It's the little things they do together...

Lucy Carmichael's reaction to "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" popped into my head recently. Her angry, disgusted murmur - "Where did you learn that? Is that what they teach you in school?" - cracks me up. I mean, of all the innocuous things to get offended at. I'd hate to think of her reaction to the 21st century. Imagine if she caught Chris singing "My Humps" or "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me" - she'd have a coronary!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Lucy Carmichael's reaction to "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" popped into my head recently. Her angry, disgusted murmur - "Where did you learn that? Is that what they teach you in school?" - cracks me up. I mean, of all the innocuous things to get offended at. I'd hate to think of her reaction to the 21st century. Imagine if she caught Chris singing "My Humps" or "Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me" - she'd have a coronary!

Or if she caught Chris twerking.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On April 5, 2018 at 9:31 PM, JoeySoCal said:

Or if Chris sang Katy Perry's "I Kissed A Girl (and I Liked It)" :HALKING:

Oh Chris would totally be one of those high school girls who's in love with Cardi B. Just imagine Lucy having Harry over for a romantic date, turning on the record player, and hearing a vinyl recording of Bodak Yellow!

• 6 months later...

Not necessarily a Little things they DO, but...

I was introducing a friend to I Love Lucy on Friday night (he had only seen The Big Three episodes), and when we happened upon Don Juan & The Starlets on his Very-Big Screen TV, I never noticed in the final scene, when Lucy crosses over behind the couch, she passes the lamp on our left side of the couch and it beautifully illuminates her face in a way I have never before noticed on the show. The light hits it just right. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ethel's Home Town:

My God, this one's full of beautiful little moments. The facial expressions of the other three when Ethel starts going off on her self-important monologues. And that disgusted cough Lucy makes afterwards never fails to make me laugh. And the "solo" recital is just chalk full of them. I especially love when Ethel wipes away that phony tear at the edge of her eye. "But enough with the sentiment, on with the show."

The more I think about it, the more I realize that "somewhere along the line, Shrinking Violet got sanforized" has got to be my single, all-time favorite line from ANY episode. I didn't know what sanforized meant the first time I watched it (years ago), but now that I get the reference, I marvel at how unbelievably clever that piece of dialogue is.

My appreciation of the writing grows every time I see any episode. You cannot underestimate their brilliance and what they gave that cast to work with.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Vivian has a moment I like in Lucy and The Missing Stamp. When Viv opens the newspaper to collect the dirt Lucy vacuumed up, she pauses for a second to look at something in the paper. Her “Well look at that.” and then putting the paper on the floor cracks me up. It’s not something needed there but it’s that little added extra bit that gives us an unexpected laugh.   

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 9:07 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

Ethel's Home Town:

My God, this one's full of beautiful little moments. The facial expressions of the other three when Ethel starts going off on her self-important monologues. And that disgusted cough Lucy makes afterwards never fails to make me laugh. And the "solo" recital is just chalk full of them. I especially love when Ethel wipes away that phony tear at the edge of her eye. "But enough with the sentiment, on with the show."

The more I think about it, the more I realize that "somewhere along the line, Shrinking Violet got sanforized" has got to be my single, all-time favorite line from ANY episode. I didn't know what sanforized meant the first time I watched it (years ago), but now that I get the reference, I marvel at how unbelievably clever that piece of dialogue is.

My appreciation of the writing grows every time I see any episode. You cannot underestimate their brilliance and what they gave that cast to work with.

You're right.  Once you read the definition of "sanforized", the line is much funnier.   One MORE term I only know from these writers.   In the wikipedia sanforized definition, they include "Sanforized (clothes)  are often labelled as pre-shrunk. "  and there you have Lucy's line in the shower "I don't know about you but I'm not pre-shrunk".  

From wikipedia, I can't tell how long the term or the method sanforized was used--maybe it still is.    I was able to give a glance to the ORIGINAL Bob & Madelyn draft of the "Ethel's Hometown" script.  I couldn't give it the thorough examination I wanted ,but I remember they repeated the shrinking violet joke a couple of times, calling Ethel "S.V."  I wonder if the chemical process of sanforizing was later deemed dangerous like DDT ("And now a group that will do away with the Beatles: the DDT'S!!"--a clever throwaway line from "Music World;  and "DDT.  You should have sprayed some on that song.")  plus "I hope he (Dore Sharey) is wearing ASBESTOS britches". 

