that without your health, you ain't got nothin which was so true. She learned that one the hard way. :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::luciedesi:

Ques ce que c'est, BLIND FAN? Oh yeah, T H A T ? Well, i guess so, kinda. Been one since the age of five, admre her talent, her perseverance, her hard work ethic, the way she was able to balance everything with her one drawer at a time thinking mode, her philosaphy on religion, her lifelong obsession to succeed, her helping others her entire life, her always taking care of family and friends and making sure they were always at the center of her life, even if she did not always do enough playing with her children when guests stayed over at the house. Her fostering her kids' ambitions and encouraging and helping along their getting into the family business. Her learning NOT to spoil her kids and always being there when they needed her. Her caring about the 3000 employees at the studio when she went skiing SPOKKED fearing she'd break a leg and put them out of a job. Her being able to find the love of her life and keeping him at her side or in her thoughts every day of that life till the day she died. Her being able to put out the waterworks every time she thought of one of them being gone but never out of her thoughts for one second. Her famous motto that without your health, you ain't got nothin which was so true. She learned that one the hard way. :peachonthebeach::professor::lucydesi::luciedesi:

BEAUTIFUL CLAUDE. Couldn't have said it any better.

I dunno, I'm not too crazy about her choices in television programming (Three's Company) or her culinary taste (mayonaisse on Jell-O). :marionstrong:

I can't speak to the Jell-O thing...but I'm sure 3's Company had much more to do with her admiration and affection for John RITter than it did with the actual program! :lucythrill:

I can't speak to the Jell-O thing...but I'm sure 3's Company had much more to do with her admiration and affection for John RITter than it did with the actual program! :lucythrill:

How could she not like that show? It was all about misunderstandings, people thinking they saw or hearing something that wasn't really happening, sort of like I Love Lucy dontcha thin? And yes, Lucy always suffered from Ritteritis, after all, he did the same slapsticky things she pioneered.

I dunno, I'm not too crazy about her choices in television programming (Three's Company) or her culinary taste (mayonaisse on Jell-O). :marionstrong:

YOU know what?? I tried mayo on jello because in Tannen's book he says that is what they would have at the dinner table.. and it really is kinda good.. A N D .. with sugar free jello it is very low carb.. just sayin.. Veal with vermicelli sounds good... and I like her choice in bourbon.. never tried a Chesterfield but do smoke a phillip morris brand... I tried that Poulley Foussie stuff she supposedly liked and HATED it.. I have always wanted to give a pary where the drinks and foods were Lucified! Maybe around her birthday this coming year I will throw one together!

YOU crack me up soooooooo freakin much!

Well, that IS my goal in life. Like Lucy, as i get older especially, i hate getting bored and just love to stir things up, remember the story by Lucie of her mom waiting for a friend to leave the room and then saying as that person returned to the group surrounding her, well, why don't you say that to her face? It's funny, i don't always succeed, God knows, but laughter being so important in our lives, AND you can imagine how many posts i've made about Lucy since i joined the net group on so many sites, this being the all time best of course. You repeat the same stories, talk about the same subjects and after a while, discussing her shoe size just gets me into a MOOD for something more interesting or tantalizing and so we insert taboo subjects or add snippets that interest us and just hope for the best. As I've said many times before, we're not curing cancer here, we're just getting together as friends, discussing our favorite female entertainer and her remarkable life.

YOU know what?? I tried mayo on jello because in Tannen's book he says that is what they would have at the dinner table.. and it really is kinda good.. A N D .. with sugar free jello it is very low carb.. just sayin.. Veal with vermicelli sounds good... and I like her choice in bourbon.. never tried a Chesterfield but do smoke a phillip morris brand... I tried that Poulley Foussie stuff she supposedly liked and HATED it.. I have always wanted to give a pary where the drinks and foods were Lucified! Maybe around her birthday this coming year I will throw one together!

You mean like that picnic they had when they all got together after she passed on? Yeah, true, sounds great. Don't forget that Brock just hates MAYO with a passion, hence his bringing that up. I'm not BIG on J E L L O but i still respect the fact that she had simple tastes in food, was a meat and potatoes MAN as she said in that blooper, but she was in real life, only five or so menu choices at dinner. Remember her hating that menu at the Kennedy Center dinner as it was quail or something, i can certainly understand that. She also used to tell a story of her having her first artechoke in her starlet days and looking to someone else, i think a Marx brother to know how to eat it. :marionstrong:

Archived