It's the little things they do together...

Lucy & The Professor -- I love the little scene at the end between Lucy and Harry when Harry is dancing with the hot blonde; from Harry's dace moves, to Lucy's reaction spotting them, the look of disgust on Lucy's face, Harry's fear, followed by Lucy's silent (to us) admonishment followed by mocking.

So many different laughs within one little 33 second scene.

AGREED! When I first saw it, I actually laughed out loud--something I rarely did with a Here's Lucy. So unexpected, a hilarious moment tacked on to the end of a rather bland episode.

Here's another little thing I've always loved: Lucy's various postures during her demonstration for Frank Aletter of the "musical game" she and Viv play. "Go ahead, dear" and how she's thinking HARD of the answer "15th, 16th and 17th measures"---the little hand gesture/pointing she does as she says "17th measure"

• 2 months later...

Ah yes, such a cute moment.

Another one I like I think is in Little Ricky Learns to Play the Drums. Ricky says he needs to shave, Lucy grabs his cheecks with one hand and says " oh you look fine".

Yeah, everything always looked so natural and real, like we were just eavesdropping like one critic once said.

• 1 month later...

Lucy And Wayne Newton (HL season 2) When Lucy accidentally brands Uncle Harry, the look on her face is PRICELESS. I had/have it as my signature currently but it's not showing up anymore. wtf? I want to make it into a gif but don't know how. 

Ricky's >:-) scowl to Lucy, after he discovers that the maid DID come into the hotel room while Lucy was sleeping. And when he checks the wastebasket for the carnation and it's gone. 

When Lucy counts her fingers to see if all of them are in tact when she reaches into the piranha tank in the Greenback episode. 

I caught Madame--WHOOPS! 

Ethel going "That's MY sandwich!" and grabbing it in the No Children Allowed episode

Lucy's face while dressed as a bellhop, when she is told to go into the bathroom while Cornel Wilde is taking a bath, and he's obviously naked. 

Ricky's  :obrien: face when he discovers he pulled one of his own socks out of the magic hat in Ethel's Hometown 

Viv's "Now you'll have to call him Kris Krinkled!" then there's a beat and she starts laughing. 

Lucy's famous face when she has a mouthful of chocolate just as the forewoman comes back in the room. 

Ball had some of the best timing of any comedienne. I would've loved to get some acting tips from her if I ever was an extra on one of her shows. 

Someone point this out to me in "Ethel's Birthday".

After the firghti in the Mertz apartment and Lucy slaps the tickets back into Fred's hand, she goes back to her place next to Ricky to deliver her line in a 2-shot.  She realizes she's not quite on her mark.  WATCH HER FEET in the wide shot as she shifts slightly to her left--stage right.

Watching the episode where she meets her mother in law today, I was just struck by her performance.  This woman doesn't ACT, she just becomes the character, and everything she does is so subtle and REAL.  I think this is one of the best shows she ever did performance wise, I was never so pleased with her performance, it's just flawless.

Again, today, on Ricky's contract offer, her every move is perfect, so natural and real, her performance just flawless.  No wonder they said we felt like we were eavesdropping on the Ricardos, it certainly looks like we are as she's just being and we get to see her every move and even that annoying camera moving past the set and the walls are not there so it makes it look even more like we're pulling a Rear Window type snooping while the lady does her magic for us.  Houdini could not have done better. 

• 1 month later...

Greg in Hollywood, today, said one can never tire of watching I Love Lucy.  He also had everybody from the show compete with others over the past months and even had the nerve to put Lucy up against gay icon, on a gay website yet, JUDY Garland, but Lucy beat her handily.  He had Viv winning also, as well as Gale.  I forget who they had to beat, but they did.

Ethel preparing for her "Operetta" audition.  Poses, tosses her head back, then repositions her hands.

Also like the casual,almost challenging way at the end of her audition how she throws the line away "now you".  Is this the first episode where we find out that Ethel/Vivian is actually an accomplished singer?

Watching it recently (Hallmark? Me-TV?) they CUT the little scene where Ethel and Ricky discuss Lucy's singing and the entire cast joining in.

(They might as well cut the strawberries reference in the Tallulah episode!  Wait a minute.....THEY DID.)

Lucy's reaction when she starts "I am the Queen of the Gypsies" and realizes she has back up singers is priceless...SO genuine.  As is her startled take, when she sings "I took the..." very quietly and the girls blast "WING!!" behind her (I think that's what they're singing).

"Operetta" is a perfect episode from start to finish....not a single wasted moment.

My ONLY gripe...... well there's 2:  Ricky lipping to his pre-recorded "I am Da Good Prince Lancelot" stands out and seems unnecessary.

And there's one shot during the mayhem of the last scene where you can see one of the pleasant peasant girls waiting in the wings for her cue to be chased across the stage.

I wonder WHERE they found the Pleasant Peasant girls.  They were wonderful.

And by the way the way Ethel says "well TEN dollars" as if it's nothing.  That sawbuck would be $88 today!!

Lucy's reaction when she starts "I am the Queen of the Gypsies" and realizes she has back up singers is priceless...SO genuine.  As is her startled take, when she sings "I took the..." very quietly and the girls blast "WING!!" behind her (I think that's what they're singing).

"Operetta" is a perfect episode from start to finish....not a single wasted moment.

My ONLY gripe...... well there's 2:  Ricky lipping to his pre-recorded "I am Da Good Prince Lancelot" stands out and seems unnecessary.

And there's one shot during the mayhem of the last scene where you can see one of the pleasant peasant girls waiting in the wings for her cue to be chased across the stage.

All the things you mention are pure gold. Especially "......Andtheeyeofagnat! (EYE OF A GNAT!)" And how Fred is wheeled away even while he's still acting as the wedding minister. 

They should've given Lucy a chance. I think she would've done fine. 

One other thing that I often think about is in "Lucy Helps the Countess" (TLS season 4, where they're trapped in that apartment) and all they have is a single apple left by a construction worker, and Lucy asks Mr. Mooney if he wants some breakfast, out of that one apple. I love how Lucy considers it breakfast, lol. Even if it's all they have. 

"I woke up with the strangest taste of PUTTY in my mouth!" 

• 1 month later...