Johnny Carson Lucy

This is fantastic news! There should be a place where old talk shows can be rerun. I'd love to see Dinah, Mike Douglas, and Merv Griffin shows run some place.

Here is information about the TCM deal and the list of celebrity interviews that will be included:

Turner Classic Movies has licensed 50 of Johnny Carson’s “Tonight” show interviews from the Carson Entertainment Group – including chats with some brighter bygone stars in the Hollywood firmament: Bette Davis, James Stewart, Fred Astaire, William Holden, Gregory Peck, Gene Kelly, Henry Fonda, etc.

TCM previously ran a series of Dick Cavett talk show interviews, with Mel Brooks, Woody Allen, Robert Mitchum, Alfred Hitchcock, etc. – which went on sale as a DVD collection. Cavett was writer for Carson, as well as “Tonight” show’s second host Jack Paar, before landing his own talk show

Anyway, many of the interviews in “Carson on TCM” have not aired since they first premiered on NBC.

Unlike Jay Leno, Carson owned the rights to his “Tonight” show broadcasts, not NBC.

“Carson on TCM” also will include an interview with Truman Capote, who had some pointed things to say about Hollywood stars.

And yes, TCM’s current “The Essentials” co-host Drew Barrymore will be included in the lineup – at age 7. None of her more-talented thespian ancestors, though -- sadly.

The project was pitched to TCM by Peter Jones, who also produced PBS’s docu “Johnny Carson: King of Late Night,” and Carson Entertainment Group prez Jeff Sotzing.

On TCM, Carson will be seen interviewing:

Don Adams

Julie Andrews

Fred Astaire

Lauren Bacall

Lucille Ball

Drew Barrymore

Jack Benny

Candice Bergen

Carol Burnett

George Burns

Mel Brooks

Michael Caine

Truman Capote

Chevy Chase

Sean Connery

Bing Crosby

Tony Curtis

Bette Davis

Sammy Davis Jr.

Doris Day

Dom DeLuise

Angie Dickinson

Kirk Douglas

Sally Field

Henry Fonda

Goldie Hawn

Charlton Heston

William Holden

Bob Hope

Diane Keaton

Gene Kelly

Jack Lemmon

Steve Martin

Dudley Moore

Mary Tyler Moore

Gregory Peck

Tony Randall

Ronald Reagan

Burt Reynolds

Susan Sarandon

George C. Scott

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Neil Simon

Red Skelton

Sylvester Stallone

James Stewart

Elizabeth Taylor

Robin Williams

Jonathan Winters

Shelley Winters

My link

This is fantastic news! There should be a place where old talk shows can be rerun. I'd love to see Dinah, Mike Douglas, and Merv Griffin shows run some place.

Here is information about the TCM deal and the list of celebrity interviews that will be included:

My link

Absolutely terrific news, can't wait!

I really hope these interviews are put together on DVD. For the life of me I can not understand why the Carson estate has not put these classics out sooner. For a long time much of the old stuff was just being repackaged. Drove me crazy! I wonder which interviews with Lucy they will be showing. Does anyone have any specific moment they remember that they would like to see again?

I really hope these interviews are put together on DVD. For the life of me I can not understand why the Carson estate has not put these classics out sooner. For a long time much of the old stuff was just being repackaged. Drove me crazy! I wonder which interviews with Lucy they will be showing. Does anyone have any specific moment they remember that they would like to see again?

I want to see the Carson show with Desi Sr. in which he talks about what Lucy and him did in bed together or whatever he said about their sex life. I wonder if Lucy was ever embarassed when Desi would air their dirty bidnazz like that. LMAO :lucyhorror::marionstrong::lucythrill:

I want to see the Carson show with Desi Sr. in which he talks about what Lucy and him did in bed together or whatever he said about their sex life. I wonder if Lucy was ever embarassed when Desi would air their dirty bidnazz like that. LMAO :lucyhorror::marionstrong::lucythrill:

WHAT!?? LOL Yeah Id really like to see that too! Do you remember what he said :marionstrong:

Holy cow!! :marionstrong: Yeah Id really like to see that. Johnny would never ask about those things. He was very sly never that raw. Joan must have been guest hosting. :marionstrong:

It was Johnny that was hosting. I've only been told what he said, but I've never seen it myself. This was probably around the time Desi's autobio came out.

It was Johnny that was hosting. I've only been told what he said, but I've never seen it myself. This was probably around the time Desi's autobio came out.

Well I know Johnny did interview Desi once. But I think Desi was on a couple of other times when Joan was hosting. Man! Can anyone here remember Desi's appearances on the tonight show?

I've seen Desi's 1976 appearance with Johnny to promote A Book. I have absolutely no recollection of this topic being discussed. Desi was on the show in 1971 and 1972 with Johnny, but those tapes no longer exist. I believe Desi was also on with McLean Stevenson as guest host in 1976. I'm not sure when the Joan Rivers episode (seen in Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie) was. I don't know if any other Desi appearances on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

I've seen Desi's 1976 appearance with Johnny to promote A Book. I have absolutely no recollection of this topic being discussed. Desi was on the show in 1971 and 1972 with Johnny, but those tapes no longer exist. I believe Desi was also on with McLean Stevenson as guest host in 1976. I'm not sure when the Joan Rivers episode (seen in Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie) was. I don't know if any other Desi appearances on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

Thanks Harry! Did you see the 1976 appearance online or do you mean you saw the interview when it aired? I sure wish I could see it!

Thanks Harry! Did you see the 1976 appearance online or do you mean you saw the interview when it aired? I sure wish I could see it!

All of the existing Johnny hosted episodes are in the collection of the Paley Center for Media (formerly the Museum of Television & Radio) in New York and California. That is where I watched it.

All of the existing Johnny hosted episodes are in the collection of the Paley Center for Media (formerly the Museum of Television & Radio) in New York and California. That is where I watched it.

Sigh. Then I guess I won't be seeing it. Bummer. Im very ignorant about these things so please help me out. Can I see these interviews through the Paley Center? Is a lot of red tape involved?

Sigh. Then I guess I won't be seeing it. Bummer. Im very ignorant about these things so please help me out. Can I see these interviews through the Paley Center? Is a lot of red tape involved?

If you go to the Paley Center in person, you can view anything in their collection. They do not own the rights to the programs in the collection, so they are not online or available any other way.

Lucy was always saying things that maybe were private and should not be aired on tv, but mostly it was about her kids, nothing really bad. Of course her personal opinions, she never shyed away from those. Like when she said she wanted to kill Marlon Brando for doing that sex and butter scene in Last Tango in Paris, LOL!

• 7 months later...

The Johnny Carson interviews begin airing on TCM tonight at 8:00pm EST. The interview with Lucy does not have an airdate yet. Tonight's group includes Drew Barrymore, Kirk Douglas, Mary Tyler Moore, Neil Simon, and George Burns.

They have only released the July lineup. Im sure they will be airing her interview in August since that was the month she was born.

They have only released the July lineup. Im sure they will be airing her interview in August since that was the month she was born.

I don't think Lucy will be on in August either. August is TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" month and Lucy is not one of the people in the lineup this year. Hopefully September!

Archived