It's the little things they do together...

Does anyone have any favourite "little moments" within an episode that lends it that certain something, an extra little laugh, a dash of extra charm, or just something groovy?

I was watching a bit of ILL Season Three tonight and three things inspired this thread:

1) Bill putting his arm around Lucy when the latter sits down on the living room rock in Ricky's Hawaiian Vacation. Just a small, fleeting moment that shows so much warmth between both the characters and the actors.

2) The glee and pride in which Doris Singleton gave Carolyn Appleby when she hits her big note on the drums in Lucy's Club Dance. It never fails to make me smile.

3) Lucy's napkin going flying in Lucy Is Envious before she and Ethel are supposed to hit their husbands with them. Love watching her cheeks puff out in mock frustration before rooting around for the napkin, grabbing it, and commencing to hit as planned. What a trooper!

• Like 1

1. The way Ethel taps the salad tongs on the bowel to get the excess dressing off. (and I don't know WHY I like this)

2. Another Ethel moment: In the beginning of "LA at Last" when she comes in the Ricardo suite and says "Lucy? Have you seen my little bag...oh, there it is."

3. Mrs. McGillicuddy in "Train": "It's says Compartment "B""

4. Lucy casually moving her scarf when it blows into her face in "Staten Island Ferry" (instead of milking it as a bit)

5. In "Business Manager" when Fred proudly slaps his chest twice in rapid succession after saying "And it's on ME"

6. In "Ethel's Birthday" when Fred sneaks up after dinner and appears at the door, Lucy's reaction is SO genuine. She knows it's Fred but it's dark and he's unexpected. It's a quick underplayed reaction, then she catches herself and says "Oh, Fred" with a little annoyance--EXACTLY like anyone would. It's these things that make the show so REAL.

This is a great thread idea.

I loved when Ricky/Desi flubbed the English/Spanish translation in Cuban Pals & cracked himself up :lol: .

After Ricky, Fred & Ethel get tipped off by a phone call that Lucy is hiding outside the window on a ledge, I love the priceless expression on Lucy's face when she pops her head back in. I think it is the only time I ever saw her make that face.

When Little Ricky performs a drum solo & you can hear Desi in the background cheering him on. It's obvious he is truly fond of him & proud of his talent as a drummer.

Hearing Lucy's mom DeeDee say "Uh-oh!" from the audience in so many episodes. :lucyhaha:

When Lucy is pregnant & they both get emotional after he sings the baby song. I've seen that so many times & I still think it is so sweet.

• Like 1

Lucy's "Oh, hello Ed!" in 'Face to Face"....after watching her rehearse it a few times, the way she finally delivered it on-air was just too priceless!

Lucy's disgruntled cough after Ethel delivers her "My Story" speech in 'Ethel's Home Town"

Lucy's little trip up the stairs in 'The Fashion Show'. It was so genuine and honest, just what someone mildly flustered and happy would do and how she'd react.

Lucy's response of "Mertz?" to Ethel when confronted by Rock Hudson. She was so flustered she truly had forgotten Ethel's last name for a minute.

When Ethel's searching through the box of candy and she grimaces and mutters "Jelly!" before tossing it away. I don't care for the jelly ones either!

The look on Ricky's face whenever Lucy catches him fibbing or doing something sneaky. It's so great to see the tables turn once in a while and Desi handled those scenes beautifully.

• Like 1

Lucy's response of "Mertz?" to Ethel when confronted by Rock Hudson. She was so flustered she truly had forgotten Ethel's last name for a minute.

When Ethel's searching through the box of candy and she grimaces and mutters "Jelly!" before tossing it away. I don't care for the jelly ones either!

:marionstrong:

I finished watching In Palm Springs not three minutes ago and came back just to post these two. LOL

Another, this one from Lucy Writes A Novel:

When Vivian makes the executive decision to repeat her "Blaze of Glory" line, seemingly because Ethel's first utterance of the line didn't get a big enough laugh.

One of my all time favorite Lucy moments is Lucy returning backstage after "vancing with Dan." The way she clenches her fists and touches her face. It's such a genuine moment. I was so happy when they focused in on it in Finding Lucy.

I agree, and I think it was terrific of Fran Dresher to focus on it. I love that it's one of her favourite moments from the show, but sadly one that tends to get overlooked by the public at large.

The many times Ethel (our dear Vivian) makes a face before delivering a line.. Viv is sooooo real and honest.. I totally believe evertything she does.. "I have three knives"... "I pushed that pushed that piece of junk to three places and they can't fix it and won't buy it"... "Common sense has nothing to do with it.. When I say he's wrong.. HE'S WRONG!"

- The Ricardos Switch Apartments: Ethel justifying her dessert, "and with whipped cream, I'm hungry!"

- The Benefit: Ricky's kick after his "football coach" joke.

- The Benefit: Lucy giving an off-screen Ethel the once-over after Fred says, "You keep out of this, Whirlaway!"

- I'm drawing a blank on the episode (I want to say Redecorating, but I think that's wrong) but the speed in which Fred downs his grape juice at the drug store counter.

I agree, and I think it was terrific of Fran Dresher to focus on it. I love that it's one of her favourite moments from the show, but sadly one that tends to get overlooked by the public at large.

At various times "Dancing Star" has been my #1 favorite episodes for the reasons stated above PLUS

Ethel's : FRED!!! as he enters and says hello to Carolyn as Ethel's trying to hustle her out the door after faking the phone call to "Fred, old girl".

Lucy after realizing Carolyn's got her glasses: "Give me 15 minutes". It's such a great Lucy Ricardo character line. She doesn't have a plan yet but knows she can come up with one...and we do too. I always love the quick-thinking Lucy, a characteristic missing in the post BBBM years of TLS and HL.