While this is ETHEL'S episode, everybody shines (including Ethel's father and Billy Hackett)  and it's a great one, start to finish.   So good, I can forgive that the audience for Ethel's 2-song show quickly disperses when the post-show picture is taken.   The writers were really on a roll (and just think what was coming up after "Hometown"!!).  Rarely in sitcom history has the "sub-couple" been so strong that episodes could be written around them.  Even the Dick Van Dyke Show lacked that (unless you count Buddy and Sally).  Ann Morgan Gilbert was amusing but they never did a "Millie" episode (that I recall). 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neil said:

I was able to give a glance to the ORIGINAL Bob & Madelyn draft of the "Ethel's Hometown" script.  I couldn't give it the thorough examination I wanted ,but I remember they repeated the shrinking violet joke a couple of times, calling Ethel "S.V." 

Where did you find the original draft? Do you own a copy or is there an archive somewhere? Gosh, I'd love to see those.

16 hours ago, Neil said:

Rarely in sitcom history has the "sub-couple" been so strong that episodes could be written around them.

You're right. Fred and Ethel were definitely stronger than many supporting characters. Not that there's anything wrong with being merely an amusing side character who's trotted on solely for a laugh or two, but when you're lucky enough to have characters with hidden depths, it certainly gives the writers more options.

20 hours ago, Luvsbway said:

Vivian has a moment I like in Lucy and The Missing Stamp. When Viv opens the newspaper to collect the dirt Lucy vacuumed up, she pauses for a second to look at something in the paper. Her “Well look at that.” and then putting the paper on the floor cracks me up. It’s not something needed there but it’s that little added extra bit that gives us an unexpected laugh.   

The Stamp episode's not a personal favorite of mine, but Viv's reaction was very well done. It's so easy to forget that those little, non-essential moments often add the most charm, and are frequently more memorable than the "plot" itself. I don't think any of the classic shows that are still beloved would be so if every show had focused exclusively on moving the plot forward. The ones which take the time to breath tend to have staying power.

In "Lucy Puts Out a Fire at The Bank", when the girls are doing their training and Viv has Lucy pick her up, it could have easily been another cheap "Viv Fat Gag", but Vivian's delivery during Lucy's struggle makes it legitimately hilarious. Her grumblings of "Honestly, Lucy, this is embarrassing" and "You know you can pick me up" imply a couple of things: #1. Viv knows that Lucy is making a fuss because she's petty/asking for attention because she wants to be the boss and #2. Through experience, the girls have firmly established that Lucy can pick Viv up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Freddie2 said:

In "Lucy Puts Out a Fire at The Bank", when the girls are doing their training and Viv has Lucy pick her up, it could have easily been another cheap "Viv Fat Gag", but Vivian's delivery during Lucy's struggle makes it legitimately hilarious. Her grumblings of "Honestly, Lucy, this is embarrassing" and "You know you can pick me up" imply a couple of things: #1. Viv knows that Lucy is making a fuss because she's petty/asking for attention because she wants to be the boss and #2. Through experience, the girls have firmly established that Lucy can pick Viv up.

That episode surprised me the last time I saw it. It had been a long time, back when I first got the Columbia House tape which included it. I'd forgotten just how good it was. By and large, the Volunteer Fire Dept. shows tended to be highlights. I wish they hadn't abandoned that subplot entirely for season 3. 

It wasn't until this episode that I consciously registered Lucy Carmichael wasn't a smoker. It was funny watching Lucy act like she'd never had a cigarette in her life. (Off topic for a moment: I can't remember any specific moments from memory, but were Lucy and Ricky ever shown smoking after Philip Morris stopped sponsoring them? There must've been a few occasions, though not nearly as prevalent as before.)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 2:39 AM, Mot Morenzi said:

Where did you find the original draft? Do you own a copy or is there an archive somewhere? Gosh, I'd love to see those.

were Lucy and Ricky ever shown smoking after Philip Morris stopped sponsoring them? There must've been a few occasions, though not nearly as prevalent as before.)

I got to look at the bound scripts at Bob Carroll's house but studying them for too long would have been rude.  I got to know BC, Jr. well during the last decade of his life.  We sometimes had a complete conversation without one mention of Lucy!   (using all the self-control I could muster up).   The other thing I looked up was Ethel's line in Talullah "Oh, at these prices, we should have unlimited bickering" because I thought it might have been a pick up shot, substituting for another line, but no: the same line is in the script. 

Ricky's cigarette smoke is colorized in "Christmas" and I happened to catch "Ricky's Rodeo Show".  Lucy smokes during that one.  I don't think Phil Morris was still the sponsor in 1955.  "Rodeo" has its moments but usually gets lumped with the "worst".   It's only sub-par compared to the entire 5th season output.   

