LUCY MEETS THE STARS PHOTO THREAD

Lucyilove

Too bad the HL/DD hour didn't do some cross-over episodes like "Golden Girls" and "Empty Nest".  The common thread is that as widows, their late husbands were never mentioned** and after their kids got in the way of plots were done away with.  At least there was SOME explanation, however fleeting, on The Lucy Show.  When Doris became a career gal in San Fran, there was no mention of what happened to her boys and eventually she is referred to as MISS Martin. Maybe Doris couldn't face her sons after they discovered that "Grandpa" Denver Pyle was only 2 years older than mother Doris; and that their late father was actually their older brother, depriving Doris of an Emmy-worthy confession scene as the boys take turns slapping her face (ala "Chinatown"): "He was your brother" (slap) He was your father" (slap)  "He was your  brother AND your father!"

To make matters all the more confusing, there was actually a scene in a 4th or 5th season episode -- one of the episodes with Peter Lawford -- and "Miss" (used to be Mrs.) Doris Martin answers the phone and it's her MOTHER!  And her mother (who was supposed to be dead but now is alive) is apparently a widow (so much for Denver Pyle's character).  So . . . when the show started, Doris' Dad and the kids existed, Doris was a widow, and her mother was deceased.  By the time it ended, the kids didn't exist anywhere in Doris's world, there was no late husband as she had never even been married, her dad was deceased and her mother was resurrected from her grave.  And Doris managed to survive this Twilight Zone metamorphosis in the same apartment and with Willard Jarvis (Bille De Wolfe) as a witness to it all.  But somehow he didn't seem to be aware!  (Annoying kids?  What kids?  You mean the ones I used to see running around in Doris's apartment?  No, I never saw them before.)

For its 2 years following HL, TDDS was #23 for 71-72 (HL:#10) and then dropped out of the top 30 the next, ending its 5 year run.  Doris's contract was for 5 years, so did she or CBS end it?

According to these articles, they made a mutual decision to end the show.  Doris didn't want to continue the show, and CBS didn't want her to continue it, either.  So everyone got what they wanted.  If Doris had wanted a sixth season, CBS likely would have said no.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=85scAAAAIBAJ&sjid=sWYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7644,678091&dq=ratings+doris-day&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Ob8MAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JmADAAAAIBAJ&pg=3740,4204135&dq=ratings+doris-day&hl=en

To make matters all the more confusing, there was actually a scene in a 4th or 5th season episode -- one of the episodes with Peter Lawford -- and "Miss" (used to be Mrs.) Doris Martin answers the phone and it's her MOTHER!  And her mother (who was supposed to be dead but now is alive) is apparently a widow (so much for Denver Pyle's character).  So . . . when the show started, Doris' Dad and the kids existed, Doris was a widow, and her mother was deceased.  By the time it ended, the kids didn't exist anywhere in Doris's world, there was no late husband as she had never even been married, her dad was deceased and her mother was resurrected from her grave.  And Doris managed to survive this Twilight Zone metamorphosis in the same apartment and with Willard Jarvis (Bille De Wolfe) as a witness to it all.  But somehow he didn't seem to be aware!  (Annoying kids?  What kids?  You mean the ones I used to see running around in Doris's apartment?  No, I never saw them before.)

According to these articles, they made a mutual decision to end the show.  Doris didn't want to continue the show, and CBS didn't want her to continue it, either.  So everyone got what they wanted.  If Doris had wanted a sixth season, CBS likely would have said no.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=85scAAAAIBAJ&sjid=sWYEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7644,678091&dq=ratings+doris-day&hl=en

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Ob8MAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JmADAAAAIBAJ&pg=3740,4204135&dq=ratings+doris-day&hl=en

Well Doris and possibly Kaye Ballard were the only things great about that series, it was never a laugh riot.

Well Doris and possibly Kaye Ballard were the only things great about that series, it was never a laugh riot.

I agree with that.  There was only a single episode in this entire series ("The Chocolate Bar War") that made me laugh.  That's about the only one that's worth watching more than once.  Most of the episodes really aren't worth watching at all.

I agree with that.  There was only a single episode in this entire series ("The Chocolate Bar War") that made me laugh.  That's about the only one that's worth watching more than once.  Most of the episodes really aren't worth watching at all.