Lucy, so proud of herself, after returning from the pool that she's pulled one over on Carolyn and sort of repeats Carolyn's line about her plans (can't remember the actual line) like George Burns does when he's finishing Gracie's punchline

And this, ONE of the greatest sequences in all of I Love Lucy-dom, chock-full of great little things one right after another after Van calls the Ricardo suite

Ricky: My wife?

Ricky's look when he hands her the phone

Lucy's smug walk to the phone

Lucy answering "Hello, Van" in that casual way as if they're old friends

Lucy explaining to the group "Van's partner is ill....etc."

Lucy: I'm off to rehearsal

The walk to the door after this line

Lucy's exit out the door. Not a wasted gesture. Polishing her knuckles (know what I mean?) and that final deadpan look as she turns to exit.

Ricky's look during this whole thing.

I agree thoroughly about the excitement Lucy shows after the number when she's alone and have to chime in that it was great of Fran to point this out. What's so amazing about this little scene is that it probably was not done directly in sequence since it's a different set. She was able to carry that emotion during what was probably a little break in filming. That's REAL acting!!

- The Ricardos Switch Apartments: Ethel justifying her dessert, "and with whipped cream, I'm hungry!"

- The Benefit: Ricky's kick after his "football coach" joke.

- The Benefit: Lucy giving an off-screen Ethel the once-over after Fred says, "You keep out of this, Whirlaway!"

- I'm drawing a blank on the episode (I want to say Redecorating, but I think that's wrong) but the speed in which Fred downs his grape juice at the drug store counter.

I believe the last one you are referring to is Fred and Ethel Fight.

Does it have to be something from a Lucy episode? Because I really like the moment between Lucy and Little Lucie in the extras section of the Here's Lucy DVDs (I can't remember which season). It's where Lucie's auditioning for a part in "Yours, Mine, and Ours" and she and her mom hug. The look on Lucy's face -- screw those people who say she couldn't nurture or show love to her kids. I don't think she was acting there. I love that part. :peachonthebeach:

• Like 1

From "Ethel's Birthday": Lucille's delivery reading off Ricky's cards attached to the emergency present. Her "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" is a particular gem.

Ethel's Birthday: another episode that is gem-packed.

Here's a LITTLE little thing about the reading of the cards: that slight pause before she says "Oh, here's a pip". It adds believability because she's ACTUALLY reading it.

Her line reading of her assessment of the hostess pants: "I think they're kinda cute".

That loving look of sympathy she gives Fred after he says "She doesn't seem ta like the presents I buy her."

In Lucy Plays Cleopartra:

After she gives her impromptu audition of Professor Gitterman "So sweet ladies...and thy ax as sharp as a serpent's tooth.", she does this little hand gesture to dismiss them that's so GRAND.

At various times "Dancing Star" has been my #1 favorite episodes for the reasons stated above PLUS

Ethel's : FRED!!! as he enters and says hello to Carolyn as Ethel's trying to hustle her out the door after faking the phone call to "Fred, old girl".

Lucy after realizing Carolyn's got her glasses: "Give me 15 minutes". It's such a great Lucy Ricardo character line. She doesn't have a plan yet but knows she can come up with one...and we do too. I always love the quick-thinking Lucy, a characteristic missing in the post BBBM years of TLS and HL.

Lucy, so proud of herself, after returning from the pool that she's pulled one over on Carolyn and sort of repeats Carolyn's line about her plans (can't remember the actual line) like George Burns does when he's finishing Gracie's punchline

And this, ONE of the greatest sequences in all of I Love Lucy-dom, chock-full of great little things one right after another after Van calls the Ricardo suite

Ricky: My wife?

Ricky's look when he hands her the phone

Lucy's smug walk to the phone

Lucy answering "Hello, Van" in that casual way as if they're old friends

Lucy explaining to the group "Van's partner is ill....etc."

Lucy: I'm off to rehearsal

The walk to the door after this line

Lucy's exit out the door. Not a wasted gesture. Polishing her knuckles (know what I mean?) and that final deadpan look as she turns to exit.

Ricky's look during this whole thing.

I agree thoroughly about the excitement Lucy shows after the number when she's alone and have to chime in that it was great of Fran to point this out. What's so amazing about this little scene is that it probably was not done directly in sequence since it's a different set. She was able to carry that emotion during what was probably a little break in filming. That's REAL acting!!

I agree with everything here. I think The Dancing Star marks Lucy's finest performance. Lucy exiting the room "off to rehearsal" is outstanding. There's also Lucy's glare at Ethel after she tells Caroline "maybe Charlie'll let you stay." The only thing comparable to it is her glare at Mary Jane's why dotcha buy it?" in "Lucy and Pat Collins, but nothing tops The Dancing Star.

And then there's this moment...

tumblr_m7ji3wngUT1qzipuw.gif

Runner-up for Lucy's best I Love Lucy performance, in my opinion, is the very next episode they filmed: Ricky Needs an Agent. Every moment in Walter Reilly's office is perfection. A highlight is Lucy's gesture that accompanies "Annnnd, every finger points to you, Walter Reilly."

And then there's this moment...

tumblr_m7ji3wngUT1qzipuw.gif

:hlLOL: !!!!

Runner-up for Lucy's best I Love Lucy performance, in my opinion, is the very next episode they filmed: Ricky Needs an Agent. Every moment in Walter Reilly's office is perfection. A highlight is Lucy's gesture that accompanies "Annnnd, every finger points to you, Walter Reilly."

Your runner up is my #1 and I agree with everything you say here. My personal favourite gesture in the office scene is the glove slap after Walter picks up the phone.