I'm OK with "Missing Stamp".  It's an above average 3rd season Lucy Show.  But I'm not wild about the season as a whole.   So much from the first 2 seasons was abandoned---including the great gaggle of "Volunteer" gals.  No Audrey, no Frannie, no Thelma (now  "Mrs. Valance"), and the kids were now just an after-thought.   When Sherman reappears in the first "Countess" show, he's considerably taller than the last time we saw him.  (and did we even see him him in any previous shows from the season?)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Neil said:

I got to look at the bound scripts at Bob Carroll's house but studying them for too long would have been rude.  I got to know BC, Jr. well during the last decade of his life.  We sometimes had a complete conversation without one mention of Lucy!   (using all the self-control I could muster up).   The other thing I looked up was Ethel's line in Talullah "Oh, at these prices, we should have unlimited bickering" because I thought it might have been a pick up shot, substituting for another line, but no: the same line is in the script. 

Ricky's cigarette smoke is colorized in "Christmas" and I happened to catch "Ricky's Rodeo Show".  Lucy smokes during that one.  I don't think Phil Morris was still the sponsor in 1955.  "Rodeo" has its moments but usually gets lumped with the "worst".   It's only sub-par compared to the entire 5th season output.   

I'm OK with "Missing Stamp".  It's an above average 3rd season Lucy Show.  But I'm not wild about the season as a whole.   So much from the first 2 seasons was abandoned---including the great gaggle of "Volunteer" gals.  No Audrey, no Frannie, no Thelma (now  "Mrs. Valance"), and the kids were now just an after-thought.   When Sherman reappears in the first "Countess" show, he's considerably taller than the last time we saw him.  (and did we even see him him in any previous shows from the season?)

How wonderful you got to become friends with him! 

Yeah, I thought we saw them with cigarettes on a few occasions after PM stop sponsoring. The brands were just never mentioned after that.

Curious that the Mertzes were never depicted as smokers. You'd think considering how desperate PM was that they'd have forced Vance and Frawley to do so. I'm honestly surprised they never stipulated that a character named "Philip Morris" be a series regular.

I don't hate Stamp, per se, but it's just not a favorite. Lucy Carmichael is very whiny and grating in that installment, and Viv overplays the haughty, which makes her far less funny.

Not only was Sherman taller in his last appearance, but his voice had audibly deepened. I believe Ralph Hart did six episodes during season three, but they were primarily one-scene bit parts. All of the children were basically afterthoughts that year.

• Haha 1

When I did my watch every show in order experiment, smoking was one thing I looked for. As for Lucy it's about the same amount. As for Ricky, it actually increased. By the comedy hours it seems like Desi switched part time to those thin cigars, so you'll see those too.

The Mertz's did smoke on at least 2 occasions. Equal Rights was one when they all passed the cigarettes around the table. There was at least one other time in season 1. But they always seem so unnatural doing it. I just figured that Viv and Bill were not smokers so therefore did a puff and put it in the ashtray. But in recent years I've found at least 3 pictures circa late 50's early 60s off the set where Viv has a cigarette in her hand, so maybe she was a part time smoker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Curious that the Mertzes were never depicted as smokers. You'd think considering how desperate PM was that they'd have forced Vance and Frawley to do so. I'm honestly surprised they never stipulated that a character named "Philip Morris" be a series regular.

:lucy1:Philip if it's a boy...

:desi1:...and Morris if it's a girl!

Until (re)watching "Fire at The Bank", I didn't realize that Lucy Carmichael wasn't supposed to be a smoker. Would it be possible to assume that the "no smoking" character trait was introduced just for the sake of the gag? Maybe she was one back in the day, but Barnsdahl/Mooney's budget wouldn't allow it (cigarettes are expensive)! In LWL, health-nut Lucy Barker chastises Leonard for smoking, and I don't think we see Lucy Carter light up, either. It would've made for quite the Here's Lucy plot line if she mixed up her cigarettes with one of Craig's:lucythrill:

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that Equal Rights scene. As for LWL, it's kind of hard not to imagine Lucy Barker smoking, what with that voice and all!

On the subject of sponsors and cast commercials, was there a specific reason Lucille never did any commercials on "The Lucy Show"? Was she just too busy? Surely if she was okay pitching cigarettes and Lilt she wouldn't have had any objections to Jell-O Pudding, Dream Whip and Swan. Look at all the Jell-O commercials she did on the radio. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"No Children Allowed" is really a wonderful episode.  Nothing outlandish happens.  The plot moves along briskly and plenty of true-to-life laughs along the way.  The "little things...." in this episode that I've never noticed before:  the very last shot of Mrs. Trumball holding the baby.  It's quick but when the camera zooms in as Mrs. T is saying her "don't worry, you'll always have me" speech, she looks up from the baby and gives the 4 a quick side glance  look.  So real and a perfect ending to this perfect little episode.  And it sets up that Mrs. Trumble would, in the future be their on-call willing baby-sitter.   I wish during the Europe arc, they had had a "Meanwhile Back in New York" episode with Trumble and Mrs. M. ( where scatterbrained Mrs. M brings the wrong "baby" home from nursery school and the two panic.)    Spin-off material!