YOUR FAVORITE THING ABOUT LUCILLE

Irene Kampen Tripp

I was watching parts of the Lucy in London special last night.. and I remembered another thing that I like about Lucille.. and that is her TRUTH and HONESTY ... which comes through so well.. especially in that special Lucy In London... when she is sitting there in the blue suit with the spotlight.. that is a very moving moment and makes me fall in love with her all over again! (I fall in love with her often!! Especially now that I have her other works to remind me why she is my favorite!)

Okay.. I don't know what a g i f is... so you will have to update me.. I am soo outta touch!

Graphics Interchange Format - GIF files are great for small icons and animated images, but they lack the color range to be used for high-quality photos. I guess it's the format you put moving images into. So an animated image would be .GIF

I love her talent first and foremost of course but I also love her humanity which always shines through her work and in her interviews. These people who go around talking about how "tough" she was never consider all the unprecedented stuff she had to deal with as an actress and star. Well, maybe Mary Pickford in the silent era but for Lucy after the 1950's it was for life.

I love her honesty which is I think the real thing about her that rubbed people the wrong way in phony Hollywood. People want to hear what they want to hear, not the truth. She was extremely blunt but as Carol Burnett has noted there was no malice behind it, it was cutting to the chase and getting to the root of the issue.

I love her modesty, she was the biggest star of them all but always impressed with she saw genuine talent (and often supportive when she saw rather underwhelming talent as well IMO), always extremely generous with her praise. Her shows may have been called Lucy this and Lucy that but she always remembered her co-workers when being interviewed about the shows and praised their contributions as invaluable. Another wonderful example of her modesty can be found on that 1950 radio interview recently posted where the interviewer starts off by mentioning Dorothy Lamour was the previous guest and talked about how Dorothy had mentioned how important Bob Hope has been for her career and Lucy comments she thinks she actually owes him more because Dorothy was already a big star before she worked with Bob and is a bigger name than she (Lucy) is, how many actresses could you imagine would mention a contemporary by name and point out that person was a bigger star than them? (She could be overly modest though; I don't think she was "queen of the B's" - she was barely in true B movies, just 1938-39 before moving on to major starring films, all of her 1940's films are big budget "A" movies. They may not be on the level of Hepburn and Davis vehicles in terms of importance but they were not B movies.)

Perhaps my very favorite thing about Lucy though is that she is so damn lovable. She puts a smile on your face just thinking about her and she can always pull you out of a bad mood or depression with her personality and talent.

I love her talent first and foremost of course but I also love her humanity which always shines through her work and in her interviews. These people who go around talking about how "tough" she was never consider all the unprecedented stuff she had to deal with as an actress and star. Well, maybe Mary Pickford in the silent era but for Lucy after the 1950's it was for life.

I love her honesty which is I think the real thing about her that rubbed people the wrong way in phony Hollywood. People want to hear what they want to hear, not the truth. She was extremely blunt but as Carol Burnett has noted there was no malice behind it, it was cutting to the chase and getting to the root of the issue.

I love her modesty, she was the biggest star of them all but always impressed with she saw genuine talent (and often supportive when she saw rather underwhelming talent as well IMO), always extremely generous with her praise. Her shows may have been called Lucy this and Lucy that but she always remembered her co-workers when being interviewed about the shows and praised their contributions as invaluable. Another wonderful example of her modesty can be found on that 1950 radio interview recently posted where the interviewer starts off by mentioning Dorothy Lamour was the previous guest and talked about how Dorothy had mentioned how important Bob Hope has been for her career and Lucy comments she thinks she actually owes him more because Dorothy was already a big star before she worked with Bob and is a bigger name than she (Lucy) is, how many actresses could you imagine would mention a contemporary by name and point out that person was a bigger star than them? (She could be overly modest though; I don't think she was "queen of the B's" - she was barely in true B movies, just 1938-39 before moving on to major starring films, all of her 1940's films are big budget "A" movies. They may not be on the level of Hepburn and Davis vehicles in terms of importance but they were not B movies.)

Perhaps my very favorite thing about Lucy though is that she is so damn lovable. She puts a smile on your face just thinking about her and she can always pull you out of a bad mood or depression with her personality and talent.

Very well said and i agree about the B's. Also true is that as talented as she was, her humanity took over at some point, she was just a warm generous caring thoughtful though blunt lady who yes, cut to the chase, as she knew how valuable her time was and she never wanted to waste it with nonsense.

I was watching parts of the Lucy in London special last night.. and I remembered another thing that I like about Lucille.. and that is her TRUTH and HONESTY ... which comes through so well.. especially in that special Lucy In London... when she is sitting there in the blue suit with the spotlight.. that is a very moving moment and makes me fall in love with her all over again! (I fall in love with her often!! Especially now that I have her other works to remind me why she is my favorite!)

One of my all time favorite Lucy scenes. You just feel her emotion in that scene. That scene makes me feel like I did when I first saw Lucy. Sometimes she can just simply smile and I get emotional. I love her, don't know what I would do without Miss Ball!

Exactly how I feel. Remarkable woman.

That is such a great scene. It is so classic to see Lucy there with her raw emotion of excitement, happiness, awe. It is very moving. I too love Lucy's honesty, humanitarian efforts and her devotion to the little people who make her a star.

That is such a great scene. It is so classic to see Lucy there with her raw emotion of excitement, happiness, awe. It is very moving. I too love Lucy's honesty, humanitarian efforts and her devotion to the little people who make her a star.

Lucy helped her famiy and friends and even total strangers her entire life and most of that we never even heard of. That's when you know it's all genuine, when the person doesn't just want credit for doing what they're doing.

Archived