That's why i never bought the series.  BUT, i did get any special of hers or movie that she starred in.  Her specials were sugary sweet like her series but her singing saved them though.  Doris had some great comments about Rock that i've read recently, seems she was just devastated when she saw him for the last time and said goodbye, he hugged and kissed her but she would later hear of his death and remember him as one of her favorite performers, ever.

That's why i never bought the series.  BUT, i did get any special of hers or movie that she starred in.  Her specials were sugary sweet like her series but her singing saved them though.  Doris had some great comments about Rock that i've read recently, seems she was just devastated when she saw him for the last time and said goodbye, he hugged and kissed her but she would later hear of his death and remember him as one of her favorite performers, ever.

I've seen one of those specials in recent years -- the one with John Denver. I like her, I like him. I think they worked together nicely.  The public personas of both of them were similar, although JD had a dark private side. 

I remember when she had that series in the '80s about pets (is that what it was?), I can recall she had Rock Hudson as a guest.  I think he had already passed by the time it aired.

I've seen one of those specials in recent years -- the one with John Denver. I like her, I like him. I think they worked together nicely.  The public personas of both of them were similar, although JD had a dark private side. 

I remember when she had that series in the '80s about pets (is that what it was?), I can recall she had Rock Hudson as a guest.  I think he had already passed by the time it aired.

Her life was no walk in the park either, several marriages, getting beat up by her first hubby, while pregnant yet, and then her third hubby screwing her out of millions she had earned through the years and even singing her up for that cornball tv series without her even knowing about it.  As for Rock, imagine the look on her face when she had asked him to be on but then seeing him ravaged by AIDS without getting any warning.

• Like 1

What season is this "Chocolate Bar" episode?  Yes, I bought them all.  They put so much effort into them, I felt I had to support them.

So Doris had a mother in one episode?  This makes Lucy Carmichael's Jimmy/Jerry mistake not look so bad.   Later writers didn't seem to get the original premise.  Even Bob and Madelyn, usually pretty good about this stuff, had Harry's sister being the nun Sister Paula played by mary Wickes.  No mention of Paula also being Lucy's sister in law.

What season is this "Chocolate Bar" episode?  Yes, I bought them all.  They put so much effort into them, I felt I had to support them.

So Doris had a mother in one episode?  This makes Lucy Carmichael's Jimmy/Jerry mistake not look so bad.   Later writers didn't seem to get the original premise.  Even Bob and Madelyn, usually pretty good about this stuff, had Harry's sister being the nun Sister Paula played by mary Wickes.  No mention of Paula also being Lucy's sister in law.

I think the "Chocolate Bar" episode is season two.  And yes, what they did to Mrs./Miss Doris Martin, the widow and mother who was never married and never had any children and lived with her widowed father reminiscing about her late mother until her mom called her several years later is by far worse than Lucy calling her son by the wrong name.  Bad mother for sure, forgetting her son's name, but at least she knew she had a son!

So "Chocolate" was featured when she was still on the farm?  I don't suppose the plot is a conveyor belt with chocolates to wrap that was too close to the rabbit cage.

And Lucy Carmichael completely missed the seething resentment is his letter (sent postage due: nice touch, Jimmy/Jerry), "we're required to send a letter to our parents once a week.  This is it." which Lucy thought was cute (really?) but Mooney thought was not worth a nickel, the price for a letter postage at the time.   We had a sort of scatterbrained mother in our neighborhood, who was out of stamps, so instead taped 5 pennies to the envelope!  Now, THERE was a Lucy Carter.

7847.JPG

Lucy and Sammy died within a year of each other.  Later, Gary and Altovoese appeared on the Joan Rivers talk show about widows/ers of stars; with Gary and Alto kvetching that nobody calls them anymore.  I have an idea.  Call each other!

I think this was her appearance promoting Yours Mine and Ours.  They showed clips from the movie, then all the kids came out to do a "YMO" production number with Lucy that mainly consisted of her marching around.  The intro conversation went SOMETHING like this:

Ed: I've been an admirer of yours for years.

Lucy: Oh, and I've been an admirer of you.

Ed: I've always loved your show.

Lucy: And I've always loved your show.

Ed: And your face, it's so animated and expressive.

Lucy:..(pause)....And I've always loved your show.