LUCY MEETS THE STARS PHOTO THREAD

Lucyilove

One of my frequent commenters on Facebook gave me more me info on these pics.

This was at the thalians ball 1974 where Lucy was the honoree named "miss wonderful " at the century plaza talking with future honoree (1994) Liza Minnelli and founding member Hugh o brien.

• Like 1

One of my frequent commenters on Facebook gave me more me info on these pics.

This was at the thalians ball 1974 where Lucy was the honoree named "miss wonderful " at the century plaza talking with future honoree (1994) Liza Minnelli and founding member Hugh o brien.

Thalians?? If Ruta or Debbie had been in these I would have thought it might have been one of their events.

I've got a Thalians connection who may well have been in attendance! I'll have to check in with him and see if he remembers this (what appears to be) memorable event!

I was unaware (or forgot?) of Hugh's connection.... but now it makes sense:  Otherwise, he's someone I never would have imagined would be in Lucy's orbit! :blink:

Debbie was actually not present for Lucy's Thalians tribute. She was starring in Irene on Broadway at the time and sent a prerecorded message. Liza's presence was a big deal. It was her first appearance after marrying Jack Haley Jr.

Nice to see she and Lucy were still friendly despite her split with Jr.  :peachonthebeach:

Here's a great quote from Lucy about the time Desi and Liza were dating. It's pure Lucy.

Lucy’s thought on her son dating Liza- “What the hell, they’re having a fine spree. I just hope it lasts for Desi and Liza. They don’t have time to get married. Their scene is the world and they’re swinging in there. I’m the one who talked marriage to them. One night I said: Look kids, don’t get married too soon. They were upset. Desi countered with the observation that you don’t have to settle down when you get married. So I go- well, that’s true, son! The subject just never came up again. They’re a nice couple. They present themselves well without becoming asses,. I’ve told the kids to do as they wish. –newspaper article 1972

• Like 1

Here's a great quote from Lucy about the time Desi and Liza were dating. It's pure Lucy.

Lucy’s thought on her son dating Liza- “What the hell, they’re having a fine spree. I just hope it lasts for Desi and Liza. They don’t have time to get married. Their scene is the world and they’re swinging in there. I’m the one who talked marriage to them. One night I said: Look kids, don’t get married too soon. They were upset. Desi countered with the observation that you don’t have to settle down when you get married. So I go- well, that’s true, son! The subject just never came up again. They’re a nice couple. They present themselves well without becoming asses,. I’ve told the kids to do as they wish. –newspaper article 1972

I wonder perhaps if she flashed back to her own youthful dalliance with a younger still Dashing Desi and what a whirlwind romance they enjoyed!

Ahhh l'amour, l'amour! :HALKING:

I wonder perhaps if she flashed back to her own youthful dalliance with a younger still Dashing Desi and what a whirlwind romance they enjoyed!

Ahhh l'amour, l'amour! :HALKING:

And Lucy was the one who was "Can't we just live together." When faced with the let's get married tomorrow proclamation.

• Like 1

bos.jpg

This is cool! Never would have matched these three up! Also makes me think this is another popular, long-running sitcom she could have (should have??) made a guest appearance on...playing perhaps Katherine Helmond's character (Mona -- another redhead -- Judith Light's mom) sister or rival of some sort...that would have been fun! :peachonthebeach:

• Like 1

Thalians?? If Ruta or Debbie had been in these I would have thought it might have been one of their events.

I've got a Thalians connection who may well have been in attendance! I'll have to check in with him and see if he remembers this (what appears to be) memorable event!

I was unaware (or forgot?) of Hugh's connection.... but now it makes sense:  Otherwise, he's someone I never would have imagined would be in Lucy's orbit! :blink:

Wasn't Hugh's (big-time show) a Desilu Studio-filmed product?  That would make Lucille (as Marlo Thomas put it:  'my landlady')?????

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm...since a couple of faces look familiar but can only positively identify the Frank Sinatras and Hal Linden (and Lucie, of course) hard to see but it makes me wonder if it wasn't something to do with one of Barbara's charities in the desert, as in her later years she was I've learned heavily involved in those activities there and of course, often rallied her "celebrity" friends for $upport. :peachonthebeach:

20 hours ago, JoeyCentralCal said:

Hmmm...since a couple of faces look familiar but can only positively identify the Frank Sinatras and Hal Linden (and Lucie, of course) hard to see but it makes me wonder if it wasn't something to do with one of Barbara's charities in the desert, as in her later years she was I've learned heavily involved in those activities there and of course, often rallied her "celebrity" friends for $upport. :peachonthebeach:

I believe you are correct, Joey; and  I remember something; let me have a look and get back to ya.... later today, tomorrow.  Loving you, JK:fabrary: